NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

How would you change Sierra Chart?

Discussion in Sierra Chart

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Big Mike with 11 posts (40 thanks)
    2. looks_two mattz with 9 posts (24 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Japhro with 8 posts (7 thanks)
    4. looks_4 cory with 4 posts (6 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one DarkPoolTrading with 6 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Big Mike with 3.6 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 puma with 3.3 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 mattz with 2.7 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 53,567 views
    2. thumb_up 199 thanks given
    3. group 58 followers
    1. forum 106 posts
    2. attach_file 3 attachments

Search this Thread

How would you change Sierra Chart?

lezzlee
Budapest, Hungary

Thanks Given: 41
Thanks Received: 37

Hi,

I have some ideas which may help to you..

- Use Chartbooks (settings of multiple chart windows) and StudyCollections (studies/indicator setting for one chart). You may then change between them whenever you wish.

- You can quickly change study parameters this way: Chart Studies - Sierra Chart

- You may find interesting the Study/Price Overlay study to copy indicator lines to another chart.

- You can save your current settings as default for a study if you check Save these settings as the default on the very bottom of the study settings dialog window.

- You can set time zone in Global Settings / Data/Trade service settings, as well on a per chart basis in Chart Settings / Advanced settings tab. Also you can set the time zone of a specific market in Global Settings / Symbol Settings, find the symbol then Intraday tab. When Apply Intraday settings on intraday charts is checked (lower left) this will overwrite your other settings.. if not else in a manner of what part of a day is shown on the chart.

I hope these help

Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader
Pivot Indicator like the old SwingTemp by Big Mike
NinjaTrader
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
26 thanks
Diary of a simple price action trader
26 thanks
Tao te Trade: way of the WLD
23 thanks
My NQ Trading Journal
16 thanks
HumbleTraders next chapter
9 thanks
Onisowo
Ocala, Florida

Thanks Given: 69
Thanks Received: 41

Include a fully supported Renko chart type implementation. I know of no platform the offers FULL support of Renko charting.

grayfrog 
Los Angeles, CA

Experience: Advanced
Thanks Given: 42
Thanks Received: 13

Support probably hates me by now but I'd add options tables. Options are such an integral part of trading it really precludes Sierra Charts from being a top trading platform.

Thanked by:
NStrade
Russia

Thanks Given: 5
Thanks Received: 1

need Lifetime license)))

grayfrog 
Los Angeles, CA

Thanks Given: 42
Thanks Received: 13

NStrade View Post
need Lifetime license)))

Definitely would be a great addition to Sierra although they will never do it in my own personal opinion. The subscription model is a stronger business model these days and also sustains continued development and improvement.......

This said, I truly believe that Sierra is probably the best platform out there and the developers are incredibly responsive but I've started to look elsewhere.

Here are my main issues with Sierra:

- Lack of options tables, even simple options tables. I find it very hard to believe that anyone who trades seriously doesn't utilize options, even just at times, as part of their trading strategy. Along these lines, I don't think you can have a modern professional generalized trading platform without options tables.

- Organized data feed. The team at Sierra has done an incredible job with the TTFix execution route and Denali. I am by no means a professional trader but I am quite type A and been in this game a while. I feel at this point I've done a fair amount of research on the data and platform issue out there for the retail trader. The Denali feed is definitely second to none and they have put a ton of work into it. The issue I have is that Denali is very much a work in progress. As of now, if you are trading equities, options and futures, you need to subscribe to both the Denali and the Sierra real time exchange feeds. They are compensating for this inconvenience by giving a discount on the Sierra real time feed if you subscribe to both Denali and Sierra but still; it feels disorganized and quite pieced together. Again, they are working on it, know it's an issue, but it is a current glaring issue.

Clearly, I know nothing of their business model or organizational structure but it does seem that the Sierra Charts group could do more to hire people to who can push along certain large idea projects.....again, I have no personal experience with doing something like this but just my take as an outsider.

lgix
Somewhere + Australia

Thanks Given: 1
Thanks Received: 12

Sierra Charts is incredibly powerful and customizable. It also generally has a horrible menu and interface which doesn't make it immediately apparent just how powerful it is, this can definitely be a turn off at first if you're coming from a more UI friendly platform like NinjaTrader or TradeStation

Aside from hiring a UX Designer to improve the accessibility of the platform, and overhauling the UI, which are both huge and expenseive tasks; something relatively simple to include would be some advanced Chart Book examples tailored to specific styles of trading. This would go a long way of showcasing what Sierra Charts can do and give clients an idea of how they can customize their setup.

Thanked by:
nikoniss
Hong Kong

Thanks Given: 8
Thanks Received: 4

i wish their HLC bars could expand and contract in width as you zoom in and out like other platforms

Viro Major 
Andorra

Thanks Given: 28
Thanks Received: 8

SierraChart is a quality, feature rich software with perpetual efficient & quick improvements by the developpers, plus great support despite the tone (that I personally appreciate, to the point). If only the outdated and cumbersome UI could be updated, it would be perfect...

JWM1270
Las Vegas, NV

Thanks Given: 2
Thanks Received: 0

It's a great platform. They are constantly making improvements and will take suggestions from their customers.

JERnWAVES
Cleveland, Ohio/USA

Thanks Given: 3
Thanks Received: 7

Big Mike View Post
Please share what you would do differently with Sierra Chart and why.

Mike

Hi Mike,

I’d like to see 2 minute charts! 5 minute charts can move pretty far before you see an entry signal and 1 minute charts don’t allow enough read time! I know I’m unusual!

Last Updated on April 3, 2023

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts