NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

CQG Q Trader

Discussion in Platforms and Indicators

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one xplorer with 74 posts (44 thanks)
    2. looks_two jokertrader with 58 posts (18 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Japhro with 53 posts (33 thanks)
    4. looks_4 mattz with 25 posts (17 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one mattz with 0.7 thanks per post
    2. looks_two xplorer with 0.6 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Japhro with 0.6 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 jokertrader with 0.3 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 96,239 views
    2. thumb_up 174 thanks given
    3. group 45 followers
    1. forum 317 posts
    2. attach_file 27 attachments

Search this Thread

CQG Q Trader

jackm 
Sydney Australia

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: CQG IC
Broker: AMP / CQG
Trading: All
Thanks Given: 3
Thanks Received: 7

xplorer View Post
Thanks both for this. How did you guys find out?

From other traders

Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Trade idea based off three indicators.
Traders Hideout
How to apply profiles
Traders Hideout
MC PL editor upgrade
MultiCharts
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader
REcommedations for programming help
Sierra Chart

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Spoo-nalysis ES e-mini futures S&P 500
29 thanks
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
25 thanks
Tao te Trade: way of the WLD
24 thanks
Bigger Wins or Fewer Losses?
21 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
17 thanks
 jackm 
Sydney Australia

jokertrader View Post
2) Yes, i do export data into Excel and perform analysis.. but reason to bring them back to CQG is to chart them.. think of this scenario
Assume several combinations of spreads across different months out in the curve .. and after some basic analysis in Excel (like a scanner), I would like to confirm by looking at the chart..
Now do i copy each of those selected items by hand back to CQG to chart and view them

and these lists can keep changing depending on the scan (and/or) change because the month expired

Was looking at some automated way to do this

I don't think what you'd like to achieve is exactly possible. But there are probably work-arounds depending on the structures you are trading. Are you always trading 2 leg spreads?

As you are probably aware if you use ?1 you can pull the front month. Ie EP?1 .. and the same goes backwards.
So if you are trying to chart front month vs 3rd contract NGA.. symbol = NGA?1-NGA?3

It can be a pain as it will just show NGA-NGA in your charts title bar.

However if you can rely on ? to reference contracts in a curve and your spreads are relatively simple, you could setup QFormula's to reference spreads. You could use a code for the Q Number Ie. Q12 For 1vs2, Q26 for 2vs6 etc whatever convention that works. Then you're simply punching the short QFormula into a chart and not the full symbol.

If you are trading flys and other structures that becomes more complicated..
I'm sure there's a way to make things a little simpler for you anyway.

Thanked by:

xplorer 
London UK
Site Moderator

Experience: Beginner
Platform: CQG
Broker: S5
Trading: Futures
Thanks Given: 15,490
Thanks Received: 15,383

Today I've got some annoying issues
  • Delta volume is completely skewed.
  • Some issues with closing trades via limit orders too.
  • Certain DOM updates about traded volume are misaligned from where the best bid/ask is.
    (See pic, the green and red numbers should be where the inside bid/ask is, and should not be that large)

Frustrated with CQG support.

Anyone having similar issues today?

Update: so, as it turns out, the London servers (or server, the unhelpful support rep wasn't clear), are the ones having issues.

Whether that translated into the problems I was having CQG wouldn't want to say, but magically I was moved to a Sydney server and the issues disappeared...

Thanked by:
 jackm 
Sydney Australia

xplorer View Post
Update: so, as it turns out, the London servers (or server, the unhelpful support rep wasn't clear), are the ones having issues.

Whether that translated into the problems I was having CQG wouldn't want to say, but magically I was moved to a Sydney server and the issues disappeared...

When you log on to the platform it will automatically select the best data server for your location. (So restarts can help) There is a short list on the CQG side though so if you are constantly having issues you can ask them to check to see if your server setup matches your location.

I'm in Sydney and kept getting pushed to a London server for a while. If Sydney is bad I'd rather get pushed to Singapore which is now how it's setup. Haven't really had issues since and that was 18 months + ago.

Thanked by:

xplorer 
London UK
Site Moderator

Japhro View Post

This is problematic when you trade multiple symbols and/or a combination of futures and options etc. I do not want to have to close my VIX spreads and my ES calls when I close my NQ position. Why should I? Every other platform ON EARTH has this function. A flatten button, sometimes called CLOSE simply closes the current position on that one symbol and cancels all open orders. Simple. Yet CQG and it seems, others on this thread are startlingly confused about the function of it.

As of yet, CQG has not implemented a flatten button on anything other than CQG M, now renamed something else, and on that, it is not located on the dom, so very inconvenient as well. Just clarifying what is actually going on, since there seems to be confusion and misinformation around. Cheers - J

I've recently upgraded to v. 19.12.x and looks like they finally added the Flat button.

It does what it says on the tin, i.e. closes position of the current product being displayed on the DOM while the positions in the other products remain unaffected.

Thanked by:
 Japhro 
Canada

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Sierra
Broker: AMP/Rithmic
Trading: NQ, ES, YM, UB
Thanks Given: 33
Thanks Received: 195

xplorer View Post
I've recently upgraded to v. 19.12.x and looks like they finally added the Flat button.

It does what it says on the tin, i.e. closes position of the current product being displayed on the DOM while the positions in the other products remain unaffected.

Does it also close all open orders when it closes the position? This is the important function for a flatten button, imo

Thanks for your reply, also

xplorer 
London UK
Site Moderator

Japhro View Post
Does it also close all open orders when it closes the position? This is the important function for a flatten button, imo

Thanks for your reply, also

If by 'open orders' you mean working orders, i.e. limit orders that haven't yet been filled, then yes, it cancels those as well, in the same product.

Thanked by:

mattz   is a Vendor

Thanks Given: 2,441
Thanks Received: 3,791

Japhro View Post
Very frustrated with CQG now, they just called to inform that that the will NOT be implementing a flatten button on Qtrader anytime soon.

They are literally the only platform that I have ever seen without a flatten/close button on their DOM. There are a few clunky work arounds but none very pleasant to use. Do I actually have to switch back to CTS now that I cannot manage risk and close positions the way every single platform in the universe does? jeez...

Would a functionality like that help you? Close either ALL positions or choose the negative or positive?

Matt Z
Optimus Futures

There is a substantial risk of loss in futures trading. Past performance is not indicative of future results.

Trading futures and options involves substantial risk of loss and is not suitable for all investors. Past performance is not necessarily indicative of future results. You may lose more than your initial investment. All posts are opinions and do not claim to be facts. Please conduct your own due diligence. Use only Risk capital when trading Futures.
1 800 771 6748 local 561 367 8686 email [email protected]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	X_Positions_.png
Views:	222
Size:	4.0 KB
ID:	282678  
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

Last Updated on December 27, 2019

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts