NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

A Quant's perspective on building a trading system.

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one SodyTexas with 31 posts (189 thanks)
    2. looks_two Limitless100 with 6 posts (2 thanks)
    3. looks_3 artemiso with 4 posts (3 thanks)
    4. looks_4 RickW00716 with 4 posts (1 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one SodyTexas with 6.1 thanks per post
    2. looks_two fourtiwinks with 5 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 DarkPoolTrading with 4 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 liquidcci with 3 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 28,261 views
    2. thumb_up 231 thanks given
    3. group 90 followers
    1. forum 74 posts
    2. attach_file 5 attachments

Search this Thread

A Quant's perspective on building a trading system.

RickW00716 
Richmond Virginia

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Ninja Trader
Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 306
Thanks Received: 163

SodyTexas View Post
I have made the AhrensBB but not the keltner channel. might be a fun side project. Attached is the AhrensBB. I will also, post it in the elite indicator section.

Cheers,

Sody

thanks, I'll check this out

Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
REcommedations for programming help
Sierra Chart
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader
MC PL editor upgrade
MultiCharts
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Spoo-nalysis ES e-mini futures S&P 500
29 thanks
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
25 thanks
Tao te Trade: way of the WLD
24 thanks
Bigger Wins or Fewer Losses?
23 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
18 thanks
Limitless100
New York, New York

Thanks Given: 163
Thanks Received: 61

I'm having trouble viewing the attached file code. It won't open on my computer, what type of program do I need to open the file? Also, I'm on my Mac right now which could be an issue,.

sptrader 
Colorado

Experience: Advanced
Platform: MultiCharts
Broker: IB & Iqfeed
Trading: ES , CL
Thanks Given: 1,097
Thanks Received: 701

Has anyone coded the "Ahrens Moving Average" for Multicharts - Tradestation ?

(or post the formula )..

SodyTexas 
Austin TX

Platform: Ninjatrader, Python, & R
Broker: RJO
Trading: Futures, Spreads
Thanks Given: 117
Thanks Received: 1,085

sptrader View Post
Has anyone coded the "Ahrens Moving Average" for Multicharts - Tradestation ?

(or post the formula )..

Formula is in the 2013 OCT issue of Stocks and Commodities.

"The great Traders have always been humbled by the market early on in their careers creating a deep respect for the market. Until one has this respect indelibly engraved in their makeup, the concept of money management and discipline will never be treated seriously."
Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

SodyTexas 
Austin TX

Limitless100 View Post
I'm having trouble viewing the attached file code. It won't open on my computer, what type of program do I need to open the file? Also, I'm on my Mac right now which could be an issue,.

Which code are you having issue with? If you are using a make, what are you trying to open it with?

"The great Traders have always been humbled by the market early on in their careers creating a deep respect for the market. Until one has this respect indelibly engraved in their makeup, the concept of money management and discipline will never be treated seriously."

NJAMC 
Atkinson, NH USA
Market Wizard

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NinjaTrader 8/TensorFlow
Broker: NinjaTrader Brokerage
Trading: Futures, CL, ES, ZB
Thanks Given: 3,037
Thanks Received: 2,395

Hi @SodyTexas,

I have a question about your development flow chart. You have t-score listed there as well as t-value. Is that the Student T test value?

This looks like it will be a great thread!

Nil per os
-NJAMC [Generic Programmer]

LOM WIKI: NT-Local-Order-Manager-LOM-Guide
Artificial Bee Colony Optimization
Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

SodyTexas 
Austin TX

NJAMC View Post
Hi @SodyTexas,

I have a question about your development flow chart. You have t-score listed there as well as t-value. Is that the Student T test value?

This looks like it will be a great thread!

Great question, they are two different items in statistics.

T - Score (aka T-statistic) = (Sample Mean - Hypothesized Sample Mean) / (Sample Standard Deviation / Square root of the sample size)

You can reference the second attachment called "the paradigm shift" on how to look at this with a trading system. Or do some research on Van Tharp's SQN, but keep in mind he uses 100 instead of the square root of sample size.

The Students T Distribution, does have a t-score associated with it for hypothesis testing. But, a Student's t Distribution is a distribution curve usually used on hypothesis testing with a sample size of less than 30. It is basically a normal distribution curve with thicker tails and lower peak. The higher the sample size is the more "normal" a Students T Distribution approaches. Frankly, there is a high level of sampling error when only dealing with a small number of trades. Since I am hoping that any test we run has much more trades than 30 the Student T test would not be used.

I might have a typo on the flow chart as I compare t-score with a critical t value (might be what I meant). The critical t-value is the point that you want the t-score to be above, otherwise the system performance might have been caused from just luck and should not have any statistical confidence around the results. I can't seem to find where it says t value, only Critical (t) value; am I missing it?

Thanked by:
Limitless100
New York, New York

SodyTexas View Post
Which code are you having issue with? If you are using a make, what are you trying to open it with?

On the previous page you attached AhrensBB and Soderstroms cloud files. I'm not quite sure what type of file it is. I was assuming it was a file containing your code for those specific indicators, so mostly plain text, when I tried to open it nothing seemed to happen. It would clone itself into another ZIP file with an added extension CPGZ.

SodyTexas 
Austin TX

Limitless100 View Post
On the previous page you attached AhrensBB and Soderstroms cloud files. I'm not quite sure what type of file it is. I was assuming it was a file containing your code for those specific indicators, so mostly plain text, when I tried to open it nothing seemed to happen. It would clone itself into another ZIP file with an added extension CPGZ.

I apologize, I failed to mention that I am using Ninjatrader for the trading system and indicators. These are .CS files (C#) that Ninatrader uses. They can be opened with Ninjatrader of my recommendation Visual Studio..

When using a MAC look into a program called XCode, it will be able to open a .CS file as well.

Cheers,

Sody

Limitless100
New York, New York

SodyTexas View Post
I apologize, I failed to mention that I am using Ninjatrader for the trading system and indicators. These are .CS files (C#) that Ninatrader uses. They can be opened with Ninjatrader of my recommendation Visual Studio..

When using a MAC look into a program called XCode, it will be able to open a .CS file as well.

Cheers,

Sody

Great I code in C++ and use visual studio. Would I be able to open to C# file on visual studio and convert to c++?

I have a windows PC and Laptop for work, the mac is just a knock around computer haha.

Last Updated on September 26, 2014

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts