NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

BC's TST CL Combine

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one abctrading with 38 posts (63 thanks)
    2. looks_two trendwaves with 21 posts (47 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Daytrader999 with 3 posts (4 thanks)
    4. looks_4 WillSmithRules with 3 posts (2 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one shanemcdonald28 with 2.5 thanks per post
    2. looks_two trendwaves with 2.2 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 abctrading with 1.7 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Daytrader999 with 1.3 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 12,769 views
    2. thumb_up 126 thanks given
    3. group 11 followers
    1. forum 76 posts
    2. attach_file 176 attachments

Search this Thread

BC's TST CL Combine

abctrading 
Long Beach, CA

Experience: Beginner
Platform: MotiveWave, NT7, NT8
Broker: AMP Futures - CQG and Rithmic
Trading: Futures - CL, 6E, ES, NQ, YM
Thanks Given: 57
Thanks Received: 76

patidar View Post
@abctrading the colored band cyan,blue etc are the mk supplydemand indicator? or something else.

The cyan colored bands or zones are created with an indicator called APA Zones, " apazones.com" they print out support/resistance or supply/demand .... whatever you want to call it. The zones once created actually keep track of how many times price has visited or hit that zone and will change colors each time that zone has been hit. This is by far my favorite indicator as it helps me identify these areas very quickly. It is so nice to not have to draw my zones every morning as well as having to keep track of how many times price has bounced there. Maybe not a big deal if trading one market, but if looking at multiple markets and multiple time frames .. wow, what a time saver :-)

Another thing that APAZones does is it will print out these arrows that show where these 3 Bar Engulfing Patterns occurred. Makes it easy to go back and see where they happened.

I will post some pics here soon of what the different colors represent and how they keep track of bounce counts. etc.

Quoting 
jtrangemarker)?

The jtrangemarker indy (can be found here within futures.io (formerly BMT) as well as Ninja Forums) is very helpful for me in seeing where price will close based on what the current hi and or low is of that current range bar. This helps me identify whether or not this pattern that I am looking for is going to happen so that I can either set my entry, or pull it, if the pattern does not show itself as an "Engulfing" type of pattern that I explained at the beginning of this thread. If you would like more clarification on that, let me know and I can try to explain that more.

Quoting 
Like your setups btw...all the best!

Thank you and best of luck to you as well. Do you have a journal going here too? are you in a 10 or 20 day?

Let me know if you would like any more clarification

bc

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
My NT8 Volume Profile Split by Asian/Euro/Open
NinjaTrader
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
Build trailing stop for micro index(s)
Psychology and Money Management
Ninja Mobile Trader VPS (ninjamobiletrader.com)
Trading Reviews and Vendors

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
59 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
37 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
24 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
22 thanks
The Program
19 thanks

abctrading 
Long Beach, CA

Daytrader999 View Post
@abctrading:

Since I can only find the website for purchasing TT credits, do you mind providing the link for disabling the Static Super DOM, or would it be necessary to contact NT support ?

no problem .. try this link Enable/Disable Static SuperDOM Request

haha ... woops ... Trendwaves beat me to the link post .. nice and thanks Trendwave

Thanked by:

abctrading 
Long Beach, CA

So I was finally able to start this TST Combine today!

However I did not start the way I had envisioned (green ) instead, I was in the red a bit........ As I am putting this post together, I prolly won't make any more trades, although I am watching for something that looks worthy of taking.

The breakdown looks something like this. Try and follow along with the pics below. (btw .. what is a good picture hosting site so that I can upload and insert pics into these posts and not have to have all the pics loaded down at the bottom of the post? thx. )

i passed on the 1st signal as it was a long right into the globex high. Usually not a good trade. I did take the 2nd signal which was a little above the globex hi and entered short with 2 cars. I ended up getting stopped out for -14 ticks. Actually had a 1 tick slip in my favor. Even though I got stopped out, price never would have hit my target of 15 ticks .... price came up short of my T1 target by one tick.

Passed on the 3rd signal as it was a short signal right into a trend line and the globex hi level and was perhaps a retest or bounce off that globex level. Was becoming obvious that we are in an uptrend and the risk/reward in a countertrend trade was just not good enough. I also was again trying to manage risk within this combine. A sketchy trade with an out balance R/R ratio did not feel good after already being red for the day.

I did take the 4th signal long, but ended up moving my stop to b/e after price was in my favor by 10 ticks. ( I wanted to be safe and protect the combine acct just in case this move was a head fake and just a retest of the recent high ) I got stopped out and slipped up 1 tick for a +1 tick profit. Of course price moved on to hit my target of 15 ticks and kept on going. Not a good way to recoup the earlier losses. I really should not have moved that stop!!

I decided to stay away from any other signals as it was very clear that we were in consolidation, not to mention we had hit the Avg daily range, we were also into a 4 hour dead zone (previous zone) and of course the time of day aaand I was noticing that the nearest zones from entry or signals were less than what my target of 15 ticks would have been. It also seems like that later we get the sketchy'er the signals get (is that a word?).

Tomorrow will provide plenty of opportunities to make up for today, and assuming my plan and testing of my plan holds like it did while testing ... I should have no problems on my way to getting funded.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-01-22_0647.png
Views:	273
Size:	153.9 KB
ID:	134263   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-01-22_0648.png
Views:	253
Size:	153.7 KB
ID:	134264   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-01-22_0712.png
Views:	219
Size:	160.6 KB
ID:	134268   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-01-22_0803.png
Views:	249
Size:	121.0 KB
ID:	134269   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-01-22_1118.png
Views:	219
Size:	130.5 KB
ID:	134270   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-01-22_1037_001.png
Views:	195
Size:	149.6 KB
ID:	134271   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-01-22_1121.png
Views:	237
Size:	150.1 KB
ID:	134273  
WillSmithRules
Sugerland, TX/USA

Thanks Given: 2
Thanks Received: 15

Thanks, any idea have gotten funded and stayed funded?

abctrading 
Long Beach, CA

WillSmithRules View Post
Thanks, any idea have gotten funded and stayed funded?

You might want to try out the TST chat rooms that are inside the Squawk Radio area. Below is a pic with a description of the "Badge" colors and the people that are in that particular room. Seems to be quite a few "Funded" Traders. Maybe you can strike up a conversation with them?

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2014-01-23_0957.png
Views:	218
Size:	208.2 KB
ID:	134417  
Thanked by:
WillSmithRules
Sugerland, TX/USA

Thanks Given: 2
Thanks Received: 15

abctrading View Post
You might want to try out the TST chat rooms that are inside the Squawk Radio area. Below is a pic with a description of the "Badge" colors and the people that are in that particular room. Seems to be quite a few "Funded" Traders. Maybe you can strike up a conversation with them?

Ill do it... thanks for the reply

abctrading 
Long Beach, CA

I was able to get in 3 trades today ( 2wins and 1 scratch )
and ended up green for the day and was also able to pull
overall acct into the green after yesterday's red day.

I just set up a photobucket account .. so should be able to post pics a little better starting tomorrow .. as for today, try to follow along my comments with the pics below.

So the beginning of the day seemed a little slow to me but price finally hit Globex High and my pattern was setting up, so set my entry, but somehow did not get filled and then got an error message twice as I tried to go short. Finally gav up on the trade ... and lucky I did as price would have stopped me out!

My next short signal I passed on after putting a few things into context for me. First overall and bigger time frame seemed up to me and since we had blew up above GH price could easily bounce on the GH and continue up. Also, looking at my Ergodic and CCI indies .. they were in the middle of their windows. See pics for a closer look at what I was seeing.

Turns out that Short would have worked but would have been a grind getting there. I passed on a few other signals as well as we got closer to Oil Inventories. see Pics with descriptions). Once Inventories were released and price came down into a zone this pattern started setting up for Trade #1, so I set up and got filled. (See Pic) and had may Target hit.

Trade #2 showed it's face as price broke a flag pattern on 5 min chart and hit a supply zone. This pattern completed and I was triggered Short for Trade #2. I saw a double bottom print on a 1 min chart and ended up moving stop to b/e which got stopped out for a scratch trade.

Gotta get runnin here .. so for sake of time .... Took Trade # 3 ..... see pic for descriptions.

I will try to edit some details later tonight.

bc

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2014-01-23_0609_001.png
Views:	209
Size:	158.0 KB
ID:	134470   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-01-23_0631.png
Views:	227
Size:	165.4 KB
ID:	134471   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-01-23_0635.png
Views:	193
Size:	137.4 KB
ID:	134472   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-01-23_0802.png
Views:	240
Size:	192.8 KB
ID:	134477   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-01-23_0803.png
Views:	198
Size:	182.4 KB
ID:	134478   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-01-23_0804.png
Views:	187
Size:	170.1 KB
ID:	134479   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-01-23_0804_001.png
Views:	228
Size:	134.8 KB
ID:	134480   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-01-23_0829.png
Views:	193
Size:	158.5 KB
ID:	134481   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-01-23_0834.png
Views:	209
Size:	145.9 KB
ID:	134482   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-01-23_0848.png
Views:	181
Size:	176.1 KB
ID:	134483  

Name:	2014-01-23_0944.png
Views:	228
Size:	166.7 KB
ID:	134484   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-01-23_0945.png
Views:	208
Size:	175.0 KB
ID:	134485   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-01-23_1006.png
Views:	173
Size:	174.0 KB
ID:	134486   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-01-23_1013.png
Views:	188
Size:	256.4 KB
ID:	134487   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-01-23_1419.png
Views:	207
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	134488  

trendwaves 
Florida
Market Wizard

Experience: Advanced
Platform: NinjaTrader 8
Trading: ES, NQ, CL
Thanks Given: 2,898
Thanks Received: 2,525

Nicely Done !

I like each of your trade entries, APA put you into some nice trades.

$10 per RT commission ?

The only comment on your trades is tightening up the stop as quickly as you did, it obviously got in the way of trade #2.

I went back and reviewed your trading plan and the initial stop is clearly specified, but what happens after that is not clear. During your testing phase prior to starting the combine, did you have a specific strategy you followed for handling the stop during the trade ?

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

abctrading 
Long Beach, CA

trendwaves View Post
Nicely Done !

I like each of your trade entries, APA put you into some nice trades.

$10 per RT commission ?

The only comment on your trades is tightening up the stop as quickly as you did, it obviously got in the way of trade #2.

I went back and reviewed your trading plan and the initial stop is clearly specified, but what happens after that is not clear. During your testing phase prior to starting the combine, did you have a specific strategy you followed for handling the stop during the trade ?

Thanks for the comments! Regarding the stops .... yes, this is something I have wrestled with quite a bit and "IF" I were trading a normal personal account, I would not be moving those stops. However, within this combine, there is not much room for error when trading multiple contracts. Starting out with 2 cars, it only takes a couple of head fakes or flushes to get darn close to a Daily max loss. The way that these combines are structured, and the criteria they have for trailing draw downs and daily max losses and trade averages ...... I came up with a concept that did work in my backtesting. The plan (which was not listed in plan specifically, thx for pointing that out) is to go into "protect the account mode" after price moves in my favor by 10 ticks.

In the combine scratch trades do not count or are not added into the averages. Yes, we get hit for the comission/fees ($5/RT per contract). So I figure if price has gone in my favor for 10 ticks and having a target of 15..... I am darn close to hitting T1, and in testing it seemed 9/10 times price will hit T1. I don't have exact stats on that but on a conservative side, I am betting it is better than 70%. So if I move stop to b/e chances are it will continue to hit target. If it were to come back and take me out at b/e, or a scratch, ... that trade does not get added into the averages .. and if I were to get some slippage against me, it's actually ok as it would actually decrease my loss average. Where if I were to say .... do a b/e +1 tick, and take the win .. that actually drags my win averages down.

In my testing there are plenty of set ups or patterns that happen everyday. Some days more than others. so I am not so worried that I have a scratch or a loss here and there. I would rather get out of a trade and protect the account at this point and wish I were still in that trade .. than see it come back against me and wish I was not in that trade anymore. I can always jump back in if this pattern shows itself again.

While attempting to make sense of it all and actually pulling the trigger, I have and will continue to make mistakes or read the charts wrong .... this is a work in progress for me. And thanks to people like you asking questions such as these ... I will be able to reflect and clarify what it is I am actually trying to do here.

I will be chewing on this tonight ... and may add more to my answers in the next few days. Thanks again for asking the questions .. hope I made some sense out of it

shanemcdonald28
new york

Thanks Given: 665
Thanks Received: 582

Would a possibility be to take profit on 1 contract after a move of 10 ticks ? That profit could then be used as a 10 tick improvement in risk reward ratio on the next contracts. Perhaps using the breakeven setup on the next contracts ?

This is only an idea to ponder. It comes from observations trading crude.

You certainly have your ideas worked out with a lot of thought and I think you will do very well.

If you had a couple of 5-7 tick trades per day instead of scratches, it might make a difference. I am not sure though.

best wishes on the combine

you can do it

shane

Last Updated on February 26, 2014

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts