NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

commodity spreads

Discussion in Commodities

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one SMCJB with 23 posts (21 thanks)
    2. looks_two brentf with 16 posts (12 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Kurtas with 9 posts (5 thanks)
    4. looks_4 myrrdin with 8 posts (10 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one myrrdin with 1.3 thanks per post
    2. looks_two SMCJB with 0.9 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 brentf with 0.8 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Kurtas with 0.6 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 29,667 views
    2. thumb_up 66 thanks given
    3. group 40 followers
    1. forum 99 posts
    2. attach_file 17 attachments

Search this Thread

commodity spreads

brentf
winnipeg canada

Thanks Given: 0
Thanks Received: 12

N/X bean spread has narrowed to $2.06 over as funds liquidate N.This is an example of the value of COT that I was trying to make earlier.

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
NexusFi Journal Challenge - April 2024
Feedback and Announcements
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader
Deepmoney LLM
Elite Quantitative GenAI/LLM
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
Ninja Mobile Trader VPS (ninjamobiletrader.com)
Trading Reviews and Vendors

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
60 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
37 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
24 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
22 thanks
The Program
19 thanks
PropArb
Chicago Illinois

Thanks Received: 9

brentf View Post
N/X bean spread has narrowed to $2.06 over as funds liquidate N.This is an example of the value of COT that I was trying to make earlier.

Well, from my experience with pair calendar spreads that include a prompt front month - it seems that they are typically quite directional with the front month. So it's just like trading the outright front month it seems.

Thanked by:

SMCJB 
Houston TX
Legendary Market Wizard

Experience: Advanced
Platform: TT and Stellar
Broker: Advantage Futures
Trading: Primarily Energy but also a little Equities, Fixed Income, Metals and Crypto.
Frequency: Many times daily
Duration: Never
Thanks Given: 4,375
Thanks Received: 10,192

I agree. So unless I have a strong opinion on the prompt I try to avoid prompt spreads.

I think in this case brentf did have an opinion on the prompt based upon COT analysis.

lsandersj
Bradenton, FL

Thanks Given: 3
Thanks Received: 4

I'm not sure i can agree with the prompt front month concept. It seems to me the historical relationship of the two contracts is the controlling factor.

For example, if both contracts prices go down I don't care, just as long as the spread relationship I am trading goes in my favor. I've found myself in the dilemma of trying to place a stop order for a spread based on one of the contracts. If you think about it you have to say if my long month goes down I want out, but wait, what if my short month goes down even more.

The self-hedging aspect is one of the things I like about spreads versus an outright. Influences outside of the reason you are trading the spread for example affects all contracts generally in the same direction. This is not always true of course but warranted or not I sleep a little better knowing that if something out of the blue happens I am better off than if on the wrong side of an outright.

IMHO

Thanked by:
PropArb
Chicago Illinois

Thanks Received: 9

lsandersj View Post
I'm not sure i can agree with the prompt front month concept. It seems to me the historical relationship of the two contracts is the controlling factor.

For example, if both contracts prices go down I don't care, just as long as the spread relationship I am trading goes in my favor. I've found myself in the dilemma of trying to place a stop order for a spread based on one of the contracts.

IMHO

If you look at the energy complex the past few years, the front month to second month and most of the other prompt/ near term calendar spread differentials ( esp. Pairs) you can overlay onto the front month flat price future price action. Now, this is not a constant, and it is not universal, even within the energy complex on a historical basis.

My only point is that it is something you should model for and be mindful of.

Moving further out on the curve and trading more complex intermarket spreads is one good solution.

lsandersj
Bradenton, FL

I'm not sure of what you mean with" you can overlay onto the front month flat price future price action. Now, this is not a constant".

I'm also not restricting myself to front month/second month. Maybe this year next year. I also look at inter as well as intra commodity spreads. My main approach is wherever there is a historical probability first and then current conditions as a filter. (Which would take into account COT.)

Would like to increase my perception by understanding your point.

Thanks

Griffith
Los Angeles, CA

Thanks Given: 7
Thanks Received: 1

Hey Spreaders! Lately, I've become more interested in your corner of the market.

Can anyone recommend a good learning resource to get more exposure to some of the fundamentals and strategies of commodities spreading?

thx

lsandersj
Bradenton, FL

I like MRCI.com. It is a subscription site but there is a lot of free stuff also. With the statistical data I get for $50/month I pay my subscription many times over.

Thanked by:
brentf
winnipeg canada

With respect to the nearby month and fundamental analysis, the correlation between the deliverable stocks and the open interest is the single most important influence on a grain spread. In a situation where stocks are perceived to be tight and deliverables negligible, (as in the case of he N/X beans), the nearby will invert. The size of the inversion is correlated to the severity of the shortage.Essentially the market is willing to forgo carrying costs on order to secure supplies for the immediate future. In a case where deliverable supplies are adequate/burdensome relative to the open interest. the nearby will typically trade at a discount to the deferred months. In this case the market is unwilling to pay more than carrying costs to secure supplies. This is the case for 2014/15 bean spreads as inventories are replenished. Moving forward with the 2014/15 bean crop, the market uses the carryout as a proxy for deliverable stocks. Right now the market is using something close to a 350 carryout (125 this year). enough to keep spreads at a carry.

Going back to the N/X bean spread, I suggested that it would weaken as first delivery day approached, the shortage of deliverable stocks was well documented but given that funds were long half the open interest of the nearby, there would be less deliverables required than at first blush. Also, beans imported from SA increased the deliverable supply.

brentf
winnipeg canada

USDA report this am increases bean acreage, very negative for X beans, expect new crop bean spreads to weaken given increased carryout.

Last Updated on August 3, 2018

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts