NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

How would you change Sierra Chart?

Discussion in Sierra Chart

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Big Mike with 11 posts (40 thanks)
    2. looks_two mattz with 9 posts (24 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Japhro with 8 posts (7 thanks)
    4. looks_4 puma with 4 posts (13 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one DarkPoolTrading with 6 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Big Mike with 3.6 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 puma with 3.3 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 mattz with 2.7 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 52,638 views
    2. thumb_up 199 thanks given
    3. group 58 followers
    1. forum 106 posts
    2. attach_file 3 attachments

Search this Thread

How would you change Sierra Chart?

mattz   is a Vendor

Thanks Given: 2,440
Thanks Received: 3,789

puma View Post
very good.

Does everybody knows about this and finds it ?

This is part of our tutorials to those who become our customers for Sierra.
We are not sure if everyone knows about it, but to us as a brokerage it is important to keep our customers educated.
This also saves time with support, and gives a reference point so customer could come again and agin.

We would like to expand our videos to other languages as well, so when we come across expertise we make sure to utilize it.

Matt

Trading futures and options involves substantial risk of loss and is not suitable for all investors. Past performance is not necessarily indicative of future results. You may lose more than your initial investment. All posts are opinions and do not claim to be facts. Please conduct your own due diligence. Use only Risk capital when trading Futures.
1 800 771 6748 local 561 367 8686 email [email protected]
Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
My NT8 Volume Profile Split by Asian/Euro/Open
NinjaTrader
Deepmoney LLM
Elite Quantitative GenAI/LLM
The space time continuum and the dynamics of a financial …
Emini and Emicro Index
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
NexusFi Journal Challenge - April 2024
Feedback and Announcements

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
65 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
41 thanks
Battlestations: Show us your trading desks!
24 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
23 thanks
The Program
19 thanks

slickiam 
Tomsk, Russia

Experience: Beginner
Platform: custom
Trading: gold
Thanks Given: 133
Thanks Received: 435

Hi All

1. A simplicity brings a stability and vice versa.

2. SC Team has no intention to increase the user base - just take a look at the policy: no free version, no API, no .Net - this is the definite way to stay out of the mainstream.

3. NT nor MC isn't a good example to compare. Take a look at CTS and X_Trader as a minimum.

4. As well as I know there will be a 64 bit and Qt5 based cross platform SC version next year. So Qt5 will allow them to build something really flexible and cute.

5. Linux is also not a mainstream. So there will be huge changes for the industry in 3-5 years.

imho

Scientia Libertas Prosperitas
Thanked by:

mattz   is a Vendor

@slickiam

I think SC is interested in increasing it's user base, but they set terms that would allow them to be scalable in lieu of demand that may come from users. Separating factors that weigh on your infrastructure and have no real value rather than great image, is something that SC takes into consideration.

I think we can agree that increased number of users in not always an indicators of success, however software the grows with traders and trading innovation will last for many years (as you tried to indicate).

I also think that entrepreneurship of any kind is the life you lead, and to be quite honest, SC never strikes me as this "greedy" grab it all mentality rather very practical in it's application with a great value system.

Matt

Trading futures and options involves substantial risk of loss and is not suitable for all investors. Past performance is not necessarily indicative of future results. You may lose more than your initial investment. All posts are opinions and do not claim to be facts. Please conduct your own due diligence. Use only Risk capital when trading Futures.
Thanked by:

puma 
zurich

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Sierra ahRrrr CQG ...
Trading: Bund, ES, ...
Thanks Given: 7,273
Thanks Received: 1,507

yes price wise, Sierra is extremely fair

Follow me on Twitter Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
 Babool 
Detroit, MI

Experience: Master
Platform: Sierra Chart
Trading: NQ, CL, ES, GC
Thanks Given: 17
Thanks Received: 125

I would say at the very minimum I would change the look of the trading dom. It looks pretty dated. I did a trial of sc and and subscribed within 2 days. I could not imagine using anything else other than SC. I simply love it. The online user manual is the best I have ever seen. I am currently a lifetime license holder of ninja and multi and have used investor rt extensively in the past so I am familiar with these other platforms.

Thanked by:

aslan 
Madison, WI

Platform: ALT
Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 356
Thanks Received: 1,127

It would be nice to see some more substantive comments.

For example, you want to change the DOM, but you do not say what is missing or what would make it better or by adding cfg option X would help trading because.... X Trader is a DOM people like, but is even more dated. So is it really the function/usability or the GUI? Is it the DOM or the TradeWindow portion?

Another example, change the colors. Well you can change the colors to whatever you want, so whats stopping you. Is the OOBE kind of vanilla, ah thats an understatement. However, setting a default color scheme is not easy because everyone wants something different, not to mention a lot of people are red/green color blind. A better way to state this is to ask for color schemes that can set the entire default color scheme for the program (i.e. black background, white background, puke grey, no red/green, pretty pink, ...), then there could be a whole set of schemes that people could load up and try.

Here is one of mine: The toolbars are not great right now. They have small fixed size buttons, you can not change the icons, they do not dock to the windows very well (i.e. detached), they should really be more of a tool pallet that I can pop up where ever I am (i.e. on multiple displays should pop up for active chart on current display). It would also be nice to put non-buttons on the bar (i.e. a drop down to change symbol or timeframe).

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 33,172
Thanks Received: 101,530

aslan View Post
It would be nice to see some more substantive comments.

For example, you want to change the DOM, but you do not say what is missing or what would make it better or by adding cfg option X would help trading because.... X Trader is a DOM people like, but is even more dated. So is it really the function/usability or the GUI? Is it the DOM or the TradeWindow portion?

Another example, change the colors. Well you can change the colors to whatever you want, so whats stopping you. Is the OOBE kind of vanilla, ah thats an understatement. However, setting a default color scheme is not easy because everyone wants something different, not to mention a lot of people are red/green color blind. A better way to state this is to ask for color schemes that can set the entire default color scheme for the program (i.e. black background, white background, puke grey, no red/green, pretty pink, ...), then there could be a whole set of schemes that people could load up and try.

Here is one of mine: The toolbars are not great right now. They have small fixed size buttons, you can not change the icons, they do not dock to the windows very well (i.e. detached), they should really be more of a tool pallet that I can pop up where ever I am (i.e. on multiple displays should pop up for active chart on current display). It would also be nice to put non-buttons on the bar (i.e. a drop down to change symbol or timeframe).

Hi @aslan, one possibility for improving the OOBE experience would be to have a 'wizard' part of the first-time use that asks you your broker, data feed, time zone, that type of stuff --- but also asks you the preferred color scheme (I would make this the first question hehe) and maybe you could have three or four built-in and then the user can customize from there.

An example is a light and dark theme (white background, dark background charts) as well as a primary color like blue or green to choose from.

Mike

We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

chrismuc 
Cologne, Germany

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Sierra Chart
Broker: Infinity Futures, SierraChart RT Data Feed
Trading: Mini-DAX, CL, 6E
Thanks Given: 273
Thanks Received: 403

Hi,

I am new to this forum although I am following some time. Today I just want to share two screenhots as illustration for the power of Sierra Chart's DOM. Since the DOM is customizable like any other chart it can hold any kind of market information.
Besides its speed and reliability it is even possible to make it look kind of "modern"...

In terms of usability of Sierra Chart it would be an improvement being able detaching complete chartbooks for use on multiple monitor systems.

Best, Chris

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

mattz   is a Vendor

chrismuc View Post
Hi,

I am new to this forum although I am following some time. Today I just want to share two screenhots as illustration for the power of Sierra Chart's DOM. Since the DOM is customizable like any other chart it can hold any kind of market information.
Besides its speed and reliability it is even possible to make it look kind of "modern"...

In terms of usability of Sierra Chart it would be an improvement being able detaching complete chartbooks for use on multiple monitor systems.

Nice to see the first post as a helpful and insightful comment for traders. One big Willkommen!

Matt

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 33,172
Thanks Received: 101,530

It would be nice that when there is a new release or pre-release, the changelog is available at the same time.

Mike

We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote

Last Updated on April 3, 2023

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts