NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

CQG Q Trader

Discussion in Platforms and Indicators

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one xplorer with 74 posts (44 thanks)
    2. looks_two jokertrader with 58 posts (18 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Japhro with 53 posts (33 thanks)
    4. looks_4 mattz with 25 posts (17 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one mattz with 0.7 thanks per post
    2. looks_two xplorer with 0.6 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Japhro with 0.6 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 jokertrader with 0.3 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 96,170 views
    2. thumb_up 174 thanks given
    3. group 45 followers
    1. forum 317 posts
    2. attach_file 27 attachments

Search this Thread

CQG Q Trader

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 33,212
Thanks Received: 101,599

@met68, check Sierra Chart. The out of box experience is quite terrible so don't let that dissuade you, spend a few weeks getting to know it and changing the defaults. The default color scheme for example makes it look really bad, imo, but once you get it customized the way you want it then I'm guessing it will do everything you are asking for.

Mike

We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
Trade idea based off three indicators.
Traders Hideout
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
MC PL editor upgrade
MultiCharts

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
34 thanks
Tao te Trade: way of the WLD
24 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
17 thanks
Vinny E-Mini & Algobox Review TRADE ROOM
13 thanks
My NQ Trading Journal
12 thanks
met68
Ragusa Italy

Thanks Given: 6
Thanks Received: 24

Guys, thanks for suggesting Sierrachart and you are both right. I had not mentioned it, but I have been trying Sierrachart for the last couple of weeks and yes, I do like it a lot. And I just found out that I can add the volume profile to the DOM. Was not aware of this before. Brilliant.

The reason I was looking for possible alternatives is that AMP (my broker) does not appear to support any data feed combos with SC that support server side OCO and bracket orders and I really want this going forward. AMP offer this using X_Trader Pro with TT data, R_Trader Pro with Rithmic data and Ninjatrader using CQG data.

I also have an account with IB. I can connect SC to that, but only get the filtered IB data this way. BUT, when I do place bracket orders through the IB Gateway, at least the profit target and SL brackets are held on the server as soon as the parent order is filled and I can enter the whole bracket as a combo.

I can run two copies of SC alongside each other, one with AMP (using TTNet or CQG data) for tick accurate charting and one with IB Gateway for actual order entry (and support of server side bracket and OCO orders). But this is not ideal.

I am simply hoping to maybe being able to cut it all down to running a single platform that meets all my requirements:

- server side OCO (and ideally bracket) orders
- volume profile indicators (plus ideally Market Profile)
- range/ renko charts
- good DOM (really like the XTrader Pro and CQG ones)
- security (i.e. I am unwilling to stop core Windows services to make platform work, like with X Trader)
- price (happy to pay up to around 50US$/ month at most, ideally less)

Sierrachart tell me that they support server side OCO orders with OEC and CTS T4. But I am not really familiar with either of them. But then they also think that CQG supports server side OCO (while AMP tech support tells me that CQG does not, if I use CQG data through AMP....!?)

So, in a nutshell:

- if I could somehow get X_Trader Pro to work without having to stop the Windows BFE Service, I would go down that path. Have any of you guys managed to do this and if so how?

- if CQG Q Trader offered volume profiles (and given that they will offer range and renk charts from next week), that would be my next alternative, if I could get confirmation, that orders routed through CQG and using CQG data support server side OCO form CME and ideally EUREX. But as they do not support volume profile, that one is a goner (I do not fancy doing volume profiles manually using MS EXCEL)

- SC would be a very close second, again, if I could get confirmation, that OCO orders routed through CQG are held server side.

- if all of the above fails, then I may go with Ninjatrader and the G9 DOM using CQG data. But have not yet tried the G9 DOM.

So the quest continues, and all while the market (ES) offers some brilliant trading opportunities in the last few days. Huge ranges ....

CannonTrading   is a Vendor

Thanks Given: 77
Thanks Received: 183

met68 View Post
I am testing platforms at the moment to hopefully settle for one. Does Q Trader have market profile charts and/ or is it able to plot volume against price (ideally with customisable time periods) and show value area POC and Highs/ Lows?

In addition, I would like to know, whether OCO/ bracket orders placed in Q Trader are held server side or are they held on the client locally?

And finally, is it possible to do range and/ or renko charts with Q Trader?

And if so, do any of these things cost extra?

Any help with these questions would be much appreciated.

good questions and I have answers for most, whioch I will post here and still waiting for a couple of answers directly from CQG, which I will share later:

Does Q Trader have market profile charts and/ or is it able to plot volume against price (ideally with customisable time periods) and show value area POC and Highs/ Lows?

NOT right now. market profile is not available on Q trader but is available on the CQG Integrated client.

OCO's are server side

Range bar and renko are now being added to alpha version and my guesstimate it will be available in next 6 weeks or so, waiting for confirmation.

I can set you up for live demo, PM me if you like to.

PM with any questions about Cannon Trading (800) 454-9572 (310) 859-9572. Trading commodity futures, forex and options involves substantial risk of loss. The recommendations contained in this post are of opinion only and do not guarantee any profits. These are risky markets and only risk capital should be used. Past performance is not necessarily indicative of future results.
Follow me on Twitter Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Just confirmed that Renko charts, range bars and sub-minute bars will be available on QTrader at no additional cost.

PM with any questions about Cannon Trading (800) 454-9572 (310) 859-9572. Trading commodity futures, forex and options involves substantial risk of loss. The recommendations contained in this post are of opinion only and do not guarantee any profits. These are risky markets and only risk capital should be used. Past performance is not necessarily indicative of future results.
 ejtrader 
Portland, OR

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Sierra Chart
Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 327
Thanks Received: 180

met68 - Sierra Does Support CQG through Fix connection. However you would have to subscribe for realtime data from SC and I believe you would have to request AMP to enable CQG Fix connection.

So the cost would be Sierra($25 for package 3 or $40 for package 5 ) + Sierra CME Realtime feed( $35 ) and you should be all set for Server Side OCO/CQG/Feed.

Thanks

met68 View Post
Guys, thanks for suggesting Sierrachart and you are both right. I had not mentioned it, but I have been trying Sierrachart for the last couple of weeks and yes, I do like it a lot. And I just found out that I can add the volume profile to the DOM. Was not aware of this before. Brilliant.

The reason I was looking for possible alternatives is that AMP (my broker) does not appear to support any data feed combos with SC that support server side OCO and bracket orders and I really want this going forward. AMP offer this using X_Trader Pro with TT data, R_Trader Pro with Rithmic data and Ninjatrader using CQG data.

I also have an account with IB. I can connect SC to that, but only get the filtered IB data this way. BUT, when I do place bracket orders through the IB Gateway, at least the profit target and SL brackets are held on the server as soon as the parent order is filled and I can enter the whole bracket as a combo.

I can run two copies of SC alongside each other, one with AMP (using TTNet or CQG data) for tick accurate charting and one with IB Gateway for actual order entry (and support of server side bracket and OCO orders). But this is not ideal.

I am simply hoping to maybe being able to cut it all down to running a single platform that meets all my requirements:

- server side OCO (and ideally bracket) orders
- volume profile indicators (plus ideally Market Profile)
- range/ renko charts
- good DOM (really like the XTrader Pro and CQG ones)
- security (i.e. I am unwilling to stop core Windows services to make platform work, like with X Trader)
- price (happy to pay up to around 50US$/ month at most, ideally less)

Sierrachart tell me that they support server side OCO orders with OEC and CTS T4. But I am not really familiar with either of them. But then they also think that CQG supports server side OCO (while AMP tech support tells me that CQG does not, if I use CQG data through AMP....!?)

So, in a nutshell:

- if I could somehow get X_Trader Pro to work without having to stop the Windows BFE Service, I would go down that path. Have any of you guys managed to do this and if so how?

- if CQG Q Trader offered volume profiles (and given that they will offer range and renk charts from next week), that would be my next alternative, if I could get confirmation, that orders routed through CQG and using CQG data support server side OCO form CME and ideally EUREX. But as they do not support volume profile, that one is a goner (I do not fancy doing volume profiles manually using MS EXCEL)

- SC would be a very close second, again, if I could get confirmation, that OCO orders routed through CQG are held server side.

- if all of the above fails, then I may go with Ninjatrader and the G9 DOM using CQG data. But have not yet tried the G9 DOM.

So the quest continues, and all while the market (ES) offers some brilliant trading opportunities in the last few days. Huge ranges ....

Thanked by:
met68
Ragusa Italy

Ilanlm,

Thanks. Can I just confirm please. in Q Trader (say in the DOM) I can place a limit entry order and then manually place a SL and Limit Profit target as an OCO and these two orders will be held server side? So my connection goes down and I turn the machine back up, I will still see these two orders in the DOM (provided, of course, they have not been filled/ cancelled in the meantime)?

Is it possible to enter the whole bracket as a server side held OCO combo?

And finally, do you know, whether this is specific to Q Trader, or any platform which uses CQG for data/ clearing?

If only they had a volume profile and value high/ low/ POC indicator included in Q Trader. This is a BIG miss, in my opinion and something offered in pretty much all other charting/ trading platforms (even IB TWS....).

Thanks.

Mark

met68
Ragusa Italy

ejtrader View Post
met68 - Sierra Does Support CQG through Fix connection. However you would have to subscribe for realtime data from SC and I believe you would have to request AMP to enable CQG Fix connection.

So the cost would be Sierra($25 for package 3 or $40 for package 5 ) + Sierra CME Realtime feed( $35 ) and you should be all set for Server Side OCO/CQG/Feed.

Thanks

Ok. So why did the SC support guys on their forum tell me, that they only support OEC and CTS T4?

So CQG Fix is a different data feed than the CQG data feed available as standard through AMP (and I guess other brokers too)?

And again, for clarification, with the setup as described by you, I can place a limit entry order and then manually place an SL and limit profit target OCO combo and if my connection/ computer goes down and I restart SC, the SL and profit target orders will still be sitting there (say in the DOM), unless they have been filled/ cancelled in the meantime?

And I assume, that the OCO combo will be held on the server only after the initial limit entry order has been filled?

Is it possible to enter the whole bracket (including the original limit entry) as a combo (ideally sitting on the server, waiting for a fill)?

ejtrader 
Portland, OR

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Sierra Chart
Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 327
Thanks Received: 180

met68 - from my understanding - when SC marks support feed as Server side OCO - It is same for all feeds categorized under that. From this page it is listed as Server Side OCO - Yes.

CQG Trading Platform Service - Sierra Chart

SC team might have mentioned OEC/CTS T4 as supported Server side OCO feeds - as there is no need to subscribe for additional sierra realtime feed with OEC/CTS T4.

For the rest of the questions/further details - it would be better to take it up with SC team for accurate answers.

Thanks

met68 View Post
Ok. So why did the SC support guys on their forum tell me, that they only support OEC and CTS T4?

So CQG Fix is a different data feed than the CQG data feed available as standard through AMP (and I guess other brokers too)?

And again, for clarification, with the setup as described by you, I can place a limit entry order and then manually place an SL and limit profit target OCO combo and if my connection/ computer goes down and I restart SC, the SL and profit target orders will still be sitting there (say in the DOM), unless they have been filled/ cancelled in the meantime?

And I assume, that the OCO combo will be held on the server only after the initial limit entry order has been filled?

Is it possible to enter the whole bracket (including the original limit entry) as a combo (ideally sitting on the server, waiting for a fill)?

met68
Ragusa Italy

ejtrader View Post
met68 - from my understanding - when SC marks support feed as Server side OCO - It is same for all feeds categorized under that. From this page it is listed as Server Side OCO - Yes.

CQG Trading Platform Service - Sierra Chart

SC team might have mentioned OEC/CTS T4 as supported Server side OCO feeds - as there is no need to subscribe for additional sierra realtime feed with OEC/CTS T4.

For the rest of the questions/further details - it would be better to take it up with SC team for accurate answers.

Thanks

This is what it says under Sierra Chart Real-Time and Historical Futures Data Feed:

"Server Managed OCO (Order Cancels Order): Depends upon Trading service data feed is used with."

My understanding is that this SC service is purely a data feed. It relies on the trading service (e.g. AMP/TTnet) used for clearing (and this is where the OCO orders would need to be held on a server/ or better still held on a server at the exchange directly).

Hi, here’s a bit more –

Market Profile is not available on QTrader and will not be made available. You cannot plot volume against price or show value areas. You would need to go to Integrated Client for these features.

This comparison may be helpful to you:
CQG.com

Last Updated on December 27, 2019

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts