NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

How do YOU enter a trade

Discussion in Emini and Emicro Index

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one tderrick with 18 posts (14 thanks)
    2. looks_two tturner86 with 5 posts (3 thanks)
    3. looks_3 sands with 3 posts (2 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Scalpingtrader with 3 posts (3 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one rk142 with 5 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Luger with 2 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 trendisyourfriend with 1.5 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 tderrick with 0.8 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 10,672 views
    2. thumb_up 49 thanks given
    3. group 13 followers
    1. forum 41 posts
    2. attach_file 0 attachments

Search this Thread

How do YOU enter a trade

tderrick 
Nashville, Tennessee

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Ninja / Jigsaw / 9G
Broker: AMP / CQG
Trading: NQ, YM and ES
Thanks Given: 4,260
Thanks Received: 2,532

tturner86 View Post
Brackets in OEC are your entry order + stop loss + profit taking limit. But that way I click one button and all my orders are placed into the market. No scramble to insert others when you are filled.

Oh, I see, It's like Ninja's ATM's ... OK

AJ
Nashville, Tennessee

"Life On The Edge of SR"
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
My NT8 Volume Profile Split by Asian/Euro/Open
NinjaTrader
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
Are there any eval firms that allow you to sink to your …
Traders Hideout
NexusFi Journal Challenge - April 2024
Feedback and Announcements

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
61 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
38 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
27 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
18 thanks
The Program
18 thanks

tderrick 
Nashville, Tennessee

trendisyourfriend View Post
Exact, except i rarely use a stop limit i prefer a stop buy as i want to make sure i won't miss the move.

Ok ... so you would prefer the slippage of a Stop Market entry rather than miss the break ...

What would slippage be in the NQ .. 2 ticks , max ... sounds like a good idea.

AJ
Nashville, Tennessee

"Life On The Edge of SR"
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

tturner86 
Portland, Oregon

Platform: F-16CM-40
Trading: GBU-39
Thanks Given: 10,459
Thanks Received: 12,695

tderrick View Post
Ok ... so you would prefer the slippage of a Stop Market entry rather than miss the break ...

What would slippage be in the NQ .. 2 ticks , max ... sounds like a good idea.

Usually, but I have slipped a point in the NQ during a fast move.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

tderrick 
Nashville, Tennessee

tturner86 View Post
Usually, but I have slipped a point in the NQ during a fast move.

hmmm ... not good ....

OK , stop limits it is

AJ
Nashville, Tennessee

"Life On The Edge of SR"
Thanked by:
 Luger 
Nashville, TN

Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: IB
Trading: NQ ES
Thanks Given: 323
Thanks Received: 543

This isn't exactly about making the entry, but is an important point. When you see those big moves occurring, you have to ask yourself if this was a higher time frame driving the situation. Use your same kind of analysis: Was there an edge? etc. If you can determine this quickly, then there is more comfort "chasing" because higher time frame = larger move. If you understand the cadence of a move on a smaller time frame, then you can figure the cadence on a larger time frame and determine if the RR is appropriate.

I am a buy the bid and sell the ask kind of guy. One thing I need to improve on is when to shift to more aggressive, and I think this is part of your issue as well. I do have a hard time shifting from buy the bid to market order on those big moves, but i have been trying to train myself into that. In those situations, it seems that if you can't get that minor pullback to get your bid hit, then those are the times that you need to furiously pump the buy market order because those are the strongest moves. You can use a one unit test "buy bid" or "buy limit" that lets you know how aggressive you need to be depending on whether you get filled or not.

Thanked by:

tderrick 
Nashville, Tennessee

Luger View Post
This isn't exactly about making the entry, but is an important point. When you see those big moves occurring, you have to ask yourself if this was a higher time frame driving the situation. Use your same kind of analysis: Was there an edge? etc. If you can determine this quickly, then there is more comfort "chasing" because higher time frame = larger move. If you understand the cadence of a move on a smaller time frame, then you can figure the cadence on a larger time frame and determine if the RR is appropriate.

I am a buy the bid and sell the ask kind of guy. One thing I need to improve on is when to shift to more aggressive, and I think this is part of your issue as well. I do have a hard time shifting from buy the bid to market order on those big moves, but i have been trying to train myself into that. In those situations, it seems that if you can't get that minor pullback to get your bid hit, then those are the times that you need to furiously pump the buy market order because those are the strongest moves. You can use a one unit test "buy bid" or "buy limit" that lets you know how aggressive you need to be depending on whether you get filled or not.

What is up, neighbor ...are you still trading via bot?

AJ
Nashville, Tennessee

"Life On The Edge of SR"
Thanked by:

liquidcci 
Austin, TX

Experience: Master
Platform: ninjatrader, r-trader
Trading: NQ, CL
Thanks Given: 610
Thanks Received: 1,091

I use market orders. I have used limits and buy stops in the past. They all have positives and negatives. I rarely get more than 1 tick slippage on TF, NQ, or CL but I am on a server in the Aurora data center and tied directly into the rithmic trading engine (on same router) which makes a big difference. Majority of trades I get no slippage at all but what I do get I build into my expectancy and then some.

"The day I became a winning trader was the day it became boring. Daily losses no longer bother me and daily wins no longer excited me. Took years of pain and busting a few accounts before finally got my mind right. I survived the darkness within and now just chillax and let my black box do the work."
Thanked by:
 Luger 
Nashville, TN

Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: IB
Trading: NQ ES
Thanks Given: 323
Thanks Received: 543

Still got the bots running...sometimes I am glad and sometimes they frustrate me...

I've traded more myself to go along with the bots...sometimes I am glad and some I frustrate me...lol

Thanked by:

PandaWarrior 
In the heat

Experience: None
Thanks Given: 6,329
Thanks Received: 13,404

Buy or sell stops 95% of the time, other 5% is split between buy or sell market and limit orders....limit orders have become a slightly larger part of my business lately but still a very small part of the over all order entry types.

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication, Leonardo da Vinci

Most people chose unhappiness over uncertainty, Tim Ferris
Thanked by:

sands 
London + UK

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Proprietary Analytics
Broker: Multiple broker + Multiple feed
Trading: Currently European and US equities
Thanks Given: 257
Thanks Received: 234

tderrick View Post
Yes , the renko's would certainly help with stop limit order's ...

I have Buy Bid and Sell Ask set up on my Custom DOM .. I bet that is the ticket. I used to use them more ,
but I still felt like it was still too "impulsive" , and I wasn't showing enough patience by waiting for my limit order ..

CAN ANYONE TELL I HAVE MASSIVE SCARS FROM LOSING HUGE PILES OF CASH CHASING?

In the end , I would still be waiting for smallest of PB's ! ... using the buy bid and sell ask

So, just wait for sucker to reverse at the level in question and hit the button ...

There is certainly a benefit to knowing exactly where your stop would go , instead of estimating a range , such
as on a "blind" PB entry ...

Now a limit order set at a consolidation edge is still the best entry , imho

good stuff

Lol. same scars as us all mate :-) really good thread..lets keep it active.

Last Updated on June 3, 2014

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts