NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

$475K Custom TopStep Combine. Trading 35 contracts by Cheery-Boga

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one MarthaChiriboga with 29 posts (16 thanks)
    2. looks_two tturner86 with 6 posts (9 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Pedro40 with 5 posts (14 thanks)
    4. looks_4 kevinkdog with 4 posts (8 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Big Mike with 4.7 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Pedro40 with 2.8 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 tturner86 with 1.5 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 MarthaChiriboga with 0.6 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 12,953 views
    2. thumb_up 92 thanks given
    3. group 12 followers
    1. forum 61 posts
    2. attach_file 6 attachments

Closed Thread

Search this Thread

$475K Custom TopStep Combine. Trading 35 contracts by Cheery-Boga

MarthaChiriboga 
West Palm Beach, FL / USA

Experience: Beginner
Platform: NinjaTrader
Trading: I'll trade anything with volatility and momentum.
Thanks Given: 121
Thanks Received: 42

tturner86 View Post
As you've said before you have never traded before. Why do you think you are qualified to trade 35 contracts? To me that is a bit like given a 14 yr old with a learners driving permit the keys to a Ferrari. How could you possibly expect to be able to trade at that size?

Your metaphor is interesting, because I've actually seen a 14-year old drive a Ferrari better than most people I know:

To answer your question, though, I don't have to have any special qualifications to trade 35 contracts.

What I need is to hone my mental skills, FOLLOW my trading plan and improve my listening skills. My body was screaming to stay home and relax, this week. Did I listen? Just look at my PnL.

I do have a good trading methodology, TTurner86. I also don't go all-in with 35 contracts, on any one trade.
I've been starting with ten cars and scaling out as my ATM profit targets are reached. I've already emailed @NinjaTraderabout adding more targets on their ATM strategy, but we'll see.

For me, it's nice NOT to have to trade 35 cars. It's a privilege not a right to have the ability to trade 35 cars. Having that ability does help me feel, like I've got reserves on my account that I may never have to touch, unless I see an excellent opportunity and at the point, I'll just add to my winning position by averaging in. It's a technique, which I'm just learning how to implement.

Tomorrow, I plan on starting with three contracts and digging myself out of this abyss. It may take a week to recover, but I'll get my account back to green. I did it the second day on three trades using ten contracts. After today's festivities, I rather build-up my mental capital, before trading ten cars again.

Hope this helps / MC

Started this thread
Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
MC PL editor upgrade
MultiCharts
Trade idea based off three indicators.
Traders Hideout
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Diary of a simple price action trader
26 thanks
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
25 thanks
Tao te Trade: way of the WLD
23 thanks
My NQ Trading Journal
16 thanks
HumbleTraders next chapter
9 thanks

mfbreakout 
BOSTON, MA
Market Wizard

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Tradestation, TOS
Trading: ES, CL, GC
Thanks Given: 3,478
Thanks Received: 15,818

Hi MarthaChiriboga,

Your enthusiam is off the charts . Well done. My only recommendation will be to cut down size. Your daily goal is around
$2400. That should be achieved with 4-6 lots per position maxium.

Just my 2 cents. Your trading style may be different , so it may not be off any value to you.

I know some traders who trade 100, 200 contratcs size, but their trading limit is up there with a daily loss limit of $150K and they are looking to clear 50-100K/day. $50/100K on surface looks a BIG number but it's only .25 to .5% of trading capital with 1.5% of it at risk. There are very few days where a situation calls for to load it up. It's good to have lots of DRY POWDER handy and ready.

NOTE: I see your previous post that you are not loading up all at one time, which is great.But based off your trading account size and daily goal, you really have to use a small portion of your equity to achieve your goals and when set up is CLEAR as WEST PALM BEACH day light, load it up.

My posts are not meant to give financial advice neither do they imply that my method is special. "THIS IS WHAT I COULD BE IF I HAD A TOTALLY CARE FREE STATE OF MIND DURING TRADING" Mark Douglas.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-09-11_2002_combine.png
Views:	301
Size:	412.4 KB
ID:	156012  
Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal
Thanked by:

MarthaChiriboga 

mfbreakout View Post
Hi MarthaChiriboga,

Your enthusiam is off the charts . Well done. My only recommendation will be to cut down size. Your daily goal is around
$2400. That should be achieved with 4-6 lots per position maxium.

Just my 2 cents. Your trading style may be different , so it may not be off any value to you.

I know some traders who trade 100, 200 contratcs size, but their trading limit is up there with a daily loss limit of $150K and they are looking to clear 50-100K/day. There are very few days where a situation calls for to load it up. It's good to have lots of DRY POWDER handy and ready.

NOTE: I see your previous post that you are not loading up all at one time, which is great.But based off your trading account size and daily goal, you really have to use a small portion of your equity to achieve your goals and when set up is CLEAR as WEST PALM BEACH day light, load it up.

It really means a lot that you're excited for me, MFBreakout; especially, since you have a legendary reputation, here on futures.io (formerly BMT). I think you're right and will dramatically reduce my trading size, until I get back in the green.

Just out-of-curiousity, MFBreakout, how did you discern my level of enthusiasm on this thread? That's interesting to me, because it belies in the ether.

Best / MC

Started this thread

mfbreakout 
BOSTON, MA
Market Wizard

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Tradestation, TOS
Trading: ES, CL, GC
Thanks Given: 3,478
Thanks Received: 15,818

"Just out-of-curiousity, MFBreakout, how did you discern my level of enthusiasm on this thread? "

Just as in trading, i specilaize in reading tea leaves or at least try to.

My posts are not meant to give financial advice neither do they imply that my method is special. "THIS IS WHAT I COULD BE IF I HAD A TOTALLY CARE FREE STATE OF MIND DURING TRADING" Mark Douglas.
Thanked by:

MarthaChiriboga 

mfbreakout View Post
"Just out-of-curiousity, MFBreakout, how did you discern my level of enthusiasm on this thread? "

Just as in trading, i specilaize in reading tea leaves or at least try to.

I'd like to book an appointment, ASAP. You may replace Jasim the Great, the fortune teller who lives in the work/space building, down the block, and who gives me daily advise.

Started this thread
 kevinkdog   is a Vendor

Thanks Given: 1,892
Thanks Received: 7,349

MarthaChiriboga View Post
I ALMOST BLEW UP, This Morning!

The gory details:

I was bucking the trend on Crude, from the open, and *almost* blew up my combine account. $14.00 short of hitting my daily loss limit is what saved my phat ass.

Of all the requirements in the Combine, I've always said the Daily Loss Limit is one of the few you can control. So you ended up $13-14 away from it.

I'd be interested in hearing the details. Was it your plan to trade that close to the DLL?

Follow me on Twitter
Thanked by:

MarthaChiriboga 

kevinkdog View Post
Of all the requirements in the Combine, I've always said the Daily Loss Limit is one of the few you can control. So you ended up $13-14 away from it.

I'd be interested in hearing the details. Was it your plan to trade that close to the DLL?

Hi, KevinDog!

That's the thing....I got greedy and I got stubborn. Nothing. Absolutely NADA on my trading plan allows for that type of reckless behavior; including but not limited to trying out a new technique, called "averaging in". I broke all my rules. I'm also suppose to have stopped trading after having three consecutive losses. I'm suppose to exercise my cardiovascular system for at least 30-minutes, before the trading day and I haven't done that - at all - since I started the combine.

It's been a mess. I take full responsibility, KevinDog. On top of it all, I got a shingles outbreak that burned my skin to no end, the night before my combine started. That should've been my clue.

Started this thread

tturner86 
Portland, Oregon

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: F-16CM-40
Trading: GBU-39
Thanks Given: 10,459
Thanks Received: 12,695

Your metaphor is interesting, because I've actually seen a 14-year old drive a Ferrari better than most people I know:

To answer your question, though, I don't have to have any special qualifications to trade 35 contracts.

What I need is to hone my mental skills, FOLLOW my trading plan and improve my listening skills. My body was screaming to stay home and relax, this week. Did I listen? Just look at my PnL.

I do have a good trading methodology, TTurner86. I also don't go all-in with 35 contracts, on any one trade.
I've been starting with ten cars and scaling out as my ATM profit targets are reached. I've already emailed @NinjaTraderabout adding more targets on their ATM strategy, but we'll see.

For me, it's nice NOT to have to trade 35 cars. It's a privilege not a right to have the ability to trade 35 cars. Having that ability does help me feel, like I've got reserves on my account that I may never have to touch, unless I see an excellent opportunity and at the point, I'll just add to my winning position by averaging in. It's a technique, which I'm just learning how to implement.

Tomorrow, I plan on starting with three contracts and digging myself out of this abyss. It may take a week to recover, but I'll get my account back to green. I did it the second day on three trades using ten contracts. After today's festivities, I rather build-up my mental capital, before trading ten cars again.

Hope this helps / MC

Even at 10 contracts that is still too large for a novice trader. And to be honest based on your numbers you have traded 336 contracts across 19 trades. That comes out to around 17 contracts a trade. Not 10.

Do you understand the underlying value of the product that you are trading?

The approx value of a CL contract at current prices is $94000 a contract. So at 17 that is $1,598,000 in product that you are buying or selling on any given trade. Or in other terms 6.8 of those Ferrari 458's in that youtube video.

You are also buying and selling that product on a $500-$5000 'margin' (or good faith deposit).

Some of the best traders would have problems trading 10 cars of CL.

Thanked by:

MarthaChiriboga 

tturner86 View Post
Even at 10 contracts that is still too large for a novice trader. And to be honest based on your numbers you have traded 336 contracts across 19 trades. That comes out to around 17 contracts a trade. Not 10.

Do you understand the underlying value of the product that you are trading?

The approx value of a CL contract at current prices is $94000 a contract. So at 17 that is $1,598,000 in product that you are buying or selling on any given trade. Or in other terms 6.8 of those Ferrari 458's in that youtube video.

You are also buying and selling that product on a $500-$5000 'margin' (or good faith deposit).

Some of the best traders would have problems trading 10 cars of CL.

I see that may be the average, but I promise you that I never entered any one trade with more than ten cars. I did ADD to them, with something called, "averaging-in", which I learned how to do on Monday. So, that's why the numbers are skewed.

$1.6MM is what I control in rental properties. That's not a lot of money, by my standards.

When you say, "Some of the best traders would have problems trading 10 cars on CL". Would you provide me with empirical data and not conjecture, please?

Started this thread

tturner86 
Portland, Oregon

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: F-16CM-40
Trading: GBU-39
Thanks Given: 10,459
Thanks Received: 12,695

$1.6MM is what I control in rental properties. That's not a lot of money, by my standards.

That may be the case, but you are doing that every 48 mins based on your stats. And at an avg of 6 trades a day at is $9MM a day.

Thanked by:

Closed Thread

Last Updated on September 17, 2014

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts