NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Underexposed - Canadian Stock Journal

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Underexposed with 471 posts (344 thanks)
    2. looks_two deaddog with 41 posts (11 thanks)
    3. looks_3 jackbravo with 20 posts (10 thanks)
    4. looks_4 bobwest with 16 posts (23 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one bobwest with 1.4 thanks per post
    2. looks_two ratfink with 0.8 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Underexposed with 0.7 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 deaddog with 0.3 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 80,646 views
    2. thumb_up 433 thanks given
    3. group 22 followers
    1. forum 609 posts
    2. attach_file 688 attachments

Search this Thread

Underexposed - Canadian Stock Journal

bobwest 
Western Florida
Site Moderator

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Sierra Chart
Trading: ES, YM
Frequency: Several times daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 57,343
Thanks Received: 26,267

Underexposed View Post
This is a weird market for a long term trader.... the rise and fall of the TSX is not conducive to long term holds... only swings as I see it right now.

Although weird, you have a good result and everything was done for sound reasons. More opportunities will come along.

Bob.

Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
Build trailing stop for micro index(s)
Psychology and Money Management
Futures True Range Report
The Elite Circle
New Micros: Ultra 10-Year & Ultra T-Bond -- Live Now
Treasury Notes and Bonds
Deepmoney LLM
Elite Quantitative GenAI/LLM

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
59 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
37 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
22 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
22 thanks
The Program
20 thanks
 Underexposed 
Calgary Alberta/Canada

bobwest View Post
Although weird, you have a good result and everything was done for sound reasons. More opportunities will come along.

Bob.

Thank you bob.... this is an experiment for me and I am following it in real life too where I am about 80% in cash now in my Canadian holdings. I have never done this before and have typically just hunkered down and tried to ride out the bad times (losing a lot of value on paper). Selling like this nearer the top of a run makes a lot of sense now and it does not mean I won't be back into these stocks again in the future.

And you are right...opportunities are for the finding in any financial market.

Here is the current status of the portfolio

Underexposed 
Calgary Alberta/Canada

Here is my chart for the end of the week

The very slight rise in cash comes from the dividend from NorthWest Healthcare REIT. Not much but everything helps

I am still sifting through opportunity but in the Canadian market we get hit over and over again with the drop in oil prices... today is a case in point ... the drop to $45/barrel today puts on the brink of a drop to $35 if it breaches this support.

I described my thoughts on this in another post today here:

Underexposed 
Calgary Alberta/Canada

I well I think I have found a stock worth putting money into...... Redknee Solutions Inc. [TSX:RKN]

It is a software company.... they bought the Nokia-Siemans systems business, 5X the size of their previous business apparently and have had trouble adjusting to the conversion.... but that seems to be behind them now with improved financials .

Here are the charts

P&F Chart

this is an ascending triple top which is quite bullish. There is a bit of a resistance at $4.25 but as you will see that is not serious.

the dotted red lines represent minor resistance that could trip up the forward progress but the serious resistance is higher up at $5.30... which if it makes it there would represent a 25% gain. Support is at $4.05

Trigger chart

This is a pretty good looking chart. It is in the beginnings of a breakout now. The Slow Sto and MACD have looked good for the past month while in consolidation.... Now the BBwidth is sharply rising... Bullish sign.

the price has breached the 200 daySMA in the breakout and it fell back from an attempt at $4.25... which is ok because to complete that breach would have left it above the upper bollie and I would be worried about a pullback.

Sentiment chart

this is a quite bullish chart... Force(100) is increasing... the RSI has increased its positive slope and the DI+/- is bullishly diverging.

Ichmoku chart

Another bullish chart....we are high above the clouds with the thin blue line above the red at a high slope. The Onbal Volume has increased an already positive slope and the CCI has returned to bullish

Conclusion

These charts could not be more bullish. I will make a purchase and watch it closely.... it might be only a short term swing or develop into something longer...who knows at this point

On Monday March 15, I shall place a Buy order for 3000 shares at a limit price of $4.17/share I will place this order about 15 mins after the bell and may get it a bit cheaper if it falls

Underexposed 
Calgary Alberta/Canada

this is a stock on my watch list.... Toromont Industries Ltd. [TIH:TSX]

this is a head scratcher.... a company into heavy equipment sales and the only Caterpillar dealer in Ontario.... Apparently its biggest customer sector is mining....specifically gold mining.... these are depressed markets but as you can see from the charts below it has been rising like an Energizer Bunny.

The trigger chart looks ready to trip but the MACD is falling so that causes caution within me... the slow Sto is fine though. The BBwidth took another leap down.... the direction will be revealed before the end of the week.

Just a watch at present

Underexposed 
Calgary Alberta/Canada

Underexposed View Post

On Monday March 15, I shall place a Buy order for 3000 shares at a limit price of $4.17/share I will place this order about 15 mins after the bell and may get it a bit cheaper if it falls

this is my announcement for Redknee Solutions Inc [TSX:RKN]

so I logged on this morning and this was the opening intra-day chart

You can see the stock opened at the same value that it closed at $4.15 at decent volume of about 13,000 shares ... dipped to $4.14 and rose again so I will assume my order was filled at $4.15 for 3000 shares of RKN.TO

So now I have a stock portfolio again... more stocks to come....

Underexposed 
Calgary Alberta/Canada

Here is the status this week so far

Redknee Solutions [RKN.TO] is doing quite well, as expected from the chart previously shown.

The price of Gold took a jump today as can be seen in the following chart

I am seriously considering the purchase of Lakeshore Gold yet again... it jumped nice today... if gold rises again like this LSG.TO will take off.......

I will be watching closely at the beginning of the trading day

Underexposed 
Calgary Alberta/Canada

Ok...I did buy LSG.TO... I just posted it in the wrong Journal.... I posted it in my American journal {sigh}

Here is a copy of the post from the other journal

Quoting 
Ok ... I'll admit it... I have yellow fever...Gold that is.

I have played this sucker so often but only recently have I made money on it... I think playing it for a shorter term in the key.

First of all Gold is on a bit of a surge as can be seen in the following chart

It is about time in my opinion for a turn around in this metal... It did not reach recent lows and has shot back. This Hourly chart shows the turn around... I can see it falling back when it hits $1200/oz but I believe it will be at least testing that area.

Here is the Point and Figure on Gold EOD prices

Here you can see the resistance barrier I see before it's rise from $1190 - $1205... if this were a stock I would say the effort was not worth it... However we are not investing in the commodity... we will be investing in a volatile stock that performs well to a rising gold price.... Our friend LakeShore Gold [TSX:LSG]

Well here is the P&F on LSG. This is not a perfect Resistance/Support range.... there are minor resistances before that line but I think they will easily fall if Gold rushes to $1200... so if we grab $0.07 on a swing trade in the next week or so.... that is a 7% gain.... if gold carries on past $1200 we will see more gains

The Slow Sto and MACD look fine... the BBwidth has not turned down yet... it is thinking about it. If it turns down that is ok...we would be in consolidation and the Slo Sto and MACD look fine.... Similarly if the BBwidth rises... with the slopes of the other 2 indicators rising that would be a breakout.... also good

The only problem would be a downturn in the Slow Sto and MACD... then we are out of the pool.... you see us stumbling between the 50 and 200 SMA.... that is good IMHO it will hold the price til I finish this post

the Force (100) is rising as is the RSI... the DI +/- looks promising too.

Conclusion

Here is the current L2 chart

I believe the price will fall as the MACD is showing a fall.

I am going to purchase 10000 shares of LSG.TO at $1.04/share in a limit order

EDIT...10 mins or so later

As you can see the share price fell to $1.04 a couple of times in the last 10 mins ( this is on 3 min avgs...)

So the order is assumed to be completed.

There that is put to right....

Underexposed 
Calgary Alberta/Canada

Ok.... I guess I was excited about gold when I posted that last discussion in the wrong place...hahaha

Well things seem to be coming around a bit the downturn starting in Feb appears to be leveling off to me so I will be revisiting old favourites and looking for new opportunities... It is a bit more difficult for Canadian stocks as I don't have that StockFetcher.com query site to work with as I do in my American thread (man that was a sweet way to get underway there...I wandered around like Moses in the desert in the 2 months prior to using that tool )

We are back on track to profitability now as can be seen in the status below

The addition of Lakeshore Gold may be a swing trade or a home run.... hard to tell at this point... but I am looking for about a 5-7% gain in the next couple of weeks.

Good trading

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 33,173
Thanks Received: 101,539

Are all of these trades real cash?

Mike

We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

Last Updated on March 21, 2015

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts