NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Newbie seeks new Porsche via day trading. See what happens.

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Carrerain4 with 103 posts (42 thanks)
    2. looks_two Underexposed with 30 posts (43 thanks)
    3. looks_3 tturner86 with 21 posts (32 thanks)
    4. looks_4 deaddog with 19 posts (25 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one tigertrader with 8 thanks per post
    2. looks_two tturner86 with 1.5 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Underexposed with 1.4 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Carrerain4 with 0.4 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 39,516 views
    2. thumb_up 313 thanks given
    3. group 21 followers
    1. forum 263 posts
    2. attach_file 29 attachments

Search this Thread

Newbie seeks new Porsche via day trading. See what happens.

deaddog 
Prince George BC Canada
Legendary Market Wizard

Experience: Advanced
Platform: National Bank Direct
Broker: NBD/BMO/Questrade
Trading: Stocks
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 183
Thanks Received: 3,962

Carrerain4 View Post
Simply because it meets my desires for gain percentages. I'm not greedy and will be happy to achieve 2 percent after fees and commissions, any time. At 4.08 I'll get my 2 percent plus, and if it goes up another 2 cents, then I'm around 3.5 percent before fees. I consider this to b a realistic enough goal for the short term and if I get it, I'll be happy to take it.

I'm not trying for multiple percentages in stocks that probably don't have that gain potential in them. But looking at recent daily performance for this stock, I can see it. Particularly with the recent good news that was released about IAG.

Plus, it's a gold stock. I expect gold prices to rise, if not today, then soon.

And I have personal knowledge of the company. I've done subcontractor work for them. But they've never given
me any information that might be construed to be insider information even by the broadest definition.

Does your plan have an exit strategy if the price falls?

"The days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days" RW Hubbard

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
My NT8 Volume Profile Split by Asian/Euro/Open
NinjaTrader
Build trailing stop for micro index(s)
Psychology and Money Management
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader
Are there any eval firms that allow you to sink to your …
Traders Hideout

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
59 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
37 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
23 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
22 thanks
The Program
19 thanks
Carrerain4
Melbourne FL, USA

Thanks Given: 11
Thanks Received: 49

Yes, I do. Stop loss at -1 percent.

Limitless100
New York, New York

Thanks Given: 163
Thanks Received: 61

Carrerain4 View Post
Simply because it meets my desires for gain percentages. I'm not greedy and will be happy to achieve 2 percent after fees and commissions, any time. At 4.08 I'll get my 2 percent plus, and if it goes up another 2 cents, then I'm around 3.5 percent before fees. I consider this to b a realistic enough goal for the short term and if I get it, I'll be happy to take it.

I'm not trying for multiple percentages in stocks that probably don't have that gain potential in them. But looking at recent daily performance for this stock, I can see it. Particularly with the recent good news that was released about IAG.

Plus, it's a gold stock. I expect gold prices to rise, if not today, then soon.

And I have personal knowledge of the company. I've done subcontractor work for them. But they've never given
me any information that might be construed to be insider information even by the broadest definition.

In my personal opinion, along with the collective opinion of many professionals I have studied, I don't feel that setting exit strategies by profit level is the best way to go about things. You say that your exit strategy is based off of a profit level of X%. The market doesn't care about how much YOU are making in a trade. Similar to your stop loss, set at a loss of 1%. Again, the market doesn't care when you lost X%. Instead of setting targets like this, maybe you could find a way to set targets/stops based off of your original hypothesis on the stock. For ex. I am buying at 3.10 because I have determined that blah blah blah will bring the price to 3.25 within the next months because of blah blah, also, my stop price will be set at 3.02 because at that point, I accept that I am simply wrong in my original idea.

Carrerain4 View Post

Thanked by:
Carrerain4
Melbourne FL, USA

I'm kind of doing just that. For IAG, it just works out that 1 percent is about all I would want to give up in the hopes of a bounce. It's in the 4 dollars per share range so 1 percent is only about 4 cents a share.

My stop loss is proportionately larger with SEAS, which is currently around 19 a share. Since I fully expect it to make a good and profitable recovery in the reasonably near future, I'm actually willing to accept a larger drop in value (bottoming) without jumping out of it. I have more confidence in SEAS giving me 10 percent than I do in IAG giving me 10 percent.

So I guess you could say that my stop loss is more generous if I have greater expectations out of the stock.

I have no idea how wise that decision is as of yet.

Remember, I'm still quite new to this so my strategies and decisions are likely to be subject to many upcoming
changes as I find what works for me and what works against me.

I'm in IAG overnight, at least. It will be interesting to see how it goes tomorrow. I have observed that it generally
moves a fair amount between one day and the next.

This is a good time for me to ask a question, one that any person reading may answer if he chooses:

Are the bulk of your trades intended to be executed within a single day, or on a time scale of days, weeks,
or longer?

I had originally planned "day trades only" but that strategy is already being revised. I've been in SEAS for several
days and may be in it for weeks or months to come yet.

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Thanks Given: 33,174
Thanks Received: 101,539

Carrerain4 View Post

Why 1 percent? An arbitrary figure like that will yield arbitrary results, much like flipping a coin to enter a trade - there is no edge.

You need a very clear reason for entering the trade at the price you did, you need a clear exit and a clear stop, both determined prior to the entry and calculated based on price action -- not a static figure like '1%' or '10 ticks' etc.

Mike

We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Carrerain4
Melbourne FL, USA

I don't actually have a set entry point. I don't think I can COMMAND a stock to drop ten points so that I can buy into it.

My entry point consists of me looking at current prices, recent price history, and deciding for myself if I think that the
stock will move upwards by a sufficient amount, and quickly enough, to be worth my effort.

This does not mean that I am always successful in my judgements.

I'm not sure I really understand the comment about picking your entry point. All I understand there is the simple
principle of buying low and selling high.

There are stocks that I would believe will drop to a lower value and create a good point of entry, but I can't really
name any that I've found yet that are so consistent in their behavior that I'd bother to mention them by name.

deaddog 
Prince George BC Canada
Legendary Market Wizard

Platform: National Bank Direct
Broker: NBD/BMO/Questrade
Trading: Stocks
Thanks Given: 183
Thanks Received: 3,962

Carrerain4 View Post

This is a good time for me to ask a question, one that any person reading may answer if he chooses:

Are the bulk of your trades intended to be executed within a single day, or on a time scale of days, weeks,
or longer?

I had originally planned "day trades only" but that strategy is already being revised. I've been in SEAS for several
days and may be in it for weeks or months to come yet.

The majority of my trades are swing trades based on price action on a daily chart.

I read somewhere that swing trading was too slow for the day traders and too fast for the institutions.

If I have a day trade it’s because I guessed wrong about the direction the market would move and my stop got hit.

I trade off the daily charts because I have all evening to set up my trades. I place orders, usually stop limit orders with an attached bracket order for my exits, before the market opens. I then have the rest of the day to do what ever I want.

"The days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days" RW Hubbard
Carrerain4
Melbourne FL, USA

Funny story: My brokerage made an "error" when setting up one of my accounts. It was to fix a problem I had in
configuring that account when I changed it over to a brokerage account.

I ended up with two money market accounts and my money in the wrong one. When they went to fix it,
rather than transfer 7747 dollars into the correct account, somebody fat-fingered their way into making a
SHORT SELL in a mutual fund in the amount of 7747 shares!

I can't short sell off this account. Not approved for margin.

So this morning my indicated balance is about -236,000 dollars!

It's being corrected.

I hope.

tturner86 
Portland, Oregon

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: F-16CM-40
Trading: GBU-39
Thanks Given: 10,459
Thanks Received: 12,695

What about your positions that you had open?

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Carrerain4
Melbourne FL, USA

They're still open. For however long it takes to achieve my profit goals, unless they trigger my stop losses first.

Last Updated on September 1, 2015

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts