NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Taking a Trading System Live

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one kevinkdog with 260 posts (717 thanks)
    2. looks_two Big Mike with 61 posts (97 thanks)
    3. looks_3 deaddog with 25 posts (24 thanks)
    4. looks_4 swz168 with 20 posts (40 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one kevinkdog with 2.8 thanks per post
    2. looks_two swz168 with 2 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 rk142 with 2 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Big Mike with 1.6 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 96,261 views
    2. thumb_up 1,131 thanks given
    3. group 99 followers
    1. forum 529 posts
    2. attach_file 189 attachments

Search this Thread

Taking a Trading System Live

kevinkdog   is a Vendor

Thanks Given: 1,890
Thanks Received: 7,338

Koepisch View Post
Excellent and fast analysis, great @kevinkdog! Due to the similarity of the results i would trust even more in the system. Furthermore you can trust your monte carlo analysis related money managment decisions - because it's BACKED with practical "What-if" "Start Trade Drawdown" analysis.

@Koepisch - I certainly appreciate you bringing this topic up! It is a worthwhile issue to discuss and understand.

Follow me on Twitter Started this thread Reply With Quote

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Futures True Range Report
The Elite Circle
Are there any eval firms that allow you to sink to your …
Traders Hideout
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
The space time continuum and the dynamics of a financial …
Emini and Emicro Index

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
61 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
39 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
26 thanks
The Program
18 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
18 thanks
 ahwii 
Austria, Vienna

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: CQG Trader, NT
Broker: Velocity
Trading: FDAX
Thanks Given: 88
Thanks Received: 56

Hello kevinkdog

I really love your thread and the way you determine your optimal position size. I am following a similar approach using Monte Carlo simulations and the maximum drawdown found via those simulations.

The 38% drawdown is something i would not want to see myself. Of course i am not suggesting that it is not right for you, i am merely curious as to why it is acceptable for you.

From your posts i assume you plan on rerunning the analysis with new data periodically to avoid "deviation from reality" in your position sizing. Is that correct?

Do you have a system stop loss over periods of time? Personally i am currently thinking about stopping the system when it is down a given amount (or % value) in X amount of time (1 week for example). I would the analyse the cause for this - maybe the system stopped to work, the markets changed fundamentally, flash crash, or maybe just some unprobable string of losses. If i find that i should trade the system despite this massive drawdown, i would start it again - with a system stop loss found by analysis including the new data.

Lastly, i recently read Van Tharp's book, and it really is a must read. Nassim Taleb's Fooled by Randomness is also good, although more on the philosophical side of things (but it nevertheless changed my approach to things).

What are your thoughts?

"I don't even see the code anymore. I just see blonde, brunette, redhead..." -Cipher, The Matrix
 kevinkdog   is a Vendor

ahwii View Post
Hello kevinkdog

I really love your thread and the way you determine your optimal position size. I am following a similar approach using Monte Carlo simulations and the maximum drawdown found via those simulations.

The 38% drawdown is something i would not want to see myself. Of course i am not suggesting that it is not right for you, i am merely curious as to why it is acceptable for you.

From your posts i assume you plan on rerunning the analysis with new data periodically to avoid "deviation from reality" in your position sizing. Is that correct?

Do you have a system stop loss over periods of time? Personally i am currently thinking about stopping the system when it is down a given amount (or % value) in X amount of time (1 week for example). I would the analyse the cause for this - maybe the system stopped to work, the markets changed fundamentally, flash crash, or maybe just some unprobable string of losses. If i find that i should trade the system despite this massive drawdown, i would start it again - with a system stop loss found by analysis including the new data.

Lastly, i recently read Van Tharp's book, and it really is a must read. Nassim Taleb's Fooled by Randomness is also good, although more on the philosophical side of things (but it nevertheless changed my approach to things).

What are your thoughts?

Thanks for the kind comments, @ahwii. Here are some answers:

1. The 38% drawdown is OK to me, mainly because I trade a bunch of different strategies, and diversification will help mitigate this large drawdown. I agree it is big, though - maybe I should be taking less risk.

2. I might change my position sizing ONLY if the system does really well. In that (hopeful) case, I would scale back the risk I am taking. If it happens, I will detail it here.

3. My "system stop" point is a $5,000 drawdown, based on trading a single contract. The will be the maximum. I may cut it shorter, probably not, but if I do I'll detail my reasoning in this thread.

4. I like most of what Tharp and Taleb have to say. I don't agree with everything, but their works stimulate (and sometimes change) my thinking on things.

kevinkdog   is a Vendor

Here is summary info after the first week of trading...

Thanked by:

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 33,172
Thanks Received: 101,536

kevinkdog View Post
NOTE: This post scratches the surface of a complicated issue...proceed at your own risk...

OK, I ran the analysis. For everyone reading this, the issue is that, depending on your trade data, Monte Carlo analysis is not always a correct tool to use.

So, to first test this (is Monte Carlo OK to use?), I run something called the Durvin-Watson statistic. It checks for positive and negative autocorrelation. I think you can google search to find this for an Excel spreadsheet, what it means, etc. I'm no mathematician, so I will defer from getting into detail on this calculation.

Suffice it to say, for my NGEC system, the analysis says there is no autocorrelation issue, so I can use Monte Carlo analysis.

So to answer Koepisch's excellent question - how does Monte Carlo analysis compare with the "Start Trade Drawdown" analysis he mentions a couple of posts ago?

Again, without getting into too much detail, here are the results:

With the uncertainty of this whole analysis, it says that the 2 methods give very similar values for drawdown. The Monte Carlo gives more "worst case" scenarios - higher drawdowns than the Start Trade method, and this shows up as a greater standard deviation.

Thanks, Koepisch, for helping me add to the analysis here. The "Start Trade Drawdown" approach is verty interesting and useful.

New to me.

I am always trying to look at correlation across a portfolio. Can you briefly tell me what inputs you are using and if you are generating this data yourself and piping it to Excel, or some other tool?

My hurdle has been trying to feed a dozen strategies (trade output) into Excel, having to do it manually is less than ideal.

Mike

We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
 kevinkdog   is a Vendor

Big Mike View Post
New to me.

I am always trying to look at correlation across a portfolio. Can you briefly tell me what inputs you are using and if you are generating this data yourself and piping it to Excel, or some other tool?

My hurdle has been trying to feed a dozen strategies (trade output) into Excel, having to do it manually is less than ideal.

Mike

I basically just input the trade by trade P/Ls. I do it manually.

When I do a portfolio of strategies, I'll copy/paste the daily P/L to Excel.

Once in Excel, I'd do a correlation test over the time period of interest.

You are right, doing it manually many times would be cumbersome.

Doesn't Ninja have some sort of porting to Excel feature, or DDE link? That might make it more automated for you.

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Thanks Given: 33,172
Thanks Received: 101,536

kevinkdog View Post
Doesn't Ninja have some sort of porting to Excel feature, or DDE link? That might make it more automated for you.

I have threads on this, somewhere... basically I found it easier to write my own output. Unfortunately, still terrible. I want actual portfolio management, backtesting and reporting built-in to the platform, but there is no demand for it apparently.

Mike

We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
 kevinkdog   is a Vendor

Big Mike View Post
I have threads on this, somewhere... basically I found it easier to write my own output. Unfortunately, still terrible. I want actual portfolio management, backtesting and reporting built-in to the platform, but there is no demand for it apparently.

Mike

I could guess at why there is no demand for it...the funny thing is, once you start trading multiple strategies, it takes on huge significance.

Thanked by:

deaddog 
Prince George BC Canada
Legendary Market Wizard

Platform: National Bank Direct
Broker: NBD/BMO/Questrade
Trading: Stocks
Thanks Given: 183
Thanks Received: 3,962

kevinkdog View Post
Here is summary info after the first week of trading...

Is that the summary for the week or for today.

It would be nice if you could present it in the same format s the daily combine report or at least on a trade by trade basis. It makes it easier for us novices to follow.

ahwii 
Austria, Vienna

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: CQG Trader, NT
Broker: Velocity
Trading: FDAX
Thanks Given: 88
Thanks Received: 56

kevinkdog View Post
Thanks for the kind comments, @ahwii. Here are some answers:

1. The 38% drawdown is OK to me, mainly because I trade a bunch of different strategies, and diversification will help mitigate this large drawdown. I agree it is big, though - maybe I should be taking less risk.

2. I might change my position sizing ONLY if the system does really well. In that (hopeful) case, I would scale back the risk I am taking. If it happens, I will detail it here.

3. My "system stop" point is a $5,000 drawdown, based on trading a single contract. The will be the maximum. I may cut it shorter, probably not, but if I do I'll detail my reasoning in this thread.

4. I like most of what Tharp and Taleb have to say. I don't agree with everything, but their works stimulate (and sometimes change) my thinking on things.

Thanks for the response!
So the drawdown number is for one strategy, which makes the overall max drawdown smaller because the strategies are uncorrelated. Seems i have misunderstood your posts as i thought it was for the whole portfolio. Makes sense now, thanks for clearing that up.

Thanks for addressing the other points as well, now i better understand what you are doing. Looking forward to you posting here!

Have a nice weekend

"I don't even see the code anymore. I just see blonde, brunette, redhead..." -Cipher, The Matrix

Last Updated on January 6, 2016

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts