NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

cunparis journal, thoughts, and more

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one cunparis with 532 posts (485 thanks)
    2. looks_two gabga100 with 28 posts (10 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Big Mike with 27 posts (22 thanks)
    4. looks_4 rassi with 27 posts (13 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one fiki with 2.9 thanks per post
    2. looks_two BunnyDumb with 2.4 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 cunparis with 0.9 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Big Mike with 0.8 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 166,169 views
    2. thumb_up 763 thanks given
    3. group 56 followers
    1. forum 905 posts
    2. attach_file 372 attachments

Closed Thread

Search this Thread

cunparis journal, thoughts, and more

cunparis 
Paris, France

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Market Delta & Ninjatrader
Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 1,162
Thanks Received: 2,093

Tradetronics View Post
Bonjour, mon ami!

Comment ca va aujourd'hui? Was it the gap trade that made you 5.25 points in the ES?

What do you think about the gap trade?

Regards,
TT

I did 9 trades on ES and my target is 1 pt. If I see a good setup for a bigger move I will do an extra contract and try for more than 1 pt. Today that didn't happen as the market was very balanced.

By gap trade do you mean fading the gap? A gap getting filled is one thing I look for but I need to see some evidence that the market is going to fill it. So to do it one needs to have a good feel for the market. Some gaps are due to a change in sentiment overnight. Some are due to manipulation by smart money.

Follow me on Twitter Started this thread

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
MC PL editor upgrade
MultiCharts
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader
The choice of instruments to trade
Psychology and Money Management
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
Any futures traders in Texas looking to give back to tho …
Traders Hideout

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Diary of a simple price action trader
20 thanks
My NQ Trading Journal
19 thanks
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
17 thanks
Tao te Trade: way of the WLD
10 thanks
HumbleTraders next chapter
9 thanks

cunparis 
Paris, France

bluemele View Post
Cunparis,

I see this a lot in all the forums and traders that I have met. They are really really good and learn to dance with a specific investment, then they try to 'deworsify' into something else that requires a little different skill set.

Excellent post. Scalping dax & crude was kind of a happy accident. I was interested in scalping ES & The Bund. So I was researching some scalpers and I saw a video of a guy scalping the dax. I noticed what he was doing and so I tried it out and it worked right off the bat. So I tried it on crude and it worked. I did that on sim for 3 days and it was unbelieveable how well it worked.

However the reason it worked was more of a coincidence IMHO. The market was balanced last week. The past 3 days have been more of a challenge. And I wasn't looking for a challenge.

So I hope that answers your question. Sometimes I wait 30-60 minutes for a setup on ES/Bund (I trade them the same) and my thinking was I could scalp dax/crude. But it's not that easy. What makes me successful on ES is my feel for it and the fact I study the context quite seriously (knowing all S/R levels for example). I can't do that on Crude & Dax, I don't have time.

Please don't think it was for a challenge or ego or anything like that. I just thought I found something easy. I was a bit naïf. So I think you're right, because dax/crude takes my attention away from bund/es. so when bund/es are trading I'll focus on them.

I need to start increasing my size and building consistency. That's the most important thing right now. I can't keep trading 1-2 lots forever. Time to take it up a notch.

cunparis 
Paris, France

bluemele View Post
ForexFactory.com is a great example to me of people who are there to build friendships, build EGO, more than make money.

Do anyone of them make money? Many of the threads are about systems and when I skip to the end (I always start at the last post) I see the majority of them (all of them?) never work out.

bluemele 
Honolulu, Hawaii

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: ATC/TT, AMP/Zen-Fire, AMP/CQG
Trading: TF
Thanks Given: 3,803
Thanks Received: 2,842

cunparis View Post
Do anyone of them make money? Many of the threads are about systems and when I skip to the end (I always start at the last post) I see the majority of them (all of them?) never work out.

In my opinion, they would all work! It is just a matter of sticking to them and proper money management.

Nobody does, they go through one big trend period and the range traders go out (including myself). One or two big ranges and the trend traders all jump ship.

Forex is terrible for smaller time frame trading compared to futures in my opinion. The cheapest commissions are like $8.00 and that is if you get filled anywhere near your target entry! haha... I never get my entry even with ATC etc..

Makes no sense to me. Might as well just trade futures and click the 'market' button. haha..

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal
Thanked by:

bluemele 
Honolulu, Hawaii

Broker: ATC/TT, AMP/Zen-Fire, AMP/CQG
Trading: TF
Thanks Given: 3,803
Thanks Received: 2,842

cunparis View Post
Excellent post. Scalping dax & crude was kind of a happy accident. I was interested in scalping ES & The Bund. So I was researching some scalpers and I saw a video of a guy scalping the dax. I noticed what he was doing and so I tried it out and it worked right off the bat. So I tried it on crude and it worked. I did that on sim for 3 days and it was unbelieveable how well it worked.

However the reason it worked was more of a coincidence IMHO. The market was balanced last week. The past 3 days have been more of a challenge. And I wasn't looking for a challenge.

So I hope that answers your question. Sometimes I wait 30-60 minutes for a setup on ES/Bund (I trade them the same) and my thinking was I could scalp dax/crude. But it's not that easy. What makes me successful on ES is my feel for it and the fact I study the context quite seriously (knowing all S/R levels for example). I can't do that on Crude & Dax, I don't have time.

Please don't think it was for a challenge or ego or anything like that. I just thought I found something easy. I was a bit naïf. So I think you're right, because dax/crude takes my attention away from bund/es. so when bund/es are trading I'll focus on them.

I need to start increasing my size and building consistency. That's the most important thing right now. I can't keep trading 1-2 lots forever. Time to take it up a notch.

Yes, I have jumped ship on so many different things....

Had I stuck w/ what I am doing now I would already be profitably daily I believe.

I am not saying you have a big EGO. That is just a reason why some do a lot of posting etc. For me I always try to figure out why my subconscious is doing something, or what I do unconsciously.

The words I keep saying to myself are "Stay the Course!!".

I enjoy your journal. Good fortunes on the trading.

Thanked by:
 jitasb 
London, England

Broker: IB, Kinetic
Trading: Stocks
Thanks Given: 22
Thanks Received: 226

cunparis View Post
So what does that leave? Price, volume, & the DOM.

So to answer your question, if I had it to do all over again I would do it totally differently. I'd start by watching the DOM only (no charts) for months. As long as it took. And then I'd add charts only for support & context. Instead I went the other way. Pulling my hair out wondering why things didn't work as expected when in fact the answer was right there before my eyes.

So to summarize, the only thing I believe in is what's happening right now. Is the market balanced or not? Is the current price getting accepted as fair? If not, in which way is it moving. I look in the past to see what was accepted or rejected to give me an idea of what I may find in the future. that's it in a nutshell.

Hello,

Enjoying reading your journal and also your blog.
Above you mention about watching DOM only for months. But I presume you have to know what to look for, otherwise you could be watching and not "seeing" what you are supposed to see ? So would a person have to have some guidance on this, in terms of the essential nuts and bolts. Wondering if you have any views on this and on where to get such guidance if required ?

Also is the DOM 'easier' on some instruments ? e.g. would it be easier on slower markets ? Is the ES tougher to read than say the Bund etc.

Look forward to your views.

Thanks.

Thanked by:

cunparis 
Paris, France

jitasb View Post
Hello,

Enjoying reading your journal and also your blog.
Above you mention about watching DOM only for months. But I presume you have to know what to look for, otherwise you could be watching and not "seeing" what you are supposed to see ? So would a person have to have some guidance on this, in terms of the essential nuts and bolts. Wondering if you have any views on this and on where to get such guidance if required ?

Also is the DOM 'easier' on some instruments ? e.g. would it be easier on slower markets ? Is the ES tougher to read than say the Bund etc.

Look forward to your views.

Thanks.

Great questions. The No BS Day Trading ebook & video will give you an idea of what to look for, but my experience is it never happens exactly as he describes. However reading that will give you an idea of what to look for. Basically you have to constantly be looking at how the bids & offers are changing along with price, and what is traded where and are the bids & offers pulled or trading? It's quite demanding really and a couple hours is enough. There's a lot of other stuff and after you see if for a while you just "know" if a bid is real or fake, if it's about to get pulled, etc. After watching it for a while you start to develop your intuition. I've been using the DOM for exits for a year now, but was using bar charts for entries.

It may not be clear from my posts so let me summarize: For ES & Bund I use my charts to determine where I'd like to enter trades. When price gets there, I look at the DOM to find a good low-risk spot to enter and then I manage the trade on the DOM. This will be the subject of my next blog post. So for ES & Bund I'm not watching only the DOM. In between trades I watch the DOM to study it and learn it and if I can I scalp for 1 pt. Today's trades were just scalps off the DOM but I was watching the charts to see the balance area & the high & low. The guys who trade DOM only have to remember the highs & lows, I find it easier to look at a chart. But there is a big difference between looking at a chart to see where price is in relation to where it was, and using a chart to enter on a bar pattern or a higher high etc. The latter I do not do any more.

It's definitely easier in slower markets. The no bs guy recommends treasuries. Since I already trade ES & Bund I just study the DOM on those. ES goes pretty quick. I spent a few weeks watching ZN and it's easier & slower but also boring. Euro moves too fast and crude & dax are way too fast to learn. So I'd recommend ZN or ES for US hours and Bund or Stoxx for European hours.

Thanked by:
 vegasfoster 
las vegas

Platform: Sierra Chart
Broker: Velocity/IB
Trading: 6E
Thanks Given: 304
Thanks Received: 844

cunparis View Post
I saw a video of a guy scalping the dax.

I'd be interested to see it, would you mind posting the link?

cunparis 
Paris, France

vegasfoster View Post
I'd be interested to see it, would you mind posting the link?

I don't have a specific link I was just searching you tube for scalping and watching all the videos I could fine. There are a lot on dax scalping. Many don't have sound so we don't really know what they're doing.

Thanked by:
 jitasb 
London, England

Broker: IB, Kinetic
Trading: Stocks
Thanks Given: 22
Thanks Received: 226

cunparis View Post
Great questions. The No BS Day Trading ebook & video will give you an idea of what to look for, but my experience is it never happens exactly as he describes. However reading that will give you an idea of what to look for. Basically you have to constantly be looking at how the bids & offers are changing along with price, and what is traded where and are the bids & offers pulled or trading? It's quite demanding really and a couple hours is enough. There's a lot of other stuff and after you see if for a while you just "know" if a bid is real or fake, if it's about to get pulled, etc. After watching it for a while you start to develop your intuition. I've been using the DOM for exits for a year now, but was using bar charts for entries.

It may not be clear from my posts so let me summarize: For ES & Bund I use my charts to determine where I'd like to enter trades. When price gets there, I look at the DOM to find a good low-risk spot to enter and then I manage the trade on the DOM. This will be the subject of my next blog post. So for ES & Bund I'm not watching only the DOM. In between trades I watch the DOM to study it and learn it and if I can I scalp for 1 pt. Today's trades were just scalps off the DOM but I was watching the charts to see the balance area & the high & low. The guys who trade DOM only have to remember the highs & lows, I find it easier to look at a chart. But there is a big difference between looking at a chart to see where price is in relation to where it was, and using a chart to enter on a bar pattern or a higher high etc. The latter I do not do any more.

It's definitely easier in slower markets. The no bs guy recommends treasuries. Since I already trade ES & Bund I just study the DOM on those. ES goes pretty quick. I spent a few weeks watching ZN and it's easier & slower but also boring. Euro moves too fast and crude & dax are way too fast to learn. So I'd recommend ZN or ES for US hours and Bund or Stoxx for European hours.

Thanks for info.

I forgot to ask about platform. Form what I have read generally X-Trader is the one to have ? If I watch the DOM in Tradestation for example, presumably that won't give me as much in terms of learning ??

Closed Thread

Last Updated on December 3, 2010

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts