NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Trading Journal - Reversal Bars

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one tradethetick with 209 posts (157 thanks)
    2. looks_two JTurner77 with 12 posts (1 thanks)
    3. looks_3 lolu with 4 posts (0 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Big Mike with 2 posts (0 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one VolTrading with 2 thanks per post
    2. looks_two johnedoe with 1 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Tasker_182 with 1 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 tradethetick with 0.8 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 42,422 views
    2. thumb_up 168 thanks given
    3. group 31 followers
    1. forum 248 posts
    2. attach_file 1 attachments

Search this Thread

Trading Journal - Reversal Bars

tradethetick 
Irvine, CA

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: Adv/TT
Trading: CL, GC, TF
Thanks Given: 42
Thanks Received: 374

Contract: Russell
Entry signal: Reversal Bar Short
Entry price: 1168.0 (red)
Exit price: 1266.4 (green) Target
Entry time: 7:03 A.M. (Pacific Time)
Ticks: +16 (per 1 lot)

Trade Results: 36 Trades. 25 Wins / 11 Losses. Ratio: 69.44%. MTD: +41 ticks (per 1 lot) YTD: +281 ticks (per 1 lot)

Started this thread Reply With Quote

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
NexusFi Journal Challenge - April 2024
Feedback and Announcements
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
New Micros: Ultra 10-Year & Ultra T-Bond -- Live Now
Treasury Notes and Bonds

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
59 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
37 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
22 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
22 thanks
The Program
20 thanks

tradethetick 
Irvine, CA

No trades today.

Trade Results: 36 Trades. 25 Wins / 11 Losses. Ratio: 69.44%. MTD: +41 ticks (per 1 lot) YTD: +281 ticks (per 1 lot)

tradethetick 
Irvine, CA

No trades today.

JTurner77
Los Angeles, CA

Thanks Given: 55
Thanks Received: 31

tradethetick:

Forgive me if I missed the answer to the following question on an earlier page in the thread.

Have you discussed how you identify the trend to determine if the market is in an uptrend or a downtrend?

I know you added a filter pertaining to avoiding reversals in steep trends, but I don't recall any discussion about identifying a trend or a steep trend, for that matter?

Additionally, I would like to ask you to share your confidence/comfort with this set up? You have been posting here in this journal for a few months and I was hoping you might be able to offer a more substantive assessment of your feelings about the experience you have had with it to date.

Not sure what you feel comfortable sharing or what kind of questions would be appropriate/fair for me to ask, either.

tradethetick 
Irvine, CA

JTurner77 View Post
tradethetick:

Forgive me if I missed the answer to the following question on an earlier page in the thread.

Have you discussed how you identify the trend to determine if the market is in an uptrend or a downtrend?

I know you added a filter pertaining to avoiding reversals in steep trends, but I don't recall any discussion about identifying a trend or a steep trend, for that matter?

Additionally, I would like to ask you to share your confidence/comfort with this set up? You have been posting here in this journal for a few months and I was hoping you might be able to offer a more substantive assessment of your feelings about the experience you have had with it to date.

Not sure what you feel comfortable sharing or what kind of questions would be appropriate/fair for me to ask, either.

I am not sure if I answered already or not. If not, then please accept my apologies.

I identify a trend by looking at the bars. I am looking for higher highs and higher lows for an uptrend and I am looking at lower lows and lower highs for a downtrend. I am looking back 3 or more bars.

To determine a steep trend, I am looking at the movement of the bars compared to prior movements in the context of the day and overnight activity. If it looks steep, then I won't trade it. I don't have an indicator that I use, it's just a judgment call.

I am very confident with the setup. I would like to see more setups occur per day and per week but they don't. I sometimes won't even look at some of the markets based on the activity the day prior or overnight. There just isn't enough volatility. That leaves me with having to trade more contracts to make up for less opportunity. Otherwise +20-40 ticks per month doesn't yield a lot of money. The limiting factor on the markets that I trade is the number of contracts that can be filled. On the ES, raising contracts is not an issue, but with GC, CL and TF, over 20 contracts and there is slippage and lack of fills. Unfortunately, I have not had much success on the ES with this setup.

I am open to any question or comment that you have. I may not know the answer but I will do my best to respond.

tradethetick 
Irvine, CA

No trades today.

tradethetick 
Irvine, CA

June Results

6 Trades. 4 Wins / 2 Losses. Ratio: 66.67%. MTD: +41 ticks (per 1 lot).

Trade Breakdown:

+20 ticks, -11 ticks, +18 ticks, -12 ticks, +10 ticks, +16 ticks = +41 ticks

JTurner77
Los Angeles, CA

tradethetick View Post
I am not sure if I answered already or not. If not, then please accept my apologies.

I identify a trend by looking at the bars. I am looking for higher highs and higher lows for an uptrend and I am looking at lower lows and lower highs for a downtrend. I am looking back 3 or more bars.

To determine a steep trend, I am looking at the movement of the bars compared to prior movements in the context of the day and overnight activity. If it looks steep, then I won't trade it. I don't have an indicator that I use, it's just a judgment call.

I am very confident with the setup. I would like to see more setups occur per day and per week but they don't. I sometimes won't even look at some of the markets based on the activity the day prior or overnight. There just isn't enough volatility. That leaves me with having to trade more contracts to make up for less opportunity. Otherwise +20-40 ticks per month doesn't yield a lot of money. The limiting factor on the markets that I trade is the number of contracts that can be filled. On the ES, raising contracts is not an issue, but with GC, CL and TF, over 20 contracts and there is slippage and lack of fills. Unfortunately, I have not had much success on the ES with this setup.

I am open to any question or comment that you have. I may not know the answer but I will do my best to respond.

Interesting stuff.

I would never have guessed that you were using the previous three (to five?) bars to determine trend in a subjective fashion. When you say you are looking for higher high and higher lows in an uptrend, do you literally mean that each bar in succession must have a high high and higher low than the previous bar? Or is there some subjectivity to this as well?

In looking back over the trades you have posted, it appears you are using a variety of different time frames. Do you have specific time frames you are exclusively using/scanning?

Also, have you ever considered transferring this setup to a daily chart? The reason I ask is that one of the axioms we have all read in the books on trading is that the larger the time frame the greater the potential for larger moves (for and against us).

While your current set up leads to infrequent trading, it is tough to sneeze at 41 ticks ($410) per contract.

Why do you think your set up hasn't been fruitful with the ES?

tradethetick 
Irvine, CA

JTurner77 View Post
Interesting stuff.

I would never have guessed that you were using the previous three (to five?) bars to determine trend in a subjective fashion. When you say you are looking for higher high and higher lows in an uptrend, do you literally mean that each bar in succession must have a high high and higher low than the previous bar? Or is there some subjectivity to this as well?

In looking back over the trades you have posted, it appears you are using a variety of different time frames. Do you have specific time frames you are exclusively using/scanning?

Also, have you ever considered transferring this setup to a daily chart? The reason I ask is that one of the axioms we have all read in the books on trading is that the larger the time frame the greater the potential for larger moves (for and against us).

While your current set up leads to infrequent trading, it is tough to sneeze at 41 ticks ($410) per contract.

Why do you think your set up hasn't been fruitful with the ES?

Yes each bar in succession must have a higher low in an uptrend or a lower low in a downtrend. There is some subjectivity, such as inside bars and measuring bars, but for the most part the definition holds.

I use different timeframes based on volatility. Usually I look at 3 - 5 timeframes for the 3 markets.

Trading on the daily requires more risk. The setup works great on the daily and weekly charts but the risk is like 60 ticks for a 120 tick winner. I can stomach 10 - 20 ticks risk for 15 - 30 ticks of profit.

It is a solid setup but I would like to see more setups per week / month.

JTurner77
Los Angeles, CA

Can you provide greater detail on the manner in which your winning and losing trades behave after you put them on.

I am curious to know if your winning trades generally go into the green immediately and reach your profit target with minimal time spent in the red. Or if it is a struggle or grind at first with the market inching its way toward your profit target?

How do the losers act?

In my head it would seem that since you are basically getting stopped into a trade with the market sweeping you into your position (long or short) and that these are reversal trades that most of these entries move pretty quickly and without much stress.

And if this is true, I wonder if the losers sort of bounce around and exhibit different tendencies before getting stopped out.

Last Updated on February 2, 2015

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts