NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Newbie seeks new Porsche via day trading. See what happens.

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Carrerain4 with 103 posts (42 thanks)
    2. looks_two Underexposed with 30 posts (43 thanks)
    3. looks_3 tturner86 with 21 posts (32 thanks)
    4. looks_4 deaddog with 19 posts (25 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one tigertrader with 8 thanks per post
    2. looks_two tturner86 with 1.5 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Underexposed with 1.4 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Carrerain4 with 0.4 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 39,472 views
    2. thumb_up 313 thanks given
    3. group 21 followers
    1. forum 263 posts
    2. attach_file 29 attachments

Search this Thread

Newbie seeks new Porsche via day trading. See what happens.

tturner86 
Portland, Oregon

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: F-16CM-40
Trading: GBU-39
Thanks Given: 10,459
Thanks Received: 12,695

Carrerain4 View Post
The actual numbers are only important to me. But this did manage to erase ALL the gains I've made since I started trading. I am literally back to square one.

Unfortunately, this is one thing that new traders do all the time. (I did it countless times before.) To give all of your profit back on one trade usually means two things: you are trading a size too large / taking too large a risk or you are failing to cut losers quick and holding positions on hopium that they will recover.

You have learned a valuable lesson trading is a game of what you keep. You can make all the profit in the world, but if you fail to keep it, it doesn't matter.

As a trader all you can ever really do is: Cut losers quick, manage your risk, and try to maximize your profits.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Deepmoney LLM
Elite Quantitative GenAI/LLM
Futures True Range Report
The Elite Circle
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader
NexusFi Journal Challenge - April 2024
Feedback and Announcements
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
61 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
39 thanks
Battlestations: Show us your trading desks!
26 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
26 thanks
The Program
18 thanks

deaddog 
Prince George BC Canada
Legendary Market Wizard

Experience: Advanced
Platform: National Bank Direct
Broker: NBD/BMO/Questrade
Trading: Stocks
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 183
Thanks Received: 3,962

Carrerain4 View Post

As for my current position in WPCS, I have made the choice to wait it out and see what happens. I believe the day will come when I can get out without taking a loss but don't know how long that may take. It might be tomorrow, it might be a year from now. But I do not wish to turn my current paper losses into real losses at this time. Granted, the value could slide more. It could slide to zero. I accept that risk and choose not to act at this time.

What caused you to change your mind?

"The days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days" RW Hubbard
 Underexposed 
Calgary Alberta/Canada

Carrerain4 View Post
I'm out, and it hurt, but it was a valuable lesson.

The actual numbers are only important to me. But this did manage to erase ALL the gains I've made since I started trading. I am literally back to square one.

I decided that I have to free up funds if I am to have any chance of getting into Alibaba's Friday IPO. By clearing out my positions today, I'll have settled funds available on Friday.

Ok... I am sorry for your loss but hopefully you learned a good lesson from it. Pump and Dump stocks are insidious. The pumpers want you to get caught up in the emotion of the situation...and go with your GUT. You cannot do that and be consistently successful. It is relatively easy to spot P&D's once they really get going, from a chart...the escalating unusual volume and then the share price rising far above the upper Bollinger band.

It is nice of course if you catch such a stock early in the game before it reveals itself and you can ride the wave getting out at the top...but to try to catch that wave at the top is usually fatal.

As far as Alibaba goes, your odds of getting in at the start will be small...You again are getting into something that has a lot of emotion at work. In this stock you run the risk of buying in only when the excitement dies and the early subscribers want to get out and take their profits. IPO's are sort of like a PUMP & Dump cousin to me...they are generating emotion to make their money fast.

IMHO you must learn to divorce yourself from emotion in your stock buys/sells.

Of course the situation is not exactly the same as Facebook which had a ridiculous evaluation and IPO... it took a year or so just for the stock to recover to its IPO price. Facebook had no observable revenues...it was all speculation. Alibaba does have substantial business in China and purports a desire to enter the North American market...I wonder about a backlash to such an idea by North American investors though.

Good luck in your endeavor...not my cup of tea though...too unpredictable...

Carrerain4
Melbourne FL, USA

Thanks Given: 11
Thanks Received: 49

What caused me to change my mind was several days of though and coming to the rational conclusion that I had put money into a stock that had NO reason to be doing as well as it had recently, and had turned downward consistently for a few days, and showed no rational reason to reverse that trend.

The time came to cut it free before it sank me even further. I realized I'd hitched my wagon to a turd.

A secondary consideration is that I wanted to free up what's left of my funds in order to be ABLE to participate in the
upcoming Alibaba IPO day mayhem, IF I choose to do so.

Or use them for any other purpose.

I have not made any picks on anything else today.

As for Alibaba's reception in America, I actually don't think that'll be a problem.

I take it that you have visited Alibaba's site and seen how they work? I see it as an innovative combination of the best
features of both amazon and ebay. And there is hardly anything you can think of that you can't find on alibaba.

I think that Amazon and other online retailers have much to fear from Alibaba. I see it as the up-and-coming equivalent
to Wal-Mart, both putting big dents in the bottom lines of the companies that compete in the same markets.

My belief is that it will be both a good opportunity for short term profit taking and for long term investment growth.
I expect it to bounce around a lot, at least at first, but soon establish a steady upward trend that will put a smile on the
face of any long term investor.

Thanked by:

deaddog 
Prince George BC Canada
Legendary Market Wizard

Experience: Advanced
Platform: National Bank Direct
Broker: NBD/BMO/Questrade
Trading: Stocks
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 183
Thanks Received: 3,962

I think you have to make up your mind whether you are a trader or an investor.

At least earmark your different accounts for either trading or investing. Short term trading has very little to do with fundamentals. Traders base their decisions on what price is doing in the near term.

Investors should base their decisions on the perceived future value of the company. Knowing the fundamentals of a company an investor can use technical analysis to determine buy and sell levels.

Either way you should have a plan going into your trades as to what you expect to accomplish. What change in price or fundamentals will trigger an exit.

Your journal will help. Make your plan public as to what has to happen for you to enter and exit your trades. You will be surprised at how much pressure you put on yourself to execute your trades according to your plan once you make it public. It is a lot easier to justify changing your plan to yourself than to justify it to an anonymous group on a trading forum.

"The days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days" RW Hubbard
Thanked by:
 Itchymoku 
Philadelphia

Experience: None
Platform: corded black telephone
Trading: ticker tape
Thanks Given: 1,683
Thanks Received: 3,681

How much time from now do you think it'll take you to earn enough money to buy your porsche? I'm not referring to how much it'll take for you to earn to buy a porsche and live your lifestyle, but just simply the porsche itself.

Thanks,
Itchy

R.I.P. Joseph Bach (Itchymoku), 1987-2018.
Please visit this thread for more information.
Paige
Gainesville, Florida, United S

Thanks Given: 30
Thanks Received: 104

I'm startled that no one has made a derogatory comment about guys who drive Porsche's --- yet

Peace,
Paige

Itchymoku 
Philadelphia

Paige View Post
I'm startled that no one has made a derogatory comment about guys who drive Porsche's --- yet

Peace,
Paige

At least he didn't pick an inferior corvette as his dream car.

Louis C K recalls a conversation with Jerry Seinfeld

Underexposed 
Calgary Alberta/Canada

Why would you make such inconsiderate comments in this journal @Itchymoku and @Paige???

This guy is recovering from making a really bad trade that wiped out his previous 2 months of earnings...he fell for a Pump and Dump even though he was warned about it....He may be headed for a similar experience in an Alibaba IPO, but that remains to be seen.

And you sideswipe his journal with these comments....you are not helping this newbie at all.

Itchymoku 
Philadelphia

Underexposed View Post
Why would you make such inconsiderate comments in this journal @Itchymoku and @Paige???

This guy is recovering from making a really bad trade that wiped out his previous 2 months of earnings...he fell for a Pump and Dump even though he was warned about it....He may be headed for a similar experience in an Alibaba IPO, but that remains to be seen.

And you sideswipe his journal with these comments....you are not helping this newbie at all.

Oh I didn't mean any sideswiping, I actually haven't really been reading the journal lately as I've been trying to catch up to all the threads I'm subscribed to. Last post I read was #213 and thought he was doing well. I feel bad now.

The title of the journal caught my eye and I felt the urge to pop in and make a quick little reply.

I apologize. I was actually rooting for this guy. I have a really bad habit of not keeping up with journals that have a plethora of posts.

Carrerain4, despite what the market throws at you I think you're a bright guy and to just keep at it. I hope you make a quick recovery.

Last Updated on September 1, 2015

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts