NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

How would you change Sierra Chart?

Discussion in Sierra Chart

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Big Mike with 11 posts (40 thanks)
    2. looks_two mattz with 9 posts (24 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Japhro with 8 posts (7 thanks)
    4. looks_4 puma with 4 posts (13 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one DarkPoolTrading with 6 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Big Mike with 3.6 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 puma with 3.3 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 mattz with 2.7 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 53,845 views
    2. thumb_up 199 thanks given
    3. group 58 followers
    1. forum 106 posts
    2. attach_file 3 attachments

Search this Thread

How would you change Sierra Chart?

Sawtooth 
Prescott AZ USA

Experience: Advanced
Platform: SierraChart
Broker: Stage5, FCM:Dorman, Data:Denali, Routing:Teton
Trading: YM ES NQ
Thanks Given: 219
Thanks Received: 603

bradhouser View Post
When I playback a spreadsheet trading system, all the charts are updated periodically, and price action is automatically kept in view, EXCEPT for the chart being traded. Eventually, the price moves off the top or bottom of the chart window.

I know it saves CPU time to not scroll it, but then if you can scroll all the other charts, why not scroll this, the most important one too? I should not have to adjust, which often times requires pausing the playback.

Right click in the price axis and choose 'Automatic', then double click in the price axis to center it. Now it will not walk off the screen.

Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
About a successful futures trader who didnt know anythin …
Psychology and Money Management
What broker to use for trading palladium futures
Commodities
Pivot Indicator like the old SwingTemp by Big Mike
NinjaTrader
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
Cheap historycal L1 data for stocks
Stocks and ETFs

Sawtooth 
Prescott AZ USA

Experience: Advanced
Platform: SierraChart
Broker: Stage5, FCM:Dorman, Data:Denali, Routing:Teton
Trading: YM ES NQ
Thanks Given: 219
Thanks Received: 603

When doing a Replay Chart, with 'For All Charts In Chartbook' selected, the replay should not start until all charts have loaded their data.
As it is now, the chart used to start the replay will begin the replay before another chart has fully loaded its data.

Thanked by:
 choke35 
Germany

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Other
Trading: ES, YM, 6E
Thanks Given: 5,101
Thanks Received: 6,558

fyi

Starting with release 1663 SC supports combining CME trades into their original summaries.
The feature was requested several times here on FIO, esp by order flow / volume traders.

"1663 Release Date: 2017-12-08

Time and Sales window supports through a new combining option, the combining of CME trades into the original summary trade when using the Sierra Chart Exchange Data Feed."

Source: https://www.sierrachart.com/index.php?page=doc/Whats_New.php

mrphr 
London

Experience: None
Platform: .
Trading: .
Thanks Given: 65
Thanks Received: 182

mboxwave View Post
It would be great if Sierra Chart added native support for linux. I am a huge linux fan and see that they have QT libraries already sitting in the folder when you install Sierra Chart. But for those that don't know, you can run Sierra Chart in linux if you use wine. Actually runs quite well. Have been using it for a while in my trading setup.

It would be great [as I am a GNU/Linux "fan" as well] but unfortunately if you look at their web site is unlikely that they will support Linux and more likely that they will support macOS. Better than nothing but again unfortunately they do not have a time frame to when this will be done.

Regarding of using SC in Linux with Wine, I never tried because when I was researching on SC forums about it, SC team/engineers do not recommend doing this and they say that there will be problems...

bottakemoney
Pflugerville, texas

Thanks Given: 0
Thanks Received: 6

I do like them for trade execution, and clean charts... but I wish there was a dynamic fib levels tool that had confluence of different time frame fib levels on one chart. I have seen this for a forex market, but not for futures markets.

SierraChart 
New Zealand

Experience: Master
Platform: Sierra Chart
Broker: Numerous
Trading: NONE
Thanks Given: 4
Thanks Received: 243

The 64-bit version of Sierra Chart has now been released as of a few weeks ago.

You just need to update with Help >> Download Current Version.

There will be an icon for it on your desktop that ends with_64. But it should automatically run anyway as long as long as the Windows you are running is 64-bit which is the case for 95% of our users.

We also hope in about two weeks to release the CME market by order data which will support additional levels of market depth. We will also include the number of orders at each price level in the market depth data display. This will only though be available with the Sierra Chart Exchange Data Feed but with other supported trading services additional levels of depth have been available for a while now anyway.

As far as other operating support goes, that is actively being worked on indirectly by making changes to the internal design of Sierra Chart to allow it to be ported to another operating systems easily. But still this really is a major development task that still is not likely to be a reality until 2019. But we do think it is going to be a reality due to the definitive progress being made.

bradhouser
Northern California where the girls are warm

Thanks Given: 15
Thanks Received: 72

If I overlay a study from a source chart in one time zone (e.g. New York) onto a destination chart in a different time zone, (e.g. Seattle), the times are treated the same as if they are in the same time zone. So the study value that occurs at 12:00 Noon in New York ends up being displayed in the Seattle (destination) chart at 12:00 Noon, when it should be moved to the equivalent time in Seattle(9:00AM). This causes inconsistent results depending on the global time zone setting. It seems only the last bar in the destination matches the correct last bar of the source.

The study values being overlaid are ending up at the wrong place in time, and there is a hockey stick at the end of the line. This makes no sense to me.

The chart on the left (destination) is in PDT, the one on the right (source) is in EST. Try changing the time zone in either one and the overlay changes. The only correct one is when they match, which defeats the purpose.

There are reasons why one would want a chart fixed to New York time (session times, studies that have specific times in them like Globex Hi and Low) and why one would want to trade in their own time zone.

Here is what a 50 ema overlay from a 1 minute chart in New York appears on a volume chart in a time zone in Seattle: https://www.sierrachart.com/image.php?Image=1521027195940.png

Sierra has stated that I am first one to mention this, and they have no intention on fixing it (as of 3/13). They say it would be inefficient to implement this. I suppose, but I would think an internal global time reference could be used by all charts, and then offset when desired on a chart by chart basis.

So if you are using overlaid studies, then the source and destination charts should all be in the same time zone.

Anyone else feel this is an issue?

sureway 
San Diego

Trading: CL
Thanks Given: 43
Thanks Received: 7

I was just on board with Sierra Charts for a couple of weeks. Extremely love its efficiency, powerfulness, comprehensiveness, and nerdyness

Among the many great tools, Zig Zag is a cool tool. And I am wondering, whether there is a chance to make it a basic bar type, kind of like a reversal bar. The issue of using the current Zig Zag tool constructed from other bar types (time bars for example) is: the time bar is the basic calculation unit where the detailed tick information can not be accurately assigned to the correct Zig Zag lines. Say the Zig Zag line reverses at a certain time-based bar where its high serves at the reversal price --- a transition from a UP line to a Down line. The ticks before the reversal price should be assigned to the UP line, and the ticks at and after the reversal price should be assigned to the Down line.

It seems that the only way to get calculation exact is to have its own Zig Zag bar type. And this will be indeed a variant of the reversal bar which uses the reversal prices to delimit the bars. Once we have this bar type, the Volume By Price and Numbers bars tools will reveal much more clear picture of the bid/ask dynamics.

Thanks for your consideration!

Best,

Sureway

sureway 
San Diego

Trading: CL
Thanks Given: 43
Thanks Received: 7

Thinking of the actually coding, my guess is a slight modification of the reversal bar might just do the work.

sureway View Post
I was just on board with Sierra Charts for a couple of weeks. Extremely love its efficiency, powerfulness, comprehensiveness, and nerdyness

Among the many great tools, Zig Zag is a cool tool. And I am wondering, whether there is a chance to make it a basic bar type, kind of like a reversal bar. The issue of using the current Zig Zag tool constructed from other bar types (time bars for example) is: the time bar is the basic calculation unit where the detailed tick information can not be accurately assigned to the correct Zig Zag lines. Say the Zig Zag line reverses at a certain time-based bar where its high serves at the reversal price --- a transition from a UP line to a Down line. The ticks before the reversal price should be assigned to the UP line, and the ticks at and after the reversal price should be assigned to the Down line.

It seems that the only way to get calculation exact is to have its own Zig Zag bar type. And this will be indeed a variant of the reversal bar which uses the reversal prices to delimit the bars. Once we have this bar type, the Volume By Price and Numbers bars tools will reveal much more clear picture of the bid/ask dynamics.

Thanks for your consideration!

Best,

Sureway

buda 
London, UK

Experience: Master
Platform: Sierra Chart, MarketDelta
Trading: ES, CL, GC
Thanks Given: 0
Thanks Received: 0

I wish they had some kind of inspector so you could quickly change study / chart settings. Also if study / chart settings could be 'styled' so that a change on one chart automatically updates on another one. The current remove and re-add study process gets tedious.

Also, chart settings should be savable similar to study settings. It's outrageous that I frequently need to change the time zone from universal time to NY time. I've changed every time setting I can in the program to NY time and still when I make new charts they start in universal time.

Last Updated on April 3, 2023

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts