NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Trading Journal - Reversal Bars

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one tradethetick with 209 posts (157 thanks)
    2. looks_two JTurner77 with 12 posts (1 thanks)
    3. looks_3 lolu with 4 posts (0 thanks)
    4. looks_4 mlarocco with 2 posts (0 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one VolTrading with 2 thanks per post
    2. looks_two johnedoe with 1 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 tradethetick with 0.8 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 lsubeano with 0.5 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 42,964 views
    2. thumb_up 168 thanks given
    3. group 31 followers
    1. forum 248 posts
    2. attach_file 1 attachments

Search this Thread

Trading Journal - Reversal Bars

tradethetick 
Irvine, CA

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: Adv/TT
Trading: CL, GC, TF
Thanks Given: 42
Thanks Received: 374

No trades today.

Trade Results: 34 Trades. 23 Wins / 11 Losses. Ratio: 67.65%. MTD: +15 ticks (per 1 lot) YTD: +255 ticks (per 1 lot)

Started this thread Reply With Quote

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
NexusFi Journal Challenge - May 2024
Feedback and Announcements
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
How to apply profiles
Traders Hideout

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Spoo-nalysis ES e-mini futures S&P 500
45 thanks
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
31 thanks
Bigger Wins or Fewer Losses?
24 thanks
Tao te Trade: way of the WLD
24 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
22 thanks

tradethetick 
Irvine, CA

Contract: Gold
Entry signal: Inside Bar Long
Entry price: 1270.5 (red)
Exit price: 1271.5 (green) Target
Entry time:6:37 A.M. (Pacific Time)
Ticks: +10 (per 1 lot)

Missed the inside bar short earlier at around 5:40 AM. It was a better trade. But both were winners.

Trade Results: 35 Trades. 24 Wins / 11 Losses. Ratio: 68.57%. MTD: +25 ticks (per 1 lot) YTD: +265 ticks (per 1 lot)

tradethetick 
Irvine, CA

No trades today.

Trade Results: 35 Trades. 24 Wins / 11 Losses. Ratio: 68.57%. MTD: +25 ticks (per 1 lot) YTD: +265 ticks (per 1 lot)

JTurner77
Los Angeles, CA

Thanks Given: 55
Thanks Received: 31

Following along here and want to make sure I am fully understanding your set up.

Please correct me if I am wrong on anything.

1. In an uptrend you are looking for a bear reversal signal where the signal bar features a low that is lower than the previous bar low and a high that is lower than the previous bar high. You would then go short on a trade below the signal bar low.

2. In a downtrend you are looking for a bullish reversal signal where the signal bar features a low that is higher than the previous bar's low along with a high that his higher than the previous bar's high. You would then enter a long position above the signal bar high.

3. The signal bars must close opposite the previous bar. For example, for a bullish reversal signal to be valid, it must close higher than where it opened AND the previous bar must have closed lower than its open.

4. Ignore reversal signals/set ups in steep trends unless the reversals are in the direction of the trend in the timeframe being traded.

5. You also use inside day bars as signals/set ups.

Is this summary correct?

tradethetick 
Irvine, CA

JTurner77 View Post
Following along here and want to make sure I am fully understanding your set up.

Please correct me if I am wrong on anything.

1. In an uptrend you are looking for a bear reversal signal where the signal bar features a low that is lower than the previous bar low and a high that is lower than the previous bar high. You would then go short on a trade below the signal bar low.

2. In a downtrend you are looking for a bullish reversal signal where the signal bar features a low that is higher than the previous bar's low along with a high that his higher than the previous bar's high. You would then enter a long position above the signal bar high.

3. The signal bars must close opposite the previous bar. For example, for a bullish reversal signal to be valid, it must close higher than where it opened AND the previous bar must have closed lower than its open.

4. Ignore reversal signals/set ups in steep trends unless the reversals are in the direction of the trend in the timeframe being traded.

5. You also use inside day bars as signals/set ups.

Is this summary correct?

Dead on!!

Thanked by:
JTurner77
Los Angeles, CA

When looking at charts, I sometimes notice instances where the the signal bar closes on its low (or high) and the next bar where you are supposed to enter the trade one tick below/above opens where the previous bar closed and continues to run in the direction of your trade.

How do you handle these situations?

I am presuming that before you can even enter your orders that the market is moving through your entry point. Do you just place a market order at that time and hope the price moves back and fills you or do you just suck it up and place a market order so you don't get left behind?

tradethetick 
Irvine, CA

JTurner77 View Post
When looking at charts, I sometimes notice instances where the the signal bar closes on its low (or high) and the next bar where you are supposed to enter the trade one tick below/above opens where the previous bar closed and continues to run in the direction of your trade.

How do you handle these situations?

I am presuming that before you can even enter your orders that the market is moving through your entry point. Do you just place a market order at that time and hope the price moves back and fills you or do you just suck it up and place a market order so you don't get left behind?

I use limit orders to get in. On all of these postings I was filled with a limit order.

The market will move around even though it may look like it moved in a linear direction in the direction of my trade. If I don't get filled, I do not chase the market. I don't post the trades that I missed.

tradethetick 
Irvine, CA

No trades today.

JTurner77
Los Angeles, CA

tradethetick View Post
I use limit orders to get in. On all of these postings I was filled with a limit order.

The market will move around even though it may look like it moved in a linear direction in the direction of my trade. If I don't get filled, I do not chase the market. I don't post the trades that I missed.

Have you tracked the trades that you missed to see what their end result would have been?

tradethetick 
Irvine, CA

JTurner77 View Post
Have you tracked the trades that you missed to see what their end result would have been?

If I miss a trade on a limit order it is always a winner. I leave my resting order on until it hits my target. Once price hits the target, I remove the order. So if I don't get filled at all then I don't post it.

Last Updated on February 2, 2015

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts