NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

COMMON SENSE

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one mfbreakout with 980 posts (2,733 thanks)
    2. looks_two sandptrader with 64 posts (128 thanks)
    3. looks_3 alejo with 36 posts (38 thanks)
    4. looks_4 madLyfe with 24 posts (25 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Surly with 3.4 thanks per post
    2. looks_two mfbreakout with 2.8 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 jthom with 2.6 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 sandptrader with 2 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 159,765 views
    2. thumb_up 3,304 thanks given
    3. group 64 followers
    1. forum 1,262 posts
    2. attach_file 811 attachments

Closed Thread

Search this Thread

COMMON SENSE

mfbreakout 
BOSTON, MA
Market Wizard

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Tradestation, TOS
Trading: ES, CL, GC
Thanks Given: 3,478
Thanks Received: 15,818

How bigger time frame traders take away all the goodies in ONE day. They seem to show up when macro trend underway gets out of line and they are happy to put CL back within the trend.

My posts are not meant to give financial advice neither do they imply that my method is special. "THIS IS WHAT I COULD BE IF I HAD A TOTALLY CARE FREE STATE OF MIND DURING TRADING" Mark Douglas.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-09-30_1529_BOOM.png
Views:	175
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	159138  
Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread
Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader
Online prop firm The Funded Trader (TFT) going under?
Traders Hideout
Deepmoney LLM
Elite Quantitative GenAI/LLM
My NT8 Volume Profile Split by Asian/Euro/Open
NinjaTrader

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
60 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
37 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
24 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
22 thanks
The Program
19 thanks

mfbreakout 
BOSTON, MA
Market Wizard

ONLY shorts in TF all day. On every bounce. TF have been weakest of major idicies and shorts have pretty good odds of having an upper hand on most days.

Testing a new set up in TF. Set up is to hold shorts into Globex when close is so weak. Cover most 1096 area and stop loss on rest 1102.

My posts are not meant to give financial advice neither do they imply that my method is special. "THIS IS WHAT I COULD BE IF I HAD A TOTALLY CARE FREE STATE OF MIND DURING TRADING" Mark Douglas.
Thanked by:
 cmmichaels 
London England

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Metatrader
Trading: Spot $
Thanks Given: 1,081
Thanks Received: 149

This is a phenomenal thread thanks again for everything you do for the community MFB.

Can I ask if you don't mind, what do you use to define your trend? Would it be 2 yellow and one pink EMA or something different?

I'm just curious as you've mentioned how it can pull back 120 ticks but the trend is still down etc, maybe its just HH and HL on a longer term.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal
Thanked by:

Bsinks 
Wichita Falls TX/United States

Platform: NinjaTrader
Trading: Soybeans, Crude, Natural Gas
Thanks Given: 37
Thanks Received: 65

May not be my place to answer.......But MFB will just simply look at a longer time frame ( daily and weekly) to get the overall trend of a market.

This is kinda of test for myself.

cmmichaels 
London England

Platform: Metatrader
Trading: Spot $
Thanks Given: 1,081
Thanks Received: 149

Bsinks View Post
May not be my place to answer.......But MFB will just simply look at a longer time frame ( daily and weekly) to get the overall trend of a market.

This is kinda of test for myself.

Thanks for the reply I thought it may be that... I know its not some special sauce just curious.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal
Thanked by:

mfbreakout 
BOSTON, MA
Market Wizard

cmmichaels View Post
This is a phenomenal thread thanks again for everything you do for the community MFB.

Can I ask if you don't mind, what do you use to define your trend? Would it be 2 yellow and one pink EMA or something different?

I'm just curious as you've mentioned how it can pull back 120 ticks but the trend is still down etc, maybe its just HH and HL on a longer term.

It's helpful to first look at big picture with weekly and daily chart. No lines on it. Just chart. I was using 21 EMA for some time on smaller time frame like 5 and 15 minutes to get some sense on a shorter time frame, Now, i am testing 2 EMA's .Both 30 EMA's. One shows high of 30 ema and the other shows low of 30 EMA. Damon Pavlatos did a webinar at futures.io (formerly BMT) couple of weeks ago. He uses them, so i am testing them.

However, any tool like MA, MACD etc comes after the context. Context first everything latter to just feel good or feel in control. Attached 2 charts, shows that a trader should be able to trade and know just by looking at them as to what is the trend. One does not need any tools to trade this chart. Tools just help with execution little bit better. Problem is that when a trader looks at weekly, daily chart for trend and then uses tools on a smaller time frame for execution- there is a conflict. ONLY way i know to tackle this is to keep Average True Range of an instruement in mind. If ATR for PL is 20 points and it's already down 20 points on the day, i am not shorting it. I have to wait for a bounce. How about longs? There are none. I have moved away from trading both sides intra day. For example, in this example of Platnium, if i try long, it will be for a SCALP. Since, i am trading 4-6 instruements every day, i do not have much time left for scalps. When i was just trading CL all day for 4 years, i used to do that. That was not good. I wish i was trading at least 2-3 instruements right from the start. There were more opportunities in PL over last 3 months than any other instruement but people talk about trading ES for 2 full points all day with lines on the chart that make it look like that they are solving a solution for WORLD PEACE.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2014-10-01_0646__weekly.png
Views:	193
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	159206   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-10-01_0654_daily.png
Views:	159
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	159207  

mfbreakout 
BOSTON, MA
Market Wizard

CC- weekly bar has not closed yet but i am being cautious.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2014-10-01_0734_cc.png
Views:	132
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	159209  
Thanked by:

mfbreakout 
BOSTON, MA
Market Wizard

Secret Sauce and it's free. Enjoy, Relax and let the trade work out.

mfbreakout 
BOSTON, MA
Market Wizard

Everyone can see why CL stopped around 91 area. My trading set ups do not call for longs and hold during Globex.
What's the next thing a trader can do? For me, ONLY question is where can i short? I am short 91.70, 91 area. I am not couting that CL will just stop at 91. I am trading probabilities and ranges. If massive short squueze or buying shows up before DOE report, i will step aside and wait for DOE report. If price moves up without conviction, will add to shorts.

We have DOE report today. CL will trade in a tight rnage till then. After 10.30, we will know if 90.80 area is low for this week and what will be high.

Thanked by:

mfbreakout 
BOSTON, MA
Market Wizard

GOLD.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2014-10-01_0922_10_year_yield.png
Views:	137
Size:	229.4 KB
ID:	159235  

Closed Thread

Last Updated on November 27, 2014

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts