NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Risk Manage with TOS

Discussion in ThinkOrSwim

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one realcapri with 9 posts (1 thanks)
    2. looks_two rmejia with 3 posts (1 thanks)
    3. looks_3 mykee with 2 posts (0 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Massive l with 2 posts (6 thanks)
    1. trending_up 8,076 views
    2. thumb_up 8 thanks given
    3. group 3 followers
    1. forum 15 posts
    2. attach_file 3 attachments

Search this Thread

Risk Manage with TOS

rmejia 
Puerto Rico

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: thinkorswim
Broker: TD Ameritrade
Trading: Options
Thanks Given: 3,614
Thanks Received: 441

realcapri View Post
is there other ways of viewing "P/L open" upon order entry?

The P/L Open, Year, Percent, & Day for positions is viewed on the Monitor tab, Activity and Positions, Position Statement. You can also create a watchlist for current positions and put those P/L items as a column. On some of the charts, like the Active Trader tab if you select a chart with a current open position, on the bottom there will pop up a Position tab with the same info as the monitor tab for the current selected chart or charts on that tab.

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
need some ninjascript help
Traders Hideout
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
My NT8 Volume Profile Split by Asian/Euro/Open
NinjaTrader
Futures True Range Report
The Elite Circle
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle

realcapri
Johor/Malaysia

Thanks Given: 3
Thanks Received: 1

rmejia View Post
The P/L Open, Year, Percent, & Day for positions is viewed on the Monitor tab, Activity and Positions, Position Statement. You can also create a watchlist for current positions and put those P/L items as a column. On some of the charts, like the Active Trader tab if you select a chart with a current open position, on the bottom there will pop up a Position tab with the same info as the monitor tab for the current selected chart or charts on that tab.

Thanks rmejia, but I supposed what you've mentioned only applies to "existing" open trades right?

I'm actually looking for ways to preview the potential "P/L Open" upon order entry (before order is Confirm & Send). Doing so allows me to setup a trade with a specific risk$ per trade, else how is anyone able to know how much would be loss/gain from the SL & TP?

I've also noticed the Active Trader "P/L Open" column only shows something after the trade was opened, pending trades doesn't show anything unfortunately.

rmejia 
Puerto Rico

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: thinkorswim
Broker: TD Ameritrade
Trading: Options
Thanks Given: 3,614
Thanks Received: 441

Yes , the position indicator is only for open trades.

For "analyzing" a trade prior to execution there is the analyze tab. In Analyze Tab you can have a couple of "slices" (trade price, stop, target1, target2, etc.), and it will show you the P/L for the position when you input price or move around the lines in the graph. Don't know if you were looking for something simpler or automatic. You can setup or analyze a trade in the analyze tab then convert it into an order.

Thanked by:
realcapri
Johor/Malaysia

rmejia View Post
Yes , the position indicator is only for open trades.

For "analyzing" a trade prior to execution there is the analyze tab. In Analyze Tab you can have a couple of "slices" (trade price, stop, target1, target2, etc.), and it will show you the P/L for the position when you input price or move around the lines in the graph. Don't know if you were looking for something simpler or automatic. You can setup or analyze a trade in the analyze tab then convert it into an order.

Thanks rmejia, never expect analyze tab to do the job. This would possibly be the only solution for me right now, though a little inconvenient but at least it seems to be doing the job. I hope TOS developers do something about this, it would be much better to include info about potential risk$ / gain$ when SL / TP are included, or even allow traders to trade based on % of account size.

Cheers!

Massive l 
OR/USA
Legendary /NQ Trader

Experience: None
Thanks Given: 1,859
Thanks Received: 5,106

realcapri View Post
Hi Massive I,

Thanks, that's the information I'm looking for. But is there other ways of viewing "P/L open" upon order entry? Viewing through ActiveTrader for my potential risk$ & profit$ will be my last alternative though if I can't find other ways.

I've coded with MQL4 for metatrader, haven't spend time studying Thinkscript. Is it possible to output "P/L open" somehow through Thinkscript?

@realcapri maybe getting closer..haven't use this code but found it on thinkscripter from user functionform

# PeriodPLLabel
# functionform, thinkscripter.com forum
# Show a label for the profit loss of the current chart in either dollars or percent

declare upper;

input time = {Day, default Week, Month, Year};
input percent = yes;

def newtimeperiod;
switch(time) {
case Day: newtimeperiod = getDay() != getDay()[1];
case Week: newtimeperiod = getWeek() != getWeek()[1];
case Month: newtimeperiod = getMonth() != getMonth()[1];
case Year: newtimeperiod = getYear() != getYear()[1];
}

def op = open;
def cl = close;

def newperiod = newtimeperiod;

rec base = if newperiod then op else base[1];

def pricepl = cl - base;
def percpl = (pricepl / base) * 100;
def finalpl = if percent then percpl else pricepl;

AddChartLabel(
concat(time, concat(concat(" P/L: ", Round(finalpl, 2)), if percent then "%" else "$")),
if finalpl > 0 then Color.GREEN else Color.RED);

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
realcapri
Johor/Malaysia

Massive l View Post
@realcapri maybe getting closer..haven't use this code but found it on thinkscripter from user functionform

# PeriodPLLabel
# functionform, thinkscripter.com forum
# Show a label for the profit loss of the current chart in either dollars or percent

Hi Massive I, thanks for the code, will try that out later.

Cheers!

Last Updated on August 13, 2014

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts