NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

The Pandawarrior Chronicles II

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one PandaWarrior with 136 posts (1,249 thanks)
    2. looks_two Big Mike with 14 posts (61 thanks)
    3. looks_3 bobwest with 12 posts (47 thanks)
    4. looks_4 tturner86 with 12 posts (39 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one PandaWarrior with 9.2 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Big Mike with 4.4 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 bobwest with 3.9 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 tturner86 with 3.3 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 49,800 views
    2. thumb_up 1,758 thanks given
    3. group 57 followers
    1. forum 283 posts
    2. attach_file 16 attachments

Closed Thread

Search this Thread

The Pandawarrior Chronicles II

PandaWarrior 
In the heat

Experience: None
Thanks Given: 6,329
Thanks Received: 13,404

I've decided to start another journal here at futures.io (formerly BMT). I haven't journaled in quite a while here at futures.io (formerly BMT) but instead have kept a blog going elsewhere for sometime.

I enjoy writing the blog however, I am on hiatus there just because I haven't felt much like keeping it up lately. I'll resume at some point writing there but for now its on hold.

That being said, I am about to embark on a new project that is going to change my trading schedule pretty dramatically. I will basically have about 60 minutes in the early morning to day trade and perhaps a couple hours on the weekends to review, assess and plan the following week.

As it happens, I've been wanting to try swing trading futures. I have of course done this on forex and I quite like it but never on futures and so with my new schedule, it seems like the perfect time to give futures swing trading a shot.

For the month of October I will be both day trading (probably scalping) CL futures in the early morning as well as looking for longer term entries on daily and 4 hour charts. Hold time on the swing trades needs to be at least one day to count as a swing trade....more likely looking for 3 days or more. In addition I will be looking to add to the swing trades up to my max size count if the trade goes in my favor enough to warrant taking on additional risk.

For the day trading, I will be looking at primarily scalping for 20-30 ticks per day or one hour, which ever comes first. The goal is to have a higher winning DAY percentage over the course of the month than strictly a high trade win rate. In other words, win three out of five days, try to scratch one day, and lose the other day.....I am not looking for huge wins nor am I looking to win every single day. I will probably have time for one or two trades a day max before I have to switch gears and move on to the new project.

This will be a solid test of which method is best over time....although I suspect the swing trading will win.

ALL trades will be SIM until I have proven the edge in both trading styles. I have an edge in the day trading arena and could trade that live but due to the new time constraints, I want to make sure I get the new routine down before I risk live money.

All of this coincides nicely with the journal contest coming up next month so I decided to use the month of October to run the journal. I had planned on just doing this in my Moleskin journal but it seemed like a good idea to make it public as I am sure others might like to see the results of these two methods.

I will post every day although some posts might not happen until much later in the day or even late at night as I will have some travel coming up but not sure which days and for how long.

Due to the travel, all trading will be done on my 15 inch laptop. And I will be using primarily one screen for each trading type.

I'll post charts and PnL's when appropriate.

As a month isn't much time to prove an edge on swing trading, I may have only one or two trades during the entire month. I will post updates on those as situation warrants.

Again the primary purpose is to prove I can handle the new routine, trade while traveling if needed, find and hold longer term trades and see if its really possible to scalp consistently over time with tight time constraints.

I will also be adding to my initial entry size on the scalp trades if and when the account balance increases by the amount of the delta I have decided to use.

And for the purposes of this journal, I'll be using $150,000 as the starting balance since that is the combine TST is giving away. I know they don't allow swing trading but that's not the point of this exercise. Just to limit my max size to 15 lots.

Some things I will not be going into detail here. Exact entry and exit criteria, I may mention those but its not the issue here. Style and method along with money management and position sizing are the ideas I am journaling here.

While I welcome positive input, I am not looking for long winded advice columns here....it is sim and it's just testing two different methods and time constraints along with money management and position sizing. All goes well, I will implement either or both in the future.

First post here will be in October.

Should be fun.

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication, Leonardo da Vinci

Most people chose unhappiness over uncertainty, Tim Ferris
Started this thread

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
New Micros: Ultra 10-Year & Ultra T-Bond -- Live Now
Treasury Notes and Bonds
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader
NexusFi Journal Challenge - April 2024
Feedback and Announcements
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
61 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
38 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
27 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
19 thanks
The Program
18 thanks

tturner86 
Portland, Oregon

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: F-16CM-40
Trading: GBU-39
Thanks Given: 10,459
Thanks Received: 12,695

PandaWarrior View Post
I've decided to start another journal here at futures.io (formerly BMT). I haven't journaled in quite a while here at futures.io (formerly BMT) but instead have kept a blog going elsewhere for sometime.

I enjoy writing the blog however, I am on hiatus there just because I haven't felt much like keeping it up lately. I'll resume at some point writing there but for now its on hold.

That being said, I am about to embark on a new project that is going to change my trading schedule pretty dramatically. I will basically have about 60 minutes in the early morning to day trade and perhaps a couple hours on the weekends to review, assess and plan the following week.

As it happens, I've been wanting to try swing trading futures. I have of course done this on forex and I quite like it but never on futures and so with my new schedule, it seems like the perfect time to give futures swing trading a shot.

For the month of October I will be both day trading (probably scalping) CL futures in the early morning as well as looking for longer term entries on daily and 4 hour charts. Hold time on the swing trades needs to be at least one day to count as a swing trade....more likely looking for 3 days or more. In addition I will be looking to add to the swing trades up to my max size count if the trade goes in my favor enough to warrant taking on additional risk.

For the day trading, I will be looking at primarily scalping for 20-30 ticks per day or one hour, which ever comes first. The goal is to have a higher winning DAY percentage over the course of the month than strictly a high trade win rate. In other words, win three out of five days, try to scratch one day, and lose the other day.....I am not looking for huge wins nor am I looking to win every single day. I will probably have time for one or two trades a day max before I have to switch gears and move on to the new project.

This will be a solid test of which method is best over time....although I suspect the swing trading will win.

ALL trades will be SIM until I have proven the edge in both trading styles. I have an edge in the day trading arena and could trade that live but due to the new time constraints, I want to make sure I get the new routine down before I risk live money.

All of this coincides nicely with the journal contest coming up next month so I decided to use the month of October to run the journal. I had planned on just doing this in my Moleskin journal but it seemed like a good idea to make it public as I am sure others might like to see the results of these two methods.

I will post every day although some posts might not happen until much later in the day or even late at night as I will have some travel coming up but not sure which days and for how long.

Due to the travel, all trading will be done on my 15 inch laptop. And I will be using primarily one screen for each trading type.

I'll post charts and PnL's when appropriate.

As a month isn't much time to prove an edge on swing trading, I may have only one or two trades during the entire month. I will post updates on those as situation warrants.

Again the primary purpose is to prove I can handle the new routine, trade while traveling if needed, find and hold longer term trades and see if its really possible to scalp consistently over time with tight time constraints.

I will also be adding to my initial entry size on the scalp trades if and when the account balance increases by the amount of the delta I have decided to use.

And for the purposes of this journal, I'll be using $150,000 as the starting balance since that is the combine TST is giving away. I know they don't allow swing trading but that's not the point of this exercise. Just to limit my max size to 15 lots.

Some things I will not be going into detail here. Exact entry and exit criteria, I may mention those but its not the issue here. Style and method along with money management and position sizing are the ideas I am journaling here.

While I welcome positive input, I am not looking for long winded advice columns here....it is sim and it's just testing two different methods and time constraints along with money management and position sizing. All goes well, I will implement either or both in the future.

First post here will be in October.

Should be fun.

Glad you are back.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 33,173
Thanks Received: 101,537

Mike

We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal

TheShrike 
Bridgeport, Ct

Broker: Tasty
Trading: Fops
Thanks Given: 1,588
Thanks Received: 922

Glad you're back Panda. Your previous journal here and your blog were very influential for me so I'm glad to be able to read more of your stuff.

Scalpingtrader 
Hanover, Germany
Legendary Amateur Trader

Experience: Beginner
Platform: NinjaTrader
Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 3,144
Thanks Received: 5,147

[x] FIRST PAGE

Man you SO got another reader here!

PandaWarrior 
In the heat

Thanks Given: 6,329
Thanks Received: 13,404

A word about risk and money management. I plan on using 1% of the account or $1500 as my per day initial risk for scalping and up to 2% for swing trading.

For day trading I'll size based on the stop size and since I'd like at least two shots at it each day, I'll cut the size in half so if I have a full stop out, I don't have a full daily stop out on the first trade. This means I'll probably get 2-3 shots each day for the scalping portion of the experiment.

For swing trading, even though I can use up to 2% of the account size for initial sizing, more than likely I'll use much smaller size to initiate the trades and quickly add to it up to max exposure if the trade gets going in my favor.

At no time will I have more than 3% exposure between scalping and swing trading.

This means I will probably need to make sure any position adds result in a so called "risk free" trade.

Based on initial thoughts, I suspect most swing trades will target somewhere around 3-5X initial risk. More if possible but thats what it looks like right now.

Scalp trades will be more like 1:1 or 1.5:1.

Delta for scalping is initially $500-750 per contract before a new contract can be added.I haven't decided on this yet but I will by October 1st. I'ill decrease size at around $250 per contract loss. Size up slow and size down fast.

Delta for swing trading is going to be more like $2000 per contract since I can take more initial risk, I think I need to increase slower. This will be determined on closed trades....at no time will open trades be used to determine new initial position size. And I'll size down at around $1000 per contract loss. Not sure how this will work in practice as I've never swing traded before.

The intent is to trade small enough to accurately place stops but yet large enough to increase account size in a measurable and significant manner.

Lastly, I have placed an 8% max draw down on the account for the month. This means I can have 4 swing trade losers in a row right from the beginning of the process or 8 losers in row scalping beginning day one. OR a combination of the two.

What this does is prevent account blow out. While its only a month long sim experiment, the idea is that the following month, I'd have 92% of the original balance to trade with. I'd begin November with a max 6% draw down limit and assuming that maxed out, I'd continue this reducing pattern until I had a winning month at which point I could increase the drawn down by 2%. In doing this, I could lose the max amount 6 months in a row and still have 75% of the original capital left.

Hopefully that wouldn't happen but since capital preservation is the key to this game, having strict monthly draw down limits is key to making sure you stay in the game. And while this experiment is only 30 days long, no sense in being silly about it with unrealistic risk parameters.

Thats it for now....might be more later.....

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication, Leonardo da Vinci

Most people chose unhappiness over uncertainty, Tim Ferris
Started this thread

iqgod 
Mumbai, India
Legendary Market Wizard

Platform: ChartNexus
Trading: Stocks, Commodities, Futures
Thanks Given: 3,658
Thanks Received: 3,097

It is great to be reading your journal again!

Welcome back, and glad you started again!

madLyfe 
Des Moines, Iowa

Platform: Ninja, TOS
Broker: AMP/CQG, TOS
Trading: CL, TF, GC
Thanks Given: 9,220
Thanks Received: 1,020

i will def be following along panda! kick some ass buddy!

dont believe anything you hear and only half of what you see

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

bobwest 
Western Florida
Site Moderator

Platform: Sierra Chart
Trading: ES, YM
Frequency: Several times daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 57,341
Thanks Received: 26,267

Glad to have you back. The new experiment will be interesting to follow.

Good luck with it.

Bob.

Closed Thread

Last Updated on March 13, 2015

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts