NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Trading ES with Depth of Market

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one isla with 40 posts (74 thanks)
    2. looks_two kronie with 2 posts (2 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Johno1 with 2 posts (1 thanks)
    4. looks_4 TickedOff with 2 posts (3 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Blash with 3 thanks per post
    2. looks_two isla with 1.9 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 TickedOff with 1.5 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 kronie with 1 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 13,616 views
    2. thumb_up 88 thanks given
    3. group 27 followers
    1. forum 54 posts
    2. attach_file 39 attachments

Search this Thread

Trading ES with Depth of Market

isla 
Kyiv/Ukraine

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: AMP/CQG
Trading: Indexes, CL
Thanks Given: 79
Thanks Received: 174

Yesterday I looked through my Combine trades so far and thought some adjustments are necessary. Like with many other things in trading, losses/mistakes/problems can actually create an opportunity for improvement.

It is clear that my Range Breakout trades are not performing that well. During testing in July this setup showed some promising results. But 20 trades cannot prepare you for all the variability of situations in the market. Hence, I need to use current Combine experience to either decide if the "setup" is tradable and requires adjustments or should be abandoned completely.

I will go with the first option as I can see context-wise some trades are better than other. The reason I got into testing this setup originally was a high number of days with horizontal, fairly tight ranges in July. I spotted how successful breakouts looked like back then and just tried to replicate the same trade in current environment. Although I should have given it more thought. Looking back at my Combine trades I can see that many of them were taken when market was already channeling in one direction, as opposed to accumulating positions of range-traders. That's why I need to focus on the way the range is developed and only look for momentum breakout if market is going sideways.

That's where I see the difference between trading your analysis and trading your understanding of the market. I don't look for patterns or signals, but follow the same logic I apply to everything in my trading: determine traders' possible positions and wait for a moment when they start bailing out. I acknowledge that I may still have negative results trading breakouts, but at least I have confidence to invest more time in this idea.

Started this thread Reply With Quote

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader
NexusFi Journal Challenge - April 2024
Feedback and Announcements
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
61 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
39 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
26 thanks
The Program
18 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
18 thanks
 isla 
Kyiv/Ukraine

Not much today:

Management: around 6k contracts traded at 1990 so I scaled out first part; we popped up a couple of ticks and I thought 1990 may be a minor support now so put my bid at 1990.25 for the second part.

Will be away next week. Hope I won't miss all the good stuff. Good luck everyone!

jamesico
Chicago + IL/USA

Thanks Given: 5
Thanks Received: 12

I uploaded a video sometime back. DOM trading on demo account.

Thanked by:
 isla 
Kyiv/Ukraine

jamesico View Post
I uploaded a video sometime back. DOM trading on demo account.

Hello jamesico,

Thanks for your post. What was the reason for the trade? Do you actually use some algorithm for entries?

isla 
Kyiv/Ukraine

Close, but not close enough. Was bidding for 4t on the first trade and for 6t on the second but ES only moved 3t (on first attempt; some aggressive buying so scratched) and 5t respectively.

Trade1: range trade

Trade2: front-running range breakout

Trade3: SIM, please ignore

isla 
Kyiv/Ukraine

Trades today:

Trade1: front-running a breakout. We formed a range between 1977.50 and high of the day, with high volume (poc) in the middle. I tried to depict how this range developed. As you can see ES didn't manage to push through high volume levels on correction off the highs. I got in when I saw a block sell order absorbed on the bid:

Trade2: volume cluster break. Volume at 82.25 as support straight after larger range break on a trend from the open day.

Trade3: got it a bit wrong. Looked like buying momentum was healthy so got in on a 1point pullback. But I guess high volume at 1988.25 was a problem.

Trade4: similar to Trade3. Better momentum.

Jigsaw Trading  Jigsaw Trading is an official Site Sponsor

Thanks Given: 831
Thanks Received: 10,393

That was amazing yesterday how they held onto that 77.75 level - did you see how much effort went into trying to push down through it?

When it did break through, sellers just could not hold it. Amazing how much buying pressure there is here.

If you have any questions about the products or services provided, please send me a Private Message or use the futures.io " Ask Me Anything" thread
Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
 isla 
Kyiv/Ukraine

Hi Pete!

Yeah, there definitely was buying absorption with cumulative delta moving down quite a bit. I guess that's why the push up was so strong. Many traders who were selling that range needed to get out.

I mainly focus on smaller setups but recently started testing some bigger picture ideas. I was short (paper trade) in 79.50 area as sellers stepped in at second POC of the day (first one was around 78.25). Your observation about the lack of follow through on 77.75 break would have been useful for managing that trade. There was also support from yesterday's Value area high.

Thanks for checking my journal.

isla 
Kyiv/Ukraine

A bit of an emotional day. Could be expected with FOMC tonight. Another mouse gone. Good thing I had a spare one this time. Learning from mistakes

Realistically, there was one tricky moment today, when on Trade2 I decided my worst case would be 1t profit (I was 2t onside at that point). But ES "skipped" my price and I was too hesitant/slow to bid for a scratch. So 3 trades with 0t heat, but lost 2t:

isla 
Kyiv/Ukraine

One trade today. Good selling momentum, but hesitated a bit initially as thickness of volumes in the DOM wasn't clear.

Got an optimistic SIM fill on my target (only a couple of hundred lots traded). Would have exited for 1t/scratch on a bounce:

Last Updated on October 12, 2015

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts