NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

commodity spreads

Discussion in Commodities

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one SMCJB with 23 posts (21 thanks)
    2. looks_two brentf with 16 posts (12 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Kurtas with 9 posts (5 thanks)
    4. looks_4 myrrdin with 8 posts (10 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one myrrdin with 1.3 thanks per post
    2. looks_two SMCJB with 0.9 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 brentf with 0.8 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Kurtas with 0.6 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 29,921 views
    2. thumb_up 66 thanks given
    3. group 40 followers
    1. forum 99 posts
    2. attach_file 17 attachments

Search this Thread

commodity spreads

Corntr8der
Chicago Il/USA

Thanks Given: 1
Thanks Received: 0

This is the type of stuff I look for.

Unfortunately, all of my past oil spreads have been just pure luck so... I don't know enough about oil to trade the spreads unless I'm subbing an outright with a spread. Even then it's not guaranteed to widen or narrow.

In hindsight it would have been a decent trade.

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
MC PL editor upgrade
MultiCharts
Trade idea based off three indicators.
Traders Hideout

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Diary of a simple price action trader
26 thanks
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
21 thanks
My NQ Trading Journal
19 thanks
Tao te Trade: way of the WLD
14 thanks
HumbleTraders next chapter
9 thanks
zxcv64
London, UK

Thanks Given: 162
Thanks Received: 68

zxcv64 View Post
I've just noticed that the backwardation in CL has created a large divergence between CLU18 and CLZ18, currently almost 4. (In fact, other spreads eg CLU18-CLU19 etc etc show a similarly unusually large divergence.)
This spread has been between 0.5 - 1.7 for most of the year.

I would love to know the views of experienced guys here on how to trade this.

Link : https://www.barchart.com/futures/quotes/CLU18/technical-chart?plot=LINE&volume=contract&data=DO&density=X&pricesOn=1&asPctChange=0&logscale=0&indicators=SRSI&sym=CLU18-CLZ18&grid=1&height=500&studyheight=100&isSpread=1

After posting the above, I entered the trade at around 3.2 and exited it last week at 1.7. I believe there is further profit to
be had, but I was happy with the returns. I do not profess to understand all the fundamentals behind CL (it's such a
complex beast), but I enjoyed the quick in-out, based purely on technical aspects.

Thanked by:
Corntr8der
Chicago Il/USA

zxcv64 View Post
After posting the above, I entered the trade at around 3.2 and exited it last week at 1.7. I believe there is further profit to
be had, but I was happy with the returns. I do not profess to understand all the fundamentals behind CL (it's such a
complex beast), but I enjoyed the quick in-out, based purely on technical aspects.

Nice! I so badly want to figure out CL spreads. They offer one of the best returns on margin I have ever seen.

A number of people I talked to before only trade one month spreads and more or less swing trade them in and out of their range. It almost sounds like what you just did here.

I suppose I won't get good at it until I actually start following them like I did with corn...

Sent using the NexusFi mobile app

zxcv64
London, UK

Corntr8der, I basically saw a chart of the spread which showed a big divergence, and took the trade on. It worked out well.

I have another open spread as below :

GO (Gas-Oil), GOU18-GOZ18. Buying the Sep, and selling the Dec. I opened it on 12-Jul for -0.5. Will aim to close for around 4 to 6. The margin on this was quite low at $250. I saw this on seasonalgo, and the chart there looks very convincing.

I'd love to insert an image, but am having problems. Will try and attach a file.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GO.PNG
Views:	324
Size:	135.7 KB
ID:	252730  
Thanked by:
Corntr8der
Chicago Il/USA

Nice to see you found something that works. It sounds similar to what I do.
I've been looking into crude spreads lately. I took a quick trade yesterday on the Sept/Oct spread and made a nice and easy Ben Franklin. I was surprised at how easy it was.
I've been doing a lot of research about the crude spreads and found the one month spreads to be less volitile than trading three, six or twelve month spreads.
Ironically, I also discovered that most of the time traders spread rbob and crude. The crack spreads still seem to hold their seasonality pretty well. I've been waiting for an opportunity to test it out.

myrrdin 
Linz Austria

Experience: Advanced
Platform: TWS
Broker: Interactive Brokers
Trading: Commodities
Thanks Given: 3,687
Thanks Received: 2,651

Corntr8der View Post
Nice to see you found something that works. It sounds similar to what I do.
I've been looking into crude spreads lately. I took a quick trade yesterday on the Sept/Oct spread and made a nice and easy Ben Franklin. I was surprised at how easy it was.
I've been doing a lot of research about the crude spreads and found the one month spreads to be less volitile than trading three, six or twelve month spreads.
Ironically, I also discovered that most of the time traders spread rbob and crude. The crack spreads still seem to hold their seasonality pretty well. I've been waiting for an opportunity to test it out.

I agree, I also like trading crack spreads and the RB-HO spread. Their seasonalities are quite reliable.

Currently I am long the RBG9-HOG9. (I usually hold my trades for weeks or months.)

Best regards, Myrrdin

Thanked by:
zxcv64
London, UK

myrrdin View Post
I agree, I also like trading crack spreads and the RB-HO spread. Their seasonalities are quite reliable.

Currently I am long the RBG9-HOG9. (I usually hold my trades for weeks or months.)

Best regards, Myrrdin

I assume you entered this around mid Jun. If so, this is now showing a really good profit. This year, the spread seems to
have mirrored the 15-year seasonality very well.

I'm a newbie to futures calendar spreads (but 20+ years in options trading) and so far I love the way these
spreads behave, how margin efficient they are and how they really can offer proper diversification and are very scalable.

I'm hoping this particular thread becomes more active, as it's a tremendous learning resource.

myrrdin 
Linz Austria

zxcv64 View Post
I assume you entered this around mid Jun. If so, this is now showing a really good profit. This year, the spread seems to
have mirrored the 15-year seasonality very well.

I'm a newbie to futures calendar spreads (but 20+ years in options trading) and so far I love the way these
spreads behave, how margin efficient they are and how they really can offer proper diversification and are very scalable.

I'm hoping this particular thread becomes more active, as it's a tremendous learning resource.

The main reason why I like spread trading is diversification. Otherwise it is hard to find a large enough number of trades that are independent from each other.

I entered the RBG-HOG spread between -26 and -27 in early July. Target is between -10 and 0 some time in January. I might roll the spread to avoid the front month contracts.

In many years I enter this trade in October. In El Nino years - relatively warm winters in the US - I prefer entering earlier.

You might want to have a look at my other threads in the commodities section (Energies, Grains & Beans, Meats, Softs, Metals, Seasonal Trades). They also include spread trading.

Best regards, Myrrdin

Thanked by:

mattz   is a Vendor

Thanks Given: 2,441
Thanks Received: 3,791

@myrrdin I have seen more and more people requesting to trade VIX Futures spreads using their term structure.
Have you ever looked at these instruments? Just interested in your feedback as a spread trader.

Thanks,
Matt Z
Optimus Futures

There is a substantial risk of loss in futures trading. Past performance is not indicative of future results.

Trading futures and options involves substantial risk of loss and is not suitable for all investors. Past performance is not necessarily indicative of future results. You may lose more than your initial investment. All posts are opinions and do not claim to be facts. Please conduct your own due diligence. Use only Risk capital when trading Futures.
1 800 771 6748 local 561 367 8686 email [email protected]
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
 myrrdin 
Linz Austria

mattz View Post
@myrrdin I have seen more and more people requesting to trade VIX Futures spreads using their term structure.
Have you ever looked at these instruments? Just interested in your feedback as a spread trader.

Thanks,
Matt Z
Optimus Futures

There is a substantial risk of loss in futures trading. Past performance is not indicative of future results.

I never was interested in trading VIX future spreads.

Most of the spreads I trade are inter-commodities spreads or old crop / new crop spreads, and show strong seasonals (Grains & Beans, Meats, Energies).

Best regards, Myrrdin

Thanked by:

Last Updated on August 3, 2018

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts