NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Articles of the day

Discussion in Off-Topic

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Itchymoku with 34 posts (14 thanks)
    2. looks_two Zondor with 22 posts (17 thanks)
    3. looks_3 sandptrader with 20 posts (1 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Big Mike with 4 posts (3 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one mattz with 3 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Zondor with 0.8 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Big Mike with 0.8 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Itchymoku with 0.4 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 17,215 views
    2. thumb_up 40 thanks given
    3. group 7 followers
    1. forum 89 posts
    2. attach_file 4 attachments

Search this Thread

Articles of the day

Itchymoku 
Philadelphia

Experience: None
Platform: corded black telephone
Trading: ticker tape
Thanks Given: 1,683
Thanks Received: 3,681

You know the deal. Just like the song(s), clip(s), and picture(s) of the day threads this thread will be dedicated to news article(s) of the day or current articles pertaining to anything interesting.

Please have fun with this and don't be discouraged about posting what ever you feel compelled to post that you thought was interesting. ( Anything goes! )

R.I.P. Joseph Bach (Itchymoku), 1987-2018.
Please visit this thread for more information.
Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Are there any eval firms that allow you to sink to your …
Traders Hideout
Deepmoney LLM
Elite Quantitative GenAI/LLM
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
Build trailing stop for micro index(s)
Psychology and Money Management
NexusFi Journal Challenge - April 2024
Feedback and Announcements

Itchymoku 
Philadelphia

Chinese boy can't hear his cartoons, cuts high-rise worker's safety rope - The Week

Chinese boy can't hear his cartoons, cuts high-rise worker's safety rope
Saturday cartoons are very, very, very important to one 10-year-old Chinese boy.

A worker was installing lighting on the outside of a high-rise apartment building when a boy appeared at an eighth-floor window and began sawing through the worker's safety rope. Apparently, the construction racket was drowning out the kid's cartoons, and he decided this would be an effective way to restore some silence.

"I shouted at him to stop, but he didn't listen and soon after, the rope was broken," the worker told Chinese new outlet Xinhua. "That's when I called to my workmate for help."

Forty minutes later, several firemen rescued the worker from his precarious position. Police questioned the boy, who eventually admitted to his actions. The kid's dad came home and apologized to the worker.

Itchymoku 
Philadelphia

Stephen Hawking: God particle could wipe out the universe

Is Stephen Hawking offering only a theoretical doomsday scenario for the Higgs Boson? Last Week Tonight With John Oliver/YouTube screenshot by Chris Matyszczyk/CNET
Stephen Hawking seems to have turned into the man with the sandwich board that says: "The end is nigh."

Not only has he warned us that aliens might destroy us, but he's also been worrying that artificial intelligence might do the same.

Now he's perceiving a threat that might not merely put an end to Earth, but to the whole Universe.

As the UK's Sunday Times reports, Hawking is worried about the God particle. This, discovered by physicists during experiments within CERN's Large Hadron Collider, is a vital ingredient to explaining why things in our world have mass.

However, in a preface to a new book called "Starmus" -- a collection of lectures gives by famous scientists and astronomers -- Hawking worried that the Higgs Boson might become unstable.

He wrote: "The Higgs potential has the worrisome feature that it might become metastable at energies above 100bn gigaelectronvolts (GeV)."

What might this lead to? Hawkins explained: "This could mean that the universe could undergo catastrophic vacuum decay, with a bubble of the true vacuum expanding at the speed of light. This could happen at any time and we wouldn't see it coming."

Before you prepare your loved ones for an evacuation to some distant star, Hawking did offer some hope with, it seems, a wry smile: "A particle accelerator that reaches 100bn GeV would be larger than Earth, and is unlikely to be funded in the present economic climate."

Itchymoku 
Philadelphia

It's okay to post people, all are welcome

Feel free to post whatever tickles your fancy! Post comments on the articles with your own thoughts too, this will make this thread very interesting!

Instead of having a billion threads all on different news articles, I'd like to have one unified thread where everyone can be subscribed and have discussions based on the articles.

I'll try to copy the format kbit uses where he copies and pastes the article and then leaves the link. I prefer to read the article on the website itself because the format is usually better. The only thing is that I figure it would look boring with just a thread with a bunch of links.

Zondor 
Portland Oregon, United States

Experience: Beginner
Platform: Ninjatrader®
Broker: CQG, Kinetick
Trading: Gameplay Klownbine® Trading of Globex
Thanks Given: 1,246
Thanks Received: 2,731

Published on Jul 26, 2012
Subscribe for free to Dr. Greger's videos at NutritionFacts.org
Donate at https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YQB42SAZTX4PN
DESCRIPTION: Death in America is largely a foodborne illness. Focusing on studies published just over the last year in peer-reviewed scientific medical journals, Michael Greger, M.D., offers practical advice on how best to feed ourselves and our families to prevent, treat, and even reverse many of the top 15 killers in the United States.

"If we don't loosen up some money, this sucker is going down." -GW Bush, 2008
“Lack of proof that something is true does not prove that it is not true - when you want to believe.” -Humpty Dumpty, 2014
“The greatest shortcoming of the human race is our inability to understand the exponential function.”
Prof. Albert Bartlett
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
 Itchymoku 
Philadelphia

Zondor View Post

Published on Jul 26, 2012
Subscribe for free to Dr. Greger's videos at NutritionFacts.org
Donate at https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YQB42SAZTX4PN
DESCRIPTION: Death in America is largely a foodborne illness. Focusing on studies published just over the last year in peer-reviewed scientific medical journals, Michael Greger, M.D., offers practical advice on how best to feed ourselves and our families to prevent, treat, and even reverse many of the top 15 killers in the United States.

I watched a few minutes of it before, but I'll give it a try and watch the whole thing because I know you've posted it a few times and you must be adamant about it

Zondor 

Please refer to HFT thread where Big Mike discussed this, I had unknowingly duplicated it.

“Lack of proof that something is true does not prove that it is not true - when you want to believe.” -Humpty Dumpty, 2014
“The greatest shortcoming of the human race is our inability to understand the exponential function.”
Prof. Albert Bartlett

Zondor 

Drillers Piling Up More Debt Than Oil Hunting Fortunes in Shale - Bloomberg

Although the shale business seems to have negative cash flow that goes along with a very low Energy Return On Energy Invested, they should be able to make it up on volume. Or hype.

Quoting 
[Shale oil drilling] Companies are paying a steep price for the gains. Like Halcon, most are spending money faster than they make it, an average of $1.17 for every dollar earned in the 12 months ended on June 30. Only seven of the U.S.-listed firms in Bloomberg Intelligence’s E&P index made more money in that time than it cost them to keep drilling. (Results for two companies included only the first six months of 2014.)

Prof. Albert Bartlett

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 33,173
Thanks Received: 101,537

Zondor View Post
These Kinds Of Market-Rigging "Practices" Will No Longer Be Allowed On The [AUTOLINK]CME[/AUTOLINK] | Zero Hedge
[I]

Note that the Bookmap application is very good at showing spoofing and quote stuffing, an example of how one could actually profit from understanding how the market is rigged.

I posted this earlier in the HFT thread, as it would seem to apply mainly to those transactions. But if you believe it deserves to be discussed elsewhere, please create a new thread for it. I don't think trading related content should be posted in an off-topic area of the site, like this thread.

Mike

We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread

Zondor 

Quoting 

Steve Almond has been a football fan almost all his life, playing sandlot games with his brothers and his friends, watching games on TV with his dad. But now as an adult he’s taking a closer look at the sport — especially the NFL — and he doesn’t like what he sees.

In his new book, “Against Football: One Fan’s Reluctant Manifesto,” Almond writes: “our allegiance to football legitimizes and ever fosters within us a tolerance for violence, greed, racism, and even homophobia.”

Mostly, this book is a personal attempt to connect the two disparate synapses that fire in my brain when I hear the word “football”: the one that calls out, Who’s playing? What channel?, and the one that murmurs, Shame on you. My hope is to honor the ethical complexities and the allure of the game. I’m trying to see football for what it truly is.

What does it mean that the most popular and unifying form of entertainment in America circa 2014 features giant muscled men, mostly African-American, engaged in a sport that causes many of them to suffer brain damage? What does it mean that our society has transmuted the intuitive physical joys of childhood—run, leap, throw, tackle—into a corporatized form of simulated combat? That a collision sport has become the leading signifier of our institutions of higher learning, and the undisputed champ of our colossal Athletic Industrial Complex?

A Fan Says No To Football | Here & Now

But wait.. there's more! Here is a video explaining how the NFL really works to funnel money to the team owners, and who pays for it. Public liabilities, private profits.

Prof. Albert Bartlett

Last Updated on March 7, 2016

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts