NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Indicators are not the answer

Discussion in Psychology and Money Management

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Andrew with 8 posts (0 thanks)
    2. looks_two wh with 5 posts (0 thanks)
    3. looks_3 bigK with 3 posts (0 thanks)
    4. looks_4 benbrooke with 3 posts (1 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Big Mike with 9 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Lynx21 with 6 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Silvester17 with 4 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 FBJS with 2.3 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 14,671 views
    2. thumb_up 37 thanks given
    3. group 18 followers
    1. forum 42 posts
    2. attach_file 4 attachments

Search this Thread

Indicators are not the answer

wh 
Neubrandenburg, Germany

Experience: Advanced
Platform: R
Trading: Stocks
Thanks Given: 298
Thanks Received: 512

koganam View Post
It actually does exist. It is called money management.

Manage the ONLY thing that you can control: your losses.
Trade to trade well; do not focus on the profits. The market determines the profits: the only that that you determine is the size of your losses.

i agree with you ...
It's got all the ingredients of a masterpiece... discretionary, focus on S/R and a distinct lack of the devil's work (indicators) in combination of good money management.

Causality is the relationship between an event (the cause) and a second event (the effect), where the second event is a consequence of the first.

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Deepmoney LLM
Elite Quantitative GenAI/LLM
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
The space time continuum and the dynamics of a financial …
Emini and Emicro Index
Are there any eval firms that allow you to sink to your …
Traders Hideout
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader

Andrew
sea side

Thanks Given: 86
Thanks Received: 25

my 2 cents
Everybody knows that indicators are price derivatives, but those who actually knows in details who work certain indicators definitely will use it with profit.
However others prefer something "pure", i.e. price or volume or range and in details knowing how it works will profit from that too.
The key, seems, is to know in details how works what you use and whether it fits your personality, because spending a lot of time with something better to have it comfortable.

P.s. but all that like on show, if you are sitting faraway from stage you are seeing less than those who are just a few steps/meters away.

Krgds,
Andrew

bigK 
Surabaya

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NinjaTrader
Thanks Given: 15
Thanks Received: 6

Andrew View Post
my 2 cents
Everybody knows that indicators are price derivatives, but those who actually knows in details who work certain indicators definitely will use it with profit.
However others prefer something "pure", i.e. price or volume or range and in details knowing how it works will profit from that too.
The key, seems, is to know in details how works what you use and whether it fits your personality, because spending a lot of time with something better to have it comfortable.

P.s. but all that like on show, if you are sitting faraway from stage you are seeing less than those who are just a few steps/meters away.

Krgds,
Andrew

Knowing the details and how its works its just another illusion that market gave to you.

And I agree that I can only control my losses because that was only thing that I can controlled with, That's why I need to see the RANGE

Andrew
sea side

BigK,

Very simple question what you do if market change ranges ?

P.s. I've read somewhere that trading is mind game
the main is to be careful in order not to game your mind

Krgds,
Andrew

bigK View Post
Knowing the details and how its works its just another illusion that market gave to you.

And I agree that I can only control my losses because that was only thing that I can controlled with, That's why I need to see the RANGE

bigK 
Surabaya

Experience: Intermediate
Thanks Given: 15
Thanks Received: 6

Andrew View Post
BigK,

Very simple question what you do if market change ranges ?

P.s. I've read somewhere that trading is mind game
the main is to be careful in order not to game your mind

Krgds,
Andrew

RANGE - what I mean is chart that use a VALUE based like range bar or renko. so examine ONLY the range that u trust much!

Why Value based- like range bar or renko. Because that's how I define my RISK e.g. I use 20 renko for gbp/usd and my possible losses is 20+20 PIP minus or 40 PIP

Andrew
sea side

BigK,
Yours well noted.
glad to hear you have that's working for you, that's very important.
Krgds,
Andrew

bigK View Post
RANGE - what I mean is chart that use a VALUE based like range bar or renko. so examine ONLY the range that u trust much!

Why Value based- like range bar or renko. Because that's how I define my RISK e.g. I use 20 renko for gbp/usd and my possible losses is 20+20 PIP minus or 40 PIP

FBJS 
Toronto

Thanks Given: 30
Thanks Received: 193

There are two types of indicators: those which you personally choose that help you to view the market optimally and/or make your own personal trading decisions, and those that are "common" to a large group of traders and are essentially self-fulfilling prophecies.

The first types of indicators are optional, because nobody else is really reacting to them, and so it's just your personal preference whether you like to use them or not. The second type, however, are important for everybody to be looking at, even if you don't use them in your personal trading decisions.

For example, anyone who is daytrading without having at least the following 2 EMAs on their charts is at somewhat of a disadvantage:

20 period EMA on the 5 minute
20 period EMA on the 15 minute

You don't have to have a 5 minute chart or a 15 minute chart open, but if you don't have these lines drawn on whatever time frame you are looking at, it's like not being aware of important resistance and support levels that 80% of the rest of the market is using. Sure, you can always detect that a trend is slowing down at these levels using price action or other measures, but knowing where these lines are ahead of time and how other traders will typically react to them is a big advantage.

Now personally, if I was designing a trading system from scratch, I probably wouldn't have chosen these particular periods as being very important, as I think that there are probably better ways to view the market... but my personal opinion in this case is irrelevant, because so many other traders look at these things. Since tons of traders follow these averages and place their orders around them, if you don't have them on your charts you are missing some valuable information about support/resistance areas in the market.

There are other well-known MAs on different time frames that are also used by a number of traders, which become self-fulfilling prophecies as resistance/support areas as well.

So I would say that while many indicators are not really necessary, the more common ones like the two I mentioned are very useful for "spying" on what other traders are looking at and taking advantage of them.

Thanked by:
siege
Sydney, Australia

Thanks Given: 0
Thanks Received: 1

FBJS View Post
For example, anyone who is daytrading without having at least the following 2 EMAs on their charts is at somewhat of a disadvantage:

20 period EMA on the 5 minute
20 period EMA on the 15 minute

What if you had positive expectancy without these indicators? If anything you'd have less to worry about if all you had was price and volume and thats it.

Alot of people claim to trade without indicators on this forum but then they through in a couple moving averages here and there... Moving averages are still indicators!

wh 
Neubrandenburg, Germany

Platform: R
Trading: Stocks
Thanks Given: 298
Thanks Received: 512

siege View Post
Moving averages are still indicators!

but they are also a numerical representation of a dataset ... to interpret the data.

Causality is the relationship between an event (the cause) and a second event (the effect), where the second event is a consequence of the first.
siege
Sydney, Australia

Thanks Given: 0
Thanks Received: 1

wh View Post
but they are also a numerical representation of a dataset ... to interpret the data.

That is what every indicator is... an indicator manipulates the fundamental datasets (price and volume) to produce another dataset...

Why spend all your time on trying to read another dataset when you've got the original and most reliable right there in front of you?

Last Updated on January 18, 2010

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts