NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

A Quant's perspective on building a trading system.

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one SodyTexas with 31 posts (189 thanks)
    2. looks_two Limitless100 with 6 posts (2 thanks)
    3. looks_3 artemiso with 4 posts (3 thanks)
    4. looks_4 RickW00716 with 4 posts (1 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one SodyTexas with 6.1 thanks per post
    2. looks_two fourtiwinks with 5 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 DarkPoolTrading with 4 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 bobwest with 1.5 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 27,926 views
    2. thumb_up 231 thanks given
    3. group 90 followers
    1. forum 74 posts
    2. attach_file 5 attachments

Search this Thread

A Quant's perspective on building a trading system.

SodyTexas 
Austin TX

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Ninjatrader, Python, & R
Broker: RJO
Trading: Futures, Spreads
Thanks Given: 117
Thanks Received: 1,085

Broman View Post
As someone new to futures trading and absorbing as much as I can, I'm finding your information extremely interesting. Looking forward to watching you progress.

Thank you for sharing!

Glad to see someone new to futures. If you have any questions just let me know. THANK YOU for following along.

Sody

"The great Traders have always been humbled by the market early on in their careers creating a deep respect for the market. Until one has this respect indelibly engraved in their makeup, the concept of money management and discipline will never be treated seriously."
Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Are there any eval firms that allow you to sink to your …
Traders Hideout
New Micros: Ultra 10-Year & Ultra T-Bond -- Live Now
Treasury Notes and Bonds
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
Futures True Range Report
The Elite Circle

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
61 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
39 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
26 thanks
The Program
18 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
18 thanks
Gill1
New York

Thanks Given: 0
Thanks Received: 2

Sounds interesting.

I guess I am five.

Thanked by:
 ckkoh 
Singapore

Experience: Beginner
Platform: ThinkOrSwim, NinjaTrader
Trading: options, currency
Thanks Given: 23
Thanks Received: 12

@SodyTexas,

Interested in the Ahren's Moving Average. Wonder where I could find a NT7 version of the indicator? How is its performance like compare to Kaufmann Adaptive Moving Average?

Thanks in advance.

Thanked by:

SodyTexas 
Austin TX

ckkoh View Post
@SodyTexas,

Interested in the Ahren's Moving Average. Wonder where I could find a NT7 version of the indicator? How is its performance like compare to Kaufmann Adaptive Moving Average?

Thanks in advance.

Aw yes, the Ahrens Moving Average. By far my favorite moving average, it tends to be much smoother than kaufmans. Perry Kaufman uses what he calls Alpha in the EMA formula to create his AMA (Aka, Kaufmans Moving Average). There have been a number of variations of the AMA by changing the the alpha in his formula to some other type of smoothing.If you are asking if this a variation of kaufmann's the answer is no. it is its own moving average, some may even call it a momentum moving average.

The original formula was invented by Richard Ahrens and published in Stock and Commodities Oct 2013. I have attached a XPS version of that article in this post so you can see how he derived the formula. The one I use is slightly different from Ahrens. In Ahren's calculation he uses the open and the close in his formula. But, I like to take out as much variance as I can when trading intra-bar so I use the same formula but based on the high and low of the bar. Variance of the indicator itself, better explained by how much the indicator moves on the bar when calculate on bar close is false. That way the only time the AhrensMA will change is when the bar is either making new highs or new lows. Using it on PnF adds another step for smoothing because depending if we are drawing X's or O's the moving average will only be affected by either new highs (X's) or new lows(O's). So in this case the AhrensMA is about as smooth as one could need in PnF and the variance of the moving average is low making more accurate crosses.

Attached is the indicator code by me with my variation. I hope you like it, it is very smooth and a much better calculation then a zero lag.

"The great Traders have always been humbled by the market early on in their careers creating a deep respect for the market. Until one has this respect indelibly engraved in their makeup, the concept of money management and discipline will never be treated seriously."
Attached Files
Elite Membership required to download: Ahrens.zip

SodyTexas 
Austin TX

SodyTexas View Post
Aw yes, the Ahrens Moving Average. By far my favorite moving average, it tends to be much smoother than kaufmans. Perry Kaufman uses what he calls Alpha in the EMA formula to create his AMA (Aka, Kaufmans Moving Average). There have been a number of variations of the AMA by changing the the alpha in his formula to some other type of smoothing.If you are asking if this a variation of kaufmann's the answer is no. it is its own moving average, some may even call it a momentum moving average.

The original formula was invented by Richard Ahrens and published in Stock and Commodities Oct 2013. I have attached a XPS version of that article in this post so you can see how he derived the formula. The one I use is slightly different from Ahrens. In Ahren's calculation he uses the open and the close in his formula. But, I like to take out as much variance as I can when trading intra-bar so I use the same formula but based on the high and low of the bar. Variance of the indicator itself, better explained by how much the indicator moves on the bar when calculate on bar close is false. That way the only time the AhrensMA will change is when the bar is either making new highs or new lows. Using it on PnF adds another step for smoothing because depending if we are drawing X's or O's the moving average will only be affected by either new highs (X's) or new lows(O's). So in this case the AhrensMA is about as smooth as one could need in PnF and the variance of the moving average is low making more accurate crosses.

Attached is the indicator code by me with my variation. I hope you like it, it is very smooth and a much better calculation then a zero lag.

The XPS of Ahrens did not upload, so let me attach the PDF of the OCT 2013 S&C. I also added it to the elite members section for indicators. Actually, all the indicators in this system are coded by me and i will be sharing them all.. Open transparency = collaboration. I still need to cover how I break up sampling data, and include the other indicators such as the ichimoku cloud with added fibonacci cushion, which i will do soon.

RickW00716 
Richmond Virginia

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Ninja Trader
Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 306
Thanks Received: 163

SodyTexas View Post
The XPS of Ahrens did not upload, so let me attach the PDF of the OCT 2013 S&C. I also added it to the elite members section for indicators. Actually, all the indicators in this system are coded by me and i will be sharing them all.. Open transparency = collaboration. I still need to cover how I break up sampling data, and include the other indicators such as the ichimoku cloud with added fibonacci cushion, which i will do soon.

Have you thought of creating a Bollinger band or Keltner channel using the Ahrens moving average?

SodyTexas 
Austin TX

RickW00716 View Post
Have you thought of creating a Bollinger band or Keltner channel using the Ahrens moving average?

I have made the AhrensBB but not the keltner channel. might be a fun side project. Attached is the AhrensBB. I will also, post it in the elite indicator section.

Cheers,

Sody

Attached Files
Elite Membership required to download: AhrensBB.zip

liquidcci 
Austin, TX

Experience: Master
Platform: ninjatrader, r-trader
Trading: NQ, CL
Thanks Given: 610
Thanks Received: 1,091

@SodyTexas your strategy development flow chart is great. Nice work.

"The day I became a winning trader was the day it became boring. Daily losses no longer bother me and daily wins no longer excited me. Took years of pain and busting a few accounts before finally got my mind right. I survived the darkness within and now just chillax and let my black box do the work."
Thanked by:

SodyTexas 
Austin TX

liquidcci View Post
@SodyTexas your strategy development flow chart is great. Nice work.

Thanks, stay tuned I will be going through the entire flow chart with code and examples on this journal!

Sody,

Thanked by:

SodyTexas 
Austin TX

Ok, lets talk about the next indicator, the SoderstromCloud. It is the Ichimoku Cloud with both the Senkou Span A and B but it add something unique to the mix.

If you do the math on the Snekou Span B it is always the 50% line in the Fibonacci retracement looking back the standard 52 periods of Ichimoku; and acts as either support or resistance. Many times you will see price peak out of this line and retrace back true it causing a false signal.

But what I did to add cushioning by expanding the Senkou Span B to the next nearest Fibonacci line. I am not a complete believer in Fibonacci, but because many traders are I think it becomes a self-fulfilling S&R. Logically, to me if I was going to fatten the Senkou Span B line (needed for proper position sizing using Van Tharps R-multiples) the next Fibonacci retracements makes sense.

Attached is the indicator, like before I will also post it in the elite indicator section.

Cheers, Sody

Attached Files
Elite Membership required to download: SoderstromsCloud.zip

Last Updated on September 26, 2014

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts