NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

cunparis journal, thoughts, and more

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one cunparis with 532 posts (485 thanks)
    2. looks_two gabga100 with 28 posts (10 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Big Mike with 27 posts (22 thanks)
    4. looks_4 rassi with 27 posts (13 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one fiki with 2.9 thanks per post
    2. looks_two BunnyDumb with 2.4 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 cunparis with 0.9 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Big Mike with 0.8 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 166,696 views
    2. thumb_up 763 thanks given
    3. group 56 followers
    1. forum 905 posts
    2. attach_file 372 attachments

Closed Thread

Search this Thread

cunparis journal, thoughts, and more

deltason 
Memphis, Tennessee

Experience: None
Platform: NinjaTrader
Trading: ES, EUR/USD
Thanks Given: 1,613
Thanks Received: 122

cunparis View Post
Thought that last one my be just a coincidence so here's the day before and the day before that.

So now the question is am I seeing what I want to see? or when price divergences does it return???

Is that the supertrend indicator?

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Quant vue
Trading Reviews and Vendors
Pivot Indicator like the old SwingTemp by Big Mike
NinjaTrader
How to apply profiles
Traders Hideout
Cheap historycal L1 data for stocks
Stocks and ETFs
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
What is Markets Chat (markets.chat) real-time trading ro …
77 thanks
Spoo-nalysis ES e-mini futures S&P 500
55 thanks
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
38 thanks
Bigger Wins or Fewer Losses?
24 thanks
The Program
17 thanks

cunparis 
Paris, France

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Market Delta & Ninjatrader
Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 1,162
Thanks Received: 2,094

deltason View Post
Is that the supertrend indicator?

No, supertrend is based on price. This one, like all my indicators, is based on non-price data and in this case it's volume. Larry Williams wrote in one of his books, "A cannot predict A" and "Price cannot predict Price". I didn't believe him when i read it because I thought a high RSI or a price outside a bollinger band would revert to the mean. But now I believe him.

Here's the last few days. I'm still working on how to interpret this. 4/14 was an imbalanced day and 4/15 was a balanced day. So I'm studying it to see how it behaves in the two. In the imbalanced day, it is the indicator that caught up with price. In the imbalanced day, price overshoots and returns to the indicator. Replace the word "indicator" with "value" and I think it all starts to make sense.

PS: I wouldn't use this mechanically, I think it could give a bias though. if price goes too far away from value, say above value then there would be a short bias. to far below value would be a long bias.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	es new indicator.png
Views:	202
Size:	10.3 KB
ID:	11321  
Follow me on Twitter Started this thread
Thanked by:

cunparis 
Paris, France

Here is a dax trade from this morning, I think it shows what I'm looking for.

Tradestation charts (left)

1 - highest timeframe in uptrend (breakout of resistance)
2 - lowest timeframe cyclical turning point in direction of trend - Setup #1

MD charts (to the right of TS charts)

1 - lower timeframe I drew the unfair high & low, went long on a triple bottom with volume breakdown divergence at unfair low

MD Footprint

1 - I did an aggressive entry on the HVN. usually I wait for some buyers to lift the offer, they did and there was a pullback and retest of the low and that's when I entered on the way up after the pullback

my target is +10 and I had my stop at +2 which is a tick under the current bar on the ladder chart. I saw a HVN node developing and I figured if price broke below it that would mean sellers were more aggressive. Price continued stalling at the fair value line (see chart 2) so I got out with +5 ticks which was pscyhologically important because it made me positive for the day. The market is really slow and it's about that time when I start looking at the Euro.

I'd love to get some comments on this setup, which is from the l2st trading plan (simplified version for crude). I have some concerns about it. The main one is that if you look at the market profile chart, we're near the upper end of the daily balance area. I hesitate to go long up their as the market could return to value.

All comments & feedback greatly appreciated.

PS: Price dropped back down towards the unfair low so I did well to exit. I'm learning that my intuition is really improving. Often I don't trust it and miss a move.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	dax trade 04 long off unfair low.png
Views:	234
Size:	410.3 KB
ID:	11325   Click image for larger version

Name:	dax trade 04 exit.png
Views:	235
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	11326  
Thanked by:

cunparis 
Paris, France

The outcome of the trade after I exited. It would have stopped me out at breakeven and eventually did hit the unfair high to the tick.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	dax trade 04 after.png
Views:	182
Size:	17.4 KB
ID:	11327   Click image for larger version

Name:	dax trade 04 after2.png
Views:	174
Size:	8.7 KB
ID:	11328  
Thanked by:

fiki 
sweden

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: TOS, NT
Thanks Given: 61
Thanks Received: 433

CP,

I usually dont mind the developing blance area that much. It´s mostly important in relation to the previos areas. From the mp chart it seems that price is at ydays POC and VA. Actually because c opend inside i´d look to the upper part of ydays VA (80%-rule). Todays development also shows the most trade took place below the developing POC, that would favour the upside (tpo-count) aswell. Whats worring is that bulk of trade that took place over ydays profile...

Thanked by:

cunparis 
Paris, France

fiki View Post
CP,

I usually dont mind the developing blance area that much. It´s mostly important in relation to the previos areas. From the mp chart it seems that price is at ydays POC and VA. Actually because c opend inside i´d look to the upper part of ydays VA (80%-rule). Todays development also shows the most trade took place below the developing POC, that would favour the upside (tpo-count) aswell. Whats worring is that bulk of trade that took place over ydays profile...

Very interesting Fiki. L2ST puts more emphasis on today's profile whereas a lot of other traders put more emphasis on yesterday's profile. Since I'm new to Market Profile I'm learning the pros & cons of each.

It's interesting that you said that since the vwap is below the DPOC that it favors the upside. I was reading a thread at trader's laboratory where the thread starter was saying the opposite. I have been trying to prove or disprove his theory but haven't had any luck either way so far. Here's what he said:

Quoting 
3) Conversely, if the VWAP is below the PVP, then more volume has traded below the PVP than above it; the distribution function is skewed to the downside and the expectation is that when price is at the PVP, price action should move down.

You have to read the rest of the post to get the context I think.

I'm curious why you say it gives a bias to the upside? The way I see it, the average person paid less than the "fair value price" and so that would favor the upside. But I can see it the other way: "the price fair to the most traders is above the average price, so they must think it's going down". I actually think it depends on context really. in an unbalanced market that is moving higher, those who paid before the fair price have an advantage so that is upside. But it gets confusing after that.

One more thing: in my trade I'm just going for 10 ticks so one could even say that the bigger picture doesn't really matter. However I'm hoping to add a 2nd target and get more than 10 so the big picture is important.

Thanks for sharing.

hegh 
paris

Thanks Given: 1
Thanks Received: 54

hello

if you are referring to Markte statistics jperles on Traderslaboratory , you're right.
Well, this is still a theory which I decline to prove or disprove the validity, each point of view.
Regarding Trend today, Bear Gap has surprised many. But if you look at the weekly profile, we are in a range, therefore, a lower buy is more likely to succeed than to sell the lower range.

Thanked by:

fiki 
sweden

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: TOS, NT
Thanks Given: 61
Thanks Received: 433

CP,
I took a trade today and i took 2 screen dumps in the middle of the trade as i moved my stops higher. i´m not in the trade longer because i closed it by misstake when it went to 1206 and i wanted to move my stop to 1204.5. i first clicked on target to move it higher but then changed my mind and clicked on the stop to move that instead. so target got moved to 1204.5 and the trade was close atm. now its above my exit and i cant bring myself to buy higher than i sold

but i dont even look at the daily profile that much. most classic mp, steidlmayer, dalton (and even newer alexander) put move empishis on the previos strukture. we´re trading ydays value and betting that nothing changed that offset this value. todays profile cna be usefull to gauge previous value or somtimes when its more developed you can trade it.

I read all that vwap-volume statistic method/system but i don share their view. like you said it in the context. genereally if you se bulk of volume(tpos) under poc this is bullish. why? because it shows you that buyers are willing to step up. if there is no buyers the profile would be thin. it would be a 1-sided trade only. now the vwap i use differently. its the average price and i look at it in realtion to vpoc. for me thats more short term condition. both represent a fair price. if i see volume builing over vwap i know buyers are agressive. vwap is the most common institution benchmark for a good price to the costumers. if people are willing to buy above i think its bullish.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	trade.png
Views:	202
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	11329   Click image for larger version

Name:	orderflow.png
Views:	189
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	11330  
Thanked by:

cunparis 
Paris, France

hegh View Post
hello

if you are referring to Markte statistics jperles on Traderslaboratory , you're right.
Well, this is still a theory which I decline to prove or disprove the validity, each point of view.
Regarding Trend today, Bear Gap has surprised many. But if you look at the weekly profile, we are in a range, therefore, a lower buy is more likely to succeed than to sell the lower range.

probably no right or wrong, just different ways of thinking of it.

His reasoning is that at the VWAP it's the center of the distribution, there are an equal number of prices below & above. So at the VWAP it has 50/50 of going up or down. But what's confusing to me is if the distribution is not a normal distribution, then are the odds really 50/50?

Here is a link to the index thread which has links to the individual threads, one for each topic. I think it's great reading:

Trading With Market Statistics - LINKS

hegh 
paris

Thanks Given: 1
Thanks Received: 54

I read all the lessons at least 3 times.
But I disagree totally its point of view.
For me, the slope of VWAP has more significance than the relationship between PVP and VWAP.

Closed Thread

Last Updated on December 3, 2010

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts