NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Novice ES trader system advice

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one arroganzmaschine with 25 posts (5 thanks)
    2. looks_two matthoffman with 9 posts (8 thanks)
    3. looks_3 isla with 7 posts (7 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Daytrader999 with 2 posts (0 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Fritzk with 2 thanks per post
    2. looks_two isla with 1 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 matthoffman with 0.9 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 arroganzmaschine with 0.2 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 6,996 views
    2. thumb_up 23 thanks given
    3. group 4 followers
    1. forum 45 posts
    2. attach_file 4 attachments

Search this Thread

Novice ES trader system advice

isla 
Kyiv/Ukraine

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: AMP/CQG
Trading: Indexes, CL
Thanks Given: 79
Thanks Received: 174

Hi,

For anything DOM related jigsawtrading is the best informational resource in my opinion. I think their videos are here on futures.io (formerly BMT) as well.

But you'll need to add something extra to just watching the order flow. Figure out what method you'll be using for determining the location of interest. Order flow means different things under different circumstances.

Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Trade idea based off three indicators.
Traders Hideout
MC PL editor upgrade
MultiCharts
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Spoo-nalysis ES e-mini futures S&P 500
29 thanks
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
25 thanks
Tao te Trade: way of the WLD
24 thanks
Bigger Wins or Fewer Losses?
23 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
18 thanks
arroganzmaschine
Oldenburg, Germany

Thanks Given: 53
Thanks Received: 11

isla View Post
Hi,

For anything DOM related jigsawtrading is the best informational resource in my opinion. I think their videos are here on futures.io (formerly BMT) as well.

But you'll need to add something extra to just watching the order flow. Figure out what method you'll be using for determining the location of interest. Order flow means different things under different circumstances.

Is just watching the DOM and charts not enough?

matthoffman 
wichita,ks, united states

Experience: Advanced
Broker: AMP
Trading: ES,TF,NQ,CL,
Thanks Given: 427
Thanks Received: 16

Well specific setups using the DOM are taught by John Grady, and he teaches the 30 yr note and possibly the ES. His setups are hard to find on the tf and es honestly because the low size used in these contracts doesn't give you much thinking time. I don't know specific setups used on the 55 tick. My understanding is bunched up lines all around a support area. clusters of 55 tick bars show lots of interest in an area. The OHLC bar has been used in all the times I've seen an example. depending on the break (up or down) thats the trade. You increase your odds of success by using the higher time frame chart to show trade direction. Have you tried youtube?

"When new money is created on a grand scale, it must go somewhere and have some major consequences. One of these will be greatly increased volatility and instability in the economy and financial system."
J. Anthony Boeckh
Follow me on Twitter Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
 isla 
Kyiv/Ukraine

arroganzmaschine View Post
Is just watching the DOM and charts not enough?

DOM and charts are instruments. You need to developed understanding of what moves the price.

Thanked by:
arroganzmaschine
Oldenburg, Germany

matthoffman View Post
Well specific setups using the DOM are taught by John Grady, and he teaches the 30 yr note and possibly the ES. His setups are hard to find on the tf and es honestly because the low size used in these contracts doesn't give you much thinking time. I don't know specific setups used on the 55 tick. My understanding is bunched up lines all around a support area. clusters of 55 tick bars show lots of interest in an area. The OHLC bar has been used in all the times I've seen an example. depending on the break (up or down) thats the trade. You increase your odds of success by using the higher time frame chart to show trade direction. Have you tried youtube?

I thought I knew the direction by using short term direction within the tick charts (e.g. 500 ticks for ES). Then I localize support/resistance areas or just trade trend direction with DOM. But I'm struggling sometimes identifying the right direction in entering the trade.

matthoffman 

I thought I knew the direction by using short term direction within the tick charts (e.g. 500 ticks for ES). Than I localize support/resistance areas or just trade trend direction with DOM. But I'm struggling sometimes identifying the right direction in entering the trade.

I've not used the dom on Sierra charts but, If I were planning a long trade, I would watch the dom as it pulled back. When the volume of trades cuts off, especially if its near a support line, vpoc, low volume node, high volume node. I would enter my long there. I think you confirm this on the 55 tick chart as a double top or bottom. So the bars tap that area and pull back from it.

"When new money is created on a grand scale, it must go somewhere and have some major consequences. One of these will be greatly increased volatility and instability in the economy and financial system."
J. Anthony Boeckh
Thanked by:
arroganzmaschine
Oldenburg, Germany

matthoffman View Post
I've not used the dom on Sierra charts but, If I were planning a long trade, I would watch the dom as it pulled back. When the volume of trades cuts off, especially if its near a support line, vpoc, low volume node, high volume node. I would enter my long there. I think you confirm this on the 55 tick chart as a double top or bottom. So the bars tap that area and pull back from it.

Especially for ES. Which two tick charts would you recommend? I just used 500 tick until now.

matthoffman 

Especially for ES. Which two tick charts would you recommend? I just used 500 tick until now.

I've seen people use the 440 and 576 and 610. I don't think it matters too much, theres no magical chart number. I would stick with odd numbers since even numbers are going to be popular with most newbies and you may have a slight edge by using a odd number. So if you like the 500 try using a 490 instead. Ideally you get a slight angle in the trend direction ahead of other people using the even number.

J. Anthony Boeckh
Thanked by:
arroganzmaschine
Oldenburg, Germany

matthoffman View Post
I've seen people use the 440 and 576 and 610. I don't think it matters too much, theres no magical chart number. I would stick with odd numbers since even numbers are going to be popular with most newbies and you may have a slight edge by using a odd number. So if you like the 500 try using a 490 instead. Ideally you get a slight angle in the trend direction ahead of other people using the even number.

When do I leave the long trade? On the last high? Or just hold it until another resistance appears?
Just use on charts or two? (e.g. 490 and 1000 tick?)

In addition to that: How long do I have to wait? And how much do I have to watch the DOM until a clear signal appears? Just short term buying pressure? Or over a timeframe of 1-2 minutes?

isla 
Kyiv/Ukraine

When do I leave the long trade? On the last high? Or just hold it until another resistance appears?
Just use on charts or two? (e.g. 490 and 1000 tick?)

Don't focus too much on chart configurations. Also it's not useful for your development as a trader to ask many questions. Trust me, no answer will be better than the one you'll get after a bit of thinking yourself.

Try to go beyond squiggles and numbers on your screen. Develop a framework for yourself and then use the tools for execution of your OWN ideas.

Thanked by:

Last Updated on February 27, 2015

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts