NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

How often replace trading computer components??

Discussion in Tech Support

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one GaryD with 6 posts (6 thanks)
    2. looks_two ron99 with 3 posts (2 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Itchymoku with 3 posts (2 thanks)
    4. looks_4 rmejia with 2 posts (2 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one GaryD with 1 thanks per post
    2. looks_two rmejia with 1 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 iqgod with 1 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 ron99 with 0.7 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 5,652 views
    2. thumb_up 20 thanks given
    3. group 10 followers
    1. forum 28 posts
    2. attach_file 1 attachments

Search this Thread

How often replace trading computer components??

jsengxx2 
Portugal, Viana do Castelo

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: ninjatrader
Trading: 6e

If it is stable, no need to replace it!

IŽam running a Xeon X3360, 4 screens, almost 7 years old, rock stable.
Only problems that you can have is with the HD, running SSD now.

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
My NT8 Volume Profile Split by Asian/Euro/Open
NinjaTrader
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
New Micros: Ultra 10-Year & Ultra T-Bond -- Live Now
Treasury Notes and Bonds
The space time continuum and the dynamics of a financial …
Emini and Emicro Index

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
59 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
37 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
23 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
22 thanks
The Program
19 thanks

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 33,174
Thanks Received: 101,539

jsengxx2 View Post
If it is stable, no need to replace it!

IŽam running a Xeon X3360, 4 screens, almost 7 years old, rock stable.
Only problems that you can have is with the HD, running SSD now.

That was a good purchase for 7 years ago.

But most people tend to buy cheaper stuff, so if they bought cheap stuff 7 years ago, it needed to be replaced about 5 years ago...

But realistically, if you have a quad core CPU and 8GB of ram or more, and an SSD, then you probably don't need an upgrade until your CPU becomes the limiting factor (slow to load).

Mike

We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

iqgod 
Mumbai, India
Legendary Market Wizard

Platform: ChartNexus
Trading: Stocks, Commodities, Futures
Thanks Given: 3,658
Thanks Received: 3,097

GaryD View Post
My main trade computer is a Sony Vaio from 2005, running XP, and never misses a beat. 2GB RAM. No crashes, no freezes, no delays, and pushes 3 monitors. I am going to ride her til she won't ride no more. It currently runs two separate installations of Sierra Chart (each with a different feed), and approximately 10-15 charts per side, with layers of indicators....

The only thing that has ever needed work was the power needed to be disconnected once and the power button held down for 60 seconds. I thought I had lost her.

Sony VAIO VGC-RB38G Specs | PCMag.com

My 2011 HP has been bluescreening off and on for a year.

My trading laptop is close, purchased in March 2008:

A rock solid Sony VAIO VGN-AR630E 17 inch Laptop - 8.1lbs; 17.0"; Intel Core 2 Duo T7250 @ 2.0GHz; 2GB RAM; 320GB HDD; Blu-Ray & DL DVD+/-RW Combo; 802.11n; Vista Home Premium; NVIDIA Geforce 8400M GT 256MB w/ HDMI-out

Sony Vaio VGN-AR630E - Notebookcheck.net External Reviews

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

Experience: None
Platform: shoes
Trading: happy

iqgod View Post
My trading laptop is close, purchased in March 2008:

A rock solid Sony VAIO VGN-AR630E 17 inch Laptop - 8.1lbs; 17.0"; Intel Core 2 Duo T7250 @ 2.0GHz; 2GB RAM; 320GB HDD; Blu-Ray & DL DVD+/-RW Combo; 802.11n; Vista Home Premium; NVIDIA Geforce 8400M GT 256MB w/ HDMI-out

Sony Vaio VGN-AR630E - Notebookcheck.net External Reviews

I think it is great. When XP goes without support soon, I am hoping that does not cause it to become obsolete. I just reorganized my whole setup with that 2005 Sony 2GB ram computer, running 3 of 4 screens. Runs two separate trade platform installations, simultaneously, flawlessly, 24/6. Have never had a single issue since I left NT. Not sure why, computers are not really something I am into, but I know less than that will crash my 2011 HP. I have contemplated building a new box, but never can find a reason to, other than "I can", and buying things is kinda fun...

I think since I do not use any other program on that computer it keeps me from experiencing anything that would be a problem.

iqgod 
Mumbai, India
Legendary Market Wizard

Platform: ChartNexus
Trading: Stocks, Commodities, Futures
Thanks Given: 3,658
Thanks Received: 3,097

GaryD View Post
I think it is great. When XP goes without support soon, I am hoping that does not cause it to become obsolete.

Yes, ditto that! Still love XP.

GaryD View Post
I think since I do not use any other program on that computer it keeps me from experiencing anything that would be a problem.

To give credit to Sony I've had trading programs from three staple (Indian) vendors, NinjaTrader7, SierraChart, MT4, Skype, iTunes, a few dozen BigMike threads AND a BitTorrent client (gasp) all running without much issues on my Vaio. I don't recommend such a thing, however - its real money on the line after all - so I've now kept separate machines for these activities.

Thanked by:
 Itchymoku 
Philadelphia

Platform: corded black telephone
Trading: ticker tape
Thanks Given: 1,683
Thanks Received: 3,681

Maybe I should make a new thread - how often do you replace your trading chair.

R.I.P. Joseph Bach (Itchymoku), 1987-2018.
Please visit this thread for more information.
Thanked by:

jiggles 
Anderson,South Carolina,united states,

Platform: ninjatrader
Broker: Mirus
Trading: oil
Thanks Given: 0
Thanks Received: 23

No need for computa. Me hand draw charts. I bery bery sucksesful trader. Me bery long term trader. Only have to draw 2 charts per year.

Seriously: I build my own. Only build as high end as possible. Technology creep will catch your old computer eventually and bring it to its' knees.

If a component of my computer fails or becomes obsolete, then I replace only those components that have compatibility issues. People who only run trading platforms don't need a lot of power. But I guarantee that the later generation computer components will make your experience much more enjoyable. Even ninja charts that typically need only 2 cores will be much more stable. You would be surprised how many "services" run in the background on any given computer. Computer resources are drained, leaving little left for programs.

I run 4 monitors and I can assure you that I use them all. For about $1500.00 one can have an Intel I7 CPU, 16Gb RAM, a
motherboard that will handle the speeds required to run present day programs. Add a decent power supply (PSU) and 4 port graphics card with at least 2Gb memory and you can run about anything that comes down the road for a long time. And as I said before, just change the parts you need to, instead of paying a computer tech the equivalent of the price of your computer to fix it.

A computer like the one I just described can be built in an afternoon, really...and anyone intelligent enough to learn the trading game should be able to build one. The individual components that you buy for your "build" will generally be of much better quality than a computer bought from a retailer. In other words, those components give much more "bang for the buck"......and all for the cost of a good trading day.

Daytrader999 
Ilsede, Germany
Site Moderator

Platform: NinjaTrader 8
Broker: Rithmic / CQG / Ninja Trader Brokerage
Trading: NQ
Thanks Given: 2,067
Thanks Received: 2,316

Itchymoku View Post

LOL, that's a good one !

Please go ahead, this could be a very interesting thread as well.

"If you don't design your own life plan, chances are you'll fall into someone else's plan. And guess what they have planned for you? Not much." - Jim Rohn

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

Platform: shoes
Trading: happy

Itchymoku View Post

Just for fun - my trading chair was given to me by a Montgomery Ward company back when they were around. The arm rests are a little worn from our pets, but it is a Herman Miller, and just keeps holding me every time I sit down, so until I hit the floor...

I did upgrade it this year with a lumbar support through Amazon for $2. And, I have changed pets more than once since I got it.

welly192 
san diego

Platform: Ninja
Trading: ES

I really like the IBM thinkpad series because of their on-line system recovery partition. If the system ever develops OS creep- I just back up my data restore the beast to factory setting - re-install Ninja - my data and I am up and running again within an hour. I finally retired my 1st thinkpad after 5 years of service. I fully expect my new rig to last the same amount of time.

Last Updated on November 15, 2013

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts