NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Underexposed - Canadian Stock Journal

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Underexposed with 471 posts (344 thanks)
    2. looks_two deaddog with 41 posts (11 thanks)
    3. looks_3 jackbravo with 20 posts (10 thanks)
    4. looks_4 bobwest with 16 posts (23 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one bobwest with 1.4 thanks per post
    2. looks_two ratfink with 0.8 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Underexposed with 0.7 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 deaddog with 0.3 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 80,646 views
    2. thumb_up 433 thanks given
    3. group 22 followers
    1. forum 609 posts
    2. attach_file 688 attachments

Search this Thread

Underexposed - Canadian Stock Journal

Underexposed 
Calgary Alberta/Canada

Well I have been doing this for about 2 complete months now and IMHO this is typical of long term trading. At least it is typical of my experience.

There are ups and downs in individual stocks and as long as they are not out of line you tolerate dips and in some instances you even may add to them on the dips if you believe that whatever caused the dip is an overreaction. For the most part though I prefer to ride out the dips just in case the fall is real and continuing.

I prefer to add shares to a stock that is rising in price. It is usually safer that way.

the objective is to move forward as collective effort...it is slow steady gains. Personally I am happy with a gain of 5 - 7 percent on the year....After paying off my living expenses of food/shelter/clothing and entertainment

As you can see we have about a $5700 (5.7%)gain after 2 months...if this trend continues we will make about $35,000 for the year. So I guess what I am saying if you want to live on the money you make from the Market you would have to make a much larger return. In other words, $100,000 while it sounds like a lot of money...it is small potatoes if you are using the returns from this initial poke to live off of.

Now don't get me wrong....this is a very healthy nest egg to build upon for retirement....but If you are wise you will let this nest egg grow untouched until you earn a lot more money in returns. I know I am preaching to the converted here but there are a lot of 20-somes that think they can make a fortune in the Market and I suppose a few do but most don't....so to those just starting out....establish your career, earn your money, learn HOW TO INVEST and build your retirement nest egg. It took me 20 years of study to get to the point where I felt I could abandon working for a living at 54 and retire....never regretted that learning process....Still continuing actually If you are smart the only time you stop learning is when you are dead

Here is a complete reveal of the transactions and status over the last 2 months. I have carved the spreadsheet into pieces for this purpose.

Actually I noticed I did not update the date on the sheet which is Noon MST Apr 23/14

Sorry about the sermon.....just feeling pensive today

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Futures True Range Report
The Elite Circle
New Micros: Ultra 10-Year & Ultra T-Bond -- Live Now
Treasury Notes and Bonds
Deepmoney LLM
Elite Quantitative GenAI/LLM
The space time continuum and the dynamics of a financial …
Emini and Emicro Index
NexusFi Journal Challenge - April 2024
Feedback and Announcements

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
61 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
39 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
26 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
18 thanks
The Program
18 thanks
 Underexposed 
Calgary Alberta/Canada

I have 2 gold stocks in this portfolio....B2Gold which is a pretty decent gold mine and Sandstorm Gold which is a financial company which invests in mines that are going into final pre-production, taking a revenues stream from the new mines.

Both stocks rise and fall with the price of gold and that has been frustrating for me. The psychology of gold baffles me at times...it is not exactly the best of times economically and world tensions are high in Europe and the gold price continues to fall. WTF!!!

right now we have seen a test of the support at $1280...all of the diagonal supports I have shown before have tumbled we only have a bearish diagonal resistance left.

I am not that confident that the $1280 support will hold but even if it does that red diagonal support will reach the support by early May and a descending triangle is not the most bullish wedge

As a result I am going to put Limit Stop Losses on BTO.TO and SSL.TO as follows:

B2gold Corp [TSX:BTO] set limit stop-loss for 4000 shares with a limit range from $3.14 - $3.16 per share
Sandstorm Gold [TSX:SSL] set limit stop-loss for 2500 shares with a limit range from $5.75 - $5.77 per share

currently BTO.TO is $3.20 and SSL.to is $5.92 per share so there is a little wiggle room for them to recover...I have some O&G stocks in mind if they do sell.

I am fed up with gold...

Underexposed 
Calgary Alberta/Canada

Well that did not take long...B2Gold [TSX:BTO] fell by the end of the day.

not too bad....at least we showed some profit for the 2 months we had the stock. If Gold ever takes off....IF!!!... then I will re-buy B2Gold again as I feel it is the best gold mine for the money.

As can be seen there is about $13,000 in available cash, I have an O&G stock in mind but also I like the 6% rise of Silvercorp Mining in the last few days.

I am thinking it would be fine to add another 1000 shares to SVM.TO in addition to the O&G stock....I shall think on this for a while and probably come to a decision tomorrow.

It would not surprise me if Gold took off now....would serve me right. The share price of B2gold fell exactly to where my stop loss limit was set....very tough to gauge the direction of the price of gold and most gold mine stocks depend on that price.

I like the performance of Lundin Mining [TSX:Lun]...I am glad I bought back into this stock....as can be seen from this chart the share price has cleared and closes above a MAJOR resistance which should result in a MAJOR support now

My target price for this stock NOW is something around $6.90 - $7.00...if it reaches that level then a further analysis would be made then to see if further gains are possible.

later

ratfink 
Birmingham UK
Market Wizard

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: TST/Rithmic
Trading: YM/Gold
Thanks Given: 17,423
Thanks Received: 8,425

Underexposed View Post
I am fed up with gold...

Sadly the prospect of debt-destruction-deflation still remains in the wings until they can either legislate it away or replace it with blood, usual story. Could be a long haul.

Appreciate the posts, cheers.

Travel Well
Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
 Underexposed 
Calgary Alberta/Canada

ratfink View Post
Sadly the prospect of debt-destruction-deflation still remains in the wings until they can either legislate it away or replace it with blood, usual story. Could be a long haul.

Appreciate the posts, cheers.

Thank you for the feedback.

It never fails...you stand by a stock/commodity to the bitter end expecting a turnaround then you set a limit ...draw a line in the sand....the price falls to that limit and triggers a sale then rebounds again. This time it did it to a phantom portfolio {sigh}...though I did take the same decision in my real portfolio too.

B2Gold is up 6 cents to $3.20 at this moment and the price of Gold has risen to $1302....so if you look at that FinViz graphic in my post #122 it is now approaching the diagonal resistance line...it is approaching the apex of that triangle...a big move is lurking there soon.

Edit: Actually I just checked my real holdings on B2Gold...I actually set my limit 5cents lower than this phantom portfolio so I still own the stock...hah! Maybe I should make decisions like this more often It does not really matter here as I have a good O&G stock to go to here...will talk about this shortly

ratfink 
Birmingham UK
Market Wizard

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: TST/Rithmic
Trading: YM/Gold
Thanks Given: 17,423
Thanks Received: 8,425

Underexposed View Post
Thank you for the feedback.

It never fails...you stand by a stock/commodity to the bitter end expecting a turnaround then you set a limit ...draw a line in the sand....the price falls to that limit and triggers a sale then rebounds again. This time it did it to a phantom portfolio {sigh}...though I did take the same decision in my real portfolio too.

B2Gold is up 6 cents to $3.20 at this moment and the price of Gold has risen to $1302....so if you look at that FinViz graphic in my post #122 it is now approaching the diagonal resistance line...it is approaching the apex of that triangle...a big move is lurking there soon.

You're welcome. I hold and always will hold some physical, but feel like a tosser for not dumping half of it above 1800. Got 600 drop to my original buy price spare left, in which case it definitely stays in the box for the kids. My fear is that the deflation scenario is still ultra-real and we're only around the end of an abc W2, in which case a large drop is still more likely than a large rise. I hope (eugh, tells you what I really think) that I'm dead wrong and we get another Gann cycle breakout, but remain unconvinced either way and still feel the need to hedge with something in addition to cash. Have a good weekend.

Travel Well
Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
 Underexposed 
Calgary Alberta/Canada

ratfink View Post
You're welcome. I hold and always will hold some physical, but feel like a tosser for not dumping half of it above 1800.....

Well I'll join the tosser club with you. I have 2 x 1 oz wafers in a safety deposit box than I bought over 25 years ago for about $300/oz...I sit on them like you...just in case everything falls apart in the financial world.

But I am rethinking this a bit...

If the unmentionable happens what do I do with a one oz wafer worth something like $1500 or more Who Knows how much???

How do I take this one oz wafer to the market to buy groceries etc... Take along a file or hack saw and carve it up to pay for stuff??? Makes no sense to me. Am I going to cash it in for some worthless script or purchase $2000 plus of goods?? See what I mean it is awkward.

I like the Asian idea of buying 24kt gold chain which is 97% pure gold...this makes more and more sense the longer I think about it.

Now if you want to buy something after an apocalyptic financial collapse then you just snip off a few links of the chain at a time...easy peasy. You would be negotiating the weight of the gold links for the price of the goods

It is one thing to save for a potential apocalypse...but one must think about how you would use those gold savings after the event...I do believe in having physical gold though ... in my possession. Purchasing shares in a company like SPDR Gold Trust [NYSE:GLD] and expecting the gold to be there when/if the apocalypse hits is being pretty naive to me.

Underexposed 
Calgary Alberta/Canada

I just thought I would post this chart of spot price of gold

going to be exciting next week....now at the resistance level....that triangle apex is getting closer and closer daily. a breakout coming very soon.

$GOLD - SharpCharts Workbench - StockCharts.com

$GOLD - SharpCharts Workbench - StockCharts.com

Pretty neutral right now though the Ichimoku chart shows the spot price rubbing the lower border of the green cloud which suggests that the spot price will fall back to support or worse early next week

Underexposed 
Calgary Alberta/Canada

well I will have to renege on the promised O&G stock.

I have found an interesting consumer goods stock FP Newspapers [TSX:FP]

here is a couple of charts with comments

the Winnipeg Free Press newspaper [TSX:FP] makes a significant amount of revenue from advertising in his newspaper which it offers up monthly in its distribution dividend of a 11% yield

this company has a solid history of dividend, no debts and makes money

Stock Market Quotes | Company Financials, Financial Information

TA

Shows support at $4.85 and a resistance level first at $5.45 then $5.70

this chart shows a breakout in the offing. The Slow Sto and MACD are already reaching high...the BBwidth is flat in the range to breakout. The share price is nicely positioned above the 20daySMA...the 50 daySMA may prove to be a small challenge but that is acceptable

the ADX is very weakly bullish but the CFM and Onbal volume look fine

this above chart is great....the share price has crawled above the Red Cloud

Conclusion:

I will enter an order for the stock to begin when the market opens....

I will place an order 2000 shares FP @5.12/share valid til May 1/14

Underexposed 
Calgary Alberta/Canada

Well I got my order filled....FP Newspaper closed at $5.07/share.

I bought this stock for its dividend which is monthly with a yearly 11.65% and is $0.05/share/month

as you can see here this company has not missed a beat with its dividend in at least the last 2 years (actually dividends began Jan/11

Stock Market Quotes | Stock Market Charts and Graphs

We got it on the ex-dividend date so can look forward to the dividends starting next month.. This is not a company to make money in the short wing type trading....it is not very volatile.

Last Updated on March 21, 2015

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts