NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

TST Combine Journal for Bsinks

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Bsinks with 14 posts (12 thanks)
    2. looks_two Daytrader999 with 5 posts (4 thanks)
    3. looks_3 bobwest with 4 posts (2 thanks)
    4. looks_4 iqgod with 3 posts (2 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Bsinks with 0.9 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Daytrader999 with 0.8 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 iqgod with 0.7 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 bobwest with 0.5 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 6,788 views
    2. thumb_up 28 thanks given
    3. group 11 followers
    1. forum 40 posts
    2. attach_file 5 attachments

Search this Thread

TST Combine Journal for Bsinks

Market Monkey
Pesaro,Italy

Thanks Given: 9
Thanks Received: 5

DarkPoolTrading View Post
It may be platform dependent. For example I know for a fact that if you're using Sierra, the platform will close your position for you if you reach your limit. So if your daily stoploss has been reached but you're still in a trade that hasn't yet reached your stop loss for that trade,...you will be forcefully taken out of the trade. I wouldn't be surprised if Ninja is the same.

Not sure about T4.

With T4, you not only don't get taken out whilst in a trade (but under DDL), you can still continue to trade the combine even when there's no chance of you rolling over/passing!

I was very surprised with regards to the first point because you could theoretically double your DDL and still pass. Not the best money management strategy!

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Pivot Indicator like the old SwingTemp by Big Mike
NinjaTrader
MC PL editor upgrade
MultiCharts
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader
Increase in trading performance by 75%
The Elite Circle
Trade idea based off three indicators.
Traders Hideout

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
27 thanks
Tao te Trade: way of the WLD
24 thanks
Diary of a simple price action trader
20 thanks
My NQ Trading Journal
14 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
9 thanks

Daytrader999 
Ilsede, Germany
Site Moderator

Experience: Advanced
Platform: NinjaTrader 8
Broker: Rithmic / CQG / Ninja Trader Brokerage
Trading: NQ
Thanks Given: 2,067
Thanks Received: 2,316

mykee View Post
Ahhh.... You are probably right. I'm using T4.

mykee

I'm using Ninja Trader and this did definitely not happen to me when I was in a similar situation.

It still looks strange, and it would be worth a question to the TST support team...

"If you don't design your own life plan, chances are you'll fall into someone else's plan. And guess what they have planned for you? Not much." - Jim Rohn
Thanked by:

DarkPoolTrading   is a Vendor

Thanks Given: 1,244
Thanks Received: 1,326

Daytrader999 View Post
I'm using Ninja Trader and this did definitely not happen to me when I was in a similar situation.

It still looks strange, and it would be worth a question to the TST support team...

Interesting. Well it certainly does happen with Sierra.

I presume that forcefully being taken out of the trade when the loss limit has been reached is the desired behavior by TST.

Think about it, you've just reached your loss limit for the combine but you're still in the trade. So you decide to throw every single good trading practice out the window and quite literally go for broke. You increase your stop loss so that it will never be hit, and you just sit and wait to see if the market comes back your way.

My guess is that is not a trader TST will fund, and will certainly put them through LTP at a bare minimum.

Having reached the loss limit you can still continue trading the combine,...however it is just not eligible for review/funding.

Diversification is the only free lunch
Follow me on Twitter Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Daytrader999 
Ilsede, Germany
Site Moderator

Think about it, you've just reached your loss limit for the combine but you're still in the trade. So you decide to throw every single good trading practice out the window and quite literally go for broke. You increase your stop loss so that it will never be hit, and you just sit and wait to see if the market comes back your way.

My guess is that is not a trader TST will fund, and will certainly put them through LTP at a bare minimum.

Exactly, I don't think that this is the desired behavior TST would look for.

"If you don't design your own life plan, chances are you'll fall into someone else's plan. And guess what they have planned for you? Not much." - Jim Rohn
Thanked by:

bobwest 
Western Florida
Site Moderator

Platform: Sierra Chart
Trading: ES, YM
Frequency: Several times daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 57,428
Thanks Received: 26,276

Daytrader999 View Post

Interesting. Well it certainly does happen with Sierra.

I presume that forcefully being taken out of the trade when the loss limit has been reached is the desired behavior by TST.

mykee View Post
I believed the same too. Only if you CLOSE that losing position, and take the loss, making you hit your DLL.

mykee View Post
Ahhh.... You are probably right. I'm using T4.

mykee

I think the thing is that neither Ninja nor Sierra had centralized risk management controls and reporting built-in, but T4 did. When TsT added Ninja to their lineup, you may remember that it was a long time before it was ready. They were having some sort of modifications made that gave them both the reporting and the risk management they wanted -- and I expect that once they had it, they did about the same with Sierra. So they probably made sure that they got all the rules put in that they wanted to have, but with T4 I don't think they customized anything, just took what was there.

This is a bit of a guess, but it makes sense, considering the different behaviors of the platforms that people are seeing.

Bob.

Edit: I just looked over the other posts again, and I'm not sure about this explanation, because we have some using Ninja who report that they were closed out automatically in the trade, and some -- @Daytrader999 -- saying they were not. Possibly TsT has made a recent change? Or possibly, my theory is no good?

I hate to give up a good theory....

Thanked by:

Daytrader999 
Ilsede, Germany
Site Moderator

bobwest View Post
Edit: I just looked over the other posts again, and I'm not sure about this explanation, because we have some using Ninja who report that they were closed out automatically in the trade, and some -- @Daytrader999 -- saying they were not. Possibly TsT has made a recent change? Or possibly, my theory is no good?

I hate to give up a good theory....

Well, since I've been in this situation a few months ago, I really can't say if this still applies to Ninja Trader combines...and to be honest, I'd be glad if I don't have to find this out one more time.

Thanked by:

DeadCatBounced 
Baltimore MD US

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NinjaTrader
Trading: ES, NQ
Thanks Given: 1,514
Thanks Received: 736

I did a combine on T4 where I was able to hold my trade through daily draw down limit (actually ended up coming back that day and ending like breakeven)

Anyways, next combine on ninjatrader I got stopped out, forced out of positions and blew the account :/

You live and you learn! So i just had to keep that in mind when I did my next combine

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

tturner86 
Portland, Oregon

Platform: F-16CM-40
Trading: GBU-39
Thanks Given: 10,459
Thanks Received: 12,695

Bsinks View Post
no it closed it.......I'm sure

Please talk a bit more about what happen on that last day. Since you will not do another combine, one of the best lessons here will be what happen and how you plan on correcting the issue that caused you to fail on the last day.

What were the trades that put you down for the day before the last one? What were you thinking? Feeling? How did effect you executing your plan?

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Bsinks 
Wichita Falls TX/United States

Platform: NinjaTrader
Trading: Soybeans, Crude, Natural Gas
Thanks Given: 37
Thanks Received: 65

I had a trade earlier in the morning that moved against me and was down 300 on 1 contract......where I had my limit order the trade was actually excuted 10 tics against me but showed a positive amount so I closed the trade and ended up 300 down (something wrong with ninja)....this has happened a couple of times last week and week before. So I was down 300.........took another trade on another instrument and had a good entry.......the trade moved against about 200 dollars and then close......never got close to my stop and ended up being a 770 dollar winner......I trade the ACD method.....opening range........I might do another combine later if needed.......but I made a $620 profit on my live account sense loosing the combine.......Its no big deal.......I'm pretty sure that I read in TST web site or in the squawk room that if your daily loss limit is reached it will close the trade. So that's what happened

Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

bobwest 
Western Florida
Site Moderator

Platform: Sierra Chart
Trading: ES, YM
Frequency: Several times daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 57,428
Thanks Received: 26,276

Bsinks View Post
I had a trade earlier in the morning that moved against me and was down 300 on 1 contract......where I had my limit order the trade was actually excuted 10 tics against me but showed a positive amount so I closed the trade and ended up 300 down (something wrong with ninja)....this has happened a couple of times last week and week before. So I was down 300.........took another trade on another instrument and had a good entry.......the trade moved against about 200 dollars and then close......never got close to my stop and ended up being a 770 dollar winner......I trade the ACD method.....opening range........I might do another combine later if needed.......but I made a $620 profit on my live account sense loosing the combine.......Its no big deal.......I'm pretty sure that I read in TST web site or in the squawk room that if your daily loss limit is reached it will close the trade. So that's what happened

Sounds like you're right.

You made a good effort, and you've got a good method.... Whichever you choose, go for it.

Great job, good luck.

Bob.

Thanked by:

Last Updated on July 29, 2014

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts