NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Taking a Trading System Live

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one kevinkdog with 260 posts (717 thanks)
    2. looks_two Big Mike with 61 posts (97 thanks)
    3. looks_3 deaddog with 25 posts (24 thanks)
    4. looks_4 swz168 with 20 posts (40 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one kevinkdog with 2.8 thanks per post
    2. looks_two swz168 with 2 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 rk142 with 2 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Big Mike with 1.6 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 96,261 views
    2. thumb_up 1,131 thanks given
    3. group 99 followers
    1. forum 529 posts
    2. attach_file 189 attachments

Search this Thread

Taking a Trading System Live

kevinkdog   is a Vendor

Thanks Given: 1,890
Thanks Received: 7,338

I haven't posted here in a week or 2, since there really has not been much of interest. I'll post an update at end of week, but performance since the last update has been choppy - up and down. Up a little bit since the last update, but still trading 1 contract.

The most interesting trade happened on Jan 10th. The system put a sell short limit order in at 8 AM. At 8:30:01, the short was filled. At 8:30:06, the stop was hit. 5 seconds for a loss of $450! Fun times!!!

Follow me on Twitter Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
The space time continuum and the dynamics of a financial …
Emini and Emicro Index
Are there any eval firms that allow you to sink to your …
Traders Hideout
NexusFi Journal Challenge - April 2024
Feedback and Announcements
Futures True Range Report
The Elite Circle
Build trailing stop for micro index(s)
Psychology and Money Management

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
59 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
37 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
23 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
22 thanks
The Program
19 thanks
 kevinkdog   is a Vendor

Here are the updated charts as of Week 22 (plus 1 Sunday night trade on Week 23).

So far, the system is at a 32% annual rate of return. Acceptable, but nowhere near what is should be doing. The last few weeks have been pretty representative of this system - meandering up and down, no real progress.

I am still trading with one contract, although I am about $200-300 away from adding on a contract. Hopefully soon.

Questions or comments? Please feel free to ask...

Thanked by:
 kevinkdog   is a Vendor

After 23 weeks, it is time to increase size (again!). If you will recall the first time I increased size, I was hit with a couple of losers, and had to drop back down to 1 contract. It took a while to get me back up above the contract adding equity point ($10,114), but I am now there. Hopefully for a while!

Annualized Return = 48.9%

Max Month End Drawdown = 7.3%

kevinkdog   is a Vendor

Here are the equity curves as generated by the Tradestation Strategy Backtest Engine. I consider these "perfect" performance - if my real money results match these results, that is good.

As it turns out, I am doing better than "perfect" - you can see that in the table in the post right above (compare "Perfect Cumu" with "Actual Cumulative").

Anyhow, my point for showing this is to show how the walkforward test results match up with the incubation/real money results. I'd say they are both performing as planned, although the nighttime strategy has been in a drawdown for quite a while.

kevinkdog   is a Vendor

So, after finally increasing account equity enough to jump from 1 contracts to 2 contracts (per the plan), this week I have been ready to trade 2 contracts for any trade, at long as my equity stays above the predetermined cutoff point.

Last night I took the week's first 2 contract trade. Guess what happened?

Of course, a full size loss occurred.

What makes it even worse is that I was 1 or 2 ticks from hitting my profit target, before price dropped, hitting my stop (but turning around only a few ticks lower) and then zooming up past where my profit target was! See the chart below.

Once again, I am left feeling like the market is out to get me...

Next week will probably be back down to 1 contract again.

Thanked by:
 tihfa 
detroit, mi

Experience: Beginner
Platform: TradeStation
Trading: SPY
Thanks Given: 1,524
Thanks Received: 80

kevinkdog View Post

kevin,

i am assuming you have done ? the study, individual chart reads, for your losses to optimize against "market is out to get me" few or several ticks stop levels?

are the last few stop-outs simply 'outside x sigma' that you used to define your stop level?

if you were to make stops more robust, wider, how would that affect you historical back-test curve?

regards,
tihfa

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
 kevinkdog   is a Vendor

tihfa View Post
kevin,

i am assuming you have done ? the study, individual chart reads, for your losses to optimize against "market is out to get me" few or several ticks stop levels?

are the last few stop-outs simply 'outside x sigma' that you used to define your stop level?

if you were to make stops more robust, wider, how would that affect you historical back-test curve?

regards,
tihfa

It is very probable that my stops right now are not be in the best location. For this strategy, the stop is 34 ticks, which originally came from the TopStep Combine I used this system for. I had to keep the max loss after slippage and commissions to $500 - hence 34 tick limit.

So, when I ran my walkforward analysis, I let the stop be anywhere from 1 tick to 34 ticks. Not surprisingly, 34 ticks was chosen for most walkforward periods as the "optimum." If I had 40 ticks max allowable, I bet the optimum would have been close to 40.

A good question for me now is "since the TopStep loss limit doesn't apply to you now, why not just change your stop?" The answer is that I could, but I decided instead to let "sleeping dogs lie" rather than continuously tinker and adjust what I felt was a decent strategy.

tturner86 
Portland, Oregon

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: F-16CM-40
Trading: GBU-39
Thanks Given: 10,459
Thanks Received: 12,695

This may seem silly, but why not wait until your account is a bit larger before increase your position size? i.e. ~$13000 or something.

If one trade with 2 cars that hits a loss throws you back below the limit, why not wait until the account is larger and has a cushion? That way you can survive to take multiple trades with 2 cars?

Thanked by:
 tihfa 
detroit, mi

Experience: Beginner
Platform: TradeStation
Trading: SPY
Thanks Given: 1,524
Thanks Received: 80

kevinkdog View Post
It is very probable that my stops right now are not be in the best location. For this strategy, the stop is 34 ticks, which originally came from the TopStep Combine I used this system for. I had to keep the max loss after slippage and commissions to $500 - hence 34 tick limit.

So, when I ran my walkforward analysis, I let the stop be anywhere from 1 tick to 34 ticks. Not surprisingly, 34 ticks was chosen for most walkforward periods as the "optimum." If I had 40 ticks max allowable, I bet the optimum would have been close to 40.

A good question for me now is "since the TopStep loss limit doesn't apply to you now, why not just change your stop?" The answer is that I could, but I decided instead to let "sleeping dogs lie" rather than continuously tinker and adjust what I felt was a decent strategy.

sounds to me your stop level for single individual trades is not adjusted based on some price action behavior and/or price structure but perhaps some type of MAE statistics including TopStep and personal account money availability?

if your stop loss amount cannot be modeled/"explained" through price 'action' then you will have frequently have MAE cases outside your static constant x sigma???

in any case, if this has been working out in your other models then like we established in prior discussions, then it is expected to see drawdowns and flat periods based on your historical curves. your true performance then is only to be accounted for over years not months.

tihfa

Thanked by:
 kevinkdog   is a Vendor

tturner86 View Post
This may seem silly, but why not wait until your account is a bit larger before increase your position size? i.e. ~$13000 or something.

If one trade with 2 cars that hits a loss throws you back below the limit, why not wait until the account is larger and has a cushion? That way you can survive to take multiple trades with 2 cars?

Not silly at all, you bring up a perfectly valid question. Earlier in the thread I explain why I chose the position sizing I did, and basically up front I wanted to add a second contract as quickly as possible, after some reasonable profits were achieved.

You have hit on the flaw with the position sizing I am using - it is a straight calculation going up and going down. So, when I am over $10,140, I go from 1 to 2. If I fall back below $10,140, I drop from 2 to 1. This means that first trade after adding a contract has to be a winner, or I'll have to drop back down.

The alternative to this is to have 2 calculations - one for going up, and 1 for going down. In this case, maybe I would add 1 contract at $10,140, but stay at that level unless equity falls below $9500 (or some other number). Obviously, I'd have to adjust both numbers to meet any risk limits.

I have done exactly this with other systems, but I tried to keep things really simple in this case. That is not looking to be a good decision!

Thanks for the comment. You brought up a great idea!

Last Updated on January 6, 2016

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts