NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Newbie seeks new Porsche via day trading. See what happens.

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Carrerain4 with 103 posts (42 thanks)
    2. looks_two Underexposed with 30 posts (43 thanks)
    3. looks_3 tturner86 with 21 posts (32 thanks)
    4. looks_4 deaddog with 19 posts (25 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one tigertrader with 8 thanks per post
    2. looks_two tturner86 with 1.5 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Underexposed with 1.4 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Carrerain4 with 0.4 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 39,472 views
    2. thumb_up 313 thanks given
    3. group 21 followers
    1. forum 263 posts
    2. attach_file 29 attachments

Search this Thread

Newbie seeks new Porsche via day trading. See what happens.

tturner86 
Portland, Oregon

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: F-16CM-40
Trading: GBU-39
Thanks Given: 10,459
Thanks Received: 12,695

Carrerain4 View Post
Oh, as for checking out other trading journals, I've been reading a few of them but it seems that most of them concern options and forex trading.

Although I understand the basic concept of options trading, the details of it absolutely have me mystified.
I don't yet understand anything beyond the basic concepts of calls and puts.

I've been learning about various options trading strategies (Straddles, strangles, and all other sorts of strangely named strategies) but actually having a clue as to how to make an options trade is something I just don't get.

I don't even know if I can, for example, place a call on SEAS at 22 dollars a share a month from now, figuring that it
could be going for more than that by that time. I don't understand how much flexibility the trader has to specify the
terms of what he's optioning.

If I understood it better, I might give some consideration to trading in options. But certainly not at this point!

And forex...that's a complete mystery to me. I don't understand how that works at all.

As a trader you should look into each, Futures, Forex, Stocks, and Options. A good trader may not trade all but should have a good understanding about how each work and how the are related.

Also as @Big Mike noted, when you look at others journals I believe it would be helpful for you to look at the metrics and other ways people are grading their trades. Try and keep a detailed journal about each trade, if you don't your journal will not have enough info for you to review and determine what and how you are trading.

The key is to make your journal work for you.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
My NT8 Volume Profile Split by Asian/Euro/Open
NinjaTrader
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader
The space time continuum and the dynamics of a financial …
Emini and Emicro Index
New Micros: Ultra 10-Year & Ultra T-Bond -- Live Now
Treasury Notes and Bonds

bobwest 
Western Florida
Site Moderator

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Sierra Chart
Trading: ES, YM
Frequency: Several times daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 57,334
Thanks Received: 26,267

Carrerain4 View Post
Oh, as for checking out other trading journals, I've been reading a few of them but it seems that most of them concern options and forex trading.

Odd that you would say that.... I read a whole lot of journals on futures.io (formerly BMT), and almost none of them are about either options of forex. Maybe that's just me.

Most of the journals/threads on futures.io (formerly BMT) are about futures trading. However, I would say that trading is trading, on the whole. As @Big Mike mentioned, if you can extract the psychological, risk management and decision-making aspects, you will get most of the value from other people's work. It's the process more than the content. The particular markets and techniques matter much less.

I will say that you would get a much broader range of inputs and information if you were to go for an Elite membership. That's your choice, of course. Just a recommendation.

Good luck, and I do mean that.

Bob.

Thanked by:

deaddog 
Prince George BC Canada
Legendary Market Wizard

Platform: National Bank Direct
Broker: NBD/BMO/Questrade
Trading: Stocks
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 183
Thanks Received: 3,962

Carrerain4 View Post
I guess I do understand picking your entry and exit points, to some extent at least.

One of the stocks that I've been keeping my eye on, in no small part because it gave me 10.6 percent one fine day recently, is WCPS.

Where does this trade? I can't find it.

"The days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days" RW Hubbard
Carrerain4
Melbourne FL, USA

Thanks Given: 11
Thanks Received: 49

Correction, that's WPCS. Not WCPS.

Typo...dyslexia...whatever...

deaddog 
Prince George BC Canada
Legendary Market Wizard

Carrerain4 View Post
Correction, that's WPCS. Not WCPS.

Typo...dyslexia...whatever...

Interesting chart. Look at a ten year chart. this puppy traded near $100 at one time. Lots of overhead resistance as investors wait to get out at break even.

The problem with penny stocks is that when they move you can make a good percentage but you can also lose a good percentage.

I can't help you with any indicators. I don't use them but I like your strategy of buying near the low of the range. It looks like the stock moves 10 cents a day on average.

Right now it's consolidating. Note the lower highs and the higher lows. My bet is it will continue upwards. Notice how the up days were on good volume and the down days not so much. It's a similar pattern to what happened May and June. it might repeat.

I don't usually play the penny stocks but maybe I'll take a look tomorrow. It'll be a lotto play. Risk a little to make a lot.

Maybe get underexposed to work his voodoo for you.

"The days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days" RW Hubbard
Carrerain4
Melbourne FL, USA

Yeah, it's interesting and looks to me like it's moving upwards overall. I don't expect to get it for 98 cents a share anytime soon. I think 1.05 is probably its current bottom range and I THINK it's good for between 5 and 8 percent gains within two days (more likely, same day) of any time it hits its bottom. So it's what I consider to be an ideal contender for
my trading style, such as it is, at this point in my development.

Its repeating behavior, low cost, high volatility, and high repeatable percentage gains mark it as just the sort of thing
that I'm looking for. Some gold stocks are similar but they don't get as high in percentage gains very often.

The only thing keeping me from having bought into it yesterday was the settled funds rule. If I am pretty sure that I'd want to sell a stock on the same day I buy it, then I can't use unsettled funds to do it as doing that would be freeriding
and result in my account being restricted to cash only. (But it IS a cash only account, so what's the real penalty to me
if I did that? Especially if I did it more than once?)

The next time it's around the low end of its range on a day I have settled funds to work with, it seems rather likely that I'll buy in.

deaddog 
Prince George BC Canada
Legendary Market Wizard

Why don't you have a margin account?

Carrerain4
Melbourne FL, USA

One account is a retirement account. No margin on retirement accounts.

The other, I simply have chosen not to use margin as of yet. I have not proven to myself that I am consistent enough
at making money that I am going to double (or more) my risks.

If I lost my OWN money, that's not really such a big problem. But if I borrowed money and lost THEIR money, too,
well, THAT would be a problem.

I'm not ready to take on that extra risk just yet.

Carrerain4
Melbourne FL, USA

So I decided to buy WPCS today, fully expecting that I can't sell it for another day due to the settled fund rule.

I put in an order for about 8000 dollar's worth and discovered this thing called a "partial execution" which feels kind of like having your head sawed partly off so maybe that's why it's called that.

I ended up with 175 shares at 1.05. That's 183.75 cost.

And it still cost me 7 bucks just to buy that measly 175 shares.

It'll cost me 7 bucks to sell them.

What are the chances I can just make back 14 bucks on this in the next couple of days?

It has to go to a value of 197.75 so I'll need 8 oercent just to break even.

I rewrote the order with a higher limit and "only" 4800 shares ordered and am waiting for it
to execute. It may not execute at all and that's OK with me. (Day order)
This, after speaking to my brokerage directly and getting an idea of what might actually be
available. Since the stock is very thinly traded today, shares availability is by no means
guaranteed for a larger order.

And that is the lesson I learned today!

deaddog 
Prince George BC Canada
Legendary Market Wizard

Carrerain4 View Post
One account is a retirement account. No margin on retirement accounts.

The other, I simply have chosen not to use margin as of yet. I have not proven to myself that I am consistent enough
at making money that I am going to double (or more) my risks.

If I lost my OWN money, that's not really such a big problem. But if I borrowed money and lost THEIR money, too,
well, THAT would be a problem.

I'm not ready to take on that extra risk just yet.

If you have a margin account you don't have to use margin. But you will be able to make a buy without waiting for settlement.
The extra risk is whether the trader can control himself.

Thanked by:

Last Updated on September 1, 2015

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts