NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

The Wall Street Code

Discussion in Traders Hideout

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one artemiso with 36 posts (30 thanks)
    2. looks_two Big Mike with 19 posts (41 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Outlier with 13 posts (5 thanks)
    4. looks_4 nanex with 11 posts (16 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Big Mike with 2.2 thanks per post
    2. looks_two nanex with 1.5 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 artemiso with 0.8 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Outlier with 0.4 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 44,758 views
    2. thumb_up 107 thanks given
    3. group 21 followers
    1. forum 96 posts
    2. attach_file 6 attachments

Search this Thread

The Wall Street Code

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 33,175
Thanks Received: 101,539

Reposted with permission

The Wall Street Code: a thriller about a genius algorithm builder who dared to stand up against Wall Street. Haim Bodek, aka The Algo Arms Dealer.

From the makers of the much-praised Quants: the Alchemists of Wall Street and Money & Speed: Inside the Black Box. Now the long-awaited final episode of a trilogy in search of the winners and losers of the tech revolution on Wall Street. Could mankind lose control of this increasingly complex system?

Mike

We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader
Deepmoney LLM
Elite Quantitative GenAI/LLM
Ninja Mobile Trader VPS (ninjamobiletrader.com)
Trading Reviews and Vendors
Futures True Range Report
The Elite Circle
My NT8 Volume Profile Split by Asian/Euro/Open
NinjaTrader

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
59 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
37 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
24 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
22 thanks
The Program
19 thanks

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

I am currently working to bring these guys on futures.io (formerly BMT) for a webinar. Will post more once I have info to share.

Mike

Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote

CFuture 
cologne, europe

Trading: Futures
Thanks Given: 350
Thanks Received: 197

The explanation of the flash crash as some turbulent breakdown of a complex system is very funny.

There was some company constantly hitting the bids with no fear serious buyers would drive the market any higher and it seems, until now, it is impossilble to name the originating big bid-hitter?

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

CFuture View Post
The explanation of the flash crash as some turbulent breakdown of a complex system is very funny.

There was some company constantly hitting the bids with no fear serious buyers would drive the market any higher and it seems, until now, it is impossilble to name the originating big bid-hitter?

The SEC already named them, but people like Eric Hunsader of nanex disagree with their conclusions, after reviewing all the trade data from the firm that allegedly caused it. The data showed that they were selling on every run up, not hitting the bid on new lows (if I remember right).

Mike

Thanked by:

CFuture 
cologne, europe

Trading: Futures
Thanks Given: 350
Thanks Received: 197

Same game you can see at the 10am NY option expiries at times.

I also remember what happened when BATS was going public in march 2012.

nourozi
New Zealand

Thanks Given: 52
Thanks Received: 30

Preferred order types for high volume HFTs creates a huge disadvantage for retail traders and institutions. No wonder my limit orders don't get filled!

Itchymoku 
Philadelphia

Experience: None
Platform: corded black telephone
Trading: ticker tape
Thanks Given: 1,683
Thanks Received: 3,681

I think it's cool that the one hedge fund lives in the same house working together, it probably makes trading more interesting that way being independent yet socially stimulated.

R.I.P. Joseph Bach (Itchymoku), 1987-2018.
Please visit this thread for more information.
Thanked by:

podski 
Belgium

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Ninjatrader
Broker: Ninjatrader Brokerage, CQG
Trading: FDAX, FDXM ...maybe
Thanks Given: 499
Thanks Received: 470

Itchymoku View Post
I think it's cool that the one hedge fund lives in the same house working together, it probably makes trading more interesting that way being independent yet socially stimulated.

I didn't see too many female colleagues there to either brighten up the place or add any sort of a woman's touch to it.

Could be quite macho and a bit smelly !

:-)

p

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
 artemiso 
New York, NY

Experience: Beginner
Platform: Vanguard 401k
Broker: Yahoo Finance
Trading: Mutual funds
Thanks Given: 784
Thanks Received: 2,685

I'm disappointed that individuals such as Peterffy, Lauer and Bodek were glorified in this documentary, while the unsung heroes of the market were unfairly bashed.

1. Peterffy is by far the richest person in the entire film, for a good reason: Interactive Brokers trades against its own clients through Timber Hill, and sells them out to dark pools and ECNs (https://gdcdyn.interactivebrokers.com/Universal/servlet/Registration.formSampleView?ad=order_routing_disclosure.html).

2. During the Flash Crash, Lauer was at Allston, a "greybox" shop that did poorly in the past years and therefore had to cut its staff. (Besides, they are a JVM shop, by no means latency-sensitive.) He has absolutely no authority about this matter. The majority of 'mini-crashes' and bottoms are formed by retail (click or electronic) traders and slow traders aggressing against low latency electronic traders, e.g. through stop loss orders. I only say "the majority" for political correctness because honestly I don't pay attention to these things and my actual memory of these incidences was that 100% of them were caused by low-frequency traders. Here's an example where a market lost about 4% of its value in an hour where I had to supply liquidity all the way down to the bottom. The pink bar shows the contribution of low latency electronic traders and the two largest bars clearly show that the slow traders were responsible for most of the market damage and imbalance.

3. I believe Direct Edge had made a public statement that they had email evidence of discussions with Bodek about the [edit: hide-not-slide] order type well in advance. Besides, it is your own undoing if you choose to compete in an area where specific order types matter and don't bother to keep yourself updated. Bodek had no serious experience before he started Trading Machines (I know to the common public, a short stint at UBS and Hull is a lifetime of financial experience, but practically everyone that you talk to on the phone from the largest 10 FCMs and prime brokers will have a better resume.)

Where is the journalistic standard nowadays?

nourozi View Post
Preferred order types for high volume HFTs creates a huge disadvantage for retail traders and institutions. No wonder my limit orders don't get filled!

No one is systematically disadvantaging your limit orders.

The exploits that Haim refer to only exist in the equity markets where Reg NMS is in force. Even so, the equity markets are a fair game because these strategies only degrade the returns for other low latency electronic traders.

CFuture View Post

Big Mike View Post
The SEC already named them, but people like Eric Hunsader of nanex disagree with their conclusions, after reviewing all the trade data from the firm that allegedly caused it. The data showed that they were selling on every run up, not hitting the bid on new lows (if I remember right).

Mike

<deleted on request>

Eric's recommendations in Flash Crash Analysis - May 6'th 2010 - Part 1 - Empirical Analysis - Answers - Nanex and Nanex - Flash Crash Analysis - Flash Crash Summary are uninformed.

Regarding his first suggestion, it's fundamentally impossible for the public feed to display the timestamp simultaneously as the match takes place with the present exchange architecture. I think he has some vague idea that they should eliminate the round trip on the order channel, which has unintended latency consequences that we waste a lot of time solving. I agree that this is a good idea as it would make for a simpler API to develop against, and therefore reduce latencies and improve the market quality across in general. I feel, however, that Eric's motive for suggesting this is so that data vendors do not have to pay that extra $28,550 per month for exchange licenses; I doubt this will achieve the intended goal, as the license fees for the SIP feeds will undoubtedly increase if unchecked. You can do this and make the SIP feeds free too - but that will become a cost on taxpayer money. You can't have the best of all worlds.

Regarding his second suggestion, sure, I absolutely agree. But whoever's under the impression that this will reduce public costs is gravely mistaken. The growing bandwidth requirement is a function of several factors, a few are good reasons, and a few (such as liquidity rebates, and this), are bad.

Last Updated on December 19, 2013

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts