NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

COMMON SENSE

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one mfbreakout with 980 posts (2,733 thanks)
    2. looks_two sandptrader with 64 posts (128 thanks)
    3. looks_3 alejo with 36 posts (38 thanks)
    4. looks_4 madLyfe with 24 posts (25 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Surly with 3.4 thanks per post
    2. looks_two mfbreakout with 2.8 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 jthom with 2.6 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 sandptrader with 2 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 160,750 views
    2. thumb_up 3,304 thanks given
    3. group 64 followers
    1. forum 1,262 posts
    2. attach_file 811 attachments

Closed Thread

Search this Thread

COMMON SENSE

mfbreakout 
BOSTON, MA
Market Wizard

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Tradestation, TOS
Trading: ES, CL, GC
Thanks Given: 3,478
Thanks Received: 15,818

It's good to hear what experienced traders like Steve Grasso, Guy Adami, Arthur Cash, Brian Kelley etc. One does not have to agree/disagree with them but i find their collective experience filter very helpful.

Just imagine we were not in internet age and could not get a job on NYSE, COBE trading floor. At least i will pay an ARM and a LEG to hear what these guys or guys like him are thinking. Just beacuse we have all this info. for free , it amazes me how some traders take it for granted and do not see value of resources like such. Seems like same attitude at futures.io (formerly BMT) and other resources like futures.io (formerly BMT).

I wish Mark Fisher come more often on TV but will take whatever i get from traders like him.

My posts are not meant to give financial advice neither do they imply that my method is special. "THIS IS WHAT I COULD BE IF I HAD A TOTALLY CARE FREE STATE OF MIND DURING TRADING" Mark Douglas.
Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread
Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
How to apply profiles
Traders Hideout
REcommedations for programming help
Sierra Chart
NexusFi Journal Challenge - May 2024
Feedback and Announcements
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Spoo-nalysis ES e-mini futures S&P 500
41 thanks
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
30 thanks
Tao te Trade: way of the WLD
24 thanks
Bigger Wins or Fewer Losses?
23 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
21 thanks

mfbreakout 
BOSTON, MA
Market Wizard

Analysis Paralysis all over the map by traders of all sorts. More analysis , more trades, less hold time and less potential gains. In general more lines on a traders chart, more tools at his/her disposal, more scared typically a trader is with imagining /seeing things which at the end of the day sure look like that a trader was day dreaming without even knowing it. I have used every kind of gadget out there and day dreamed all day long and still do- not as much as i used to.

I had 5 trades on in different instruements so that i do not get just focused on watching price going up and down. Lot of room for improvement but the whole week has been a good one. I was planning to go on vacation last Friday but my friend got asked to postpone his vacation for work related issue.

I should call his boss and THANK him.

My posts are not meant to give financial advice neither do they imply that my method is special. "THIS IS WHAT I COULD BE IF I HAD A TOTALLY CARE FREE STATE OF MIND DURING TRADING" Mark Douglas.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-10-10_1558_day_to_remember.png
Views:	156
Size:	162.5 KB
ID:	161021  

mfbreakout 
BOSTON, MA
Market Wizard

Risk Management RULE # 1.

1) Trade with the trend - wide enough stop loss to avoid randomness.

2) Do not trade counter trend but if do- tight stop loss.

Attached chart shows my short in ZS since yesterday with appropriate stop loss handled a news event properly and gave me enough time to figure out what the hell is going on. In my experience following are some of the key reasons for traders failures.

1) can not figure out a trend.

2) Improper use of stop loss.

3) Not properly funded.

4) Over trading and to top it off trading with leverage.

and many others we all are familiar with. I have talked with many traders over last couple of years and in my estimation they are and can be good traders except they do not have any staying power. Everyone should keep a full time job and then trade small and without FEAR. Once a trader have enough trading capital and can trade without FEAR, full time trading is a very good choice. I just do not understand fascination people have about being full time traders. Then we have another kind- the ones who are close to retirement or are retired but want to day trade. Why? because they are not happy with returns they are getting from mutual funds etc. It's just crazy out there and i am surprised ( to put it mildly) when i talk with other traders and hear their stories.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2014-10-10_1250_Going_on.png
Views:	168
Size:	121.9 KB
ID:	161024  

mfbreakout 
BOSTON, MA
Market Wizard

mfbreakout View Post
Risk Management RULE # 1.

1) Trade with the trend - wide enough stop loss to avoid randomness.

2) Do not trade counter trend but if do- tight stop loss.

Attached chart shows my short in ZS since yesterday with appropriate stop loss handled a news event properly and gave me enough time to figure out what the hell is going on. In my experience following are some of the key reasons for traders failures.

1) can not figure out a trend.

2) Improper use of stop loss.

3) Not properly funded.

4) Over trading and to top it off trading with leverage.

and many others we all are familair with. I have talked with many traders over last couple of years and in my estimation they are and can be good traders except they do not have any staying power. Everyone should keep a full time job and then trade small and without FEAR. I just do not understand fascination people have about being full time traders. Then we have another kind- the ones who are close to retirement or are retired but want to day trade. Why? because they are not happy with returns they are getting from mutual funds etc. It's just crazy out there and i am surprised ( to put it mildly) when i talk with other traders and hear their stories.

NOTE: Sorry for sour tone but i just talked with someone who failed combine for 5th time. I told him i will never pass combine. That program has restrictions too tight. He keeps blaming himself and circle continues.

mfbreakout 
BOSTON, MA
Market Wizard

As usual everyone is thinking about what will market do on Monday, next week etc. If bull is still alive or close to getting slaughtered. Internet has given us access to wonderful resources, online forums, twitter etc. to get a sense as to what's out there.

We just have to make sure we do not end up at the deep end of the pool with analysis/paralysis. Traders who are flexible, trade collective judgement of the market vs day dream are taking advantage of intra day moves rather than worrying about why this happened and did not happened. Mutual fund houses, Money managers etc. with unlimited resources comapred to retail traders are not having good year for most assets so far. Some of the so called best research on street is basically available for free ( i have small accounts at multiple borkerage house JPM, MS, BAC etc) and for day trading where attached chart changes it's direction from one day to the next- they are USELESS.

If there is a service out there which will tell me a day in advance what this chart will look like once trading gets going- i will pay attention. Otherwise as Mark Fisher says " NEXT".

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2014-10-11_1318_stcok_mapper.png
Views:	171
Size:	408.8 KB
ID:	161115  

mfbreakout 
BOSTON, MA
Market Wizard

shorting into bounce.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2014-10-12_2250_worry.png
Views:	144
Size:	104.4 KB
ID:	161291  
Thanked by:

mfbreakout 
BOSTON, MA
Market Wizard

CL keeps giving if one is trading with the trend. Lot of traders did not wanted to short CL at 85.80 to 86.30 area because all their indicators were pointing up move. They were more focused as to how could they have gone long at 84.90 area to capture 30-40 ticks to 86.30 area. Going long at new lows area made sense but not at intra day highs.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2014-10-12_2226_bounces.png
Views:	158
Size:	144.6 KB
ID:	161292  
Thanked by:

mfbreakout 
BOSTON, MA
Market Wizard

Bounces.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2014-10-12_2325_reason.png
Views:	152
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	161295  
Thanked by:

mfbreakout 
BOSTON, MA
Market Wizard

Rotational day. Financials Green, technology Red- a mixed bag. With Financials being +ve, down side is capped for the day.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2014-10-13_1056_financials.png
Views:	140
Size:	530.1 KB
ID:	161340  
Thanked by:

mfbreakout 
BOSTON, MA
Market Wizard

Been stalking Orange juice for some time.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2014-10-13_1124_oj.png
Views:	160
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	161346  
Thanked by:

Closed Thread

Last Updated on November 27, 2014

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts