NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Should sim traders who pretend to trade cash be allowed on BMT?

Discussion in Traders Hideout

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one wldman with 30 posts (40 thanks)
    2. looks_two Big Mike with 19 posts (74 thanks)
    3. looks_3 jsengxx2 with 14 posts (22 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Massive l with 7 posts (14 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one DarkPoolTrading with 7.2 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Big Mike with 3.9 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 tderrick with 3.8 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 wldman with 1.3 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 84,373 views
    2. thumb_up 411 thanks given
    3. group 47 followers
    1. forum 203 posts
    2. attach_file 1 attachments

Closed Thread

Search this Thread

Should sim traders who pretend to trade cash be allowed on BMT?

trendisyourfriend 
Quebec Canada
Market Wizard

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: AMP/CQG
Trading: ES, NQ, YM
Frequency: Daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 4,171
Thanks Received: 6,018

bobwest View Post
The lesson is that anything can be faked, as @Big Mike has said, and nothing can truly be verified.

So the problem, which is definitely the integrity of the forum, is up to the attitudes and the culture of the members. A culture of honesty and sharing real information is one of the best things about this forum, and cannot be lost without harming everyone.

Unfortunately, I have no more practical ideas than that, but I think this thread may be helping; it's at least raising the issue and getting it discussed.

Bob.

I like your post. How to foster integrity? Maybe Mike should intervene more often and enforce simple rules in the journal section in the same way he intervenes with vendors. A journal is not a place to show off or post trading ideas even less a place to teach people how to trade. Presently, it is a mixture of many things and maybe the reason why some use this section as a place to avoid being socially isolated as a trader at home.

Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
Deepmoney LLM
Elite Quantitative GenAI/LLM
New Micros: Ultra 10-Year & Ultra T-Bond -- Live Now
Treasury Notes and Bonds
Futures True Range Report
The Elite Circle

andby 
Norwich, UK

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Multiple:research&executi
Broker: Started with Stage5/OEC ... multiple
Trading: Anything found profitable goes ...
Thanks Given: 88
Thanks Received: 88

trendisyourfriend View Post
I like your post. How to foster integrity? Maybe Mike should intervene more often and enforce simple rules in the journal section in the same way he intervenes with vendors. A journal is not a place to show off or post trading ideas even less a place to teach people how to trade. Presently, it is a mixture of many things and maybe the reason why some use this section as a place to avoid being socially isolated as a trader at home.

Leaving aside the question of real vs sim, I would add that a journal is first written for the benefit of it's author through the eyes and critique of those who read and comment on it. So, if someone really strikes only winners each and every day, they should not need to post a journal after all, if everything is shiny and blossom; as they don't need to learn anything new. And even if that's the case, and they're such a rock star, we all know that they won't provide anybody much value just by posting those trades, but rather they'll mislead a lot of newbies. So, I don't see much of a difference in value added between someone who just posts sim/real shiny and winning only trades and someone offering a weekend long $25K trading crash course to naives, other than perhaps the former is not such expensive

At a very least, I think a scoring mechanism that gives a "usefulness"/"trustworthiness" mark to such journals would be welcomed; after all, the reader needs to learn something useful as well from such journals.

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 33,173
Thanks Received: 101,537

andby View Post
At a very least, I think a scoring mechanism that gives a "usefulness"/"trustworthiness" mark to such journals would be welcomed; after all, the reader needs to learn something useful as well from such journals.

We have the 'Thanks' button already. It's basically the same as +1 or a positive up vote.

I have considered negative options (down votes, thumbs down, dislike, etc) in the past and came to the conclusion it sets the wrong tone for the site and will create far more problems than it will solve. So I am not interested in implementing any type of mechanism where people could "down vote" certain material at this time.

The followers of those threads already "Thank" them, and I know that the others that either don't read the threads or think they are BS or whatever simply don't "Thank" them. I realize it is unbalanced, but like I said above I don't want to reinforce negativity by having a down vote option.

Mike

We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread
Thanked by:

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 33,173
Thanks Received: 101,537

I believe this thread has mostly run its course. I hope that it has educated some and I also hope it has made those who are purposely deceiving reconsider.

I was not happy to see people mention names in the thread. For this reason, I am closing the thread as of this post.

I appreciate all the positive and well thought out responses the thread received from those who have the best intentions at heart for the site.

Thank you,

Mike

We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread

Closed Thread

Last Updated on April 24, 2014

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts