NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Zenfire no more?

Discussion in Brokers

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one NinjaTrader with 77 posts (161 thanks)
    2. looks_two Balanar with 56 posts (29 thanks)
    3. looks_3 WolfieWolf with 48 posts (50 thanks)
    4. looks_4 mattz with 44 posts (51 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one NinjaTrader with 2.1 thanks per post
    2. looks_two mattz with 1.2 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 tderrick with 1.1 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 WolfieWolf with 1 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 380,794 views
    2. thumb_up 1,048 thanks given
    3. group 133 followers
    1. forum 1,210 posts
    2. attach_file 12 attachments

Search this Thread

Zenfire no more?

rleplae 
Gits (Hooglede) Belgium
Legendary Market Wizard

Experience: Master
Platform: NinjaTrader, Proprietary,
Broker: Ninjabrokerage/IQfeed + Synthetic datafeed
Trading: 6A, 6B, 6C, 6E, 6J, 6S, ES, NQ, YM, AEX, CL, NG, ZB, ZN, ZC, ZS, GC
Thanks Given: 2,442
Thanks Received: 5,863

@WolfieWolf

I agree 100% with you on the full line, and we are not even talking about a ministry here where a day of downtime is not much of an issue, as they take a paper and pencil and continue...

Here we are talking about electronic Futures trading, where people trade with leverage, traders put an order, the stops are rejected (bad fill price reported) and minutes later you are cut-off the market and can't reconnect

Help desk of the broker is overwhelmed with calls, no emergency communication, only very late came some communication..

I have redundancy on my side, production machine and stand-by machine, main internet connection (cable) and backup internet connection (VDSL2), UPS, etc...

All of no use, as the main high-way is down...
Mirus trader was also not accessible during the period

I agree with you, the manager of that migration, can hardly be called a manager,
very poor migration plan and poor risk mitigation.

Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
My NT8 Volume Profile Split by Asian/Euro/Open
NinjaTrader
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
The space time continuum and the dynamics of a financial …
Emini and Emicro Index
Futures True Range Report
The Elite Circle
New Micros: Ultra 10-Year & Ultra T-Bond -- Live Now
Treasury Notes and Bonds

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
61 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
39 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
26 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
18 thanks
The Program
18 thanks

rleplae 
Gits (Hooglede) Belgium
Legendary Market Wizard

Experience: Master
Platform: NinjaTrader, Proprietary,
Broker: Ninjabrokerage/IQfeed + Synthetic datafeed
Trading: 6A, 6B, 6C, 6E, 6J, 6S, ES, NQ, YM, AEX, CL, NG, ZB, ZN, ZC, ZS, GC
Thanks Given: 2,442
Thanks Received: 5,863

tradersimon View Post
It's worth noting that Mirus's web platform is still working, so should be able to manage trades from there.

Mirus trader was also down
i checked it
and they confirmed it to me,
if zen is down, all is down

Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
 Itchymoku 
Philadelphia

Experience: None
Platform: corded black telephone
Trading: ticker tape
Thanks Given: 1,683
Thanks Received: 3,681

Yikes

R.I.P. Joseph Bach (Itchymoku), 1987-2018.
Please visit this thread for more information.
Thanked by:
 crossover 
Brussels Belgium

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: ninja
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 396
Thanks Received: 326

NinjaTrader View Post
I suspect that they will provide an official statement once they are confident that the connection issues are resolved. I will pass along this information once it is available to me.

WolfieWolf View Post
I'm being verbose today because this situation really pisses me off. Before I was a full time trader I worked in IT Infrastructure for 20 years, a good number of those years providing high availability systems for traders among others including the UK Ministry of Defense, Oxford University, Microsoft, the list goes on. As a best practice, to avoid down time, when a major upgrade was required we would implement a new system in parallel to the original working system and slowly migrate users. If we encountered an issue during the migration then only a handfull of users would be effected and easily rolled back to the original platform with minimal service interruption. Eventually all users would be migrated and after a "run-in" period the old system would be taken off-line and decommissioned. This is IT best practice especially when dealing with mission critical systems. As a result we were able to maintain our 99.95% availability Service Level Agreement to our clients / end users. Does anyone know what the SLA is for the zen-fire platform? What about availability statistics? Has anyone over there even heard of ITIL? The fault here lies squarely on the shoulders of the IT organization that planned and implemented this change. Was there any change control? Were there any fallback contingency plans? Where is the communication plan? Hell, I didn't even know there was a mandatory upgrade until I reset Ninja on Sunday evening before the open and got the popup alert. This migration is amateur at best, I have seen better migrations carried out by small IT shops run out of people's living rooms. (Not kidding). IT as a profession has a bad name because of cowboy antics like this one. As a former IT professional I am offended by the blatant disregard that Mirus has had for it's end users; the people that pay their salaries. As a former IT Director for a multi million Euro company, Head of Infrastructure for two proprietary trading houses and Managing Director of my own Technology company I have to say that if I were the Managing Director / CEO at Mirus / Zen-Fire I would be firing the Head of IT. End of rant.

Wolfie

Wolfie,

I do fully agree with you. As occasional trader ( not every day ) i take care that my programs are Always in good order of working, making secure bacups and making image from all those programs.

On 20 november 2013 i received from Mirus futures a mail telling me that i was required to do a mandatory update to download ninjatrader V17.
I did do that but had trouble with the fdax, i had no data any more and so on . I did sent a mail to mirus and

on 21/11/2013 i received a mail telling me follow :" We are currently aware of the issue and working on a solution. Sorry for the inconvenience.

If you are trading the DAX live you can revert back to .16 until the issue is resolved.

Ninja Trader: 7.0.1000.16"

So i reverted back to .16

As i knew other traders received the same mail i warnd them not to make the change to version 17 to avoid they have problems too.

On 27/12/2013 i received a mail to ,upodate before sunday 29/12 to version V18.

Again, i did what they requested.

Again i had trebles with dta and connection. Finally i phoned to the tech of mirus and the did, while on the Phone connect me again.

Today, we had again big problems. The ones we are talking about.

Normally Mirus must had a surveillance on the data as the markets was open from sunday on monday.

A word of thanks to the helpdesk of ninjatrader as they did try to get me back online for the FDAX ( without succes )

Mirus could suspect that there was a problem as there first request for upgrading to V17 was not a succes.

As soon they had news from the problems they should have warnd all the clients of the problems and they should
have warned then again when problems are solved. At least we would have know what there was going on and now traders had the risk of trading there real account so see connection fall out a few seconds later.

This behaviour of Mirus is irresponsible and Mirus was looking away of the problems instaed of warning his clients.

I can only hope nobody lost money and that Mirus have learnd a lesson .

I am hoping that Mr. Deux will talk to Mirus to avoid this sort of problems in the future . A good communication plan would be a good start
"

Thanked by:
 tradersimon 
London

Experience: Advanced
Platform: NinjaTrader, Metatrader, MarketDelta
Broker: AMP/CQG
Trading: 6E, ES, FGBL
Thanks Given: 21
Thanks Received: 19

WolfieWolf View Post
I'm being verbose today because this situation really pisses me off. Before I was a full time trader I worked in IT Infrastructure for 20 years, a good number of those years providing high availability systems for traders among others including the UK Ministry of Defense, Oxford University, Microsoft, the list goes on. As a best practice, to avoid down time, when a major upgrade was required we would implement a new system in parallel to the original working system and slowly migrate users. If we encountered an issue during the migration then only a handfull of users would be effected and easily rolled back to the original platform with minimal service interruption. Eventually all users would be migrated and after a "run-in" period the old system would be taken off-line and decommissioned. This is IT best practice especially when dealing with mission critical systems. As a result we were able to maintain our 99.95% availability Service Level Agreement to our clients / end users. Does anyone know what the SLA is for the zen-fire platform? What about availability statistics? Has anyone over there even heard of ITIL? The fault here lies squarely on the shoulders of the IT organization that planned and implemented this change. Was there any change control? Were there any fallback contingency plans? Where is the communication plan? Hell, I didn't even know there was a mandatory upgrade until I reset Ninja on Sunday evening before the open and got the popup alert. This migration is amateur at best, I have seen better migrations carried out by small IT shops run out of people's living rooms. (Not kidding). IT as a profession has a bad name because of cowboy antics like this one. As a former IT professional I am offended by the blatant disregard that Mirus has had for it's end users; the people that pay their salaries. As a former IT Director for a multi million Euro company, Head of Infrastructure for two proprietary trading houses and Managing Director of my own Technology company I have to say that if I were the Managing Director / CEO at Mirus / Zen-Fire I would be firing the Head of IT. End of rant.

Wolfie

Well said Wolfie.

I don't usually post on forums, but seeing as I paid for another 3 months of NT only last week, I think I am entitled to a rant.

I too worked in IT before becoming a full-time trader. Coincidentally I worked for 15 years developing trading software for a number of high profile investment banks.

As you have said in your post, there are processes in place for QA testing, rolling out new software, migrating data, etc. etc. and contingency plans if it all goes wrong. Change control and the ability to roll back a software release is a big part of it. I wonder if Ninjatrader have even heard of SourceSafe?

I contacted Ninjatrader today and they blamed the connectivity to Zenfire. However, part of the QA process for every trading system I have ever worked on is the integration with upstream and downstream systems, i.e... Zenfire.

The fact that Ninjatrader are blaming Zenfire worries me a lot, because they obviously don't have a clue that it is both parties responsibilty to ensure connectivity works. Also as mentioned by Wolfie, not being able to roll back the software release and treating users (who have real money on the line) as Beta testers stinks to high heaven.

If this ever happened at one of the banks I worked at, the traders would be livid and heads would roll.

Thanked by:

NinjaTrader  NinjaTrader is an official Site Sponsor
Site Sponsor

Web: NinjaTrader
AMA: Ask Me Anything
Webinars: NinjaTrader Webinars
Elite offer: Click here

Thanks Given: 203
Thanks Received: 2,686

I have just posted the latest update here - R18 and Zen-Fire Status Update - [AUTOLINK]NinjaTrader[/AUTOLINK] Support Forum

Follow me on Twitter Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
 steve2222 
Auckland, New Zealand

Experience: Beginner
Platform: Sierra Chart
Trading: Whatever moves in my timezone
Thanks Given: 3,379
Thanks Received: 1,540

Connected at 10.25pm USA ET and have already had FIVE disconnects.

I would not be trusting this for Live trading.

Thanked by:

WolfieWolf 
Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island

Platform: Ninja
Broker: Optimus - Rithmic
Trading: GC
Thanks Given: 100
Thanks Received: 272

steve2222 View Post
Connected at 10.25pm USA ET and have already had FIVE disconnects.

I would not be trusting this for Live trading.

Could this be Internet connectivity to you down under? I've been connected since the night session open and haven't had any issues at all.

Thanked by:
 steve2222 
Auckland, New Zealand

Experience: Beginner
Platform: Sierra Chart
Trading: Whatever moves in my timezone
Thanks Given: 3,379
Thanks Received: 1,540

WolfieWolf View Post
Could this be Internet connectivity to you down under? I've been connected since the night session open and haven't had any issues at all.

Co-incidental if it is.

I have had rock solid ZF connectivity for months on end now until this upgrade.

NT can find no issues in my trace file, so I will just have to keep monitoring it.

Thanked by:

WolfieWolf 
Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island

Platform: Ninja
Broker: Optimus - Rithmic
Trading: GC
Thanks Given: 100
Thanks Received: 272

steve2222 View Post
Co-incidental if it is.

I have had rock solid ZF connectivity for months on end now until this upgrade.

NT can find no issues in my trace file, so I will just have to keep monitoring it.

Sucks dude.. sorry to hear you're still having issues.

Thanked by:

Last Updated on July 5, 2014

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts