NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Underexposed - Canadian Stock Journal

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Underexposed with 471 posts (344 thanks)
    2. looks_two deaddog with 41 posts (11 thanks)
    3. looks_3 jackbravo with 20 posts (10 thanks)
    4. looks_4 bobwest with 16 posts (23 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one bobwest with 1.4 thanks per post
    2. looks_two ratfink with 0.8 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Underexposed with 0.7 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 deaddog with 0.3 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 81,733 views
    2. thumb_up 433 thanks given
    3. group 22 followers
    1. forum 609 posts
    2. attach_file 688 attachments

Underexposed - Canadian Stock Journal

Underexposed 
Calgary Alberta/Canada

{sigh} I guess I will have to live with this jump in price...Such a problem!!!

Here is a combined Daily and intra-day look

Is this run ending??? Look at the chart on the left....the daily chart. Look at the MACD and BBWidth charts in the blue circle...there is NO curl at the tips...the run ends when these two indicators reverse their direction. The Slow sto can stay put above 80 for a long time indicating bullish interest even if the other two charts fall.

I still don't like the share price daily candles so high above the upper BB....why? because with them so high the crashing end could be swift and deep. BUT NOT TODAY....

there probably will be a pullback ...you can see that potentially happening right now in the intra-day side. If you are a day trader this is not the time to particularly jump in .... that time was at the bell and followed it while the blue signal line of the intra-day was above the MACD line....yes it went higher but you would need more tools than I show here to figure that out.

From a day trader POV the time to get in is when/if that blue signal line on the MACD recrosses that MACD line...which could happen.

Another good day....from a long term trader POV I again must decide at the end of the day whether there will be a big pullback tomorrow.... if it does this jump again tomorrow, I will probably track it and sell at the top since it cannot be above the upper Bollie too much longer.

Good trading

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
Trade idea based off three indicators.
Traders Hideout
How to apply profiles
Traders Hideout

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Spoo-nalysis ES e-mini futures S&P 500
45 thanks
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
31 thanks
Bigger Wins or Fewer Losses?
24 thanks
Tao te Trade: way of the WLD
24 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
22 thanks

jackbravo 
SF, CA/USA

Experience: Beginner
Platform: SC
Broker: Stage 5
Trading: NQ...uh..ES actually
Thanks Given: 4,362
Thanks Received: 2,400

Underexposed View Post

As a long term trader I want to see steady gains... not large swings.

that's an interesting perspective
your chart analysis is very interesting. i haven't seen you use the quad chart for intra-day analysis. would it work as well?

Underexposed 
Calgary Alberta/Canada

jackbravo View Post
that's an interesting perspective
your chart analysis is very interesting. i haven't seen you use the quad chart for intra-day analysis. would it work as well?

Thank you for the comment and question

You can ask most long term traers about my comment and I think they would agree.

It is an accident when one of our stocks takes off like a rocket. We don't go looking for them. But all rockets hit the ground if they don't escape gravity.... So when one of our stocks takes off like Badger Daylighting making 25% in 3 days if we are not vigilant that gain for 3 days could be lost in 3 more days.

I am not really acting as a long term trader on this website. Because I am journaling here and describing what I do I basically look at all of my stocks on a daily basis....even my real portfolios (of which I also have BAD.TO). Normally I ignore my holdings for most of the week doing a status update (similar to the mid week/ end of week status as I show here) at the close of each week's trading. As a result I could miss such an event if I acted as I normally would have.

I juggle a lot more stocks in the air than the four, I show, here in real life. It is difficult to follow 50 plus watchlists daily and still have a life ... at least the life I want.

The quadrant analysis chart that I have developed came about as a desire to visually see the status of my holdings and watch lists. It only takes 2 minutes to update 20 + stocks this way.

Here is a USA watch list of stocks that are high pennies (above $1 but below $5).... this is only the summary page of 8 of them....the rest of the charts are below.

the circles are an indication of where that chart ended on the last update so you can see how the chart has changed since the last time you checked things out. each arrow is not a simple day on day creation.

After 2 minutes of updates I have this entire watchlist updated as I like it. (you can see at the bottom other stocks but I am only showing the summary of 8 of them here.

Now look at SilverCorp Metals.... see it pegging into the BuLL quadrant.

Here is the page devoted to that stock

You can see the basic data from which all these charts are calculated but I have hidden what I do to get them...I am not prepared to discuss that.

The right contains a stripped down version of a trigger chart that I would use in a detailed analysis. From this simple chart I can see that the stock price has been falling for some time and it has bottomed out (red circle) and is on the rise..... if you have followed how I create my trigger chart (and if you haven't I suggest you do it is good reading ) you will know that this could be just a rest....not a bottom but the green circled area shows a rising MACD and Slow Sto which is encouraging.

So on the basis of this I might want to investigate this stock more with a complete analysis.

I intend to make a workbook of Canadian Indices... then I can shorten my searches something like this

quad Workbook of TSX indices => Index A... Index B... Index C ................
......................................................................... |
........................................................ quad analysis of Index B => Stock A ...Stock B... Stock C......
......................................................................................................................................... |
......................................................................................................................................... |
............................................................................................................................... detailed analysis

I am not set up that way but that is the idea... an alerting system that rapidly homes in on sectors/stocks that interest me on criteria that I have defined

Back at that last chart next to the "trigger chart" I plan to have idiot light alerts based on my TA criteria. I will be able to have exactly what I want...not make do with something someone else dreamed up that is contrary to what I like to do.

to address that last question of yours

I have never applied this quad analysis to intraday trading. I use about 200 daily records when I do this analysis so if you were using 5 mins charts I would require 200-5 min intervals or 1000 mins or 16 hours of h/l/c vol data. It has to be easily and automatically downloadable using excel and I do not have access to such a data source.

It is an interesting extension of this idea but I am still working on improving this for daily data.... right now.

Thank you for the interest and reading my journal.

jackbravo 
SF, CA/USA

Experience: Beginner
Platform: SC
Broker: Stage 5
Trading: NQ...uh..ES actually
Thanks Given: 4,362
Thanks Received: 2,400

Underexposed View Post
Thank you for the comment and question

You can ask most long term traers about my comment and I think they would agree.

It is an accident when one of our stocks takes off like a rocket. We don't go looking for them. But all rockets hit the ground if they don't escape gravity.... So when one of our stocks takes off like Badger Daylighting making 25% in 3 days if we are not vigilant that gain for 3 days could be lost in 3 more days.

I am not really acting as a long term trader on this website. Because I am journaling here and describing what I do I basically look at all of my stocks on a daily basis....even my real portfolios (of which I also have BAD.TO). Normally I ignore my holdings for most of the week doing a status update (similar to the mid week/ end of week status as I show here) at the close of each week's trading. As a result I could miss such an event if I acted as I normally would have.

I juggle a lot more stocks in the air than the four, I show, here in real life. It is difficult to follow 50 plus watchlists daily and still have a life ... at least the life I want.

The quadrant analysis chart that I have developed came about as a desire to visually see the status of my holdings and watch lists. It only takes 2 minutes to update 20 + stocks this way.

Here is a USA watch list of stocks that are high pennies (above $1 but below $5).... this is only the summary page of 8 of them....the rest of the charts are below.

the circles are an indication of where that chart ended on the last update so you can see how the chart has changed since the last time you checked things out. each arrow is not a simple day on day creation.

After 2 minutes of updates I have this entire watchlist updated as I like it. (you can see at the bottom other stocks but I am only showing the summary of 8 of them here.

Now look at SilverCorp Metals.... see it pegging into the BuLL quadrant.

Here is the page devoted to that stock

You can see the basic data from which all these charts are calculated but I have hidden what I do to get them...I am not prepared to discuss that.

The right contains a stripped down version of a trigger chart that I would use in a detailed analysis. From this simple chart I can see that the stock price has been falling for some time and it has bottomed out (red circle) and is on the rise..... if you have followed how I create my trigger chart (and if you haven't I suggest you do it is good reading ) you will know that this could be just a rest....not a bottom but the green circled area shows a rising MACD and Slow Sto which is encouraging.

So on the basis of this I might want to investigate this stock more with a complete analysis.

I intend to make a workbook of Canadian Indices... then I can shorten my searches something like this

quad Workbook of TSX indices => Index A... Index B... Index C ................
........................................................ quad analysis of Index B => Stock A ...Stock B... Stock C......
............................................................................................................................... detailed analysis

I am not set up that way but that is the idea... an alerting system that rapidly homes in on sectors/stocks that interest me on criteria that I have defined

Back at that last chart next to the "trigger chart" I plan to have idiot light alerts based on my TA criteria. I will be able to have exactly what I want...not make do with something someone else dreamed up that is contrary to what I like to do.

to address that last question of yours

I have never applied this quad analysis to intraday trading. I use about 200 daily records when I do this analysis so if you were using 5 mins charts I would require 200-5 min intervals or 1000 mins or 16 hours of h/l/c vol data. It has to be easily and automatically downloadable using excel and I do not have access to such a data source.

It is an interesting extension of this idea but I am still working on improving this for daily data.... right now.

Thank you for the interest and reading my journal.

Thanks for sharing. Your method is fascinating. I've used MACD but haven't really been able to use it with effectiveness. I'm using stochastics for intraday, and have been watching it after reading your method. There's a lot of nuances to it based on range/trends, so I'm still learning about it. Again, thanks for sharing your methods.

Underexposed 
Calgary Alberta/Canada

jackbravo View Post
Thanks for sharing. Your method is fascinating. I've used MACD but haven't really been able to use it with effectiveness. I'm using stochastics for intraday, and have been watching it after reading your method. There's a lot of nuances to it based on range/trends, so I'm still learning about it. Again, thanks for sharing your methods.

well if you are unsatisfied with traditional interpretation of MACD, read my development of my so-called "trigger chart". you may find this very interesting if you have not already done so.

Ask questions if you wish....I have no problem with questions on my charts....they help me as much as they will for you.

Underexposed 
Calgary Alberta/Canada

well.... another day and this makes me another almost 5%. It has me worried about a big pullback coming. We are above the upper BB for 3 days...so it could happen anytime now.

today is almost a carbon copy of two days ago.

I WANT this stock to move sideways for 2 days until it is back inside the BB envelope. If it moves sideways or with a very slight positive slope the bull run will probably continue. If it drops suddenly, the run is over with even more declines to come.

So I will watch this like a hawk again tomorrow....if it rises again like today I will use a trailing Limited Stop-loss to follow it. I won't enter it now as I don't want a short spike to sell my stock. I have a lot of "house money" to play with after 3 days of solid gains....I can afford a small pullback especially were it to rise again.

Take care....time to do other stuff now.

Good Trading

Underexposed 
Calgary Alberta/Canada

well I slept in and this is the result for Badger Daylighting

As you can see the stock spiked to $33.50 at the bell... I would have never caught that and it has been falling steadily..... time to sell??? Nopes, it has fallen back but is still 11 cents above yesterday and leveling out. time to watch right now

Underexposed 
Calgary Alberta/Canada

Several traders ask me about what is my target for a stock. As a long term trader you don't really have one. Who knows how high a bull run will take the price or when the stock will fall in the future?

In lieu of a "target" I look at support/resistance levels. Resistance levels are a target of sorts. It identifies an area where a stock should have difficulty passing. Supports identify a line which crossed would indicate a decline will continue and a reversal is doubtful.

it is a bit like climbing a ladder...do let us see what BAD.to's "ladder looks like

You see the current resistance is right where the stock price is right now near $33.00. Aside for the top of the "X" column to the left we have crossed this line once today already and it pulled back under. I don't think this will be a serious resistance....the band ahead of that $35 - $36 individually these are weak lines but in total this should be reasonably strong.... That dotted line at $38.00 is stronger and if we pass that line....well...life would be good

The level at $31 is a reasonably strong support....I would not sell this stock unless it fell through this level.

That is of course over and above if the Stock price really spiked high....this morning was a nice spike but not enough to sell on.

Underexposed 
Calgary Alberta/Canada

Well I got my wish....the share price is moving sideways into the Bollies.

Remember that $33.00 resistance I saw in the P&F chart 2 posts ago.... well I looked at my trigger chart with a 200daySMA and look at that....the freaken' 200day SMA is acting as the resistance. I don't really consider such lines as serious resistance but they can slow things down a bit. See how we are now straddling the upper BB....now look at the Slow Sto....pegged above 80.... the slopes of the MACD and BBwidth are still fine and strong.

So even a few cents more decline won't harm our position here. I would say tomorrow would be another bullish day but I would say we only have a couple more days to go until this share price decides to end the current run and then we will go seriously into sideways consolidation while the BBwidth falls (the BB's tighten) there (when the bb's are tight) we would watch and try to determine a future direction....but that is the future....if we rise above $33.00 and stay there til tomorrow we might reach $35.00 (next resistance) before the consolidation starts.

OMG...look what 15 minutes has done....this is what I don't like about daytrading....look at the action when I take my eye off the chart for 15 minutes while typing this message.

See the price spike above the upper bollies....did not last long, did they? That is why when this happens and if you cannot buy before and take advantage of that spike and sell.... you just say OMG will you look at that and watch.... don't get sucked into buying in when the stock price is a way over the upper BB....they always pull back and you are a loser..... shut your ears if you are on a pumper website and they are screaming "I am backing up the truck and loading up!" "this puppy is headed for a 3 bagger!!!" this are guys that purchased the stock BEFORE the jump and want action to unload their holdings before it falls...DON'T be one of those that are Born Everyday

That applies to daily charts as well as intra-day.

Does this mean nothing to me though....not at all....makes me feel good about tomorrow......that's me for the day.

Got more things to do

Good trading

Underexposed 
Calgary Alberta/Canada

Well as you will see this is another great week started. We are far above the last high for this fantasy portfolio of almost 9% to its present value of almost 11%

Overall I am happy with this suite of stocks but I am getting concerned about Lundin Mining [TSX:LUN]

when I run my quadrant analysis on this stock I see a trend forming to move out of the bullish zone

the price has had a sudden down turn as you can see. But it could be nothing more than a consolidation phase following a bull run....what typically happens there is the share price tends to the 20daySMA. But this would put us in a negative situation and now I have the tool to avoid this....in the past I did not.

Here is a look at the intra-day chart

the price dipped to about $5.40.... I will tolerate a penny less. The 50daySMA is providing some support at this level

I will set a Limit Stop Loss order for the 3000shares in the range of $2.37 - $2.39

I am giving it a chance recover....I have better places for that money if it trips the sell orderl

Good trading

Last Updated on March 21, 2015

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts