NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

COMMON SENSE

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one mfbreakout with 980 posts (2,733 thanks)
    2. looks_two sandptrader with 64 posts (128 thanks)
    3. looks_3 alejo with 36 posts (38 thanks)
    4. looks_4 madLyfe with 24 posts (25 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Surly with 3.4 thanks per post
    2. looks_two mfbreakout with 2.8 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 jthom with 2.6 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 sandptrader with 2 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 159,885 views
    2. thumb_up 3,304 thanks given
    3. group 64 followers
    1. forum 1,262 posts
    2. attach_file 811 attachments

Closed Thread

Search this Thread

COMMON SENSE

mfbreakout 
BOSTON, MA
Market Wizard

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Tradestation, TOS
Trading: ES, CL, GC
Thanks Given: 3,478
Thanks Received: 15,818

sandptrader View Post
I like Trading this market....just wanted to post a chart of the Hourly that i have been keeping up with....
one of my favorites to trade now.

Welcome to the jungle. I am glad you are looking at ZS, CC etc. One needs to hunt whatever is moving in the jungle.

My posts are not meant to give financial advice neither do they imply that my method is special. "THIS IS WHAT I COULD BE IF I HAD A TOTALLY CARE FREE STATE OF MIND DURING TRADING" Mark Douglas.
Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread
Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
Build trailing stop for micro index(s)
Psychology and Money Management
Online prop firm The Funded Trader (TFT) going under?
Traders Hideout
New Micros: Ultra 10-Year & Ultra T-Bond -- Live Now
Treasury Notes and Bonds
Deepmoney LLM
Elite Quantitative GenAI/LLM

sandptrader 
Valdosta, GA. U.S.A

Platform: Sierra , TOS
Trading: 6E, ES, CL, GC
Thanks Given: 1,881
Thanks Received: 472

mfbreakout View Post
Welcome to the jungle. I am glad you are looking at ZS, CC etc. One needs to hunt whatever is moving in the jungle.

Started using TOS for watching more markets/Futures....it is Great platform.....16 markets now....thinking of trying Position Trades on some in the near future with small size...i use to Position trade like you are doing while watching Daily & 4H.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TOS-WATCHLIST.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	312.9 KB
ID:	166034  
Thanked by:
 ness1g 
boston ma

Experience: Beginner
Platform: ninja
Trading: futures, stocks
Thanks Given: 384
Thanks Received: 158

I'll try to share my trades when I find time.
Maybe it will benefit others, learn in the process and improve my own.
I trade 3 set ups. targets 20 to 50 tics
I only trade breakouts, reversals or pullbacks in a trending market.
I'm trying very hard to wait for best set ups only ( need a lot of help in this department)
I find that to be the hardest part in trading being tempted all day to jump in, where if I just wait and take my set ups the success rate has been over 85%
my stops are 7 to 15 tics max depends on set up, I'll take the loss and renter the trade but I'm not built to endure 50 tics .
Every person is different but what worked for me was to stay out of trades the longest time possible versus always jumping in and endure the ups and downs of the market.
my goal is to preserve capital the longest time possible while trying to be profitable.
any feedback is always appreciated.
Thanks

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.PNG
Views:	233
Size:	367.5 KB
ID:	166036   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.PNG
Views:	224
Size:	370.3 KB
ID:	166037   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.PNG
Views:	209
Size:	371.7 KB
ID:	166038  

mfbreakout 
BOSTON, MA
Market Wizard

ness1g View Post
I'll try to share my trades when I find time.
Maybe it will benefit others, learn in the process and improve my own.
I trade 3 set ups. targets 20 to 50 tics
I only trade breakouts, reversals or pullbacks in a trending market.
I'm trying very hard to wait for best set ups only ( need a lot of help in this department)
I find that to be the hardest part in trading being tempted all day to jump in, where if I just wait and take my set ups the success rate has been over 85%
my stops are 7 to 15 tics max depends on set up, I'll take the loss and renter the trade but I'm not built to endure 50 tics .
Every person is different but what worked for me was to stay out of trades the longest time possible versus always jumping in and endure the ups and downs of the market.
my goal is to preserve capital the longest time possible while trying to be profitable.
any feedback is always appreciated.
Thanks

Hi Ness1g,

" I'm trying very hard to wait for best set ups only ( need a lot of help in this department)
I find that to be the hardest part in trading being tempted all day to jump in, where if I just wait and take my set ups the success rate has been over 85%"

1) If a trader is only trading 1 or 2 instruements, it's hard to be patient and wait for best set ups. I traded CL for four years exclusively thinking that i need to focus 100% on CL otherwise i will miss my set up. I will be sitting patiently for hours, my set up is not linning up but i see CL moving up or down 50 ticks here and 30 ticks there. I will forget about my 3-4 core set ups and go on a hunt to find as to how can i grab these ticks which are dancing around with me being on the side line or come up with a method to trade set ups which are not part of my core set ups. This will result in wasted energy, focus, frustration - you name it.

As you know now i am trading 4-6 markets every day. It's easier to find set ups when a trader has more options. My recommendation will be to expand your trading universe and do portfolio management.

2) I will not focus on 85% win rate. My rate is around 45% and every trader i know who has been at this game for a while is in that ball park. My biggest challenge at the present time is having a right position size in winning trades vs loosing trades. I make every effort that position size is in loosing trades is small vs position size in winning trades. This way i can have 45% win rate and still come out ahead.

3) Lastly and most imprtantly keep talking to like minded traders.Everyone needs a team of supporitve network to keep balance and remain in top condition. Tom Brady- the elite quarterback- has a team of 7 from conditioning coach to psychologist and everyone in between to lean on. We need to have a team also like any other professional.

Good trading.

My posts are not meant to give financial advice neither do they imply that my method is special. "THIS IS WHAT I COULD BE IF I HAD A TOTALLY CARE FREE STATE OF MIND DURING TRADING" Mark Douglas.

pvlee 
Hertfordshire England

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NT
Trading: DAX
Thanks Given: 96
Thanks Received: 165

mfbreakout View Post
Hi Ness1g,

" I'm trying very hard to wait for best set ups only ( need a lot of help in this department)
I find that to be the hardest part in trading being tempted all day to jump in, where if I just wait and take my set ups the success rate has been over 85%"

1) If a trader is only trading 1 or 2 instruements, it's hard to be patient and wait for best set ups. I traded CL for four years exclusively thinking that i need to focus 100% on CL otherwise i will miss my set up. I will be sitting patiently for hours, my set up is not linning up but i see CL moving up or down 50 ticks here and 30 ticks there. I will forget about my 3-4 core set ups and go on a hunt to find as to how can i grab these ticks which are dancing around with me being on the side line or come up with a method to trade set ups which are not part of my core set ups. This will result in wasted energy, focus, frustration - you name it.

As you know now i am trading 4-6 markets every day. It's easier to find set ups when a trader has more options. My recommendation will be to expand your trading universe.

2) I will not focus on 85% win rate. My rate is around 45% and every trader i know who has been at this game for a while is in that ball park. My biggest challenge at the present time is having a right position size in winning trades vs loosing trades. I make every effort that position size is in loosing trades is small vs position size in winning trades. This way i can have 45% win rate and still come out ahead.

3) Lastly and most imprtantly keep talking to like minded traders.Everyone needs a team of supporitve network to keep balance and remain in top condition. Tom Brady- the elite quarterback- has a team of 7 from conditioning coach to psychologist and everyone in between to lean on. We need to have a team also like any other professional.

Good trading.

Between 40% and 60% seems to be good enough and is what most successful traders achieve. But take a look at this guy... 90%+ Jaguar Trading Club

Thanked by:

mfbreakout 
BOSTON, MA
Market Wizard

pvlee View Post
Between 40% and 60% seems to be good enough and is what most successful traders achieve. But take a look at this guy... 90%+ Jaguar Trading Club

Thanks for sharing. If you follow this trader and it appeals to you it's all good. I do not look at anyone with 90%+ returns. Not because no one can make 90%+ returns it's because i know their approach and method to trading is different than mine. I do know of 2 traders who get returns in this kind of range ( that's what they told me) and i tried to trade along side them but it was not for me.

Thanked by:

pvlee 
Hertfordshire England

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NT
Trading: DAX
Thanks Given: 96
Thanks Received: 165

Some of his members have told me his numbers are very suspect. Having been a guest in his trading room I would say his strike rate is closer to 40%

Thanked by:
 ness1g 
boston ma

Mfbreakout.
Thank you for your continuous support and help, I was hesitant of posting in your thread, I didn't wanna impose unless you think my post my help others and you didn't mind it.
You were right, I tried to focus on CL and TF thinking I needed to get better in fewer instruments before expanding.
You are absolutely right more instruments means more set up but my issue is space. with my set up I need a full monitor for each instrument. The disadvantage with ninja, it doesn't have bottom tabs to switch workspaces so I would need 10 monitors to do the job right. But I'm trying to figure a way out.
The bottom line I'll expand instruments but I like to have a feel for each first.
Thanks

Thanked by:

bobwest 
Western Florida
Site Moderator

Platform: Sierra Chart
Trading: ES, YM
Frequency: Several times daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 57,343
Thanks Received: 26,267

ness1g View Post
Mfbreakout.
Thank you for your continuous support and help, I was hesitant of posting in your thread, I didn't wanna impose unless you think my post my help others and you didn't mind it.
You were right, I tried to focus on CL and TF thinking I needed to get better in fewer instruments before expanding.
You are absolutely right more instruments means more set up but my issue is space. with my set up I need a full monitor for each instrument. The disadvantage with ninja, it doesn't have bottom tabs to switch workspaces so I would need 10 monitors to do the job right. But I'm trying to figure a way out.
The bottom line I'll expand instruments but I like to have a feel for each first.
Thanks

You probably are aware of this, but in case you aren't, you can have several workspaces open in Ninja at once, and switch between them in the File > Workspaces tab of the Control Center.

It's a little more cumbersome than, for instance, TradeStation, with its lower tabs, but not that much. The switch happens pretty fast, too.

Just in case you hadn't tried that....

Bob.

Thanked by:
 ness1g 
boston ma

I'm aware of workspaces but when switching in between the loading time takes too long.
It's ok I'll figure something out.
I really appreciate your help.
next time I should private message you since it's off topic of this thread.

Thanks,

Thanked by:

Closed Thread

Last Updated on November 27, 2014

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts