NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Taking a Trading System Live

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one kevinkdog with 260 posts (717 thanks)
    2. looks_two Big Mike with 61 posts (97 thanks)
    3. looks_3 deaddog with 25 posts (24 thanks)
    4. looks_4 swz168 with 20 posts (40 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one kevinkdog with 2.8 thanks per post
    2. looks_two swz168 with 2 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 rk142 with 2 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Big Mike with 1.6 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 97,081 views
    2. thumb_up 1,131 thanks given
    3. group 99 followers
    1. forum 529 posts
    2. attach_file 189 attachments

Taking a Trading System Live

kevinkdog   is a Vendor

Thanks Given: 1,892
Thanks Received: 7,350

coccigelus View Post
Did you think to put the same weights to each trading system to keep your portfolio balanced ?

I typically put all the systems I am running live together in one Monte Carlo simulation, and try to have it tell me approximate weights for each system. For example, it might tell me I should trade 4 contracts of system X, 3 contracts of System Y and 1 contract of system Z.

When I do that analysis, I try to maximize return/drawdown, within certain constraints (like no max drawdown abouve XX%).

The answer turns out to be more involved than that, but I think that explains the general idea.

Follow me on Twitter Started this thread
Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
Pivot Indicator like the old SwingTemp by Big Mike
NinjaTrader
MC PL editor upgrade
MultiCharts
Trade idea based off three indicators.
Traders Hideout
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
27 thanks
Tao te Trade: way of the WLD
23 thanks
Diary of a simple price action trader
22 thanks
My NQ Trading Journal
14 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
9 thanks

coccigelus
bangkok

Thanks Given: 17
Thanks Received: 12

kevinkdog View Post
Thanks for the comment.

It is nice having a civilized conversation here, as opposed to the drama at another forum, right @coccigelus ?

Stopping when the max historical dd is hit is a pretty good stopping point, even though many people say "your worst drawdown is always in the future." So, I sometimes use 1.5 * max dd.

Just for reference, based on 1 contract, the historical max dd is $3,265. Since I started trading live, the max dd on one contract has been about $1,800.

I was shocked for some comments I read there around and I felt bad for those that have experienced personal attacks with such intensity .

You are sitting at half of your maxdd so I will not be worried about. But I will try to do some test regarding the volatility and see how it can affect the yield. Few years ago I had a strategy on the wheat and I noticed that the volatility played an important role on that symbol. Maybe because the wheat behaviour is affected in some way by seasons?

Thanked by:

kevinkdog   is a Vendor

coccigelus View Post
I was shocked for some comments I read there around and I felt bad for those that have experienced personal attacks with such intensity .

You are sitting at half of your maxdd so I will not be worried about. But I will try to do some test regarding the volatility and see how it can affect the yield. Few years ago I had a strategy on the wheat and I noticed that the volatility played an important role on that symbol. Maybe because the wheat behaviour is affected in some way by seasons?

Yes, volatility plays a big role, and that is probably true for any system. Somewhere in this thread I looked at volatility, and it was down since I went live. That could explain some of the underperformance.

Thanked by:

kevinkdog   is a Vendor

coccigelus View Post

That is what makes Big Mike's such a great place. @Big Mike would have taken care of that other forum's issue immediately, before it spun out of control.

Thanked by:

coccigelus
bangkok

Thanks Given: 17
Thanks Received: 12

kevinkdog View Post
That is what makes Big Mike's such a great place. @Big Mike would have taken care of that other forum's issue immediately, before it spun out of control.

Anyway I Think there are responsabilities for both factions. It should be not allowed to talk in that way and at the same time stop the conversation with off topic comments widely used by some members. Than with the new guest it turned out to be an asylum instead of a forum. BTW I felt a bit sorry for Tim that had not the chance to continuing his conversation.

Thanked by:

kevinkdog   is a Vendor

Some great comments and questions so far...

Put yourself in my shoes: continue trading this system, quit trading it, or "it depends?"

I think it is a good exercise, because this situation is sort of a gray area...

Thanked by:

sixtyseven 
Golden Bay, New Zealand

Experience: Beginner
Platform: Sierra Chart
Trading: ES, NQ
Thanks Given: 851
Thanks Received: 337

Depends.

You have mentioned if volatility returns then you would expect some bigger winners. Not sure where that falls within your curve fitting parameters, but I'd test that in the historical data, and perhaps only trade those periods if the result was significant. The system depends on the big winners, and if they mostly occur during higher volatility, then....

It is a matter of luck when first sizing up so I'd want to have a better idea of the likely outcomes. As mentioned in a prior post - your chart doesn't accurately reflect the expected paths as its all based on 1 contract. I'd be surprised if you were actually below the lower band if you monte-carloed an increase in size. And this knowledge would give you a little more confidence.

Given the position sizing is so important I'd also spend a ton of time running different scenarios. Such as thresholds for going up, at what point to drop down again etc. The biggest hump is obviously going from 1 to 2. Given the size of your losers compared to the average smaller winner I'd say your doomed to be stuck between 1 and 2 until that lucky streak of 2 big winners comes along.

Thanked by:

addchild 
Bay Area California

Experience: None
Platform: TT T4
Broker: Phillip Capital
Trading: Futures
Thanks Given: 926
Thanks Received: 898

kevinkdog View Post
Some great comments and questions so far...

Put yourself in my shoes: continue trading this system, quit trading it, or "it depends?"

I think it is a good exercise, because this situation is sort of a gray area...

@kevinkdog would you be asking the same question if you were up 17%?

You seem to be questioning the system solely because you flipped a coin (increased exposure by 100%) and got burned. Had you been trading 10 contracts would you have jumped to 20? Probably not.

My suggestion is to either trade more contracts as a base to minimize in the increase in volatility when you increase size (how would you pnl look if you started with 2 contracts and only increased 50%, or 10 contracts and only increased 10%?), or spend significantly more trades at 1 contract to effectively earn the equity you need to hit a reasonable account volatility the next time you double your exposure.

Don't take it out on the poor system, it was only doing what you told it to do.

Thanked by:

kevinkdog   is a Vendor

sixtyseven View Post
Depends.

You have mentioned if volatility returns then you would expect some bigger winners. Not sure where that falls within your curve fitting parameters, but I'd test that in the historical data, and perhaps only trade those periods if the result was significant. The system depends on the big winners, and if they mostly occur during higher volatility, then....

It is a matter of luck when first sizing up so I'd want to have a better idea of the likely outcomes. As mentioned in a prior post - your chart doesn't accurately reflect the expected paths as its all based on 1 contract. I'd be surprised if you were actually below the lower band if you monte-carloed an increase in size. And this knowledge would give you a little more confidence.

Given the position sizing is so important I'd also spend a ton of time running different scenarios. Such as thresholds for going up, at what point to drop down again etc. The biggest hump is obviously going from 1 to 2. Given the size of your losers compared to the average smaller winner I'd say your doomed to be stuck between 1 and 2 until that lucky streak of 2 big winners comes along.

Thanks. You make some good points.

Re: volatility, you suggestion is a good idea for a study of past history. I'll have to look at what I've already done in this regard.

Re: position sizing, one thing I did not do is run a ton of different position sizing techniques. You are right, a different technique may have been a better choice. As it has turned out, both times I have scaled up have been met with a bunch of losses, pushing me back down.

Thanked by:

kevinkdog   is a Vendor

addchild View Post
@kevinkdog would you be asking the same question if you were up 17%?

You seem to be questioning the system solely because you flipped a coin (increased exposure by 100%) and got burned. Had you been trading 10 contracts would you have jumped to 20? Probably not.

My suggestion is to either trade more contracts as a base to minimize in the increase in volatility when you increase size (how would you pnl look if you started with 2 contracts and only increased 50%, or 10 contracts and only increased 10%?), or spend significantly more trades at 1 contract to effectively earn the equity you need to hit a reasonable account volatility the next time you double your exposure.

Don't take it out on the poor system, it was only doing what you told it to do.

Thanks, good points. You are 100% right, that the position sizing technique I used is more to blame than the system itself, even with the system underperforming.

Many people tend to think that position sizing is much less important than the system itself. Ralph Vince (of optimal f fame) claims positions sizing accounts for 90% of performance (the system being the other 10%). In this case, so far the position sizing technique has been the big determinant in the overall performance.

Thanked by:

Last Updated on January 6, 2016

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts