NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Scalpingticks ES Journal

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one scalpingticks with 14 posts (16 thanks)
    2. looks_two kevinkdog with 5 posts (4 thanks)
    3. looks_3 trendwaves with 3 posts (6 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Patrick S with 2 posts (2 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one trendwaves with 2 thanks per post
    2. looks_two scalpingticks with 1.1 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Patrick S with 1 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 kevinkdog with 0.8 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 6,510 views
    2. thumb_up 33 thanks given
    3. group 10 followers
    1. forum 34 posts
    2. attach_file 1 attachments

Search this Thread

Scalpingticks ES Journal

scalpingticks 
Chicago, IL

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Ninjatrader
Broker: AMP
Trading: CL, TF
Thanks Given: 18
Thanks Received: 43

I'm about 2 years into trading and I believe I've finally found my niche. I've traded various CME/CBOT products but I keep finding myself back at the ES. I've decided to focus on one product and one style. I've had some pretty devastating losses due to every newbie screw up in the book. I've revenge traded, blown accounts, over-traded, you name it I've done it.

I enjoy being active in the markets and taking more of a scalping approach. I don't care to sit in front of the screen for hours waiting for that perfect set up, this may be the death of me as a trader but I prefer being much more active in the market. I watch the ladder and time/sales and base all of my decisions on this information. I keep a 5 min chart open for general reference but don't run any indicators or trade from the chart. Most of my losers run 4-5 ticks and most of my winners run 3-4 ticks. On occasion I'll get a 6-8 tick winner and unfortunately on occasion I'll have a 20-30 tick loss and completely screw up my week/month etc.

My trading cycle for the past year is, small profit, small profit, small profit, large loss, rinse, repeat. I have a win rate pushing 70% but historically I have let my losers get way out of hand at times. I believe that my style will work because I have thousands of trades under my belt using this style, I can NEVER again allow a large loss. I can NEVER move my stop again "just a tick" and "just another tick".

I'm open to any suggestions or thoughts this community can provide me. I don't know everything by any means and I'm always willing to listen and learn.

Started this thread Reply With Quote

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
My NT8 Volume Profile Split by Asian/Euro/Open
NinjaTrader
Deepmoney LLM
Elite Quantitative GenAI/LLM
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader
Futures True Range Report
The Elite Circle
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
61 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
39 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
26 thanks
The Program
18 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
18 thanks

Mtype 
Hungary

Experience: None
Thanks Given: 1,434
Thanks Received: 1,763

Sound great scalpingticks! I'm looking forward to your journal !

“Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence.” Δ

“There is no path, but only a fool wouldn’t follow it.”
Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
 budfox 
Toronto

Experience: Beginner
Platform: Sierra
Broker: MB
Trading: ES

scalpingticks View Post
I'm about 2 years into trading and I believe I've finally found my niche. I've traded various CME/CBOT products but I keep finding myself back at the ES. I've decided to focus on one product and one style. I've had some pretty devastating losses due to every newbie screw up in the book. I've revenge traded, blown accounts, over-traded, you name it I've done it.

I enjoy being active in the markets and taking more of a scalping approach. I don't care to sit in front of the screen for hours waiting for that perfect set up, this may be the death of me as a trader but I prefer being much more active in the market. I watch the ladder and time/sales and base all of my decisions on this information. I keep a 5 min chart open for general reference but don't run any indicators or trade from the chart. Most of my losers run 4-5 ticks and most of my winners run 3-4 ticks. On occasion I'll get a 6-8 tick winner and unfortunately on occasion I'll have a 20-30 tick loss and completely screw up my week/month etc.

My trading cycle for the past year is, small profit, small profit, small profit, large loss, rinse, repeat. I have a win rate pushing 70% but historically I have let my losers get way out of hand at times. I believe that my style will work because I have thousands of trades under my belt using this style, I can NEVER again allow a large loss. I can NEVER move my stop again "just a tick" and "just another tick".

I'm open to any suggestions or thoughts this community can provide me. I don't know everything by any means and I'm always willing to listen and learn.

What are your entry conditions to enter a trade?

kevinkdog   is a Vendor

Thanks Given: 1,890
Thanks Received: 7,338

scalpingticks View Post

If you don't mind sharing, what is your average net profit per contract per trade (after commissions)?

THANKS

Follow me on Twitter Reply With Quote
 scalpingticks 
Chicago, IL

budfox View Post
What are your entry conditions to enter a trade?

I trade extremely discretionary, therefore I really don't have any rules or conditions on when to enter. There are times I may see price breaking a level in the daily volume profile and I may go with the break but there are other times I'll let the price break the level and attempt a fade trade. I try to get in the flow with the market and let it guide me on my entries. I'm a very short time frame trader and I'm not looking for a big move. If I can take a quick 3 or 4 tick scalp within a few mins I'll take my profit and look for the next trade.

scalpingticks 
Chicago, IL

kevinkdog View Post
If you don't mind sharing, what is your average net profit per contract per trade (after commissions)?

THANKS

I would estimate around $30 per contract.

kevinkdog   is a Vendor

scalpingticks View Post
I would estimate around $30 per contract.

THANKS!

Can you help me out here, because I can't get the math to work using the numbers you gave earlier (I realize they are just estimates, but a tick here or there in scalping can really change things).

From your earlier post...
70% wins
Winners 3-4 ticks (let's say 4 ticks)
Losers 4-5 ticks (let's say 4 ticks)

.70*4 - .3*4 = 2.3 ticks - .4 ticks commission = 1.2 ticks = $15 average per trade

But if instead your average win was 6 ticks, then that would yield $32.50 per contract per trade, in line with your estimate. Or if your win % is 80% (with 4 tick win, 4 tick loss), then you'd be at $25 average.

I'm always intrigued by scalpers like yourself, and I am trying to understand your basic approach.

Can you tell me what I might be doing wrong calculating your numbers?

THANKS!

scalpingticks 
Chicago, IL

kevinkdog View Post
THANKS!

Can you help me out here, because I can't get the math to work using the numbers you gave earlier (I realize they are just estimates, but a tick here or there in scalping can really change things).

From your earlier post...
70% wins
Winners 3-4 ticks (let's say 4 ticks)
Losers 4-5 ticks (let's say 4 ticks)

.70*4 - .3*4 = 2.3 ticks - .4 ticks commission = 1.2 ticks = $15 average per trade

But if instead your average win was 6 ticks, then that would yield $32.50 per contract per trade, in line with your estimate. Or if your win % is 80% (with 4 tick win, 4 tick loss), then you'd be at $25 average.

I'm always intrigued by scalpers like yourself, and I am trying to understand your basic approach.

Can you tell me what I might be doing wrong calculating your numbers?

THANKS!

Sorry I read your question of "net profit" to mean what do I net on average out of a profitable trade. I used $30 since I assumed a 3 tick winner less $4 for commish then reduced it down to $30 for conservatism.

When factoring in losing trades to be honest I'm not really sure. I've just recently "turned the corner" with an above 50% win rate. I also have traded with 3 different brokers over two different machines in the last 6 months and I haven't kept track of my trading statistics in an independent spreadsheet (I think this would be a good idea).

I know that over the course of the past 2 years my average trade has to be negative since my trading capital has been on a decline. My equity curve would be downward sloping but not a consistent drawdown. It would start with a large amount, spike downwards, level off, curve upwards a bit and then spike down again. Only within the past few months have I allowed myself to just be okay to focus on one market (ES) and just go with the flow and stop worrying about looking for setups etc. I have been trying to just buy when the market appears to be going temporarily higher. I'm only interested in what is going to happen in the next 3-6 ticks. I'd like to eventually work up to significant size to make the smaller tick movements worthwhile. That is a big reason why I'm trading the ES. I figure if I'm going to learn a market through and through, I might as well learn a market that I can trade enough size to make my style have enough dollars profit.

Thanked by:
 kevinkdog   is a Vendor

scalpingticks View Post
Sorry I read your question of "net profit" to mean what do I net on average out of a profitable trade. I used $30 since I assumed a 3 tick winner less $4 for commish then reduced it down to $30 for conservatism.

When factoring in losing trades to be honest I'm not really sure. I've just recently "turned the corner" with an above 50% win rate. I also have traded with 3 different brokers over two different machines in the last 6 months and I haven't kept track of my trading statistics in an independent spreadsheet (I think this would be a good idea).

I know that over the course of the past 2 years my average trade has to be negative since my trading capital has been on a decline. My equity curve would be downward sloping but not a consistent drawdown. It would start with a large amount, spike downwards, level off, curve upwards a bit and then spike down again. Only within the past few months have I allowed myself to just be okay to focus on one market (ES) and just go with the flow and stop worrying about looking for setups etc. I have been trying to just buy when the market appears to be going temporarily higher. I'm only interested in what is going to happen in the next 3-6 ticks. I'd like to eventually work up to significant size to make the smaller tick movements worthwhile. That is a big reason why I'm trading the ES. I figure if I'm going to learn a market through and through, I might as well learn a market that I can trade enough size to make my style have enough dollars profit.

I definitely agree, keeping track of your statistics is a very good idea. Numbers don't lie, and staring at those numbers can really help you identify weak points in your approach.

Thanked by:

Last Updated on September 15, 2013

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts