NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

TS' Trading Journal (Since 2014/9/8)

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one tshunhu with 237 posts (138 thanks)
    2. looks_two tturner86 with 8 posts (17 thanks)
    3. looks_3 ratfink with 4 posts (13 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Hanneke with 4 posts (4 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one ratfink with 3.3 thanks per post
    2. looks_two bobwest with 2.5 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 tturner86 with 2.1 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 tshunhu with 0.6 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 34,358 views
    2. thumb_up 202 thanks given
    3. group 11 followers
    1. forum 274 posts
    2. attach_file 377 attachments

Search this Thread

TS' Trading Journal (Since 2014/9/8)

bobwest 
Western Florida
Site Moderator

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Sierra Chart
Trading: ES, YM
Frequency: Several times daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 57,452
Thanks Received: 26,278

tshunhu View Post
I'm always very nervous about winning trades turn into losing one. As I posted in the thread of 'Get nervous after earning money'. The same feeling of overall trading account profit and paper profit of every trade.

because of this , the first 2 trades and 9th trade on FB, the trade on SPY all exited too early. As many suggested, trading smaller size. I was actually trading only 50 shares (really small, compared to 1000 shares I was trading before starting this journal). I think the key point for me, personally, is not about how much money I win or lose. It about the fear of loss. I'll search for info and help about this point.

An observation is that, when you keep a clear head, you do well. When you don't, you jump around one way and the other reacting purely to whatever price just did. (Just like me, by the way.... )

I would say that having very clear (and simple) criteria for taking a trade, and always taking it when that is present, and only when it is present, may provide a bit of steadiness.... a reference point amid the (perceived) chaos. (I understand that this is much easier said than done. )

Psychologically, it's important to not care whether you win or lose (also not so easy!), but only about whether you executed as planned. (Also not so easy....) Trading small size is one part of that: being able to take a loss without worry about the consequences.

Good luck. You're doing very well in your journal, bringing the things that you need to change into focus.

Bob.

Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader
How to apply profiles
Traders Hideout
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
Pivot Indicator like the old SwingTemp by Big Mike
NinjaTrader
Trade idea based off three indicators.
Traders Hideout

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Spoo-nalysis ES e-mini futures S&P 500
29 thanks
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
25 thanks
Tao te Trade: way of the WLD
24 thanks
Bigger Wins or Fewer Losses?
23 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
17 thanks

tturner86 
Portland, Oregon

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: F-16CM-40
Trading: GBU-39
Thanks Given: 10,459
Thanks Received: 12,695

bobwest View Post
An observation is that, when you keep a clear head, you do well. When you don't, you jump around one way and the other reacting purely to whatever price just did. (Just like me, by the way.... )

I would say that having very clear (and simple) criteria for taking a trade, and always taking it when that is present, and only when it is present, may provide a bit of steadiness.... a reference point amid the (perceived) chaos. (I understand that this is much easier said than done. )

Psychologically, it's important to not care whether you win or lose (also not so easy!), but only about whether you executed as planned. (Also not so easy....) Trading small size is one part of that: being able to take a loss without worry about the consequences.

Good luck. You're doing very well in your journal, bringing the things that you need to change into focus.

Bob.

I agree with Bob. Whether you win or lose you need to wash your mind mentally between trades. Try not to carry any residual over from the previous trade to the next. Now that is harder said then done, but it is something that I work to do. I wash my mind premarket of previous sessions and then again between trades.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

tshunhu 
Wuhan, Hubei, China

Experience: Beginner
Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: Interactive Broker
Trading: Stocks
Thanks Given: 306
Thanks Received: 165

Pre-Open Objective

Almost same as Tuesday, since I have not achieved any...
------------------------------------------Result---------------------------------------

Summary

Instruments: FB (3 trades), SPY (5 trades)
8 Trades:

3 wins, 3 losses, 2 even
5 emotional trades. 3 logical trades.
Overtrading: Yes, but better
Stick to trading plan: No, but better
Daily P/L = 3

SPY:

1st trade: short @197.95, target @197.55(low of yesterday), stop @198.22(exit @198.08), lost
Shorted the downside breakdown of prior low (on 1min chart) Scared when the price moved up and turned my entry bear bar to a doji bull bar. Exited with fear.

2nd trade: short @197.85, target @197.55, stop @198.14 (exited @198.04), lost
When exited the first trade, the price moved down (seemed just to mock me of my idiot fear...). So I entered again on the downside break of previous bear bar(on 5min chart). Again the market succeed in making fun of me...And again I have been scared out...

The exit of these 2 trades are emotional, normally the strong trend like this would not just reverse without any trading range. It's all because of myself, I scared myself (what a talent...).

3rd trade is totally emotional with both entry and exit. In and out @198.04, lost (commision)

4th trade: long @196.94, target @197.14 (exit @197.05), stop @197.85(low of previous bar in a ii partern on 1min chart), win
Entered with stop order on the top of ii partern. I was targeting a pull back to MA on 5min chart, but in 1min chart, the price could not reach 1min MA. So I exited earlier with a little profit.

5th trade: long @197.22, target @197.60 (exit @197.25), stop @196.80, even
Long again after the 4th trade, The good shape of entry bar makes me believe that a touch of MA would be soon. Honestly speaking, I have not place my entry just after I entered. A mental stop was there, but I should not do this again!!! Two legged move down on 1min chart just after my entry, I was nearly to exit with a loss. Ran away around entry price.

FB:

1st and 2nd trade: the first 2 trades were exactly the same as those two on Tuesday. 'Let the winning trade run', easy to say, but difficult to do.

I was fighting extrem fear and greed between the first 2 trades and between 2nd and 3nd trade. Wanted to entry immediately to catch some profit, but fear that teh price move up after my entry...

3rd trade: shorted @77.59, target@?? (exit @77.32), stop @77.76, win
Shorted a downside breakout, failed pull back to MA on 1min chart. I was not sure where the price would heading. So I get out once there was a sign of pull back.

SIM on FB

Only the first trade was a loss. Still a better performance on sim account. Fear really significantly limites my ability to judge the price action. This shows me that I could do much better if I could take this issue nicely~ Time and study needed!

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Actually feel better today than Tuesday, fewer trades (12 -> 8), less pressure (but still...), fewer emotional trade, longer pause between trades.

tturner86 View Post
I agree with Bob. Whether you win or lose you need to wash your mind mentally between trades. Try not to carry any residual over from the previous trade to the next. Now that is harder said then done, but it is something that I work to do. I wash my mind premarket of previous sessions and then again between trades.

@tturner86, @bobwest, thank you both, I'm trying to feel the feeling when I'm stressed and fear, and let the lossing trade go, so I would not just follow the price to do a lots of emotional trades. I'll keep working on that!

Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

tshunhu 
Wuhan, Hubei, China

Weekly Summary
Monday: 0
Tuesday: +39
Wednesday: No Trade
Thursday: +3
Friday: No trade
Total P/L = +42

Still distance to stick to my trading plan. Feel difficult to control emotion. After watching the webinar with Linda Bradford Raschke about the trading habits, I learned that a trading plan should have 3 features which makes it easier to be executed: simple/catchy/long-term positive influence to life.

I'll redact several simple and easy rules to help me control emotion and place trade during the weekend.

I'm also reading the book 'The Disciplined Trader' by Mark Douglas. I just begin to read and find it very interesting.

That's all~ Good weekend to everybody!

Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 33,215
Thanks Received: 101,603

Nice job journaling @tshunhu.

I want to let you and all your readers know that in October nexusfi.com (formerly BMT) has a Trading Journal contest w/prizes. The contest runs October 1 to October 31, and the three best journals (as decided by nexusfi.com (formerly BMT) members) will receive a 150K combine from TopstepTrader.

The contest thread is here:

That thread will be open for posting starting Wednesday, October 1. As the author of your journal, you need to make a post in that thread linking to your journal, and then ask users to press the "Thanks" button on that post if they want to vote for your journal to win the contest.

Members can vote for as many different journals as they want. Votes are cast in the Contest thread only, and only on the first post made by the author of the journal that contains a link to their journal. This is done so I can easily count the "Thanks Received" by author/journal, and award the three prizes.

Mike

We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
JTurner77
Los Angeles, CA

Thanks Given: 55
Thanks Received: 31

Great stuff, Tshunhu! Looking forward to watching you grow as a trader.

Thanked by:

tshunhu 
Wuhan, Hubei, China

Pre-Open Objective

Same as last Thursday. Generally failed to achieve. Overtraded / Several Emotional Trades.
Positive side: better pause between trades, less stressful than before (still stress).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Summary:
1. Failed to achieve most daily objects

2. Total 13 Trades

3 wins, 8 losses, 2 even
5 Logical entries, 8 emotional entries

3. P/L = +22 (with changed postion size)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FB:

1st trade: short @78.78, target @78.50, stop @78.91, stopped out
Shorted the down side breakout of prior low. After the previous 2 highs, I was expecting a double top which leads to trace back to the beginning of up trend.

2nd-6th trade: Got emotional, just following price movement but generally in wrong direction or got out too soon. Exact same behavior pattern as last 2 trading days. Tried to control, but failed. I'm working on it by taking note and reading books. Just more time needed...

SPY:

1st trade: short @197.00, target @196.80, stop @197.12, stopped out
The doji bar just before my entry was a good signal for short, but now I realize that it's also a tempting bear trap! I hypnotized myself to believe that the big green bar before the doji bar was a buy climax. Still a reasonable entry with logical stop. Even not succeeded.

2nd trade: long @197.21, target @197.60, stop @197.13 (exited @197.23), lost
After the 1st trade, I switched to the long side, but the very next bar shows strong bear strength. Got scared and ran away at even.

3rd-5th trade: Emotional entries and exits. Entered 3rd trade expecting that a down side breakout of MA would lead to further move down. Scared and got out, just about 40 seconds later, tried again the short side with 4th trade. Reversed to long side in next 5min bar. Still emotional so got out long position very soom.

6th trade: shorted @197.62, target @197.42 (exited @197.53), stop @197.76, win
Price was too far from the MA, shorted a downside breakout of the bar before my entry. Looking for a pull back to touch the previous lower high. Exited too early.

QQQ:

Same as the 1st in SPY. Took short and stopped out.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Occupied during the weekend, had little time to redact trading strategy. Cannot control emotion without a detailed and easy to carry plan/strategy. I'll focus on working it out tomorrow, even just a simple draft.

Thanked by:

tshunhu 
Wuhan, Hubei, China

Pre-Open Objective

1. Not Overtrade (Better)
2. Sense the body and emotional reaction when I'm in fear with holding winning position and afraid to enter a trade (Yes)
3. Abide by my trading plan (Not yet)

-------------------------------------------------

Summary

1. Clearer feeling of fear, I noticed it when holding a winning trade, and did some reaction to control it (like counting numbers, watching another stock).
2. Feel confused when holding a position without clear winning or losing sign. Kind of forgetting why I entered it and just hope to get out at even. Stronger feeling when the trades don't move in my direction. It must be caused by emotional entry!!!

Total 10 trades
6 winning trades, 4 losing trades
6 Logical entries, 4 eomotional entries
P/L = +2

QQQ:

1st trade: short @98.56, target @98.35, stop @98.68 near MA (reversed to long @98.63), loss
The doji bar before my entry was a perfect bear signal. As it promised, the price moved down sharply. But I was expecting a touch down to yesterday's resistance level. My target was just a little deeper than what the price dipped. When my entry bar formed a bull bar with very long tail, I thought the bull must have taken control. So I switched to long.

2nd trade: long @98.63, target @98.90, stop @98.55 (exited @98.57), loss
Soon after entering this trade, I felt that I was a little impulsive to enter this trade. since the price have not breakout the MA, I sacred to get out.

3rd trade: short @98.55, target @98.41, stop @98.64, win
Shorted the down side break out of 2nd trade entry bar. Since the bull bar before has not moved above the MA, it suggested that the bulls were not strong enough, and few bulls are ready to jump in. So a down side break out must scared out many newbies who entered long side (like what I did in my 2nd trade). But I was very conservative about the profit target. I put it 2 ticks above previous low, and about 98.40 the round number for safty.

FB:

1st trade: long @79.55, target @??, stop @79.50, scalping win.
My entry bar and the bull bar before it both have long tail at their bottom. It suggested relatively strong bull are lifting the price. I assume that a breakout of prior high must be a reasonable move. But I really don't know if the price may stay above it or not. Got out with a scalp profit.

SPY:

1st trade: Same as the 1st trade in QQQ, I was watching SPY when the price bounced back from the bottom, So I got out with tiny profit. I placed the my stop around the high of my entry bar. But it is a bit too large, So I got out earlier.

2nd trade: Long @197.22, target @197.36, stop @197.13 (reversed to short @197.14), loss
3rd trade: short @197.14, target @196.93, stop @197.25, win
The 2nd and 3rd trade are same as what I did with QQQ.

4th trade: short @197.25, target @197.90, stop @197.53 (exited @197.51), loss
I was expecting a two-bar reversal + downside movement, so I shorted the downside breakout of previous bear bar. I placed my stop above the high of my signal bar. Reversed to long just 2 ticks before stop get hit.

5th trade: long @197.51, target @197.81, stop @197.35 (exited @197.59), win
Got out too soon. Once I saw the price moved down, I really fear that the winning trade can turn into a losing one, like the first trade in QQQ and SPY (must be psychologically damaged ). The moment I hit the close buttom, market jumped up like I was a such heavy burden holding it from moving up . I know, I was just holding myself, my fear is imprisoning myself! "You sould let yourself go, dude"!!!

6th trade: scalped to get my account balance. Buying the breakout of openning.

Still effort to make, another busy day slow myself from preparing the redacted trading strategy, which may help me reducing emotional trades. But I'm fealing less stressful than before, as I sense my fear and eagerness. Good trade to everyone!

Scalpingtrader 
Hanover, Germany
Legendary Amateur Trader

Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 3,144
Thanks Received: 5,147

Keep it up that detailed - it will take time but this should help a lot with getting where you want to be as a trader

ST

Thanked by:

tshunhu 
Wuhan, Hubei, China

Pre-Open Object

1. Not Overtrade (Yes)
2. Sense the body and emotional reaction when I'm in fear with holding winning position and afraid to enter a trade (Yes)
3. Abide by my trading plan (Half yes, did not enter any other trades by emotion)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Summary

Only one trade today. Better feeling of fear in winning trade, stay out in doubt (actually I did some sim trades)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FB:

Only trade today: Short @78.14, target @77.82 (exited @77.90), stop @78.36, win
Short the downside breakout of openning range. I targeted around Monday's low, since the price hanging around my exit point(77.83) and traced back a little, I exited early. After my exit, the price moved down sharply...I am not surprise that my target got hit and broken throungh. What I concern more is that I always leave too early F.E.A.R, I'm not eager to the reenter with an revengeful emotion (I used to think the market makes a mock at me, and I will come back to get what I missed). Now, I understand that it just my lack of exp and skill to emotion control ~~

Thanked by:

Last Updated on December 14, 2017

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts