NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Scalpingticks ES Journal

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one scalpingticks with 14 posts (16 thanks)
    2. looks_two kevinkdog with 5 posts (4 thanks)
    3. looks_3 trendwaves with 3 posts (6 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Patrick S with 2 posts (2 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one trendwaves with 2 thanks per post
    2. looks_two scalpingticks with 1.1 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Patrick S with 1 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 kevinkdog with 0.8 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 6,530 views
    2. thumb_up 33 thanks given
    3. group 10 followers
    1. forum 34 posts
    2. attach_file 1 attachments

Search this Thread

Scalpingticks ES Journal

scalpingticks 
Chicago, IL

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Ninjatrader
Broker: AMP
Trading: CL, TF
Thanks Given: 18
Thanks Received: 43

kevinkdog View Post
I definitely agree, keeping track of your statistics is a very good idea. Numbers don't lie, and staring at those numbers can really help you identify weak points in your approach.

Cool. Any suggestions on the basic stats I should keep track of? Simply trade, net profit, # of contracts?

Started this thread Reply With Quote

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Pivot Indicator like the old SwingTemp by Big Mike
NinjaTrader
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader
MC PL editor upgrade
MultiCharts
How to apply profiles
Traders Hideout
Trade idea based off three indicators.
Traders Hideout

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
33 thanks
Tao te Trade: way of the WLD
24 thanks
My NQ Trading Journal
14 thanks
HumbleTraders next chapter
11 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
11 thanks
 kevinkdog   is a Vendor

Thanks Given: 1,892
Thanks Received: 7,351

scalpingticks View Post
Cool. Any suggestions on the basic stats I should keep track of? Simply trade, net profit, # of contracts?

It really depends what your are going to do with the information.

Below is one I use to track a strategy. I like to add the time and date, to go back and review the trade. I add in slippage, have calculations built in for commission, and assume every trade is 2 contracts (since I trade multiples of 2).

This works for me, and my particular system.

For you, to start, just record everything for that trade. If it is discretionary, you can even record your feelings at time of entry and/or exit. You never know what you might need a piece of data for.

Follow me on Twitter Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
 scalpingticks 
Chicago, IL

Ugly day today, 8 trades and kept fading an obvious move down in the ES looking back. I'm a bit frustrated in myself for allowing the 8 and 10 tick losers and also to continue trading once I realized I was off my game. I need to set a firm rule that once I'm down 10 ticks I'm out for the day. Traded like a rookie today.

trade 1 -6 long
trade 2 -10 long
trade 3 -4 long
trade 4 +4 short
trade 5 +2 short
trade 6 -8 long
trade 7 -6 long
trade 8 -4 long
net loss of 32 ticks

Thanked by:
 scalpingticks 
Chicago, IL

The other thing that I notice happening when I have days like today is that I abandon my game plan looking for that miracle trade. At one point I was down 20 ticks or so I had a nice 8 tick unrealized profit from the downtrend that I should have taken as a profit but I decided to let it ride to "try to make back my losses" and ended up with a 4 tick stop out. If I would have been even on the day I would have taken that 8 ticks but when I get down I guess I don't think those 8 ticks are worth it since I'm already down on the day. Emotional capital taking a big lump today.

Thanked by:

ratfink 
Birmingham UK
Market Wizard

Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: TST/Rithmic
Trading: YM/Gold
Thanks Given: 17,423
Thanks Received: 8,425

scalpingticks View Post
The other thing that I notice happening when I have days like today is that I abandon my game plan looking for that miracle trade. At one point I was down 20 ticks or so I had a nice 8 tick unrealized profit from the downtrend that I should have taken as a profit but I decided to let it ride to "try to make back my losses" and ended up with a 4 tick stop out. If I would have been even on the day I would have taken that 8 ticks but when I get down I guess I don't think those 8 ticks are worth it since I'm already down on the day. Emotional capital taking a big lump today.

I can relate well to that, a big part of my progress/process is now to remember 'a trade is a trade is a trade' - maybe think that if you took those 'just 8 ticks' every day you would beat most traders..., now that's worth it!

Travel Well
Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
 scalpingticks 
Chicago, IL

I've learned that a lack of discipline is my biggest challenge. I'm actually a pretty decent trader most of the time but not abiding to a specific set of rules is killing my results. IMO being discretionary is to my advantage but I need to develop a core set of rules that I stick to. I'm going to list some rules, if anyone has some additional insight please let me know.

Rule #1: Individual trade loss rule. No losses greater than 4/5/6 ticks per trade
Rule #2: Daily loss rule. Stop trading when loss hits daily limit, 10/12/15
Rule #3: Losing trade limit. Stop trading when I hit 2/3/4 losing trades in a row
Rule #4: Weekly loss limit. Stop trading for the week if either $ amount of # of tick amount is exceeded
Rule #5: Some sort of high watermark profit rule. If I hit X profit intraday, I walk at minimum with X

Thanked by:
 scalpingticks 
Chicago, IL

I know it sounds like an oxymoron and probably is but I was wondering today if it is possible to program an algorithm based on my thoughts on when to enter a trade which is based on pure discretion? In other words, when I take a trade, I always have a very specific reason why I took the trade; for example the high of the day is breached on a slow day, the bids don't follow the price up and it appears longs are covering a few ticks above the high to get out at a good price. Can discretionary "scenarios" be programed?

aiti 
Germany

Platform: Multicharts
Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 373
Thanks Received: 13

Hi scalpingticks,

my scalping strategy for ES and other instruments has mostly discretionary entries. For the Exit I use a program to Takeprofit or Stoploss.
If I want to move Stoploss manually I leave the screen and do something else.(That is one part I have learned from my trading of such "bad" days you talked some posts earlier)

The only rule I allow is to move Takeprofit manually to bigger Profit.

The biggest Problem in trading is not to find your own rules but to follow these rules.
I think this is what makes a Trader profitable.

aiti

Thanked by:

ratfink 
Birmingham UK
Market Wizard

Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: TST/Rithmic
Trading: YM/Gold
Thanks Given: 17,423
Thanks Received: 8,425

scalpingticks View Post
I've learned that a lack of discipline is my biggest challenge. I'm actually a pretty decent trader most of the time but not abiding to a specific set of rules is killing my results. IMO being discretionary is to my advantage but I need to develop a core set of rules that I stick to.

aiti View Post
The biggest Problem in trading is not to find your own rules but to follow these rules.
I think this is what makes a Trader profitable.

Eternal truths indeed. After umpteen years of system development my entire focus is now on this area of psychology, each day I can touch progress but I can't yet hold on to it. Thanks for the posts, I have made decent enough progress on stop rules that I can now contain over-trading days to not be account destroyers, even though I haven't yet managed to stop the over-trading. This was a surprise to me so maybe there is hope yet for the Main Rule to come to fruition soon.

Travel Well
Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

kronie 
NYC + NY / USA

Experience: Advanced
Platform: "I trade, therefore, I AM!"; Theme Song: "Atomic Dog!"
Trading: EMD, 6J, ZB

scalpingticks View Post
I've learned that a lack of discipline is my biggest challenge. I'm actually a pretty decent trader most of the time but not abiding to a specific set of rules is killing my results. IMO being discretionary is to my advantage but I need to develop a core set of rules that I stick to. I'm going to list some rules, if anyone has some additional insight please let me know.

Rule #1: Individual trade loss rule. No losses greater than 4/5/6 ticks per trade
Rule #2: Daily loss rule. Stop trading when loss hits daily limit, 10/12/15
Rule #3: Losing trade limit. Stop trading when I hit 2/3/4 losing trades in a row
Rule #4: Weekly loss limit. Stop trading for the week if either $ amount of # of tick amount is exceeded
Rule #5: Some sort of high watermark profit rule. If I hit X profit intraday, I walk at minimum with X

outstanding short and sweet the number of trading plan rules you outlined

keep them to heart and repeat them each morning with stretching exercises (Japanese psychological approach to marketing at big box retailers)

also, keep in mind, not to over trade or chase, when your timing is off, wait until the world gets back in sync with you!, not you with it!

if you use NinjaTrader, look into configuring the HotKey functions for order submission, maintenance and cancellation. These might help with your trade acuity (the ability to see, decide, act and accept the outcomes) all without emotion....

hotkeys can also be the express train track to ruin and being thrown under the bus and having the old ladies trample you down... (see how that progressively smaller and lower decline occurs?, humor)

ATB! (all the best, that;s my motto)

Last Updated on September 15, 2013

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts