NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Deliberate Practice

Discussion in Psychology and Money Management

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one bijeremiad with 5 posts (27 thanks)
    2. looks_two SBtrader82 with 4 posts (9 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Jura with 4 posts (12 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Tap In with 4 posts (6 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one pludloe with 6 thanks per post
    2. looks_two bijeremiad with 5.4 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Jura with 3 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 SBtrader82 with 2.3 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 10,762 views
    2. thumb_up 82 thanks given
    3. group 17 followers
    1. forum 34 posts
    2. attach_file 4 attachments

Search this Thread

Deliberate Practice

SBtrader82   is a Vendor

Thanks Given: 222
Thanks Received: 1,333

TradingDrills View Post
Hi SBtrader82,

I used deliberate practice as the best method to train aspiring traders to become consistent on a single setup: Find a trend and take its pullbacks
Let me provide everyone with some rough statistics from my training experience with lots of students since 2013 when my Training/coaching Method changed:

1- Vidoe/webinars with Q/A ~ ~5% chance of success
2- Vidoe/webinars with Q/A + Powerpoint drills sent offline ~ 10% chance of success
3- Vidoe/webinars with Q/A + Smart Drills under LMS ~ 30% chance of success
4- Vidoe/webinars with Q/A + Smart Drills under LMS+ 1-1 coaching ~ 50% chance of success

Note:
The #1 disappointed me as I spend lots of time preparing many videos and explaining in detail the trade conditions and expected a much higher chance of success. Then I realized in the performance coaching era like trading, is like teaching swimming outside water by videos, which is not effective.

The #2 was more effective but it took lots of my personal time to provide feedback to those who completed the offline drills. I realized only students who practiced these drills become consistent, which was the beginning of my research on the topic of deliberate practice in detail. But with this system, only 10% completed these drills as there was no enforcement, and the majority not used these effective drills and only watched videos.

The #3 had Deliberate practice component and was using Smart Drills. All other price action setups were removed and the focus of the process and Algo conditions were to trade only one simple pullback setup. It was also embedded under Learning Management System (LMS) that was facilitating the coaching process. However, personal coaching was sporadic and missing at the end for coachable students. I realized some traders need direct specific coaching when they get to Trading Personalization at the end (selection of Time frame, instrument, risk tolerance & SL, trading hours/session, Money Management, preparing journals).

The #4 is the best coaching system so far as it is completely based on deliberate practice with the smart drills under LMS that provide instant automatic feedback to students, so it will not take my personal time till the trader completes all essential training and understands our terminology. By that time if any coachable student remains in the LMS training system, then I will invest my time to coach them personally after the interview.

By the way, 50% will never become a successful trader even with the best training system as they cannot resolve their psychological Cognitive/Emotional mismatches.

@TradingDrills everything that you write sounds very weird to me, what does it mean "it was also embedded under Learning Management System (LMS)"? there are many part of your post that if I read them rationally they sound just like a bunch of complicated words stick together, but they make no sense to me.

I don't understand what you are offering, does your method/system makes money? if so can you prove this claim?
Or are you just a coach? (I have nothing against coaches) but I cannot understand when you say trading system etc... and then you talk about coaching.

Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Pivot Indicator like the old SwingTemp by Big Mike
NinjaTrader
Trade idea based off three indicators.
Traders Hideout
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
How to apply profiles
Traders Hideout
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Spoo-nalysis ES e-mini futures S&P 500
48 thanks
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
32 thanks
Bigger Wins or Fewer Losses?
24 thanks
Tao te Trade: way of the WLD
24 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
22 thanks

bobwest 
Western Florida
Site Moderator

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Sierra Chart
Trading: ES, YM
Frequency: Several times daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 57,468
Thanks Received: 26,279

TradingDrills View Post
Hi SBtrader82,

I used deliberate practice as the best method to train aspiring traders to become consistent on a single setup: Find a trend and take its pullbacks
Let me provide everyone with some rough statistics from my training experience with lots of students since 2013 when my Training/coaching Method changed:

The #4 is the best coaching system so far as it is completely based on deliberate practice with the smart drills under LMS that provide instant automatic feedback to students, so it will not take my personal time till the trader completes all essential training and understands our terminology. By that time if any coachable student remains in the LMS training system, then I will invest my time to coach them personally after the interview.

Moderator Notice
Moderator Notice

When one door closes, another opens.
-- Cervantes, Don Quixote
 Chof 
Edmonton AB. / Canada

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NT 8
Broker: Amp / CQG
Trading: NQ index
Frequency: Several times daily
Duration: Seconds
Thanks Given: 29
Thanks Received: 50

I believe "deliberate practice" can/will benefit any trader. Dr Steenbargers advice to journal such practice/actual trades applies the experience to your historical record and helps you grade results.
His advice (as others have said) is a great way to pick specific things to work on. The prep
and emotional considerations before trading should also be considered. These sorts of matters are rarely spoken about - but are so important to achieve consistant results.

Generally, pick one or two things/skill to work on. Stick to your hard loss limit - like 3 losses in a row.
Practice/trade for an hour at a time max - go for a walk or drink of water. Keep track of results and then journal same at the end of the session and you'll get better - simple. (right)

I hope I haven't missed the point with this - (just sharing what I've always done)

All the best and good trading!

Thanked by:

Bermudan Option 
Chicago, Illinois

Experience: Beginner
Platform: TradingView
Broker: ThinkOrSwim
Trading: Forex, Stock & Options
Thanks Given: 846
Thanks Received: 471

Bump

Sent using the NexusFi mobile app

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

Bermudan Option 
Chicago, Illinois

Experience: Beginner
Platform: TradingView
Broker: ThinkOrSwim
Trading: Forex, Stock & Options
Thanks Given: 846
Thanks Received: 471

One area that I've been honing in on a lot is the idea of a denaturing a skillset that needs improvement. Let's say I'm getting caught on the wrong side of the market and entering when the market reverses. Instead of something generic like "Get a better feel for market structure", I go one level deeper (aka the drillset) and ask myself what are the individual parts of market structure that I can improve on? This could give specific ideas like identifying HHs vs LLs, better categorizing whether a market is strongly/weakly trending vs rangebound, etc. I would then create goals based on these lower-tiered ideas.

Lately, I've been working on my 'drillset' three ways:
  1. Setting a timer to encourage/force myself to write up my feelings at regular intervals, to get a more granular look at how I'm viewing an evolving mkt instead of waiting until the end of the trading session.
  2. Setting numerical targets before I can mark a task complete. So I might label the HHs/LLs and trend changes on 15 charts for example
  3. Setting a timer to confirm that I am successful completing a task. For example, if I've been skipping step XYZ during my analysis, I might set a timer every 5 minutes to write down what I see in the mkt and to make a reference to XYZ.

On a related/unrelated note, I noticed there are a few musicians in the thread. I don't play any instruments but I do subscribe to a musician's blog that has a focus on Deliberate Practice. I read it and assess how I can reinterpret ideas into trading.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Last Updated on December 6, 2023

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts