NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Commission shopping w/brokerages

Discussion in Brokers

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one kronie with 7 posts (9 thanks)
    2. looks_two mattz with 6 posts (12 thanks)
    3. looks_3 SMCJB with 5 posts (9 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Big Mike with 5 posts (23 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one trendwaves with 5 thanks per post
    2. looks_two danielk with 5 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Big Mike with 4.6 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 mattz with 2 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 50,731 views
    2. thumb_up 91 thanks given
    3. group 19 followers
    1. forum 46 posts
    2. attach_file 0 attachments

Search this Thread

Commission shopping w/brokerages

sixtyseven 
Golden Bay, New Zealand

Experience: Beginner
Platform: Sierra Chart
Trading: ES, NQ
Thanks Given: 851
Thanks Received: 337

Big Mike View Post
I would advise against commission shopping brokerages because it's akin to asking to be launched into space by the cheapest bidder. Perhaps for something so important you might consider something more than price alone. But generally those shopping for the cheapest are the new inexperienced traders, there is not much anyone can say to stop them.

Mike,

Timely post for me, as I'm an inexperienced trader and looking for a broker.

Another fee is money transfer in/out and the methods they use. Wire fees add up if that's your only option.

Anyway, the point of my post - what factors should the inexperienced consider. I'm looking into the following:-
- Fees
- Customer Service
- Clearing Agents
- Funds Segregation
- Available Products / Markets
- Supports Trading Platform
- Server locations

Anything else?
Thanks

Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
The space time continuum and the dynamics of a financial …
Emini and Emicro Index
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
My NT8 Volume Profile Split by Asian/Euro/Open
NinjaTrader
Futures True Range Report
The Elite Circle
NexusFi Journal Challenge - April 2024
Feedback and Announcements

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
61 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
39 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
24 thanks
Battlestations: Show us your trading desks!
24 thanks
The Program
17 thanks
 danielk 
Stavanger, Norway

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: Ninjabroker, Continuum
Trading: ES, CL, Bonds
Thanks Given: 908
Thanks Received: 1,801

sixtyseven View Post
Mike,

Timely post for me, as I'm an inexperienced trader and looking for a broker.

Another fee is money transfer in/out and the methods they use. Wire fees add up if that's your only option.

Anyway, the point of my post - what factors should the inexperienced consider. I'm looking into the following:-
- Fees
- Customer Service
- Clearing Agents
- Funds Segregation
- Available Products / Markets
- Supports Trading Platform
- Server locations

Anything else?
Thanks

All good and valid checkpoints, you could add minimum required deposits and intraday margins if relevant to your trading style. More importantly i would do a background check on the company. First thing i do is check the website, is it professional? Is all the relevant information clearly available, or is it just snakeoil-"come to us and become a winner!" marketing fluff. I take it as an ill omen when i have to dig too hard to find stuff like wire fees, account inactivity fees etc, gives me a feeling they are trying to hide important information. Hit the "About" button: Who's the holding company? Are they listed anywhere? How are their quarterlies looking- is it in a stable financial state? Who are the owners/CEO's? Google them. Is it a serious Broker, or just a Prop Shop looking to add to its liquidity? Is it an " Introducing Broker" ? If so, who's the FCM/Futures Commission Merchant clearing your trades.

I'd also advise looking up the companies at:

NFA - National Futures Association
BrokerCheck: Research Brokers & Investment Advisers - FINRA

EDIT: great threads:

To reveal any prior disciplinary actions. Note that it can be tricky finding the "right" broker, as you have to nail the search term, and check any/all parent/daughter companies in my experience.

The age of the company can weigh in as well- you'd probably not want to park your money at some newly founded bucketshop with 2 employees. Then there's more importantly the "streetcred". Listen closely to what the trustworthy people on this forum recommend.

With that in mind, note how one of the most recommended choices up until December was Mirus/ZF, and the disaster that occured.

You also mentioned segregated funds, so with that in mind make sure you are familiar with the disaster-stories behind:

MF Global - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Peregrine Financial Group - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Segregated funds is not the safety-net many thought it to be, especially for us foreign Scandinavians

You should of course do your own homework and make your own reasoning behind your choice(s). I re-did that excersize myself few days ago, and ended yet again on choosing the seemingly safest, currently IB. But as history has proven, nothing is "safe enough" in this business. Dont keep millions in your account, just what you need for trading. Consider spreading your risk to multiple brokers, they are also a huge help(a must) for your disaster planning (when you suddenly need to hedge an open position that you cant close etc). Always have a plan for the worst imaginable situation.

Hope this helps!

tderrick 
Nashville, Tennessee

Platform: Ninja / Jigsaw / 9G
Broker: AMP / CQG
Trading: NQ, YM and ES
Thanks Given: 4,260
Thanks Received: 2,532

Make AMP an offer .... Look at their commission sheet and negotiate for the best rate.... They are flexible

AJ
Nashville, Tennessee

"Life On The Edge of SR"
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
 danielk 
Stavanger, Norway

Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: Ninjabroker, Continuum
Trading: ES, CL, Bonds
Thanks Given: 908
Thanks Received: 1,801

tderrick View Post
Make AMP an offer .... Look at their commission sheet and negotiate for the best rate.... They are flexible

If all you care about are rates, why not give Deep Discount Futures Trading Commodity Brokers Best Low Rates Cheap Commissions High Frequency Systems Exchange Members a try? ....

At least they wont sue you for having an opinion about them.

Thanked by:

tderrick 
Nashville, Tennessee

Platform: Ninja / Jigsaw / 9G
Broker: AMP / CQG
Trading: NQ, YM and ES
Thanks Given: 4,260
Thanks Received: 2,532

danielk View Post
If all you care about are rates, why not give Deep Discount Futures Trading Commodity Brokers Best Low Rates Cheap Commissions High Frequency Systems Exchange Members a try? ....

Wow....

AJ
Nashville, Tennessee

"Life On The Edge of SR"
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 33,172
Thanks Received: 101,532

I am not a fan of brokerages that give different people different rates. And I don't mean person A trades 10 turns a month and person B trades 500 turns a month. I mean two more or less equivalent traders receiving different rates.

It reminds me too much of car sales.

I also am not a fan of brokerages that don't advertise their rates on their website. I try to understand their position, but at the end of the day I think it is a bad business decision. Either you make a compelling case via your website why you are the superior and or logical choice, including your commissions -- or you don't.

Mike

We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote

SMCJB 
Houston TX
Legendary Market Wizard

Platform: TT and Stellar
Broker: Advantage Futures
Trading: Primarily Energy but also a little Equities, Fixed Income, Metals and Crypto.
Frequency: Many times daily
Duration: Never
Thanks Given: 4,375
Thanks Received: 10,192

Brokerage rates involve more than just how many round turns you trade, how much margin you use is just important. Somebody who only day trades, should have lower rates than somebody who trades excatly the same volume but holds positions overnight.

joe11 
chapel hill, nc

Platform: NinjaTrader, ToS
Thanks Given: 25
Thanks Received: 4

tderrick View Post

Who runs/owns AMP and what about their financial strength? There is no "About US" information on their website...
Cheapest is not the answer. Reasonable may be the answer. Because I don't want my segregated funds not to be available when I wake up to trade :-(

Thanked by:
 JustinIsHere 
Montreal, Canada

Experience: Beginner
Platform: NinjaTrader, Multicharts
Trading: ES
Frequency: Never
Duration: Never
Thanks Given: 57
Thanks Received: 127

joe11 View Post
Who runs/owns AMP and what about their financial strength? There is no "About US" information on their website...
Cheapest is not the answer. Reasonable may be the answer. Because I don't want my segregated funds not to be available when I wake up to trade :-(

I just posted this

iqgod 
Mumbai, India
Legendary Market Wizard

Platform: ChartNexus
Trading: Stocks, Commodities, Futures
Thanks Given: 3,658
Thanks Received: 3,097

danielk View Post

... is an IB to Crossland LLC which seems to be one of the handful offering CTS T4.

Why the - seems okay to me.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

Last Updated on February 7, 2021

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts