NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Newbie seeks new Porsche via day trading. See what happens.

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Carrerain4 with 103 posts (42 thanks)
    2. looks_two Underexposed with 30 posts (43 thanks)
    3. looks_3 tturner86 with 21 posts (32 thanks)
    4. looks_4 deaddog with 19 posts (25 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one tigertrader with 8 thanks per post
    2. looks_two tturner86 with 1.5 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Underexposed with 1.4 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Carrerain4 with 0.4 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 39,516 views
    2. thumb_up 313 thanks given
    3. group 21 followers
    1. forum 263 posts
    2. attach_file 29 attachments

Search this Thread

Newbie seeks new Porsche via day trading. See what happens.

Carrerain4
Melbourne FL, USA

Thanks Given: 11
Thanks Received: 49

My trading is on hiatus for the time being. I've taken a new job which should pay better than anything I've done before but as of yet it hasn't paid me anything as I'm in the training phase. Thus, I'm in a cash burn situation and have to be ultimately conservative with my money at the present time.

I'll be back to trading AFTER I've established a good income from the new job and have managed to set aside 10K per account (minimum) for trading with a different broker.

I've put my remaining account balance into some of Vanguard's best performing mutuals for the time being.

Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader
Futures True Range Report
The Elite Circle
New Micros: Ultra 10-Year & Ultra T-Bond -- Live Now
Treasury Notes and Bonds
My NT8 Volume Profile Split by Asian/Euro/Open
NinjaTrader
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
61 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
39 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
26 thanks
The Program
18 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
18 thanks
Carrerain4
Melbourne FL, USA

Well, it's been about a year since my last visit here.

The job I tried flat out didn't work for me. I ain't no insurance salesman! AFLAC was the "job" but after five weeks on the road busting hump, I had ONE customer to show for it. Or about 50 bucks.

Forget that noise. I haven't lifted a finger to try that since about March, and I never will again.

Some people are good at selling insurance. I'm not, and in part because rather than actually get the training I was promised, I got excuses, delays, lip service, and NO training.

I can say some unkind things about some insurance salesmen, too. But I won't. It's implied.

So I've fallen back on something I'm pretty decent at: Finding undervalued surplus electronics and reselling them
for good profit margins. Usually this stuff is pretty specialized and pretty expensive. I've made better money doing this than in any regular job I've ever had, and worked far fewer hours to do it.

The recent events in the stock market have caused me to watch with great interest. With the DJIA 50 day moving average crossing the 200 day moving average, which many say signifies the start of a bull market, I'm just going to sit back and watch and see what happens.

I've been tempted to take a short position against the DJIA.

Itchymoku 
Philadelphia

Experience: None
Platform: corded black telephone
Trading: ticker tape
Thanks Given: 1,683
Thanks Received: 3,681

Carrerain4 View Post
Well, it's been about a year since my last visit here.

The job I tried flat out didn't work for me. I ain't no insurance salesman! AFLAC was the "job" but after five weeks on the road busting hump, I had ONE customer to show for it. Or about 50 bucks.

Forget that noise. I haven't lifted a finger to try that since about March, and I never will again.

Some people are good at selling insurance. I'm not, and in part because rather than actually get the training I was promised, I got excuses, delays, lip service, and NO training.

I can say some unkind things about some insurance salesmen, too. But I won't. It's implied.

So I've fallen back on something I'm pretty decent at: Finding undervalued surplus electronics and reselling them
for good profit margins. Usually this stuff is pretty specialized and pretty expensive. I've made better money doing this than in any regular job I've ever had, and worked far fewer hours to do it.

The recent events in the stock market have caused me to watch with great interest. With the DJIA 50 day moving average crossing the 200 day moving average, which many say signifies the start of a bull market, I'm just going to sit back and watch and see what happens.

I've been tempted to take a short position against the DJIA.

What surplus electronics are you talking about? give me an example. Where do you get them from and where do you sell them. Thank you, I appreciate the information, It seems like something I might be interested in too.

R.I.P. Joseph Bach (Itchymoku), 1987-2018.
Please visit this thread for more information.
Carrerain4
Melbourne FL, USA

This month, it's digital satellite receivers used in TV stations, not the consumer variety, and also, Inmarsat shipboard satellite telephone and data terminals, suitable for ships of any size.

I work with local companies that get surplus equipment and products from electronics manufacturers and service providers, and also with companies that are in the electronics recycling market.

Margins are 50 percent or more.

But...the high margin stuff requires product knowledge in order to maximize value. I test everything I sell. Including the marine satellite phone systems.

I also buy, refurbish, and resell Apple Mac computers as long as they're recent models, meaning, anything with Intel processors. Basically everything with an aluminum case rather than a plastic case.

I've done up to 12K in sales in one month. At 50 percent profit. But some months bring almost no money. It's highly variable but the average is pretty good and I've been able to do this on less than 20 hours a week. Sometimes WAY less.

Thanked by:

Last Updated on September 1, 2015

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts