NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

It ain’t called catching, its called fishing

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one suko with 192 posts (72 thanks)
    2. looks_two Underexposed with 5 posts (3 thanks)
    3. looks_3 SMCJB with 5 posts (0 thanks)
    4. looks_4 deaddog with 4 posts (0 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one ratfink with 1.8 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Adamus with 0.7 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Underexposed with 0.6 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 suko with 0.4 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 37,286 views
    2. thumb_up 91 thanks given
    3. group 13 followers
    1. forum 229 posts
    2. attach_file 9 attachments

Search this Thread

It ain’t called catching, its called fishing

suko 
Kyoto, Japan
Market Wizard

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: TW TOS LiveVol
Broker: TD, TW, IB, Saxo
Trading: VXX, VIX, SPY
Thanks Given: 844
Thanks Received: 1,416

The other day I went over to a friend's place and helped him out by doing some welding on a pizza oven he's making.

While I was welding we got into conversation and I mentioned that I aspire to become a trader and am working actively toward this goal.

He chuckled and then told me about how he had given up trading after blowing up in the futures markets, something involving leverage and margin and a loss bigger than his mortgage.

So I asked him if he had properly journaled his trades, had good risk management, proper money management. Yeah, yeah he did all that, he said.

Now, I don't know anything about futures, and my rules make them "off limits" for me, and I am very glad of that. So somebody please explain, how can you have "good risk management" and still over-leverage yourself with futures so that you blow up your account catastrophically? Doesn't make any sense to me.

Second question, if futures are so dangerous, why would somebody such as my friend -- who's a tradesman, not a very experienced trader -- be messing with them? Seems to me you would start off with something safer like trading index ETFs, then work you way up to something like futures and options as you become really consistently profitable.

Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
MC PL editor upgrade
MultiCharts
Trade idea based off three indicators.
Traders Hideout
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Diary of a simple price action trader
20 thanks
My NQ Trading Journal
17 thanks
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
16 thanks
HumbleTraders next chapter
9 thanks
Daytrading ES & NQ
9 thanks

ratfink 
Birmingham UK
Market Wizard

Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: TST/Rithmic
Trading: YM/Gold
Thanks Given: 17,423
Thanks Received: 8,425

suko View Post
Now, I don't know anything about futures, and my rules make them "off limits" for me, and I am very glad of that. So somebody please explain, how can you have "good risk management" and still over-leverage yourself with futures so that you blow up your account catastrophically? Doesn't make any sense to me.

Because rules can get forgotten in the blink of an eye once the red mist has descended.... Just like the look but not touch rule with women.

suko View Post
Second question, if futures are so dangerous, why would somebody such as my friend -- who's a tradesman, not a very experienced trader -- be messing with them? Seems to me you would start off with something safer like trading index ETFs, then work you way up to something like futures and options as you become really consistently profitable.

Because really glittery things are much, much, much more addictive than just slightly shiny things. Just like sticking to the devil you know and forgetting the grass is always greener with women.

Eventually we age and learn to do a proper cost/benefit analysis, but by then its often waayyyy too late. Bugger.

Travel Well
Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

suko 
Kyoto, Japan
Market Wizard

ratfink View Post
Eventually we age and learn to do a proper cost/benefit analysis, but by then its often waayyyy too late. Bugger.

One would like to think that the risk intelligence increases with age, but that doesn't always happen.

Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

suko 
Kyoto, Japan
Market Wizard

I've really been drilling down into trading psychology.

I have found an eight week online course in trading psychology that starts in April. Steve Ward.

I think that it would be money well spent if for no other reason than having the money sunk into tuition would cause me to knuckle down for eight weeks and really focus on my psychology. Even if the contents are worthless, the engagement alone might be worth it for me.

Online Trading Psychology Course | High Performance Global Trading Psychology

suko 
Kyoto, Japan
Market Wizard

I got Steve Ward's book, High Performance Trading...

Amazon.com: High Performance Trading: 35 Practical Strategies and Techniques to Enhance Your Trading Psychology and Performance eBook: Steve Ward: Kindle Store

I am going to read that, and if it resonates with me, I will sign up for the course. Book only costs $9.99.

suko 
Kyoto, Japan
Market Wizard

QOTD: “It’s better to have no position than a dumb one”.

Analyst999 
Tallin/Estonia

Great analogy. It draws comparison between fishing and trading.

suko 
Kyoto, Japan
Market Wizard

How I have now come to view the market action: on one side of the fence a small plucky band of professional traders, on the other side a vast and never-ending horde of other market participants.

Eric B
Fort Worth, Texas

Thanks Given: 2
Thanks Received: 15

... or the few Spartans that slaughtered an entire army.

Thanked by:

suko 
Kyoto, Japan
Market Wizard

Since I came to this site and started doing this journal I have lost any illusion about which side of the fence I am now on.

But at least I know where I stand.

Now, I have to hustle and find a way to get over that fence before either the walkers eat me alive or the traders lobotomize me with a piece of #10 rebar.

Thanked by:

Last Updated on October 26, 2016

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts