NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

My journal to trade by understanding market's processes and behaviors

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one erobertsonag with 92 posts (51 thanks)
    2. looks_two Malthus with 4 posts (4 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Big Mike with 4 posts (4 thanks)
    4. looks_4 HumbleTrader with 2 posts (2 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one josh with 2 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Malthus with 1 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Big Mike with 1 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 erobertsonag with 0.6 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 15,404 views
    2. thumb_up 64 thanks given
    3. group 4 followers
    1. forum 104 posts
    2. attach_file 75 attachments

Search this Thread

My journal to trade by understanding market's processes and behaviors

erobertsonag 
Gatineau Quebec Canada

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Sierra Chart
Trading: Stocks
Thanks Given: 69
Thanks Received: 79

Hi all,

Did introduce myself in the trader Hideout forum - Introduction and Beginner thread, My background is there. My plan is to share my journey to understand how markets behaves. I want to understand Market Profile (MP) first and I am using Markets In Profile from James Dalton in order to to so. I heard that Mind over Markets might be better or different but anyhow, I did choose to buy the second book first and I am able to follow it without any issues. I am currently at page 104 and did took 20 pages of hand written notes. I would like to have it completed by mid September if all goes well.

The Logical Trader will be my next purchase. Recommended as being the bible of execution (while MP is the bible of context) by a futures.io (formerly BMT) Wizard, it make sense to me.

I do have my own trading plan (it is available in my post in the Trader Hideout forum. I talks about big volume levels and velocity or speed monitoring of the trading activity), but once I will be done with both books, I will decide to either add to it, or redo it. I hope the knowledge that I will gain by going through these 2 books will help me know better what would be my next learning move.

While reading Dalton's book I do look at his recorded public webinars as well. As of now I did look at his most recent (Surviving skills ...). Maybe I should start from older webinars to newer ... I am not sure. But the focus is the book and then the other book.

Many thanks to all, I will update each time I will study, it has been about 7 weeks that I am back in trying to become a successful trader after a 7 month pause, again, thanks for the honesty of futures.io (formerly BMT) introduction reality check e-mail that he sends us when we do join the group here, it did help me realize a lot of things and that I was not alone struggling with trading and my fear were the same as many others ... I did like the name of the forum as well (Hideout !!) I think it represent what we do have to do in order to succeeded, on bad day you cannot keep that bad emotions inside, you do have to share and talk about it in order to vent these emotions in order to be prepared for the next battle.

Ok enough now, I will go back studying MP.

Oh one other thing, I do work full time and finish my weeks on Friday at noon. So when I will be ready to come back in the ring, it might be as swing and/or an intraday trader in the PM of each Friday, I will see what I learn and what I feel within the next weeks and /or months.

Cio all

Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
My NT8 Volume Profile Split by Asian/Euro/Open
NinjaTrader
NexusFi Journal Challenge - April 2024
Feedback and Announcements
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader
New Micros: Ultra 10-Year & Ultra T-Bond -- Live Now
Treasury Notes and Bonds
Build trailing stop for micro index(s)
Psychology and Money Management

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
60 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
37 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
24 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
22 thanks
The Program
19 thanks

erobertsonag 
Gatineau Quebec Canada

Today it is labor day so this morning I did spend about 2 hours of reading and studying. I am now at page 112 with 23 pages of notes. Actually it is more 46 pages of note since they are back and front... I will join my supportive wife in order to prepare the next week, I might look at a webinar tonight, I will see.

ER

Thanked by:

erobertsonag 
Gatineau Quebec Canada

Hi all,

Did looked at the oldest recorded webinar of Dalton. Now I'm confident that I am reading the best of the 2 books of Dalton (according to what he said in the webinar). THe webinar was about overnight inventory. I did get the "One timeframing higher" concept in the question period, he uses that concept to decide when the market goes back to balance. Did like it. I am more an equity trader (well I was, maybe I will switch, have to decide later) so I am not to sure how to use the pre-market data (7:00 to 9:30) with that overnight inventory ... Is overnight inventory means post market (4:00 to 8:00) ? Does his the pit session from 9:30 to 4:00 ? And then what should I do with the pre-market period ? Should it be added to the previous overnight inventory to create one single profile ? Maybe someone could help me on this one ?

Ok, time to prepare for a short week of work here ...

Tx all, good nights

Thanked by:

josh 
Georgia, US
Legendary Market Wizard

Experience: None
Platform: SC
Broker: Denali+Rithmic
Trading: ES, NQ, YM
Thanks Given: 6,752
Thanks Received: 18,136

erobertsonag View Post
I am more an equity trader (well I was, maybe I will switch, have to decide later) so I am not to sure how to use the pre-market data (7:00 to 9:30) with that overnight inventory ... Is overnight inventory means post market (4:00 to 8:00) ? Does his the pit session from 9:30 to 4:00 ? And then what should I do with the pre-market period ? Should it be added to the previous overnight inventory to create one single profile ? Maybe someone could help me on this one ?

For stocks, you will likely find such little premarket and after hours trading activity that it's best to not think of the concept of 'overnight inventory' the way Dalton does with futures. Occasionally when there is a lot of activity it can be useful, but even the most active stocks are rather dead (these days) until shortly before the open.

The ES futures day used to run from 4:30pm ET to 4:15pm ET. Now the day is technically from 6:00pm ET until 5:15pm ET, with the settlement at 4:15pm ET. I expect Dalton uses this new time but I am not certain. So little activity happens anyway from the 4:30pm to 5:15pm window that it's a rather moot point either way. So, "overnight" is technically from 6pm until 9:30am ET, with the RTH pit hours being from 9:30am to 4:15pm.

Thanked by:

erobertsonag 
Gatineau Quebec Canada

Hi All,
Tired today and too lazy to read so I did consume another webinar from Dalton, Did watch How to identify day trade oportunities of July 2011. Very consistant with the other webinars and the book. I feel that I might have a real market understanding in the future ... There are a lot of stuff but all understandable and what is the the most important is that I feel it all makes senses.

I did not open any charts yet and feel proud of it since I am used to get into charts and start dreaming about things I think I see ... And loose precious time. Which is also called the Holy Grail ... So I am Holy Grail sober as of now !

Good night all,

Thanked by:

erobertsonag 
Gatineau Quebec Canada

Hi all,

Currently at page 147 of Markets in Profile with 54 pages of handwritten notes. In a single paragraph in reference to another book (The Mature Mind of Gene Cohen) he described my 2.5 years of trading behavior via the 2 types of intelligence that we do have and what we do with both of them: Crystalised Intelligence and Fluid Intelligence. He describe my habit of going back to mechanical system in difficult time which is not good either.

I now know that we can differentiate (well he does and at least I understand) a countertrend trending day in opposite to a trending day in the trend direction by understanding the interactions on different timeframes market particpants which is reflected in the shape of the trending day profile. TWhat I am trying to explain is that the shape of a profile of an up day in a downtrend will usually be different than the shape of an upday in an uptrend .... Which is totally new to me and impossible to read with my traditional tools , volume, time based and tick based charts.

Tonight big party at Lonestar for me, my 2nd daughter is turning 16 !!

Thanks all

Thanked by:

erobertsonag 
Gatineau Quebec Canada

Hi all,

Small period of study for me for this AM. I am now at page 151.

That's about it fo now,

Have a good Sunday PM all,

Thanked by:

erobertsonag 
Gatineau Quebec Canada

Hi again,

Now at page 160 with 60 pages of notes. Not a big progess tonight but going forward ... The next pages talks about 4 different examples or scenarios, I am looking forward for these pages.

Cio

Thanked by:

erobertsonag 
Gatineau Quebec Canada

Hi again,

Now at page 164 and I finally got the short-term liquidation break end of day concept (in opposition to new short sellers coming in ...). Now I understand that part !!! I am getting close to the end of the book. My next step was supposed to get into the Logical Trader but I am hesitating between the new book, making a good recap document of Dalton's book and making myself a kind of long term scheduled plan ... They are all things that need to be done anyways ...

Good night all,

Thanked by:

Last Updated on June 17, 2015

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts