NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

iqGod's Own Country

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one iqgod with 257 posts (796 thanks)
    2. looks_two bobwest with 24 posts (52 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Scalpingtrader with 11 posts (28 thanks)
    4. looks_4 PandaWarrior with 9 posts (27 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one iqgod with 3.1 thanks per post
    2. looks_two PandaWarrior with 3 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Scalpingtrader with 2.5 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 bobwest with 2.2 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 54,109 views
    2. thumb_up 1,118 thanks given
    3. group 35 followers
    1. forum 385 posts
    2. attach_file 174 attachments

Search this Thread

iqGod's Own Country

bobwest 
Western Florida
Site Moderator

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Sierra Chart
Trading: ES, YM
Frequency: Several times daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 57,341
Thanks Received: 26,267

iqgod View Post
Here is why using a tick chart matters - same 5-minute chart (a bit later):

Yes. Fixed time charts can be useful, but you need to break up the price action in those big bars so you can see it.

iqgod View Post
A word of CAUTION: Do not attempt this. Neither will I again. News trading can destroy your account, life, marriage, heart etc. .....

Definitely yes!

iqgod View Post
+$480 today post-commissions.

Good work, though. Nothing succeeds like success.

Really good job so far. I'm enjoying your journal.

Bob.

Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
Are there any eval firms that allow you to sink to your …
Traders Hideout
NexusFi Journal Challenge - April 2024
Feedback and Announcements
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
The space time continuum and the dynamics of a financial …
Emini and Emicro Index

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
61 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
39 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
26 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
18 thanks
The Program
18 thanks

iqgod 
Mumbai, India
Legendary Market Wizard

Platform: ChartNexus
Trading: Stocks, Commodities, Futures
Thanks Given: 3,658
Thanks Received: 3,097

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

iqgod 
Mumbai, India
Legendary Market Wizard

Net +$40 on day 5.

It was an advanced range break short, but I covered intuitively after 2 positive ticks - thank god for my intuition, since the market went UP UP UP after that without even a single weeny pullback.

Thanked by:

iqgod 
Mumbai, India
Legendary Market Wizard

Scalpingtrader 
Hanover, Germany
Legendary Amateur Trader

Experience: Beginner
Platform: NinjaTrader
Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 3,144
Thanks Received: 5,147

iqgod View Post
Net +$40 on day 5.

It was an advanced range break short, but I covered intuitively after 2 positive ticks - thank god for my intuition, since the market went UP UP UP after that without even a single weeny pullback.

Well done. Sometimes I wish I had the insight and guts to just reverse a given position when I screams "YOUR WRONG YOUR WRONG!"

But I guess that's not something I should bother with given my level of experience and mental stability

Anyhow, keep us updated!

bobwest 
Western Florida
Site Moderator

iqgod View Post
Net +$40 on day 5.

I have noticed a couple of times that you have mentioned intuition or acting intuitively on this thread.

I think this is a powerful, if elusive, ability to have. I take it as somewhat like seeing/knowing what to do without consciously thinking, although it may be hard to put a description into words for it.

There were comments recently on another thread about over-thinking, and about acting without thinking, and I thought about your posts together with them, as relating to the same thing, beginning here:

Of course, this sort of "acting without thinking" is the opposite of reactive, impulsive "unthinking" action that just gets you into trouble by doing something foolish. It's the difference between being in the groove and not having a clue.... Or, perhaps, having a higher level of awareness vs. a lowered level, where you may think you are at the high end, but really are not.

I do not know how to cultivate or develop this ability, other than practice, and I do not know what aspects of practice or experience help with it. I do not know if you can consciously develop it, although I would like to.... it seems to come and go in flashes, and to be difficult to pin down.

Anyway, if you have any thoughts or experience on improving this ability, and would be willing to share them, I would be grateful.

Bob.

Thanked by:

Scalpingtrader 
Hanover, Germany
Legendary Amateur Trader

Experience: Beginner
Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 3,144
Thanks Received: 5,147

bobwest View Post
Of course, this sort of "acting without thinking" is the opposite of reactive, impulsive "unthinking" action that just gets you into trouble by doing something foolish. It's the difference between being in the groove and not having a clue....

I do not know how to cultivate or develop this ability, other than practice, and I do not know what aspects of practice or experience help with it.

Bob.

My personal belief is that the critical component to the way the subconcious makes its decisions is what habits and belief system we developed.

If you start out at trading you have all the natural habits and beliefs ie. success through active work, being right, fear of losing, adverse risk behaviour (let losses run & cut losers). If in that phase of trading development, our subconcious will use these exact habits to reason its decisionmaking. Which will lead to adding to losses etc. etc. - even if we already know its bull** to do that.

When however you truly mastered the concious process of trading and made it a habit to be consistent with stops and targets, preserving capital and aiming for the process with focus on the larger averages so that making the right decisions in a trading situation becomes somewhat natural to you ie. you don't even think about adding to a red position or widen the stop - then and only THEN you can slowly start to trust you stomach and let it guide you through your impressions.

What I would then want to do though is keeping a seperat journal/record about when did I act intuitively and what was my feeling, the result and the action in relation to my concious trading rules. Be open yet critic about it.

Again, that's just my humble model of how I imagine the world

Thanked by:

bobwest 
Western Florida
Site Moderator

Scalpingtrader View Post
My personal belief is that the critical component to the way the subconcious makes its decisions is what habits and belief system we developed.

If you start out at trading you have all the natural habits and beliefs ie. success through active work, being right, fear of losing, adverse risk behaviour (let losses run & cut losers). If in that phase of trading development, our subconcious will use these exact habits to reason its decisionmaking. Which will lead to adding to losses etc. etc. - even if we already know its bull** to do that.

When however you truly mastered the concious process of trading and made it a habit to be consistent with stops and targets, preserving capital and aiming for the process with focus on the larger averages so that making the right decisions in a trading situation becomes somewhat natural to you ie. you don't even think about adding to a red position or widen the stop - then and only THEN you can slowly start to trust you stomach and let it guide you through your impressions.

What I would then want to do though is keeping a seperat journal/record about when did I act intuitively and what was my feeling, the result and the action in relation to my concious trading rules. Be open yet critic about it.

Again, that's just my humble model of how I imagine the world

Yes, I can agree with that: how our mental habits need to be different, when trading compared to other pursuits. This is a matter of habits, internalizing rules, having the right experiences and learning from them, and I think it's very important. Trading is its own skill, and that skill needs to be developed.

What @iqgod was referring to, I think, was an intuitive recognition at the time that the trade he was in would not continue to work, and he got out just based on that feeling. If that's a matter of skill and habit, or a development of it, it's operating at a very high level. Or, it may be something that comes to one when one is sufficiently skilled, but is in fact something different.

Anyway, I think developing that intuition is important, and I am very interested in @iqgod's (and anyone else's) take on it. (Don't want to highjack the thread, though.... sorry to go on about my beliefs.... )

Bob.

Thanked by:

iqgod 
Mumbai, India
Legendary Market Wizard

bobwest View Post
I have noticed a couple of times that you have mentioned intuition or acting intuitively on this thread.

I think this is a powerful, if elusive, ability to have. I take it as somewhat like seeing/knowing what to do without consciously thinking, although it may be hard to put a description into words for it.

I do not know how to cultivate or develop this ability, other than practice, and I do not know what aspects of practice or experience help with it. I do not know if you can consciously develop it, although I would like to.... it seems to come and go in flashes, and to be difficult to pin down.

Anyway, if you have any thoughts or experience on improving this ability, and would be willing to share them, I would be grateful.

Bob.

Bob,

You are on the right track.

It is just practice practice practice till you internalize the validated beliefs that YOU have formed based on your experiences with the market - just put in the screen time and you automatically get there.

Read the Mental Game of Poker by Jared Tendler for how to get started.

I am a long time fan (a decade and more) of Vipassana i.e. mindful meditation. I started this thread but then stopped posting my experiences publicly - intuition grows better in the shade than harsh stage spotlights.

ratfink 
Birmingham UK
Market Wizard

Experience: Intermediate
Broker: TST/Rithmic
Trading: YM/Gold
Thanks Given: 17,423
Thanks Received: 8,425

bobwest View Post
Of course, this sort of "acting without thinking" is the opposite of reactive, impulsive "unthinking" action that just gets you into trouble by doing something foolish. It's the difference between being in the groove and not having a clue.... Or, perhaps, having a higher level of awareness vs. a lowered level, where you may think you are at the high end, but really are not.

Bob.

Gerd Gigerenzer uses the term 'unconscious intelligence'. I also think of it as heuristics (good rules of thumb) and 'feel', I think we all know roughly what we mean by it, and it's what the experts in most fields do without being aware of it. My two latest best reads are his books 'Gut Feelings' and 'Risk Savvy' (there are financial chapters but neither is directly trading related.) Now if only I could remember where to find it and what to do with it...

Travel Well
Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

Last Updated on April 29, 2016

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts