NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Underexposed - Canadian Stock Journal

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Underexposed with 471 posts (344 thanks)
    2. looks_two deaddog with 41 posts (11 thanks)
    3. looks_3 jackbravo with 20 posts (10 thanks)
    4. looks_4 bobwest with 16 posts (23 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one bobwest with 1.4 thanks per post
    2. looks_two ratfink with 0.8 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Underexposed with 0.7 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 deaddog with 0.3 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 81,617 views
    2. thumb_up 433 thanks given
    3. group 22 followers
    1. forum 609 posts
    2. attach_file 688 attachments

Search this Thread

Underexposed - Canadian Stock Journal

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 33,215
Thanks Received: 101,602

Hi @Underexposed,

You have 562 posts and 363 thanks received, that's actually a very strong number and it means your posts are well received.

Sorry you didn't get more discussion.

Mike

We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
PowerLanguage & EasyLanguage. How to get the platfor …
EasyLanguage Programming
MC PL editor upgrade
MultiCharts
Trade idea based off three indicators.
Traders Hideout
REcommedations for programming help
Sierra Chart
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
31 thanks
Spoo-nalysis ES e-mini futures S&P 500
28 thanks
Tao te Trade: way of the WLD
24 thanks
Bigger Wins or Fewer Losses?
20 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
17 thanks
 Underexposed 
Calgary Alberta/Canada

Well I guess I I might have made a mistake about viewership. I have been away from this site for a week now but a check if the number of views shows almost a 10% increase over that period.

I returned here to update the status of the portfolio I started here back in Feb/14. The only significant change has been that the stop-loss on Lakeshore gold finally tripped and that stock sold. But without that stock, turned boat anchor I made about a 1% gain this last week.

Gold is falling again...headed for $1000/oz IMHO....Lakeshore gold [TSX:LSG] as well as Sandstrom Gold [TSX:SSL] are tied at the hip to this commodity...I have placed both on a watchlist along with gold itself.

here is the update

In previous posts I said I was working on a spread sheet for which I download and analyze financial data. It is working out really well now.

this is a screen shot of Toronto Dominion Bank. It shows the quadrant chart that I have developed as well as elements of my "trigger chart"... the beauty of this worksheet is that I have complete control in setting up alerts the way I want them...I am at the stage of implementing those procedures now. So far on one spreadsheet I can update 25 worksheets of stocks in 2 minutes....I have not found the limit yet on the number of worksheets I can use....eventually I will have different workbooks for different watch lists....this is very exciting for me and something I wanted to do for years...I just found the key recently.

for comparison here is a sharpchart of TD.to....as you can see the Slow Sto , MACD and BBwidth in my version are pretty close in formation....good enough to make decisions on.

I won't post here regularly. I will answer questions periodically when asked in this journal. Seeing the readership of this journal after I left makes me feel good. I will regularly post every Friday for updates.

Thank you for reading....I find I do need this journal.

Underexposed 
Calgary Alberta/Canada

things are moving well with more modifications to the new chart of mine.

I have about $30,000.00 in cash available in my fantasy account

Here are my support charts

Normally I would not pull the trigger and buy until I saw a sharp upturn to the BBwidth but looking at the sharp chart that looks to be possible soon

You will note that in my quadrant chart this stock is bullish for 3 data points, this combined with the trigger setup suggests I buy in now

Effective Monday Nov 3 at the bell I will try to Buy 500 shares of Badger Daylighting [TSX:BAD] @ $27.70/share.

we shall see what happens as a result of this purchase.

matevisky 
Nelson, New Zealand

Experience: Beginner
Thanks Given: 633
Thanks Received: 1,533

Dear @Underexposed ,

This is kind of thread what keeps me reminding:
- There is a much higher level of trading, what I am right now trying to do
- There is always have a bigger picture, bigger player, bigger perspective
- Great thing to know why the market is moves big

But also because of the topic, and because of a level of your knowing about this topic, it is super hard to create any comment, only to check it what you are doing.

I really hope that I will have a chance some year later to better understand your thread, till that time, I am just checking here regularly, amezed the chart and a level of detail what you are using, and wishing myself to be here one day! Please keep it up, if it is every friday, than it is, if it is every month, than it is... but please continue!

Máté
Full time trader Live journal here
Thanked by:

jackbravo 
SF, CA/USA

Experience: Beginner
Platform: SC
Broker: Stage 5
Trading: NQ...uh..ES actually
Thanks Given: 4,362
Thanks Received: 2,400

that's a very innovative chart type. i wish you success with it. i wonder if you can adapt to other instruments such as options.

Thanked by:
 Underexposed 
Calgary Alberta/Canada

matevisky View Post
Dear @Underexposed ,

But also because of the topic, and because of a level of your knowing about this topic, it is super hard to create any comment, only to check it what you are doing.

I really hope that I will have a chance some year later to better understand your thread, till that time

First of all, thanks for your comment....it is really appreciated

Secondly, it may look like this is hard to understand but it really isn't once you see how the charts can be used. That is why questions are vital to learning. It too me 10 years to arrive at where I am today with charts but that is because I was making my own interpretations on normal charts. I would try things and some would work and some would fail. I would build upon the successes and set the failures aside....I never throw them away 100% since there was a reason why I tried that approach in the first place and somethings I would revisit them to see if there was something I could salvage.

Now... when I look at a chart, important things stand out for me and it only takes a minute or so to come to a decision....whereas when I started I would spend 20-30 mins looking for clues to the mystery of a particular chart. Newbies to looking at charts the way I do would be also looking at charts this way...

Thirdly, your misunderstanding of what I do is NOT YOUR FAULT. It is my fault, as I am usually only highlighting the "important" features that I see in a chart. I am not talking about everything.

This is why questions are important from the reader. A question from a reader is never a dumb question on charting...that question is often in the mid of other readers. Sometimes I miss things in my quick analysis, sometimes the viewer sees something that I have never thought of before. In the past, this is how I progressed in my learning to read charts. People asked questions that sometimes cause me to re-think the way I do things.

That is why I have been frustrated here often....I love charting questions.

jackbravo View Post
that's a very innovative chart type. i wish you success with it. i wonder if you can adapt to other instruments such as options.

I am very excited about using this Quadrant chart. I am keeping how it is constructed under wraps now but I will talk a lot about how I intend to use it and your question is helpful in that regard

This is a swing/long term chart for stocks. The quadrant chart has about 18 months of historical data...I suppose it could be 18 or so hours of minute open/high/low/close/volume but I don't have access to such data. I get my info from Yahoo Financial .

Also since I don't do Options perhaps the chart as it exists could be useful...but you would have to explain what you are looking for.

Let me explain how I am using the charts I showed in the last post

here are the charts for the previous post I made

1. this shows the quadrant chart for the stock or index

2. this is nothing more than a smoothed version of my "trigger chart" as I show below.

3. This is where I will be adding alerts. If you have been following my past posts you will know that I have "rules" with respect to predicting the movement of a share price. Now that I have the raw data I can hard code those rules and create a buy/hold/sell/watch system that I "totally understand" there are many idiot light systems out there but they won't tell you anything that makes those lights go on....I will know exactly what is going on..... this is still a work in progress.

Now....IS THIS A DECISION MAKING SYSTEM????

Not at all....all final decisions will be made on the basis of a normal complete TA that I normally do.

But the trick is....that one the worst times it takes me only 2 minutes to download and process the data for 12 different stocks (I still don't know the limits on Excel on how many pages of stocks I can have). I then present a summary page like the one you see below

This is a summary of indices of the Toronto Stock Exchange and where historical data does not exist I use the numbers of ETFs that are based on the indices.

At a glance, I can see the ones that are currently bullish. I would then have workbooks that are built around a particular index with the stocks associated with that index with a similar summary page to see which stocks are performing.

I can ignore those stocks until I see its sector performing.

The columns between the charts will be used to display the alerts that I will generate on the main sheet.

Using this approach I can watch hundreds of stocks and indices....something that was too tiresome for me in the past.

Anyway, that is the approach and aims I have for this quadrant analysis....it is a watch tool on a mega scale

Good Trading

PS: I did get my Badger Daylight [TSX:BAD] at $27.70 this morning...it is in my fantasy portfolio and my real portfolio as well now at that price.....my first pick on that basis. Badger is a great company, I have owned them in the past....thay have a fleet of vacuum trucks, very useful in the oil patch as well as city use.

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

I'm sure you covered this but I can't remember. Are these trades cash or sim?

Sent from my phone

Underexposed 
Calgary Alberta/Canada

Big Mike View Post
I'm sure you covered this but I can't remember. Are these trades cash or sim?

Sent from my phone

I NEVER use simulators...simulators are for beginners and IMHO useless as far as learning how to trade.

Why test or trade in a Simulator mode when you have real data to work with??

As you saw in the post I made on Sunday, I announced why I was putting in a bid for Badgerdaylighting and at what price I would set my limit bid at the bell

Here is the 5 minute chart for today and Friday

As you see the share price opened at $27.85 climbed into the $27.90's before it came down to $27.70 and passed through that level to $28.65 in the first hour....in the next 2 hours it bounced on or around $27.70 several times

I consider in this phantom portfolio that I have had my bid filled if the share price passes at leasr once in the day...in this case it did it several times.

In fact, in reality Some of those transactions were my real transactions as in truth I made some small purchases at that level.

As further proof, I use current charts at the time I make decisions and Sharpcharts and Bigcharts do not do any charts on any simulations to my knowledge.

I shun simulations as they are only based on pseudo-reality IMHO...you cannot devise a stock investment approach on their basis.

The new chart I am working on IS based on real EOD data....not sim

Thanks for asking as I guess many would have that question.

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

OK, so cash yes?

Sent from my phone

tturner86 
Portland, Oregon

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: F-16CM-40
Trading: GBU-39
Thanks Given: 10,459
Thanks Received: 12,695

Underexposed View Post
I well set up a spreadsheet where I will allocate myself $100,000 worth of play money. It is not an overly complicated spreadsheet but for the newbie it might give you an idea of how to create one for themselves. I will divide that money into use in 5 sectors ($20,000 each) and select companies in each. I like a minimum of 1000 shares in stocks under $20/share and 500 shares for stocks in the $21-$40/share...I find I don't make money trading for lesser amounts of shares.

Big Mike View Post
OK, so cash yes?

Sent from my phone

It's paper, not cash.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

Last Updated on March 21, 2015

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts