NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

jamiecassar's trade journal

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one jamiecassar with 59 posts (22 thanks)
    2. looks_two Big Mike with 11 posts (36 thanks)
    3. looks_3 trendwaves with 9 posts (26 thanks)
    4. looks_4 bobwest with 5 posts (10 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one tigertrader with 4.3 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Big Mike with 3.3 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 trendwaves with 2.9 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 jamiecassar with 0.4 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 14,743 views
    2. thumb_up 137 thanks given
    3. group 7 followers
    1. forum 99 posts
    2. attach_file 14 attachments

Search this Thread

jamiecassar's trade journal

bobwest 
Western Florida
Site Moderator

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Sierra Chart
Trading: ES, YM
Frequency: Several times daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 57,341
Thanks Received: 26,267

jamiecassar View Post
My original goal was to use NinjaTrader, but my girlfriend does not like that program, she acts like I'm playing a cheap video game. I've tried explaining to her how powerful it is, but she does not know anything I'm sure she just hears the cheezy sound effects and judges, lol?

So here's a small thing: sounds in NT can be turned off.

Go to Tools > Options > General tab. Uncheck the sounds in the list box that you don't want to hear. Click OK.

No cheeziness.

Something's easy, anyhow.

Bob.

When one door closes, another opens.
-- Cervantes, Don Quixote
Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Futures True Range Report
The Elite Circle
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
NexusFi Journal Challenge - April 2024
Feedback and Announcements
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
59 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
36 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
25 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
19 thanks
The Program
18 thanks
 jamiecassar 
Rochester MN

Experience: Beginner
Platform: Oanda
Trading: Micro-FX
Thanks Given: 178
Thanks Received: 29

Yeah, sad that, one of the things I LOVE about NT is the soundeffects.

"Judge yourself not by the outcome, but by your process."
Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote

Cashish 
Miami FL USA

Platform: Ensign 10, NT7 DOM
Broker: IB, IQ
Trading: Currency Futures
Thanks Given: 811
Thanks Received: 2,102

I think this short 7 minute video from Al Brooks does a good job explaining how He suggests using stops, and their importance to not only beginning traders but most traders. Good luck to you, @jamiecassar we all need some from time to time.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
 jamiecassar 
Rochester MN

Video was good, it raised more questions for me though, I like this Al Brooks guy, I wonder more how he was reading the bars as "always long" or "market is always short" etc. I will investigate

Thanked by:

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 33,173
Thanks Received: 101,537

jamiecassar View Post
Video was good, it raised more questions for me though, I like this Al Brooks guy, I wonder more how he was reading the bars as "always long" or "market is always short" etc. I will investigate

Multiple futures.io (formerly BMT) webinars with him in the archives

Sent from my LG Optimus G Pro

We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Cashish 
Miami FL USA

Platform: Ensign 10, NT7 DOM
Broker: IB, IQ
Trading: Currency Futures
Thanks Given: 811
Thanks Received: 2,102

jamiecassar View Post

@jamiecassar I figured that, but I was hoping you'd investigate the "I don't care size" part instead.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
 jamiecassar 
Rochester MN

Cashish View Post
@jamiecassar I figured that, but I was hoping you'd investigate the "I don't care size" part instead.

LOL! Yeah I had realized the error of my thinking not long after I posted that earlier. The stop should be placed having to do with mathmatized probability and context, having nothing to do with capital, so calculate where the stop should be and either it's in your comfort zone or not, that was a very important lesson for me

Thanked by:
 jamiecassar 
Rochester MN

So, on friday morning, I saw a good trade opportunity (all time low was near bottom resistance) so I went long and quickly was pyramiding the profits into more shares. (I think I said piggyback originally, talk about grammatical errors!) I hadn't placed any stops at all because I'm an idiot, and thought it would cost me commission not realizing it doesn't charge you unless the stops hit. Then when I came home from work, I was negative $500 or so... This was really upsetting to me how could I be so stupid?? I know it's only a paper account but still. Mostly I had missed a breakout for a really low low, and wasn't home to sell short. Or if I had been there I could have reversed. Why did I pyramid so many shares, was I that sure of myself? well, all weekend the market was closed (it opened up sunday night I noticed around 9:30pm, weird) and I would just look at that -$500 thinking oh lord...

So, this weekend while the market was closed I absorbed myself into more learning. I found out never to trade anything past friday afternoon, because the market is crazy, and everyone is closing out their weekly shares. Talk about too little too late! Anyways I woke up this morning and I was only down -$40 !! I was so happy!! then it went to a profit of $1.25 and I was jumping up and down. Now it is back to -$40, but I am still brimming with joy.

One of the things people find odd about me is that in poker, lets say I have an Ace-High Flush, and then after the river, this other guy has a FULL HOUSE. Typically the reaction is anger, but I get exited. I mean, it's exiting for me to see a full house, even though I lost that hand I think it's amazing. I don't see how it's any different from skateboarding, when you see someone do a 360 flip, even though you can't do one, it's still amazing, and you are in awe, and it makes you smile. I just like good hands, good plays. Like the time I folded pocket sixes, and the girl only had Ace-High, it was still enjoyable to me! It was a good play. It was also very interesting, how people act under certain conditions. I find it fascinating.

Anyways (I know I ramble alot) even though I'm negative money in this trade right now, I'm glad to see the market DID bounce up, just like I had predicted, and even though I'm -$40 right now it seems like alot, but also it's +11 shares in a micro-fx, so it's probably only a few ticks. Wow those shares add up. Still can't believe I pyramided so many.

jamiecassar 
Rochester MN

I shouldn't say "I PREDICTED" but what I mean to say was my perception of probability the odds were (I thought) in my favor at the time

jamiecassar 
Rochester MN

So, this weekend has been an emotional roller coaster for me. I went from trading 147 trades in a few hours, to just 1 or two trades (if that really) a day, and only if the opportunity presents itself. I had to be honest with myself and the realization that I haven't ingested enough information, and the fact that you can be severely limited by the amount of capital at your disposal. This part about looking at yourself in the mirror and being truthful, I found incredibly draining; mentally, emotional, and physically. For about the 3rd time now, I had to scrap my "plan" and form a new one. Sunday night I started to partially recover. I listened to music for the first time in about two weeks. It was amazing. I played guitar and sang random words. I thought about playing drums. I know now the road I am taking could take YEARS or months at the least. This had a calming effect on my psyche. I played the texas hold em game in the arcade, it was relaxing, but I feel it is not an accurate depiction of the game. You can't go all in, and it's really just a heads up with the dealer, and the dealer cheats but is also pretty predictable. It felt good to just relax for a few minutes and not think about price action, or EMA's, or BB's or Stochastics.

I started reading a new book, it's by John J. Murphy - Technical Analysis of the Financial Markets. Turns out I'm a technical trader. I wonder if fundamentalism exists anymore. I'm starting to hate ThinkOrSwim because I can't get a good read on the graphs. Also I find the interface bloated with unnecessary gimickry it does look cool but is it functional? Somehow I have to make this platform work for me, I am having second thoughts about even opening an account with them, but I most likely will, because I have spent so much time learning it. also it works with NinjaTrader, and as much as I don't like the commission prices, the data is free. Seeing as how my "new style" is few trades per week, but going for big ones, i don't think it will be a prob. I know they have a wealth of learning material that I haven't even begun to look at, so. I think it will help solidify me doing this with my girlfriend once the visa card shows up (they offer a free visa bank card that is tied to your account). I guess the gimicks are good for SOMETHING..

I feel I have a long hard road ahead of me, it is like climbing Fuji mountain, or running a triathalon: it takes weeks/months/years of preparation. I am committed, and I know I can do this, it will just take longer than I originally thought. I still have much to learn, I know this.

Thanked by:

Last Updated on March 11, 2014

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts